Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Capcom can suck it. Probably the biggest sign that they can't even keep up with their own recently lovely standards is they haven't made a nextgen iteration of SF4 which would be just be easy money.

Did you somehow miss them announcing both USS4 and SF5 for the PS4 last week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

fronz posted:

I would like a full remake of FF9 in high definition for the PS4.

How about we just give you a PC port an emulated PS1 version instead? Only $15.99!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The X/X-2 remaster is coming out on PS4 as well. I wonder if this means it will show up on PC too

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 4, 2018

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Actually capcom is probably in real trouble of collapse

If it causes the Megaman IP to fall in to someone else's hands that's a silver lining. Same with Breath of Fire though maybe the F2P mobile game will be ok? Not that it'll ever end up outside of Japan.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I posted this in another thread but it would kind of own if Nintendo got Mega Man, Platinum got Devil May Cry and all the old Clover licenses, SNK Playmore got Street Fighter, SE got Breath of Fire, and Resident Evil was buried in an unmarked grave so bring on Capcom going out of business for good

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
^^^ If it's anything like when THQ went bankrupt, it'll be more of a free-for-all where the IP's won't land anywhere near where fans want them.

ImpAtom posted:

Did you somehow miss them announcing both USS4 and SF5 for the PS4 last week?

No, it should just already be there. Considering they already have a PC release, a next gen low-effort port should have been easy-peasy to get out within 6 months of nextgen launch.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 11, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bloodychill posted:

No, it should just already be there. Considering they already have a PC release, a next gen low-effort port should have been easy-peasy to get out within 6 months of nextgen launch.

There is a difference between "it is easy" and "it is worthwhile." A lot of companies were being fairly slow about adopting next-gen consoles because they had a fairly small install base for the first year. There are plenty of other games which didn't get next-gen ports either.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

There is a difference between "it is easy" and "it is worthwhile." A lot of companies were being fairly slow about adopting next-gen consoles because they had a fairly small install base for the first year. There are plenty of other games which didn't get next-gen ports either.

That's true and it's definitely arm-chair managing for me to say it, but it seems like it should have been such an obvious move. The nextgen install base may have grown quicker than anyone was expecting but Capcom still had the easiest route to getting a polished, proven fighting game onto consoles that were starving for them and it probably would have worked out well for them if they did.

There are plenty of other games that could have gotten profitable next gen ports that didn't, no doubt. edit: back to SE, I think the obvious would be the Kingdom Hearts remixes but I've already talked plenty about that.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 11, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Deep Silver presents Megaman 11

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So is it just my system or is the 13-2 PC port garbage? I was seeing a pretty solid 40-60 FPS on 13 and I'm lucky to see anything over 30 for 13-2. Admittedly my system is a couple years old but I didn't think it would be that much worse than the 13 port.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

[...]SE got Breath of Fire, [...]

Why, so they could also ignore it/make lovely smartphone games?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ SE seems to just let other companies make the mobile games now. Mobage made Record Keeper and Alim is making a Brave Frontier not-a-clone-we-promise Final Fantasy game.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

SE got Breath of Fire

Please no. Give it to Atlus, Monolith Soft, or even Bandai-Namco; but for fucks sake do not let SE anywhere near Breath of Fire. The only company that'd gently caress it up harder would be Konami as we've seen with Suikoden's DS and PSP nightmares. The time of SE having a hand in good Breath of Fire games has passed.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^^ SE seems to just let other companies make the mobile games now. Mobage made Record Keeper and Alim is making a Brave Frontier not-a-clone-we-promise Final Fantasy game.

Please no. Give it to Atlus, Monolith Soft, or even Bandai-Namco; but for fucks sake do not let SE anywhere near Breath of Fire. The only company that'd gently caress it up harder would be Konami as we've seen with Suikoden's DS and PSP nightmares. The time of SE having a hand in good Breath of Fire games has passed.

To be fair Konami did kind of try. Kind of?

Tactics was enjoyable, but Tierkreis is just... :negative:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I just want to see what would happen if Bethesda got their hands on a JRPG, by some weird twist of fate.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Artix posted:

So is it just my system or is the 13-2 PC port garbage? I was seeing a pretty solid 40-60 FPS on 13 and I'm lucky to see anything over 30 for 13-2. Admittedly my system is a couple years old but I didn't think it would be that much worse than the 13 port.

That's pretty consistent with the console versions. Remember, you're not walking down empty hallways anymore.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Krad posted:

How about we just give you a PC port an emulated PS1 version instead? Only $15.99!

The remake is coming and will arrive in 2017.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Artix posted:

30fps is better than the console version ever gets. also assuming you're running it above 400p you're also at a higher resolution :)

they took an engine designed to display corridors and tried to make it handle towns and people. it doesn't work very well.

13-3 is open-world and on my 360 i'm lucky to get above 15fps

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Madmarker posted:

I just want to see what would happen if Bethesda got their hands on a JRPG, by some weird twist of fate.

Based on them basically making not-RE4 but a thousand times buggier, probably not well.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
If anyone acquires Capcom (as opposed to a bankruptcy fire sale), it'll probably be a cash rich Japanese or Chinese mobile/social gaming giant conglomerate looking to for visible IPs to brand their F2P games with. I'm sure you guys will love Devil May Cry 5: Match-3 Edition, Resident Evil 7 Endless Runner, and Street Fighter 7: Hyper Tap to Win EX+ Edition. Just about every traditional Japanese gaming publisher is either belt-tightening or heavily divesting from traditional gaming in favor of casual/social gaming. I don't think any of them have the stomach to purchase Capcom for a $1 billion and spend the next decade restructuring them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Samba De Amigo posted:

To be fair Konami did kind of try. Kind of?

Tactics was enjoyable, but Tierkreis is just... :negative:

I'm not talking about Tactics. I'm talking about Tierkreis and whatever the PSP one was called.

After reading a LP of Tactics rather than trying to replay it, I have to say that Tactics might try to unfuck 4's story but it manages to add its own really dumb poo poo to it, complete with Goat-thing mommy and her immortal son(:wtc:) from the tree's dimension. But nothing tied to Suikoden 4 can ever not be stupid I guess.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm not talking about Tactics. I'm talking about Tierkreis and whatever the PSP one was called.

After reading a LP of Tactics rather than trying to replay it, I have to say that Tactics might try to unfuck 4's story but it manages to add its own really dumb poo poo to it, complete with Goat-thing mommy and her immortal son(:wtc:) from the tree's dimension. But nothing tied to Suikoden 4 can ever not be stupid I guess.

That's true! But on the other hand, Tactics is pretty well paced for an srpg and mechanically it is interesting, neither of which can be said about Suikoden 4

S4 is my pick for worst jrpg. Nothing else comes close. Even Tierkreis had a loving world map.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

This is fair. Atlus or Monolith would be okay I guess. I was actually trying to think of who actually made good JRPGs today when I was writing that post and couldn't come up with much.

EDIT: Suikoden 3-5 are also mind-numbingly boring for sequels to games as fast-paced as Suikoden 1/2, but at least 3 and 5 have other things to recommend them kinda

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Krad posted:

That's pretty consistent with the console versions. Remember, you're not walking down empty hallways anymore.

corn in the bible posted:

30fps is better than the console version ever gets. also assuming you're running it above 400p you're also at a higher resolution :)

they took an engine designed to display corridors and tried to make it handle towns and people. it doesn't work very well.

Oh I'm very much aware of the engine's shortcomings, I just didn't expect that sharp of a drop off. The drat loading screens are the only thing I've seen go above 30 and that's ~40 FPS, everything else is a pretty consistent 20-30 (although usually closer to 20-25), even combat of all things.

Artix fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 11, 2014

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

13-2 is 720p on both consoles and the PS3 version runs a fairly stable 30fps when there's no weather going on. Maybe they had to optimise it in really platform-specific ways to get to that point, and that's hurting the PC port

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 11, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Varance posted:

Also, catgirl sex.

Don't forget that in FFXI catgirls were an all-female race. :heysexy:

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 4, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Friendly Factory posted:

I'm an idiot desperate for a jrpg so I bought XIII-2. Now I do have a 980, but I haven't experienced anything lower than 60fps so far. Maybe it's just poorly optimized for anything less than top tier cards.

More likely is that other people are CPU-bound and don't realize it because that hasn't been as much of an issue in gaming lately, so some people are still running 5+ year old CPUs and expecting to play the latest games at max settings because they have a graphics card from last year.

But a 980 is also pretty much as good as it gets right now short of like a Titan.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Playing through FFXIII for the first time. At first I didn't think the story was too bad, just another b-movie. But now everything seems to contradict itself, or I'm just not paying close enough attention. The story seems to want to be an allegory to the whole Israel/Palestine conflict, that or I've spent too much time in D&D.

Are the fal'Cie the good guys are bad guys? if they're bad why did they give us some sort of 'focus' mission. if they're good why are they purging people from sanctum?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ninkobei posted:

Playing through FFXIII for the first time. At first I didn't think the story was too bad, just another b-movie. But now everything seems to contradict itself, or I'm just not paying close enough attention. The story seems to want to be an allegory to the whole Israel/Palestine conflict, that or I've spent too much time in D&D.

Are the fal'Cie the good guys are bad guys? if they're bad why did they give us some sort of 'focus' mission. if they're good why are they purging people from sanctum?

It gets stupidly explained later by the end of Chapter 9 by Robo Space Pope. They're bad guys, lets just leave it at that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ninkobei posted:

Fal'cie are gods, at least within the context of the story. As such they are giant loving dicks even when they're theoretically on your side.

Also there are more than one kind of Fal'cie. That may be the thing you're confused about. There are two places: Cocoon and Pulse. Both have their own Fal'cie.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's two opposing factions, and both are unquestionably the bad guys.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
FF13 plot in a tl;dr format:

Nothing makes any loving sense and you're just along for the ride.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FF13-2 tl;dr: CHOCOBOCOLINA

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

FF13-2 tl;dr: CHOCOBOCOLINA

I am playing ff13 atm. Vanille is all I will say on that.

I will get and play ff13-2 because I can. The experience of playing these games never seems to match reading people's commentary. That is more amusing.

FF15 should just be a series of webpages talking about how awful/great FF16 is.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
The best thing about playing Final Fantasy is being able to authoritatively say which one is the worst game in the series.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
The problem with FFXIII mythology is that half of it is tied to games that haven't been relased in North America (Type-0, Agito). The whole Etro, Pulse and Lindzei thing is directly explained in Type-0 and not any of the mainline 13 games. :psyduck:

Very loose summary of everything that happens, pre-FF13:

There exists two realms, one of life (the light "Mortal Realm") and one of death (the dark "Unseen Realm"), overseen by a god named Mwynn. Mwynn has an uppity kid named Bhunivelze that wanted complete control of the Mortal Realm. He defeats and banishes his mother into the Unseen Realm to take over. Since the two worlds need to be in balance for the universe to continue going on and he kinda banished his mother to the other side, Bhunivelze becomes concerned/paranoid that Mwynn will use Chaos (the dark energy of the Unseen Realm) to throw things out of balance and eventually destroy the Mortal Realm.

In order to protect the Mortal Realm from Mwynn, Bhunivelze decides to kill mommy dearest once and for all. He creates a pair of fal'Cie to help him out: Pulse, to search the Mortal Realm for a gate that will lead to the Unseen Realm, and Etro, to help Pulse find it faster. Bhunivelze accidentally creates Etro as a physical reflection of Mwynn, so he decides to give Etro no powers of her own (fearing his mother) and creates another fal'Cie named Lindzei to take her place. Pulse serves as the researcher, building a world (called Gran Pulse) in order to find a way to get into the Unseen Realm, while Lindzei serves as the world's protector/taskmaster. Bhunivelze then falls into crystal sleep, tasking Lindzei with waking him up when they find the gate. In order to speed up the search and assist with maintaining their creations, Pulse and Lindzei create biotechnological creatures imbued with godlike powers, known as the lesser fal'Cie (or just fal'Cie, as the greater fal'Cie are referred to as gods).

Etro, lonely and with nothing to do, takes the suicidal approach to finding Mwynn: she kills herself to cross over to the Unseen Realm. Etro finds Mwynn on the other side, who grants her godlike powers in order to maintain balance and make sure Bhunivelze/Pulse/Lindzei don't destroy the universe in the process of trying to find Mwynn. Etro uses her powers to create Valhalla as a sort of lookout post at the gate. Meanwhile, Lindzei takes Etro's dead body and uses her remaining lifeforce on the mortal side to create the first humans. However, Etro's remains are tainted with Chaos from crossing over, so all humans are born with some element of Chaos to them. Lindzei's first human creation, Yeul, was done in his sister's image and with an overabundance of residual Chaos to see what would happen/try to bring Etro back from the Unseen Realm. The only thing this ends up doing is giving Yeul the ability to transgress time, which repeatedly kills her weak human form. The whole "bring Etro back" thing also allows Yeul to be reborn over and over in the same form.

In order to control humans and use them as tools, the fal'Cie are given the ability to conscript humans to accomplish tasks, turning them into l'Cie. l'Cie can draw on the power of the fal'Cie to help them perform their task and are "preserved" in crystal stasis if they're found to be useful. If they fail at their task, the fal'Cie strip them of life energy, turning a l'Cie into a Cie'th (a husk of a body, with only Chaos remaining).

Eventually, Pulse decides that he needs to create multiple worlds to search for the gate and breaks off a new dimension to start another one (this is where FF Type-0 and FF13 Agito take place). Pulse leaves his fal'Cie behind to continue their work on Gran Pulse, with orders to put Lindzei in his place if he gets uppity in Pulse's absence.

Meanwhile, Lindzei figures out that human souls also pass over into the Unseen Realm upon death and starts experimenting with human sacrifice to figure out how crossing over works (now referred to as "Etro's Gate"). Lindzei decides that a mass sacrifice might actually be able to push the gate open, so he machinates a plan to mass murder as many humans as he can at the same time. He gathers his fal'Cie and uses them to build Cocoon, and then lures as many humans as he can into it so that they can be bred and slaughtered like pigs when the time is right. The Pulse fal'Cie eventually catch on to this plan and militarize the humans on Gran Pulse to stop Lindzei. Lindzei does the same with Cocoon's humans. War breaks out, Coccoon has a god on their side, Pulse's forces get their teeth knocked out.

Toward the end of the conflict, a fal'Cie named Anima brands Fang and Vanille as extremely powerful l'Cie with the task of bringing Cocoon down as a last-ditched effort to stop Lindzei. Etro, watching from Valhalla, realizes that this will blow the gate open and upset balance, so she puts Fang and Vanille into crystal stasis before they can bring Cocoon down. Lindzei uses his forces to wipe out all humans/Pulse fal'Cie that they can find, in order to prevent further interruptions. Large chunks of Gran Pulse are brought up to Cocoon by Lindzei's fal'Cie to repair the damage caused by Fang pre-crystal, which includes all sorts of Gran Pulse military tech, damaged/hiding Pulse fal'Cie and the crystalline forms of Fang and Vanille. With opposition on Gran Pulse all but eliminated, Lindzei heads off to Pulse's new dimension to essentially repeat the war to try to push open the gate with a flood of souls on two fronts (the events of Agito/Type-0). Before leaving, Lindzei designates a fal'Cie named Barthandelus to carry out his plan on Gran Pulse.

During the early events of FF13, Serah discovers Anima in the Pulse ruins near Bohdum (the Vestige). Anima brands Serah to complete Vanille/Fang's focus and sends a distress signal to Pulse, who personally uncrystallizes Fang/Vanille and later brands Lightning/Snow/Sazh/Hope to help them complete their focus. Meanwhile, Etro crystallizes Serah to stop her from going Ragnarok and and allow the others to continue, as Vanille/Fang don't remember and the others mistakenly think they're supposed to save Cocoon instead of destroying it and are motivated by saving Serah. Along the way, Etro sends Eidolons, echoes of fallen fal'Cie from the Gran Pulse/Cocoon conflict (War of Transgression) that are trapped in crystal and able to be called upon by l'Cie, to motivate/aid the group in their journey and keep them focused on the whole "Save Cocoon" thing.

Shall I go on?

Varance fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 12, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
That's...certainly a convolution of demiurges. :psyduck:

I still find it amusing that the majority of this is barely explained in-game. Like, there's world building, and giving things backstories, but when this sort of knowledge is integral to the understanding of the plot, and is so badly explained to the player... :psyduck:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
To be fair you don't really need much (if any) of it for 13 proper, it's when you start getting into 13-2 and LR that poo poo starts making no sense without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
It's very well explained in Type-0, which is an alternate-universe prequel to the events of 13.

The problem with that is that Type-0 came out years later, and is still pending release in the west.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 12, 2014