Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Fallout 4: Guest Starring Nightcrawler.

You also teleported straight behind that thing and smacked its rear end.

Meanwhile, I can't quit the railway rifle. Some say the cow head's still flying the skies to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

God the artillery in Fallout 4 feels so loving good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW4ysya4v5Y

Also met a very nice deathclaw, part of a certain quest. You know they're kinda cute when they aren't trying to actively rip your spine out through your mouth.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

When does the Brotherhood questline continue?

I'm running around the Institute getting ready to instigate civil war and Danse still doesn't have anything to say to me.

Ages back some people in Diamond City made ambient comments about a Brotherhood flying city arriving, but I haven't seen any other sign of it.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

When does the Brotherhood questline continue?

I'm running around the Institute getting ready to instigate civil war and Danse still doesn't have anything to say to me.

Ages back some people in Diamond City made ambient comments about a Brotherhood flying city arriving, but I haven't seen any other sign of it.

I had the Prydwen (brotherhood blimp) arrive after I left a certain building (I don't remember but it wasn't THAT far into the quest..maybe after Kellogg) as part of the main quest well before I ever hit the institute. It gives you like a panoramic view as it flies in and poo poo...not sure what happened to yours

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

TontoCorazon posted:

Also met a very nice deathclaw, part of a certain quest. You know they're kinda cute when they aren't trying to actively rip your spine out through your mouth.

Still can't see Jackson's Chameleon in those things, even since 1. I get it, radiation in the Fallout universe is a strange mistress and they were supposedly genetically modified Pre-War, but man.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 22, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

Is it just me or is the map really small? Even Skyrim felt bigger. I think I'm burned out of this game after only 50 hours. The game play is such a cutout from Skyrim, and the quests such a step back from new Vegas that I can't handle it anymore.

Well I hope you guys have more fun than I do.

I feel ya, but I found other things in this game that I liked. The world does feel really small and walking from Sanctuary to Salem only takes a few minutes when it feels like it takes that long to go from Whiterun to Solitude by horse. In my book FO4 is a good game, possibly great. It's got the best combat for a Fallout game, even if it's still a Fallout game's combat, and the minecrafty stuff was an inspired addition even if some people don't bother with it. The companions are also easy to get attached to, which is not something you'd expect from a Bethesda game so they're a big step up. There's just stuff other games do better (even by the same developer or in the same franchise) and I'll gladly admit that, even if I hurt one person's rpg feelings (I'm still laughing at that and am going to run this phrase into the ground, it's great) by comparing it poorly to the Witcher 3's quests and writing, which as far as I can tell is the most refined iteration of the Obsidian school of quest design.

No shame in having a different opinion though! And I can totally see someone getting burned out on FO4 after fifty hours if they were hoping for something approaching the scale of Skyrim or the interactivity of the New Vegas quest structure. The quest design alone basically kills half of the urge to replay the game since you can't really do things that differently since the quests aren't complex enough to reward players for having fun loving around with them.

I've surprised myself at how much I hate the BoS and Institute though. Spite is a pretty good motivator to get kinda invested in the story I guess lmao

because shaun sure isn't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0WxK4SZHdM
nabbed from the mod thread because gently caress yeah

Nuebot posted:

Melee isn't bad but why does bethesda have such a hatred for unarmed? I'm surprised they didn't just cut it out entirely from this game like they did with skyrim given how little you can do with it and the unarmed weapons.

It's long been the modders' duty to allow players to become the motherfucking Fist of the North Star.

Practically tradition even.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Still can't see Jackson's Chameleon in those things, even since 1. I get it, radiation in the Fallout universe is a strange mistress and they were supposedly genetically modified Pre-War, but man.

FEV's a hell of a thing

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Speaking of modder's duties, I can't wait until modding allows for new companions because I want a baby mirelurk to follow me around. They're cute as hell.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Yeah the Brotherhood were dicks in the other games but at least you could respect what they were doing (1, 2), or you felt sorry for them (NV).

But yeah, the things that fallout 4 does well (weapon mods, settlement building) are not thing I enjoy so I guess I'll let this one go. I hope Obsidian get another shot though, but a lot of people are gone from there now so who knows how it'll turn out.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
So I'm doing the Cabot House quest, and I'm at the point where I'm following a dude to a place. OK, fine, whatever, I shoot a few guys on the way, etcetera. Along the way Cait decides it's time for her heartfelt discussion, so I stop and talk things through with her so I can get her perk. Turn around to see that the dude I'm following got so far ahead that I no longer get a distance counter on the compass icon, and start chasing after him... to Saugus Ironworks? Kill the raiders outside, circle the building trying to see where he is, and then I realize what's up.

He's inside the building. Literally in the middle of the giant world model they use for the Saugus Ironworks building. I had to use tcl to walk into the building to find him, get his refID, and pull him out. :psyduck:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
How could you feel sorry for NV's BoS, especially on the heels of seeing the BoS done properly in 3? You kicked out the good ones, West Coast Brotherhood, you deserve what's coming. It makes their fall from grace in 4 that much more :smith:.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

Yeah the Brotherhood were dicks in the other games but at least you could respect what they were doing (1, 2), or you felt sorry for them (NV).

But yeah, the things that fallout 4 does well (weapon mods, settlement building) are not thing I enjoy so I guess I'll let this one go. I hope Obsidian get another shot though, but a lot of people are gone from there now so who knows how it'll turn out.

Yeah, FO4's gameplay with Obsidian-style quests would be pretty dope.

MisterBibs posted:

How could you feel sorry for NV's BoS, especially on the heels of seeing the BoS done properly in 3? You kicked out the good ones, West Coast Brotherhood, you deserve what's coming. It makes their fall from grace in 4 that much more :smith:.

You know I kind of agree with you and this surprises me more than anything else.

I mean I didn't necessarily think the 3 BoS were interesting when they were the knights in shining armor, but retroactively yeah, now they kind of are.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Finally caught up with the Railroad in the main story and gotten them to let me join, now everyone's come up to me and given me a bunch of stuff to do. Please tell me that they haven't just dropped a bunch more time-sensitive quests on my head on top of the ones already being shoveled on me any time I get too close to Preston or The Castle :negative:

Seriously, I almost want to side with the Brotherhood just because all their radiant quest poo poo is opt-in only.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really don't get settlements/happiness. My main one was at 72% so I thought I'd try to up it by making sure there was enough water/beds/food etc. and it dropped down to 60. Also, the list in the pip boy says it has no water despite there being like 12 pumps there and water getting carted in via supply lines...It doesn't make any sense. I can't figure out if it's bugged or just a lovely mechanic.

Edit: oh, and 0 defense also, despite the place being surrounded in turrets and manned guard posts.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 22, 2015

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Sure would love to stop teleporting to the ceiling of the skybox and falling to my death.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
One thing about the map size that I don't get is that how did all these websites get the idea that the map is bigger than Skyrim?. I mean a third of the map is just ocean.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The timed quests are really awful. I got one to go save a settler from a location I'd never been to on the furthest south end of the loving state. Like hell I'm going to walk all the way down there to save some rear end in a top hat I don't care about.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

NESguerilla posted:

I really don't get settlements/happiness. My main one was at 72% so I thought I'd try to up it by making sure there was enough water/beds/food etc. and it dropped down to 60. Also, the list in the pip boy says it has no water despite there being like 12 pumps there and water getting carted in via supply lines...It doesn't make any sense. I can't figure out if it's bugged or just a lovely mechanic.

Get rid of your televisions and jukeboxes. All of them. Everywhere.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

T.G. Xarbala posted:

rpg feelings

Quote your sources :P

Nuebot posted:

Speaking of modder's duties, I can't wait until modding allows for new companions because I want a baby mirelurk to follow me around. They're cute as hell.

There's already a mod for critter companions, but the Animal Friend perk makes them more or less permanent followers anyways. You can have an army of Deathclaw footmen, if that's how you want to roll.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, it's a known bug with certain electrical entertainment decorations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

jfood posted:

Quote your sources :P

wellllcome baaaaack

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

isndl posted:

Wow what a silly bug. No TV for these guys I guess. They didn't deserve it anyways.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Wow what a silly bug. No TV for these guys I guess. They didn't deserve it anyways.

Can't even get cable on those things, no big loss.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Are any of the companions alright with cannibalism? I wanna powerfist/eat some dudes. I guess Strong probably doesn't mind, but he's hard to work with. :saddowns:

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

THE loving MOON posted:

Are any of the companions alright with cannibalism? I wanna powerfist/eat some dudes. I guess Strong probably doesn't mind, but he's hard to work with. :saddowns:

I think Codsworth is.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
For real?? That's awesome, Codsworth is the best

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

isndl posted:

Is this seriously a bug? Or just a joke? Because it'd explain why Sanctuary Hills was so buggy for me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm pretty sure Strong actually likes it when you eat people.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

THE loving MOON posted:

For real?? That's awesome, Codsworth is the best

Its a grotesque way of cleaning up some of the mess you made.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He talks about how much he likes eating people a lot so I'm sure he's cool with it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Its a grotesque way of cleaning up some of the mess you made.

But it isn't rust!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

THE loving MOON posted:

I don't think any of them LIKE it, specifically (maybe Strong, not sure), but about half of them don't specifically dislike it, either.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I found MacReady, I paid caps, I have no idea where the gently caress he is now. Where is MacReadys default location? I went to 3rd Rail and I didn't see him anywhere

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Codsworth and Curie both do not mind when you cannibalize. Which is nice of them. They realize I need protein.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Just wondering, do you guys prefer the the old system with skills or the new one? Cuz I think skills added a sense of granularity that is not there in the new system. Also I hate that they just turned a lot of sills such as lock pick into perks that are level gated.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

SalTheBard posted:

I found MacReady, I paid caps, I have no idea where the gently caress he is now. Where is MacReadys default location? I went to 3rd Rail and I didn't see him anywhere

Maybe your MacReady is hanging out with my Robot Detective in hiding somewhere, because I've spent the last, like, two days off and on looking around for him.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think I would prefer the new system if there were more perks, but as it stands its too barebones for my characters to really feel distinct. With the old one you kind of defined the way your character is gonna progress through your choice of skills and perks. On a level up it felt like I had more choices to make in regards to where I put my skill points and what perks I pick. The downside to this was the gunplay was garbage until you got more points into the relevant weapon skills. At least now bullets actually go where you aim them.

Now? I rarely find myself debating what perk to pick. Its just getting the best perks ASAP and then upgrading them as soon as I meet the level requirement. It basically serves the same purpose as skill points did. I feel like only picking perks would be more interesting if there where more perks to choose from, and there were less obvious choices that you should take. Right now it feels like there's a weird mix of specalized perks and ones that are also incredibly broad. The fact that there aren't any perks related to energy weapons, for example, is really dumb.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Weren't locks gated before as you couldn't do advanced or very hard hacks without significant numbers? The only problem with the new perk system is that many aren't on Idiot Savant's level and INT isn't worth it anymore. If they could just have introduced something that could be better influenced by INT besides XP gain or made stuff like life giver or toughness actually interesting instead of being the same boring legacy perks then the new system would be perfect. As it stands its alright, but not very interesting outside of Ricochet or max Nuclear Physicist.

Maybe not only bring in more perks but even more quest or special perks that you get out of specific choices or earning it by fulfilling a challenge.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 22, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

ToxicAcne posted:

Just wondering, do you guys prefer the the old system with skills or the new one? Cuz I think skills added a sense of granularity that is not there in the new system. Also I hate that they just turned a lot of sills such as lock pick into perks that are level gated.

I'm on the fence. I like the variety you get from the new system, but I also liked that with the old system I felt you could "build" your character more effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

coyo7e posted:

Okay I'll bite: where is this magical spot?

There's a hardware store with a "woman in distress" that leads you inside to some kind of ambush. It's called "hardware town" and it's southwest of Diamond City. I can't say for certain it will ALWAYS have cores, but every time I've gone in I've gotten 4 from a container on the top shelf of the storage room in the back. It's set up the same way shelves are at like costco and you have to climb your way up by jumping.

• Locked thread