Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
The cryptocurrency exchange Gemini is currently paying 8% APY on their USD-backed stablecoin, GUSD. (A stablecoin is a cryptocurrency that's pegged to a real-world currency.) The rate should last about as long as the current bull market in crypto. My close friends think Gemini has zero chance of defaulting. (And they're paranoid enough to be worried about other exchanges.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I think I've used up my "does not belong in this thread" tokens so instead I'll just say:

lol

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The cryptocurrency exchange in my butt is currently paying 8% APY on its USD-backed stablecoin, poo poo. (A stablecoin is a cryptocurrency that's pegged to a real-world currency.) The rate should last about as long as the current bull market in crypto. My close friends think my butt has zero chance of defaulting. (And they're paranoid enough to be worried about other exchanges.)

Buy my poo poo now!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Is your butt deflationary, or inflationary? Economists continue to predict inflationary butts having better performance among anacondas, according to sworn affidavits.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

https://www.coindesk.com/business/2020/08/04/genesis-crypto-lending-rebounds-in-2q-firm-acknowledges-unsecured-loans/ posted:

Genesis' Crypto Lending Rebounds in 2Q; Firm Acknowledges Unsecured Loans
Genesis’ crypto lending arm came back strong in 2Q after a rocky 1Q. Separately, executives acknowledged the firm makes some uncollateralized loans.

Genesis claims the interest it collects from borrowers entirely funds the interest it pays its lenders. Moro would not say whether it rehypothecates collateral. Genesis’ vice president of lending, Matt Ballensweig, said the firm makes some uncollateralized loans to “strategic partners,” but would not say how big a percentage of its loan volume was unsecured.

Firms that borrow from Genesis are hedge funds, quantitative trading firms, crypto exchanges, other crypto lenders, and crypto operating companies such as bitcoin ATM firms
(Genesis is the company that lends out crypto tokens from Gemini.)

Please don't risk emergency or earmarked funds on this, or make it the basis of your long-term saving strategy.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Cugel the Clever posted:

my butt is currently pegged

Buy my poo poo now!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xom posted:

The cryptocurrency exchange Gemini is currently paying 8% APY on their USD-backed stablecoin, GUSD. (A stablecoin is a cryptocurrency that's pegged to a real-world currency.) The rate should last about as long as the current bull market in crypto. My close friends think Gemini has zero chance of defaulting. (And they're paranoid enough to be worried about other exchanges.)

instead of investing in buttcoins you should invest in T&A instead, see thread title

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
I've been experimenting with covered call ETF's recently (QYLD) for the dividend yield, and I'm wondering if it's even worth it for me to continue buying more. The monthly dividends are nice and my thought process was to DCA each month and let it compound until retirement. I'm still several decades away from retirement, so is dividend investing in my IRA really even worth it right now?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Xom posted:

The cryptocurrency exchange Gemini is currently paying 8% APY on their

Gemini is SoFi with $2 billion USD cash in the bank

Mack the Spork
Apr 25, 2007
Eh?

pokeyman posted:

The middle ground, as you might've guessed, is paying the mortgage sooner but not asap, then investing the remainder. Set up a lil spreadsheet or find a calculator so you can see what different scenarios look like.

Thank you, that's really good advice! I've done some spreadsheeting and it makes it very obvious that investing the majority of my extra funds is the smartest choice over the long term, even with worse-case returns.

For pure peace of mind I'll pay a tiny bit extra on the mortgage (future-proofing against any extreme mortgage rate changes), with at least 3.5/4 of my extra funds into investing. As time goes on I might get more comfortable not putting anything extra on the mortgage and going full tilt on investing, will see.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
So it seems like HMBradley has gone invite-only, does anyone have a couple of invites they can share for myself and my wife? Thanks!

Got one, thanks!

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 18, 2021

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I had a defined benefit pension at a former employer. When I left 6 years ago, the lump sum payout for immediate distribution was $40k. It is now $100k due to me being that much closer to retirement as well as dropping interest rates.

I understand the lump sum calculation is a function of interest rates, higher rates = lower lump sum. So I've been thinking about timing the market and taking the distribution and rolling it into my new employer's 401k. I confirmed with my 401k custodian that they can do this.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around whether it's a good idea or not. Initially I was concerned about the viability of the pension fund (public company). But it seems well funded according to the annual letter they send out. Plus the PBGC guarantees your payout will be there so I'm not as concerned on the front.

I would still like to have control over the money to invest how I see fit according to my preferred asset allocation. But on the other hand, having a guaranteed monthly payment when I retire also sounds good. Presumably the pension calculation would be superior to an annuity I tried to purchase on my own, the logic there being that the pension is calculated using a wide range of participants' age/health (both sick and healthy) where-as an annuity likely has participants who are in good enough health to worry about outliving their assets.

Has anyone gone through this process before?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

spf3million posted:

I had a defined benefit pension at a former employer. When I left 6 years ago, the lump sum payout for immediate distribution was $40k. It is now $100k due to me being that much closer to retirement as well as dropping interest rates.

I understand the lump sum calculation is a function of interest rates, higher rates = lower lump sum. So I've been thinking about timing the market and taking the distribution and rolling it into my new employer's 401k. I confirmed with my 401k custodian that they can do this.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around whether it's a good idea or not. Initially I was concerned about the viability of the pension fund (public company). But it seems well funded according to the annual letter they send out. Plus the PBGC guarantees your payout will be there so I'm not as concerned on the front.

I would still like to have control over the money to invest how I see fit according to my preferred asset allocation. But on the other hand, having a guaranteed monthly payment when I retire also sounds good. Presumably the pension calculation would be superior to an annuity I tried to purchase on my own, the logic there being that the pension is calculated using a wide range of participants' age/health (both sick and healthy) where-as an annuity likely has participants who are in good enough health to worry about outliving their assets.

Don't time the market.

(I don't have a good enough understanding of pensions to provide any other thoughts one way or another).

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

fatman1683 posted:

So it seems like HMBradley has gone invite-only, does anyone have a couple of invites they can share for myself and my wife? Thanks!

PM'd you, let me know if it doesn't work.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

no_tears posted:

I've been experimenting with covered call ETF's recently (QYLD) for the dividend yield, and I'm wondering if it's even worth it for me to continue buying more. The monthly dividends are nice and my thought process was to DCA each month and let it compound until retirement. I'm still several decades away from retirement, so is dividend investing in my IRA really even worth it right now?

At first I thought you were talking about buying into a fund that focuses on companies that pay good dividends, which has historically been a worse proposition than buying a whole-market fund, although not a terrible proposition. However, I looked into QYLD, and instead it turns out that I have no idea what this fund is supposedly doing.

Here's its performance since inception, compared to the total U.S. market fund VTI:

:pwn:

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

That is just price action not including dividends. Granted it's still bad, but not as bad, if you include dividends.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

spf3million posted:

I took a lump sum pension payout (but for less money - low 5 figures). My primary concern was keeping track of the account, and keeping all my information up to date, and hoping they don't make an administrative error over the next 40 years or whatever.

Also a nonzero chance that they do a pension buyout and transfer your pension to an annuity company of their choosing, and you lose PBGC protection anyway. Though some (all?) states have separate annuity guarantees as well, which I believe applies to both annuities you purchase yourself and pension buyout annuities.

If you want to see the difference, you can try getting a quote for a deferred annuity for the actual pension stream of payments.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

ranbo das posted:

That is just price action not including dividends. Granted it's still bad, but not as bad, if you include dividends.

Right, but what is it doing? It's clearly not buying and holding, or even engaging in the kind of moderate turnover you might expect as corporations rise into and fall from the "good dividend payers" list. The fund is playing some kind of financial wizard game. I would not trust any such thing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It builds wealth, Charlie

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Kylaer posted:

Right, but what is it doing? It's clearly not buying and holding, or even engaging in the kind of moderate turnover you might expect as corporations rise into and fall from the "good dividend payers" list. The fund is playing some kind of financial wizard game. I would not trust any such thing.

It’s selling covered calls on a portfolio. They’re collecting and distributing the premiums from that activity.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I mean, it's not mysterious. You can just look it up.
https://www.globalxetfs.com/funds/qyld/

quote:

The Global X Nasdaq 100 Covered Call ETF (QYLD) follows a “covered call” or “buy-write” strategy, in which the Fund buys the stocks in the Nasdaq 100 Index and “writes” or “sells” corresponding call options on the same index. The Global X Nasdaq 100 Covered Call ETF (QYLD) seeks to provide investment results that correspond generally to the price and yield performance, before fees and expenses, of the CBOE Nasdaq-100 BuyWrite V2 Index.

High Income Potential
QYLD seeks to generate income through covered call writing, which historically produces higher yields in periods of volatility.1
*Covered call writing can limit the upside potential of the underlying security

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Wizard games. That fund may in fact be skilled at it but it sounds more suitable for the active trading thread than this one.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Y'all got any more of them HMBradley invites?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Smashing Link posted:

Y'all got any more of them HMBradley invites?

Sent you one.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

fatman1683 posted:

Sent you one.

3% looks good to me, thanks!

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Is there a better safe way to park cash than I bonds? My partner is buying them, but I’m the one paying tuition at an overseas university over a year later. He won’t have a job at that point, so his tax bracket will only be determined by the interest. (I can’t buy them because I have medicaid until I move, and thus can barely own any assets.) I think the right plan is just to have him gift me the bonds but he’d still have to pay taxes on interest right?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I’m holding munis in taxable. Come at me.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Loucks posted:

I’m holding munis in taxable. Come at me.

I know nothing of municipal bonds. Is this a bad idea or something?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Taxable munis at a high tax rate perform worse than traditional tax-free munis (generally), but the higher yield in taxable munis is good for tax-advantaged accounts -- it's just dang unoptimized and inefficient!

If he's holding munis in a taxable account then you're doing the right thing if you're concerned about taxes.

Unless I'm confused

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Munis are really only better than nonmunis if you're in the top tax bracket so :guillotine:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

jokes posted:

Taxable munis at a high tax rate perform worse than traditional tax-free munis (generally), but the higher yield in taxable munis is good for tax-advantaged accounts -- it's just dang unoptimized and inefficient!

Unless I'm confused

You've definitely got me confused. Taxable municipal bonds is a contradiction in terms, I thought, because the whole point of them is that they're tax advantaged. Although the advantage is basically negligible even so.

moana posted:

Munis are really only better than nonmunis if you're in the top tax bracket so :guillotine:

:frogout: That emote doesn't belong here, this is the moneyhaver thread.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

IAWTP, but as long as the US continues to crush every attempt at improving general material conditions I might as well turn into a wealth-hoarding dragon in hopes of not having to work as whatever the post-apocalyptic version of a Walmart greeter will be in a few decades.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

moana posted:

Could you expand on this? Just out of curiosity, no :guillotine: here.

And can you buy them at Vanguard?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Loucks posted:

IAWTP, but as long as the US continues to crush every attempt at improving general material conditions I might as well turn into a wealth-hoarding dragon in hopes of not having to work as whatever the post-apocalyptic version of a Walmart greeter will be in a few decades.

Just a walmart greeter

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Residency Evil posted:

Could you expand on this?

I have never compared the returns of bond funds or have done the tax calculation, but:

I assume that the argument is that the municipal bonds tend to have lower returns so the way it works out is that avoiding tax on the bonds by buying municipal bonds is only worth it if you have to pay a high tax on the returns.

Residency Evil posted:

And can you buy them at Vanguard?

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/tax-exempt

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 22, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007

silence_kit posted:

I assume that the argument is that the municipal bonds tend to have lower returns so the way it works out is that avoiding tax on the bonds by buying municipal bonds is only worth it if you have to pay a high tax on the returns.

This is exactly right. Depending upon your state and the fund you don’t have to be in the top bracket for it to work out in your favor, but if you’re down at 22% it’s not worth it. The other consideration is that at some income level you simply run out of tax sheltered space and have to decide between loving up your allocation or accepting that some bonds have to live in taxable.

Anyway if anyone is sharpening their pitchforks over this please note that my posts are all rp and I’m actually a dyslexic Denny’s waitress.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The “never in taxable” rule of thumb with bonds is much less of a slam dunk than it first seems, especially with low interest rates meaning that bonds are paying out coupons in the ballpark of dividends. It gets weird if your tax sheltered allocations are subject to tax on withdrawal because it means you need to account for that tax when doing your allocations (not all the money you see on the statement is yours).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

silence_kit posted:

I have never compared the returns of bond funds or have done the tax calculation, but:

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/tax-exempt

Loucks posted:

This is exactly right. Depending upon your state and the fund you don’t have to be in the top bracket for it to work out in your favor, but if you’re down at 22% it’s not worth it. The other consideration is that at some income level you simply run out of tax sheltered space and have to decide between loving up your allocation or accepting that some bonds have to live in taxable.

Anyway if anyone is sharpening their pitchforks over this please note that my posts are all rp and I’m actually a dyslexic Denny’s waitress.

Thanks guys. Sounds like this is a problem that's tough to have when your bond allocation is only at 10% and have plenty of space to rebalance in tax-free/deferred accounts.

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Loucks posted:

You're right, but it's a little more fundamental that this. Muni bonds have less return because they have an added benefit (tax exempt). If two bonds are being offered that have identical risk levels except one is tax exempt, investors would demand a higher return from the nonexempt bond that's roughly equal to the value of the tax exemption. This is why Muni bonds have a lower return. The thing is, that tax exemption is valued differently based on your tax rate, with the higher your tax rate the more valuable it is. The price adjustment from the tax exemption is based on whoever benefits MOST. Therefore, the returns on Muni bonds are lowered compared to similar bonds by an amount roughly equivalent to the tax savings of someone in the highest tax bracket. If you aren't in the highest tax bracket, they're a bad investment because you get lower returns for a similar level of risk compared to other potential investments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I just accepted a new job and learned that the life insurance offered by my employer is whole life.

Should I be concerned? If it’s not cost to me, it’ll just be the employer who is getting ripped off, right?