Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

What happened to star marine and any new news?

:downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gryphon0468
Oct 3, 2015

ASK ME IF YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO SUCK OFF CHRIS ROBERTS

Lowtax posted:

I love this thread and will adamantly predict it will end up as the biggest Internet "TOLD YOU SO" ever. Keep up the good fight,guys!

What would be your criteria for an "I told you so!"? And at what point will you admit you were wrong?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I wonder how much energy CIG developers spend on getting all of the unskippable "immersive" animations in the game.

I know the company line states that they're doing it because it's a "simulation", but they're spending all their energy on simulating the wrong things.

They are simulating:

- Getting out of bed
- Climbing a ladder into the cockpit
- Waiting in an airlock
- Getting in/out of the pilot seat
- Getting in/out of a bunk bed

They have not yet simulated (although I assume it's planned):

- Ship physics
- Combat physics (projectiles, missiles, etc.)

Which comprise the core of a combat simulator. They're prioritizing form over function - the first set of items looks good on a demo, the second set doesn't really get noticeable until you get into the meat of the game.

If you're going to give me an unskippable, highly irritating little cutscene of me getting out of bed, why draw the line there? Why not going to the bathroom, eating, etc. as others have mentioned? There are plenty of survival games on the market that have these things, and several of them are very popular.

The game makes me feel trapped by, rather than immersed in, the environment and its design decisions thus far. If you criticize any of it, you get bombarded by their toxic cult community. But surely there must be room for improvement?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gryphon0468 posted:

What would be your criteria for an "I told you so!"? And at what point will you admit you were wrong?

New Vegas style- when Star Citizen releases and has an 85% or better ranking on metacritic.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Gryphon0468 posted:

We'll admit we're wrong when the game works and all the things they say they've added are actually added.

OR

We'll admit we're wrong when chris Roberts learns how to play his own game.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gryphon0468 posted:

When CR delivers everything he promised for the budget he specified.

welp

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

I think Chris saw people making fun of that star marine video before citcon and cancelled it in a rage. I mean they made star marine the big teaser for citcon, even the cultists weren't impressed then it was never heard from again. Very weird, would explain why citcon was almost entirely fluff if they'd planned some star marine content but Chris had a bit shitfit and threw that all out

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

I like how the rockets spawned from inside the ship firing them and flew out the front of the cockpit. A little disappointed they didn't drag the pilot with them though.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Star Marine was never promised as an independent feature, it was always meant to be integrated in the gameplay exactly as it is now.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
The post-mortems for this mess are going to be some fine reading

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Gryphon0468 posted:

What would be your criteria to realize you've been scammed and you've missed the boat on getting your money back?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Gryphon0468 posted:

Is the game out yet?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The cultists are right. Just 30% of this game getting made would make for an awesome game. Because let's face it, the rest of it is retarded minigames that'll actively make it *worse*.

The issue here is, though, 4 years in, less than 1% of it works.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

We'll admit we're wrong when the game works and all the things they say they've added are actually added.

honestly I'd take less than that-- if they can get their current tech demo into a solid state, they'll be in the same boat as elite dangerous w/r/t having a good framework to build up

at which point they could punt on 90% of their claimed feature list and still have a game that's at least worth spending :20bux::20bux: on

it's the whole "non-lovely tech demo" that i don't expect ever to happen because it'd require yet another rewrite from scratch, though, so lol etc

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

The cultists are right. Just 30% of this game getting made would make for an awesome game. Because let's face it, the rest of it is retarded minigames that'll actively make it *worse*.

You know nothing John Smart.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Truga posted:

So, 4 years in, 1% working. 4*30=120.

GOTY 2135.

I'd like to congratulate Microsoft in advance, the project was stalled for the last 2 decades at 17%, but the buyout 4 months before release really made things start moving along, especially after the hard reset on all assets and engine change.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Also trying to explain "the moment of realisation that you're wrong" to a backer of Star Citizen who chases someone across Reddit to tell them all about the 'horrible' things that person did? Good loving luck with that.

Derek call your book There's No Whales in Space or something similar in honor of the one time Chris Roberts said no to something his gaggle of morons asked for as future content, and also the fact that when CIG implodes they'll all end up with nothing.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

So gryphon I think what we're trying to say is.....gently caress off because we're not wrong.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MeLKoR posted:

Star Marine was never promised as an independent feature, it was always meant to be integrated in the gameplay exactly as it is now.

Star marine was both its standalone thing and going to be used as the foundation of the fps side of SC and SQ42. Of course the project management for this game has been a nightmare so none of the work done in star marine could be ported over to the base SC.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gryphon0468 posted:

i answered your question honestly so feel free to come back when all the physics/flight models are working and people aren't noclipping through their ships tia

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Star marine was both its standalone thing and going to be used as the foundation of the fps side of SC and SQ42. Of course the project management for this game has been a nightmare so none of the work done in star marine could be ported over to the base SC.

Star Marine was never promised as a standalone, citizen. :commissar:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

So gryphon I think what we're trying to say is.....gently caress off because we're not wrong.

Please don't chase GryphonDoritoDust69 away. After Octopode got kidnapped by Isis and Karl was recruited personally by MechaHitler as his Nazi Auditor, things have really got quiet on the "Poop trying to touch us" front.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Nothing in Star Citizen will truly be standalone because there's always going to be someone trying to prop it up Weekend at Bernie's style to ensure no one else notices.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Gryphon0468 posted:

I'll kick myself if it turns out Star Citizen is good and I missed the chance to spend $2500 on it.

But on the other hand I'll still have a basic game package so I really hope it doesn't bother me that much. I will feel a bit embarrassed though in game when people bring the subject up. "Don't you feel a bit guilty getting the same experience for a fraction of the cost?" they'll say, and I'll just feel terribly guilty about it and shuffle about from foot to immersive experience foot.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Truga posted:

The issue here is, though, 4 years in, less than 1% of it "works".

Fixed it for you.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Iglocska posted:

Fixed it for you.

Heeey now. The loading screens work PERFECTLY.

Just a shame about the actual loading part.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

35 pages to go! I'll admit, I'm really hyped. I hope D_Smart, Bootcha, B4BG, PGabz and Eonwe all have their milestone posts ready.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Gryphon0468 posted:

I'm going to effortpost a response here, and I will attempt to be respectful.

Speaking only for myself, I have no emotional investment in the following things:

- The completion of Star Citizen
- Me being right about it

So in the event the game is even partially completed, and is fun, I will not only admit I was wrong, but happily admit it. Because what have I lost? A new game is out, and it's fun, and I get to enjoy it. "Being wrong" is hardly a painful experience, especially once you're past a certain age.

I suspect most others in this thread have similar mental states with regard to Star Citizen, but I will not speak for them.

So that takes care of me, what about you? I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that despite your posting history, you have a similar mental state. If the game fails, you will admit you were wrong, and you won't get too upset about it, since there are plenty of other games to play. I will assume that being wrong is something you will take in stride, and not get too bent out of shape over.

So far, we have no argument. So that leaves these questions:

- Do you think the extremists in the SC community will have the same healthy outlook and maturity if this goes south?
- What about the man who isn't sure if he will choose his farm and his livelihood over this game? What will happen to him if this fails?
- What about the man who left his addiction to SC JPEGS out of his divorce proceedings so he could get custody of his children; who, by the way, barely rated a footnote in his post, coming in second to his spaceships?
- Just casually search this thread, or CIG forums, to find countless examples of these people. What will happen to them?

I don't think you'll find anyone in this thread who will have a destroyed life if this game fails. Worrying about whether or not anyone here will "admit they were wrong" is laughable. It's not about being wrong or right. The people on the other side of this fence include some very unhealthy people, and I think the focus should be less on who is right, and more on what is going to happen to them if and when they turn out to be wrong.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 30, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
35 pages in 24 hours is going to take a concentrated shitposting effort

it's a good thing E:D has community goals implemented or we'd already be boned

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

35 pages in 24 hours is going to take a concentrated shitposting effort

it's a good thing E:D has community goals implemented or we'd already be boned

The toughest part is that CIG is taking some holiday time, so their MPH (mistakes per hour) has decreased considerably.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Scruffpuff posted:

I don't think you'll find anyone in this thread who will have a destroyed life if this game fails. Worrying about whether or not anyone here will "admit they were wrong" is laughable. It's not about being wrong or right. The people on the other side of this fence include some very unhealthy people, and I think the focus should be less on who is right, and more on what is going to happen to them if and when they turn out to be wrong.

to be perfectly honest star citizen succeeding would be worth it for the sole purpose of seeing the reaction of derek smart, internet warlord esq

fortunately or unfortunately, i feel like betting that "regardless of what's actually released, star citizen will not live up to it's own hype and will end up going down in the same annals of failure as duke nukem" is like betting on the continued rotation of the earth

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

AP posted:

I'll kick myself if it turns out Star Citizen is good and I missed the chance to spend $2500 on it.

But on the other hand I'll still have a basic game package so I really hope it doesn't bother me that much. I will feel a bit embarrassed though in game when people bring the subject up. "Don't you feel a bit guilty getting the same experience for a fraction of the cost?" they'll say, and I'll just feel terribly guilty about it and shuffle about from foot to immersive experience foot.

Look at this guy, with the answer that owns and owned.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Xaerael posted:

Heeey now. The loading screens work PERFECTLY.

Just a shame about the actual loading part.

Except when you get that annoying "pew" sound stuck on repeat for the full 10 minutes of loading.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm going to effortpost a response here, and I will attempt to be respectful.

Speaking only for myself, I have no emotional investment in the following things:

- The completion of Star Citizen
- Me being right about it

So in the event the game is even partially completed, and is fun, I will not only admit I was wrong, but happily admit it. Because what have I lost? A new game is out, and it's fun, and I get to enjoy it. "Being wrong" is hardly a painful experience, especially once you're past a certain age.

I suspect most others in this thread have similar mental states with regard to Star Citizen, but I will not speak for them.

So that takes care of me, what about you? I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that despite your posting history, you have a similar mental state. If the game fails, you will admit you were wrong, and you won't get too upset about it, since there are plenty of other games to play. I will assume that being wrong is something you will take in stride, and not get too bent out of shape over.

So far, we have no argument. So that leaves these questions:

- Do you think the extremists in the SC community will have the same healthy outlook and maturity if this goes south?
- What about the man who isn't sure if he will choose his farm and his livelihood over this game? What will happen to him if this fails?
- What about the man who left his addiction to SC JPEGS out of his divorce proceedings so he could get custody of his children; who, by the way, barely rated a footnote in his post, coming in second to his spaceships?
- Just casually search this thread, or CIG forums, to find countless examples of these people. What will happen to them?

Yeah that's what I meant when I told gryphon to gently caress off, but seriously good job.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
What happens at 1000 pages, I missed something I think.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

AP posted:

It's like the odometer flipping on a car. Nothing is more exciting.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AP posted:

the prophecy will be fulfilled, loish will get his refund, sandi will be sealed away for 10,000 years and be reborn as a power rangers villain

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

AP posted:

Nothing, just like Star Citizen hitting $100m

:thejoke:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

"Being wrong" is hardly a painful experience, especially once you're past a certain age.

Stop revealing internet secrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walnuts
Feb 17, 2007
HEY.... Take the money.
has anyone tried playing it since they released 2.0? the gameplay is actually quite good. I haven't had this much fun in a game i've purchased since Line of Defence. AMA

edit: what's with all the downvotes

walnuts fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 30, 2015

• Locked thread