Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Finally... I can prove to my wife that she has spent half her day on Facebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

THIRD PARTY NAVIGATION IN APPLE CAR PLAY

I'm glad I can get gmaps, but for driving a plugin car I can finally use chargepoint app to get me to a charger.

Astro7x posted:

Finally... I can prove to my wife that she has spent half her day on Facebook.

Bwhahahh the shade thrown at facebook\instagram\google at the OS level is legendary.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Waze and google maps for CarPlay holy gently caress

Grouped notifications

:pray:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now Apple needs to let us specify default apps for things like map and browser apps.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

xzzy posted:

Now Apple needs to let us specify default apps for things like map and browser apps.

It looks like Siri shortcuts can get us one step closer...

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

ratbert90 posted:

THIRD PARTY NAVIGATION IN APPLE CAR PLAY

FINALLY

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Waze and google maps for CarPlay holy gently caress

Grouped notifications

:pray:

Ok, now you guys need to give me suggestions on a head unit that will accept a backup camera.

(16 WRX)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ok, now you guys need to give me suggestions on a head unit that will accept a backup camera.

(16 WRX)

The ILX-107 is my 2nd CarPlay aftermarket headunit. It’s really good. Wireless is cool and good and pretty seamless. Handles multi-driver cars really good. It connects to the last phone but you can connect to any previously connected phone with a few clicks. A local place had it for $600 for before install.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

(16 WRX)

I have an AppRadio 4, which is supposed to accept a backup camera, though it might not accept a built-in one. You'll have to do your own research.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, installed an ilx-107 earlier this year and it owns.

Added bonus: you can connect one phone to the usb to charge it and have another phone be connected via wireless carplay and the head unit doesn't lose its mind. Handy when I want the nav functions but the wife ran her battery down and doesn't want to leave apple maps up.

If you do go down that road, get the Maestro idatalink stuff for connecting to any steering wheel controls you have. You can run wires from your obd-2 port and plug it into the alpine and get nerd dials on your radio.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Last I asked about CarPlay someone pointed me towards crutchfield for finding a compatible unit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Last I asked about CarPlay someone pointed me towards crutchfield for finding a compatible unit.

Yeah, they also recommend install kits that include model specific wiring harnesses, tools, and instructions. And you also get access to an installation hotline.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Everyone in the US side of my family drives Rogues, so I’m glad Nissan has finally pulled their heads out their asses and included CarPlay in the new models.

Not that it’ll make a difference to my immediate family as we’re shopping older models, but I guess next upgrade time it means it’ll have it. Yay.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crutchfeld is good for getting all the right wires that match up with your car, but the "documentation" they provide is a 1 sheet pdf that basically amounts to "remove old head unit, connect matching wires, install new head unit." It's completely useless.

Guarantee you'll still end up spending hours digging up information how to disassemble your dash and where the plugs are for reverse sense.

Also if you buy alpine: don't forget to get a handbrake bypass. They lock out just about every single feature on the unit unless the handbrake is pulled and it's infuriating. They could have gone for a middle ground and detect whether the vehicle is moving (the unit has a gps receiver) but nah, they went full on CYA and shutdown literally everything unless a certain wire tells it the handbrake is engaged.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The one I got did, in fact, tell me how to disassemble my dash.

It didn't tell me which wires to connect together. And I did it wrong, apparently, since it doesn't detect the handbrake being pulled, even if it is. Ugh.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

ilx-107

:thunk:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah I got the same useless matrix for my car, and yet the wiring harnesses that showed up plugged into everything no problem and it all works. :shrug:

Well except for the aux port. I had to break out the soldering iron for that one. Wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it though, I never use it but since I had the dash apart I figured I'd go all-in.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
If you'd told me yesterday they'd allow Google Maps into CarPlay I'd have laughed at you.

What an awesome addition, and considering I drive 2-3hrs a day, I'm super excited to have it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have a Kenwood dnx573s and could not be happier with it for what its worth.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

I will be buying the Sony XAV-AX100, because it has a volume knob, and a clean design.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I didn't realize this many people had CarPlay

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My dad is pretty tech savvy but not really mobile device savvy. When he got a rental recently with CarPlay, he made it a point to mention it and how nice it was.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carplay could be half as usable as it is now and would still be better than the UI most manufacturers put into their stock head units.

Carplay is nice because once you plug in it looks exactly like every other carplay interface and works the same way. I assume the android one is the same, so I'm not making the point that carplay is the best thing ever, just that auto manufacturers are so loving trash at user interfaces.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

r, just that auto manufacturers are so loving trash at user interfaces.

This is no joke either. Even on the drat commercials for their stupid cars they can’t even make the UI look smooth. It’s hot garbage.

I was watching one the other day and the lady was trying to use the map and there was this delay from when she twisted her fingers to when the map actually moved. They can’t even fix that poo poo in their commercials lol.

Death to auto manufacturers poo poo. Give me car play or android play.

nerox
May 20, 2001
And to top all that off the cost difference between a factory normal cd/radio and the factory gps head unit is laughably high.

My Ford Truck has sync, which is a really good hands free solution and works perfectly for me with a $10 magnetic phone mount. It otherwise looks like a plain radio from the early 2000's.

My wife's Honda pilot is terrible, she can't voice dial with her phone or even play music through the bluetooth connection in it. But it was the top of the line system when it was new.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I like Ford’s stuff. I have the basic Sync in my Escape, and the voice controls work well, and everything is still done via buttons and not that touchscreen garbage.

I bought a mount to put my phone on the vent and that’s how I handle navigation.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

This is no joke either. Even on the drat commercials for their stupid cars they can’t even make the UI look smooth. It’s hot garbage.

I was watching one the other day and the lady was trying to use the map and there was this delay from when she twisted her fingers to when the map actually moved. They can’t even fix that poo poo in their commercials lol.

Death to auto manufacturers poo poo. Give me car play or android play.

More people need to do what Nissan did and get the guys who did Gran Turismo to the interfaces.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

If this works as people are interpreting this seems dumb and lovely and will kill Kindle/Comixology in current forms:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/06/04/new-app-store-review-guidelines/

quote:

Multiplatform Services: Apps that operate across multiple platforms may allow users to access content, subscriptions, or features they have acquired elsewhere, provided those items are also available as in-app purchases within the app. You must not directly or indirectly target iOS users to use a purchasing method other than in-app purchase, and your general communications about other purchasing methods must not discourage use of in-app purchase.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm planning a holiday and I'd like to be able to save a bunch of locations using Apple Maps as different folders/categories. Anyone know if this is possible or is a catch-all "Favourite" my only option? e.g. all the food/drink places we've looked up are in one list, sightseeing in another, entertainment in one more, etc.

I know Google Maps does this with the "My Maps" tool, but I'm wondering if Apple Maps is starting to catch up with them at all.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Maneki Neko posted:

If this works as people are interpreting this seems dumb and lovely and will kill Kindle/Comixology in current forms:

https://9to5mac.com/2018/06/04/new-app-store-review-guidelines/

I think both will be fine. It looks like it's specifically targeted at Steam and their recent link app.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

I like Ford’s stuff. I have the basic Sync in my Escape, and the voice controls work well, and everything is still done via buttons and not that touchscreen garbage.

I bought a mount to put my phone on the vent and that’s how I handle navigation.

I think Sync has a leg up because its first iterations came from Microsoft. Microsoft isn't a paragon of UI design in the desktop computing world, but in the automotive industry they'd be like god himself coming from the heavens and handing Moses the ten commandments about interface design.

Wikipedia says it's based on QNX now but I bet there's still a lot of design cues from Microsoft in there.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

I think Sync has a leg up because its first iterations came from Microsoft. Microsoft isn't a paragon of UI design in the desktop computing world, but in the automotive industry they'd be like god himself coming from the heavens and handing Moses the ten commandments about interface design.

Wikipedia says it's based on QNX now but I bet there's still a lot of design cues from Microsoft in there.

Yeah. It isn't hard to make a "good" car UI when the bar is set so drastically low, though. You only need one guy with some clout in the company and an ounce of good UX skills to make it work better than 99% of the stuff out there.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really might have to buy Ford Sync 3 hardware and swap out on my Sync 2 Escape. If it has wireless CarPlay definitely, give me that Spotify + Waze life.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of OEM car systems are built by Blackberry so...yeah. Obviously the carmakers slather their own favors of suck on top of that.

I want Carplay because the icons appear to be a decent size and they're not gradiented or skeuomorphed all to hell. Everything about my wife's Buick UI is some shade of blue with little buttons. You'd think automakers would have figured out that bright flat colors view more consistently in various ambient lighting environments, but no let's make poo poo look fancy and dark.

It's kind of ironic that Ford Sync gets high marks because apparently that was one of the worst. They had to go back and add in physical buttons because the early versions relied too heavily on onscreen controls.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think a lot of OEM car systems are built by Blackberry so...yeah. Obviously the carmakers slather their own favors of suck on top of that.

Most car systems these days are using Automotive grade linux (AGL)https://www.automotivelinux.org/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

2018, the year of Linux on the desktop dashboard.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Aux cord life :cool:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Praying for an X+ this September :pray:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Praying for an X+ this September :pray:

You and me both brother!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ratbert90 posted:

Most car systems these days are using Automotive grade linux (AGL)https://www.automotivelinux.org/

I only found articles about Toyota switching from QNX.

I have no doubt Blackberry will take it's market leader position and lose it, but right now it looks like most in-dash systems still use QNX. Even CarPlay is listed as a partner.