Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Rabidbunnylover posted:

Don't have any advice on weaning, but you might double check that the relevant doctors are up-to-date on their knowledge of treatment options (the mention of going to the ER for treatment makes me worry that you're someplace that's still doing opioids as first-line for migraines, which is largely considered ineffective now). Not a medical professional, but my wife suffers from migraines as well, and neurologist/OB/pediatrician were all fine with proponalol for prophylaxis and triptans for treatment the whole way through pregnancy, and LactMed has broadly positive things to say about CGRP inhibitors (Aimovig and Nurtec ODT were the entries we were considered with) after newborn stage, so if possible might be worth seeing if you can check w/ a neurologist or similar who's been following the literature.

Rabidbunnylover posted:

Ah, that makes sense re: the IVs - just triggered bad memories from Austin hospitals circa 2008 when they kept trying to ineffectively treat with opioids. Glad it's something more reasonable in your case!

CGRP inhibitors have been pretty life-changing for Mrs. Rabidbunnylover and a couple other chronic migraine suffers we know. I'm not entirely sure how Kaiser handles them - they're mostly still super expensive since they're new, so we've had to fight with Anthem for authorization a couple of times, although the manufacturers are pretty good about discounting to basically $0 for the first few months so you can see if it works before fighting with the insurance company.

I'm also a doctor parent (huzzah there are dozens of us), and at least currently in my region/field, opioids/barbituates have been broadly dismissed as effective long-term treatments for migraines (hopefully that's reflective of everybody's experience). If you're with Kaiser and still only using sumatriptan (imitrex) I'd talk to your primary doc and maybe try trials of naratriptan/rizatriptan if your immediate treatment options don't work well.

However, if you're already failing prophylaxis, it might be worthwhile to get a consult to neurology, as I'm fairly sure in Kaiser a primary physician doesn't have auth/experience with CGRP inhibitors, as several great new medications (i'm looking at you Wegovy) are usually restricted to specific departments. Also, remember you don't have to stick with a single neurologist if they suck, you can always get a second opinion by calling member services the instant after having a lovely experience. Also, please complain, the KP doctors do get feedback regarding any specific events they are part of personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

space uncle posted:

Bed time took me an hour and a half last night, trying a new Carrot method (bribery) with the 3 year old.
[…]
I changed his diaper anyway while he screamed and then he calmed down. I think he was trying to tell me his diaper was too wet (probably because he kept getting out of bed to drink loving water) but lacked the appropriate phrasing early in the morning.

I would never have considered giving a toddler free access to water at night. You didn’t see this ever backfiring? :-D You’re going to have to cut it off at some point in order to get him dry overnight, might as well be now.

I know, this is the thread for venting and not for making fun of each other. I totally feel you on the injustice part. That can really try a person’s patience.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I would never have considered giving a toddler free access to water at night. You didn’t see this ever backfiring? :-D You’re going to have to cut it off at some point in order to get him dry overnight, might as well be now.

I know, this is the thread for venting and not for making fun of each other. I totally feel you on the injustice part. That can really try a person’s patience.

No dude trust me I appreciate the advice, I didn’t take it as making fun. I will try cutting off the water supply. You’re right that it will dovetail with the potty training.

He woke me up at 3:15 and 4:45 this morning too so still no progress. Did not receive a temper tantrum at least, he just wanted to check in and then go back to sleep.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Uhhhhhh.

Speaking from lessons poorly learned, how much water is said toddler drinking per day? My son was up to about 80oz per day, and turns out chugging that much water was a physiological response to really high blood sugar. You're probably fine, but if you're like "hey I'm filling a 12oz bottle for the 8th time today" maybe get his A1C checked.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Alarbus posted:

Uhhhhhh.

Speaking from lessons poorly learned, how much water is said toddler drinking per day? My son was up to about 80oz per day, and turns out chugging that much water was a physiological response to really high blood sugar. You're probably fine, but if you're like "hey I'm filling a 12oz bottle for the 8th time today" maybe get his A1C checked.

He’s not drinking that much water, just using it as a bedtime stall tactic. I’ve been keeping an eye on him, his mom is T1D so we know the warning signs. I finger prick him every so often if he’s acting funny and he’s been in normal range every time.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I appreciate my 4 year old so much more after yet another sleepless newborn night. Hey kid want to come to target with me??? I actually love to listen to Moana and frozen in the car endlessly. Yes it’s ok, you can wear 7 backpacks, 3 purses, and carry 5 stuffies into the car with you for a 10 minute trip.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Anecdote but both my kids had access to water at night as soon as they were drinking water and not milk and they were more or less dry all night starting around 2. Kids are a land of contrasts.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

space uncle posted:

He’s not drinking that much water, just using it as a bedtime stall tactic. I’ve been keeping an eye on him, his mom is T1D so we know the warning signs. I finger prick him every so often if he’s acting funny and he’s been in normal range every time.

Ahhhh, gotcha. We didn't know any of the warning signs which are pretty obvious in hindsight. 🙁

We've finger stuck his sister a few times when she was acting funny too. Having a cgm now, we have roughly nine thousand finger stick supplies.

We ignored the problem water drinking because he too used it as a massive stall tactic, which the 2yo seems to have learned via collective knowledge.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Note to self: don’t call the baby a screechy goblin baby in front of the 3 year old. Hopefully this isn’t something that sticks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Alarbus posted:

Uhhhhhh.

Speaking from lessons poorly learned, how much water is said toddler drinking per day? My son was up to about 80oz per day, and turns out chugging that much water was a physiological response to really high blood sugar.

Good to know my kiddo doesn't have blood sugar issues. Like a freakin desert animal "how do you go all day and only drink 1.5 cups of water?!?" despite having it within reach and in line of sight all day

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Hmm, apparently my baby loves tempeh with lime, chili and mint. Gonna remember that when he enters his 'only rice and dry toast' era.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My neighborhood needs better park options. It’d be great if my wife had a meet-cute with another mom and set up weekly vent sessions. I’m always there for support, especially since I WFH, but sometimes you need the catharsis of a neutral third party.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Democratic Pirate posted:

My neighborhood needs better park options. It’d be great if my wife had a meet-cute with another mom and set up weekly vent sessions. I’m always there for support, especially since I WFH, but sometimes you need the catharsis of a neutral third party.

I second this. I didn't think kids were in the picture when we moved to our suburban area, but it's a park desert unless we drive.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My child has become unacceptably big. I'd like to file a formal complaint.

We have an overhanging countertop in the kitchen. It seems like just yesterday I warned him not to walk under it because he was almost tall enough to bonk his head.

Just today he rested his chin on top of it.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Renegret posted:

My child has become unacceptably big. I'd like to file a formal complaint.

We have an overhanging countertop in the kitchen. It seems like just yesterday I warned him not to walk under it because he was almost tall enough to bonk his head.

Just today he rested his chin on top of it.

The legs just get so long!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

My kid alternates between not hardly touching food, then will inhale 6-10 chicken nuggets per meal for a month and grow an inch or two

Just finished watching my 26lb, 3 year old wolf down 6.5 chicken nuggets in one sitting. Pretty sure that's a record

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Are electronic toys just extra garbage recently? I remember them being annoying but at least working before, now I feel like every one my kid gets has some hosed-up glitch, like a car gets stuck honking eternally until you whack it on a table or a remote control truck stops responding to the control paddle mid-movement. Just garbage.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I think electronic toys in general have always been garbage. Or maybe that's because I'm a giant luddite who doesn't like electronic toys in general.

Why is it that children's toys horribly glitch out when the battery gets low? Everything else on the planet will just stop working but nooooOOOOOoooOOooOOOOo let's play the first .5 seconds of a song on repeat with no off switch.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Lobsterpillar posted:

The legs just get so long!

And he doesn't loving eat anything. I'm no science man but I understand the law of conservation of mass. He must be photosynthesizing or something

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Kids, we were supposed to go back to school today. Not get the flu. Why didn't you get the flu during your winter break when there were no obligations?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Just finished watching my 26lb, 3 year old wolf down 6.5 chicken nuggets in one sitting. Pretty sure that's a record

Just yesterday, a day after after all the eating habit concerns, wife goes "wow, daughter has grown like a foot again over the break all her tennis clothes are now small" to which I said: "maybe we should stop worrying about her eating habits". Problem solved. Kids definitely grow crazy on growth spurts.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
New hypothesis, maybe children are just wild predators. Which is why they only need to eat once a month but when they do, they eat 50% of their bodyweight.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Renegret posted:

I think electronic toys in general have always been garbage. Or maybe that's because I'm a giant luddite who doesn't like electronic toys in general.

Why is it that children's toys horribly glitch out when the battery gets low? Everything else on the planet will just stop working but nooooOOOOOoooOOooOOOOo let's play the first .5 seconds of a song on repeat with no off switch.

I had the opposite problem with a slide/ladder thing my mom bought for my three year old. When I first plugged it in, the slide/ladder worked and there was no music so it was fine. Then my mom jiggled the plug and the “music,” which was basically a looping three second clip of extremely loud yodeling, started and there was no way to stop it without physically removing the speaker.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
lmao

Also at this point I automatically cover the speakers with tape on everything because for some reason they always have to be so drat loud.

Someone got my kid one of those cacti that repeats you and, oh gosh darn it I can't believe it went missing already! Where could it have gone? Alas,

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Oh, our bedroom door handle is jiggling ominously. Is it a ghost or the toddler who knows how to climb stairs and figured out how to open her door last week?

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
We got one of those farm animal speak and say things from a yard sale and despite refreshing the batteries it would not make any sounds. When I opened it up, I found that the speaker had been removed. Makes me wonder what kind of scenario would have led to that. Did someone need the speaker? Did their kid keep asking for new batteries and annoying the parents? If they were able to get rid of the toy, why bother disabling it?

I find Vtech toys to be the worst for sounds. They don’t seem to hire actual singers or voice actors. Nothing like that Fisher Price keyboard where you can tell they spent some actual money on a pleasant singer.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

funny song about politics posted:

Nothing like that Fisher Price keyboard where you can tell they spent some actual money on a pleasant singer.

Purple Monkey is a banger

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I can't wait for lunchtime; it breaks up the day. I'll eat something yummy, then go back to work on a full tummy.

The fisher price standing office toy has been a hit in our house. Very chewable spreadsheets.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

Purple Monkey is a banger

:emptyquote:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

funny song about politics posted:

I find Vtech toys to be the worst for sounds. They don’t seem to hire actual singers or voice actors. Nothing like that Fisher Price keyboard where you can tell they spent some actual money on a pleasant singer.

Vtech especially makes all their toys fire off an additional noise after some small window of inactivity, presumably to get the kids attention again. Lots of brands do this, but alllll of theirs do it and it loving sucks.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The vtech dog voiced by a teenage boy complete with voice cracking in half the dialogue was left behind at my in-laws. Then someone decided to torture us by buying a second one of those a year later. It was also left behind.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
We've had a dozen or so LeapFrog and VTech toys gifted to us over the years and our kids are categorically uninterested in them. The only one they've played with for maybe a cumulative hour is the Count and Chomp Dino, which isn't an endorsement.

They've had access to iPads from a young age, so I figure when they want to play with hands-on stuff they go straight for the legos, bristle blocks, etc., and when they want flashy electronic stuff they just go the iPad. This half-way crap isn't cutting it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Renegret posted:

I desperately hate electronic toys too, I didn't even like them AS A KID. People insist on foisting these things on me, and since my kid gets to see them I can't quietly drop them in a donation bin.

I vastly prefer building toys, especially ones that can be used in a freeform way with other stuff.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My wife and I were in the living room the other day and our toddler wandered off as he sometimes does. I heard the sound of his step stool being shoved around in the kitchen. When I got in there, he had grabbed a steak knife by the blade and was using it to stab a pear. Somehow he managed not to cut himself, and my wife and I learned an important lesson about leaving knives on the counter.

Once I got the knife from him, I helped him hold it properly and had to apply a little bit of force to help him cut some pear slices that he proceeded to not eat. I guess the little guy just hungered for destruction.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Brawnfire posted:

I desperately hate electronic toys too, I didn't even like them AS A KID. People insist on foisting these things on me, and since my kid gets to see them I can't quietly drop them in a donation bin.

I vastly prefer building toys, especially ones that can be used in a freeform way with other stuff.

I think the problem with electronic toys are pretty universal to most kids. They do a thing, you push a button, the thing happens, you're done. Once you get bored of thing the toy is useless. We have so many garbage electronic toys that just get forgotten about because they're loving boring. Legos and Lincoln logs are classics for a reason, it's no exaggeration to say the possibilities are endless with them.

Ironically we're seeing the same problem arise from matchbox car accessories. Not the cars themselves, we have dozens of them and they show no signs of losing their novelty. But every car track has gotten boring within hours, and we inevitably go back to hand launching them into the wall. There's one exception to the boring car track dilemma: a 6 lane straight track with with an even slope, no turns, and no gimmicks

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Brawnfire posted:

According to my daughter this applies to everything, not limited to toys either

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh, you've got one of those too?

She's come up with uses for tape and string that make a chiharu shiota installation look restrained

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Oh, you've got one of those too?

She's come up with uses for tape and string that make a chiharu shiota installation look restrained

oh man my son has used so much tape

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Anyone have some good resources for helping a 6yo with expressing his anger appropriately? He is a pretty good kid but recently we’ve been having more issues with him hauling off and hitting his siblings when he gets angry at them. It’s always an instant reaction type thing, we can’t get ahead of it even if we are in the same room.

In discussions, it’s clear he doesn’t have the tools needed to help him make the right choice, so it’s time to start giving him some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Parenting: guess the little guy just hungered for destruction.