Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Mordja posted:

Once again there are NO PRIZES. That's right, NO PRIZES. Suck my dick, bitch!!

i have been betrayed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
The real prizes were the posts we made along the way.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

spincube posted:

Does that make them a gimmick?

:shrug: Maybe an advertising gimmick. It worked on me, though I only heard about it from this thread; I don't know how much the dev publicized it. For the record, that's not the only reason I bought the game. I was already interested. That was just the last piece that got me to pull the trigger.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

wizard2 posted:

Yeah, can you elaborate by what you mean by "tedious"? What are you having difficulty with?

Like.. there are certain areas that can be slogs if you don't know the tricks, but the initial goblin attack on the grove is typically nowhere near that. Right now, you should be Level 2 or maybe 3, without any real interesting powers or gear and exploring the map at your own pace. Do not fret about Long Rest, you can do so safely.

Hmm, well it's hard to pin down i guess, but i think it might just be down to the pacing of that first area and the amount of effort it felt was needed just to get to that village. I appreciate I've barely given it any time at all, but there was a sense of urgency that had me hooked in that very first section which ground to a halt when i had to then start walking through beaches feeling like i had to click on all the barrels and bushes to find miscelaneous stuff.

I then stumbled into some ruins and got attacked by people for reasons (I'm guessing they were robbing the place?) which resulted in everyone dying because none of my attacks were really doing anything to them.

IIRC that then resulted in a huge chunk of time being lost because it didn't save earlier or something.

So i skipped that, and found some dying mindflayer thing which again wiped my party after accidentally instigating a fight. I luckily had made a manual save before that, so not much to repeat. Anyway, I skipped that route and then found that village, managed to eventually beat the things attacking it, and get inside.

That's when i bailed and started something else because all that stuff that hooked me in the beginning was long gone and it felt like a massive slog just to walk up the equivalent of a hill. I figured if the rest of the game was going to be like that then it was going to just be frustrating to play.

That's why i was asking if the plot picks up at any point soon after that or something. I do like games with a good engaging story, but if i need to play through, say, 5 hours of things like the above before i get to any of it then that feels a bit tedious to me.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kin posted:

Hmm, well it's hard to pin down i guess, but i think it might just be down to the pacing of that first area and the amount of effort it felt was needed just to get to that village. I appreciate I've barely given it any time at all, but there was a sense of urgency that had me hooked in that very first section which ground to a halt when i had to then start walking through beaches feeling like i had to click on all the barrels and bushes to find miscelaneous stuff.

I then stumbled into some ruins and got attacked by people for reasons (I'm guessing they were robbing the place?) which resulted in everyone dying because none of my attacks were really doing anything to them.

IIRC that then resulted in a huge chunk of time being lost because it didn't save earlier or something.

So i skipped that, and found some dying mindflayer thing which again wiped my party after accidentally instigating a fight. I luckily had made a manual save before that, so not much to repeat. Anyway, I skipped that route and then found that village, managed to eventually beat the things attacking it, and get inside.

That's when i bailed and started something else because all that stuff that hooked me in the beginning was long gone and it felt like a massive slog just to walk up the equivalent of a hill. I figured if the rest of the game was going to be like that then it was going to just be frustrating to play.

That's why i was asking if the plot picks up at any point soon after that or something. I do like games with a good engaging story, but if i need to play through, say, 5 hours of things like the above before i get to any of it then that feels a bit tedious to me.

The rest of the game is pretty similar, yeah. You need to be saving a lot and experimenting with things. There are tons of containers to search all over the place. It's an old-school CRPG, that's just how it works.

Sounds like it's just not a good fit.

e: Also I legit did not know you could even fight that dying mindflayer, if you just walk up and talk to it, it dies in a cutscene :v:

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Kin posted:

If it helps, I had a tough time playing Baldur's Gate 3 for similar reasons.

Part of it is my own fault: like you, I'm spending so much time inspecting every single thing and getting dragged into so many sidequests that I lose track of everything and just feel exhausted and as if I've made no progress. I'm the kind of fool that, when, say, they want you to infiltrate a building, I won't just make it in there with the first route I find: no, I won't rest until I've gone in and out of the building with every route to maximize gains.

But I also think that the pacing and urgency gets hurt a bit as you say: BG3 does everything it can to give you excuse after excuse to not feel compelled to do the main quest and get cured, and while that's good for people who want to explore, I felt rather confused and lost motivation because of it.

It's definitely a cool game though! Just not a match for me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Scalding Coffee posted:

They probably only did it because it was AFTER losing tens of thousands of subscribers over Stella Blade.

Finally... the PS5 has a game

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Kin posted:

YUP. it sounds like the game may not be a great fit in a way that couldnt have been so apparent. do not feel bad if you walk away now instead of trying to power through. maybe you can revisit in the future with new eyes? who knows.

I have some great news tho? it's May 2024 and there are ALL THE GOOD GAMES so have at it. :cheers:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Only played the demo and Cryptmaster would be a buy if you don't have any games to play with right now. It would help to have a cheat sheet to keep track of what words to use and what they do. I kept the advice off and couldn't remember how to open chests beyond a few words. Battles can be turn-based if you want, but the cooldown is still a thing. Enemy attack cooldown seems a bit fast and the prompts could appear a little faster. You can unheroically vandalize save points to heal. There may be fishing.

The game will remark on your words and deeds and make you regret it.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also because I’ve seen some confusion about it: Cryptmaster doesn’t have AI-generated responses, it’s all prerecorded lines and while there’s a decent amount of funny unexpected reactions, you should expect more of a puzzle game than a façade-like

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's Tower of Time done. More fun than I was expecting, though it did drag on a little too long. Clocked in at 37 hours, and the gameplay just wasn't varied enough for that. Still a thumbs up from me.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Phlegmish posted:

That's Tower of Time done. More fun than I was expecting, though it did drag on a little too long. Clocked in at 37 hours, and the gameplay just wasn't varied enough for that. Still a thumbs up from me.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
:cool::respek::cool:
:hellyeah:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

spincube posted:

Does that make them a gimmick?

Yeah I remember some queer posters on the Steam forums being pretty annoyed at their pronouns being used to troll bigots.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Phlegmish posted:

Grats! I gotta get to finishing that soon, once I stop sampling every game coming out like I'm at Baskin Robbins. What party did you end up using after all?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FutureCop posted:

Grats! I gotta get to finishing that soon, once I stop sampling every game coming out like I'm at Baskin Robbins. What party did you end up using after all?

I stuck with Kane/Boron/Maeve/Aeric throughout. Boron was an absolute beast and did by far the most DPS of anyone, just shredded enemies left and right. Maeve had trouble keeping up, although she was still useful. Fair warning though, you will be forced to use your B-team at one point, so make sure they're either fully equipped, or you have spare gear in your inventory (instead of dismantling everything).

One thing I noticed is that they really could have used someone to proofread their writing. The punctuation in this game is awful, just missing commas everywhere. The dialogues usually read like fan fiction, partly because of this reason. Other than that the grammar is mostly correct, although in some cases they drop the definite article for some reason. I assume the devs are Russian or something.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Finally buying Hades on sale but struggling to find other cheapo items to add to my cart because buying just one thing feels wrong

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Wolfsheim posted:

Finally buying Hades on sale but struggling to find other cheapo items to add to my cart because buying just one thing feels wrong
:same:
Except I have this and only know about it cause I stumbled on gameplay clips of it on youtube:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/773370/Exo_One/

Somewhat related:

Is the steam version of Dwarf Fortress as up to date as the free version?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't worry, Hades is really the only game you need.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Is the steam version of Dwarf Fortress as up to date as the free version?
Non-beta branch Steam Version is 50.13, same as current free version. It's not exactly at feature parity with 47.05, the last pre-Steam version (though Adventure mode is coming and is already in testing on the beta branch), but the developer intent is to keep both versions of the game up to date with each other from versions 50.0 onward.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

be my friend its me sid i got a steamdeck so add me on steam okay love you

https://steamcommunity.com/id/sidvicious_/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Perestroika posted:

The one thing that in the end made me not finish BG3 (so far, at least) was that the sense of pacing just felt off. There was a point where everything came to a head, plotlines converged, the main threat was revealed, everything looked like we're about to head onto the final stretch and zoom towards the finish line... and then the third act started. The third act, which appears to be substantially longer than either of the first two, or maybe even both of them put together, and is structured as a kind of sandboxy hub where you gradually explore and gently caress around. That just really took the wind out of my sails, doubly so because at that point I kinda felt like I'd seen most of what the gameplay itself had to offer.

yeah, this is me, it's such an incredible rollercoaster up to then, and pflpflflflfl. it's not even bad, there's lots of neat quests, it just took the wind out of my sails.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I dunno what's up with goons and the third act of BG3. I thought it was great. It had the same feeling of getting Baldur's Gate in BG1 and Starting in Athkatla in BG2, without any of the frustrating rear end handing those two dealt out.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Nothing against Act 3 of BG3, it's just that the ending of Act 2 is fuckin' intense as hell. The little interlude chapter at the camp does a good job resetting the tone, though.

"The ends, here and now!"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just fundamentally don't enjoy the urban parts of any CRPG. I'm way more interested in the adventuring through wilderness and dungeons and fighting monsters and stuff and I just kind of lost interest when I got to act 3, then never went back to it. I did play through act 1+2 twice though :kiddo:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just fundamentally don't enjoy the urban parts of any CRPG. I'm way more interested in the adventuring through wilderness and dungeons and fighting monsters and stuff and I just kind of lost interest when I got to act 3, then never went back to it. I did play through act 1+2 twice though :kiddo:

Yeah, any time I get to a big town or city in an RPG it just feels like a huge loving chore.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My brother and I are about hitting act 3 of Baldur's Gate 3 and I'm looking forward to being overwhelmed once again. Guess where our last game ended...

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

final fantasy 14 raiding without actually playing an mmo https://store.steampowered.com/app/2132850/Rabbit_and_Steel/

i have been playing it with some of my ff14 raid group and it is very fun

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Awesome! posted:

final fantasy 14 raiding without actually playing an mmo https://store.steampowered.com/app/2132850/Rabbit_and_Steel/

to preempt the inevitable question: yes, it is still very good solo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Awesome! posted:

I wish we could get this but with Final Fantasy XI graphics.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah you actually get some different mechanics when solo so it feels cool to play it either way.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

I said come in! posted:

I wish we could get this but with Final Fantasy XI graphics.

i just want FFXI Offline

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ShadowMar posted:

i just want FFXI Offline

:same:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I dunno what's up with goons and the third act of BG3. I thought it was great. It had the same feeling of getting Baldur's Gate in BG1 and Starting in Athkatla in BG2, without any of the frustrating rear end handing those two dealt out.

I assume it's fatigue setting in + the fact that the game drops a billion quests on you at once, in a huge contiguous area. I'm usually easily overwhelmed by something like that as well, but this time I actually had the opposite reaction, and I got even more hooked. I agree with the comparison to the cities in the first two Baldur's Gates, it's the same kind of feeling, even though BG3 is otherwise mostly dissimilar to its predecessors. You explore a random NPC's basement and spend the next several hours breaking up a literally underground dog fighting ring or something.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, I loved the BG3 act 3 and that was literally 45% of my playthrough by time.

Honestly, took me longer to beat that single game than the entire Mass Effect Trilogy, if each act had been sold as a separate title I wouldn't have felt ripped off.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
BG3 Act 3 felt really closed in to me compared to the first two. It felt like a funnel to the end of the game even though it was massive, somehow.

I didn't hate it but I can also see why people who liked the exploration of the first two acts would think it's weaker. It's so densely packed with things that there's no real distance between any of them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Gripper posted:

BG3 Act 3 felt really closed in to me compared to the first two. It felt like a funnel to the end of the game even though it was massive, somehow.

I didn't hate it but I can also see why people who liked the exploration of the first two acts would think it's weaker. It's so densely packed with things that there's no real distance between any of them.

I wish it was as much of a funnel as you say, then I wouldn't have broken 2/3rds of the Act 3 quests by exploring it in the wrong way.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm not as into CRPGs as I used to be, but back when I was more into them I was the exact opposite. Super stoked for any new urban city or town area but bored if dungeons/wilderness stretched on too long.

I haven't played BG3 but I've experienced a similar kind of game fatigue in a lot of 'huge' games. Stuff like AC: Odyssey (or any of the million other open world Ubi games) and RDR2.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Witcher 3 was great in the big city of Novigrad but by the time I got to Skellige I was burned out badly

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I haven't played BG3

dafuq . . .

I shouldn't judge, my usual MO is to buy good games on sale years after they release and then rave about them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I play games long after release. Both lets opinions simmer down so you get a more realistic take on the game and, you know, it's cheaper.