Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Xibanya posted:

Bonus points if they say "Ay-rab."

If that worries you, I'd hazard a guess you are white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

icantfindaname posted:

Arabs aren't even that dark skinned to begin with. Arab Christians like the Copts or Maronites or whatever who immigrated to the US got slotted in to pretty much the same place as the Italians in the racial hierarchy

So, racism is dependent on skin colour? My daughter can't be racially abused by being called a 'loving Arab' because her mother is white and her skin is not as dark as mine?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Spacman posted:

So, racism is dependent on skin colour? My daughter can't be racially abused by being called a 'loving Arab' because her mother is white and her skin is not as dark as mine?

Racism in America is heavily based on color. It isn't the only factor but it's easily the biggest one. That being said facial features also play into it and anything darker than "literally white" is A Bad Thing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Spacman posted:

So, racism is dependent on skin colour?

Uh, yes? It's also dependent on religion/culture, which explains the radically different treatment of Arab Christians and Muslims, who outwardly look exactly the same

Racism against Arab Christians, to use this example, is still there but not as great as for Muslims. It was there for Italians too

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Just walk around South Boston as an Arab and see if the fine citizens of the area are able to make the distinction between Muslim and Christian.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Spacman posted:

If that worries you, I'd hazard a guess you are white.

Funny story, I had a pal from Lebannon who would go ballistic if people called him white, at one point shouting "I am not white! I am a swarthy Arab!"

His skin was pale as all get out. Yeah I know how whiteness works in America but it was still hilarious.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Wasn't there a case of an Egyptian Coptic Christian who got harassed at a pro-Israel rally a few years ago because people thought he was a Muslim, and then didn't believe him when he tried to explain he was a Christian? I tried to find a link, but I could only pull up things like jihadwatch, and I'm not familiar with that site's reputation.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'd love to see some right wing faces upon meeting one of my Chinese Muslim friends.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Leofish posted:

Wasn't there a case of an Egyptian Coptic Christian who got harassed at a pro-Israel rally a few years ago because people thought he was a Muslim, and then didn't believe him when he tried to explain he was a Christian? I tried to find a link, but I could only pull up things like jihadwatch, and I'm not familiar with that site's reputation.

I think that was this Pam Geller anti-mosque thing

quote:

At one point, a portion of the crowd menacingly surrounded two Egyptian men who were speaking Arabic and were thought to be Muslims.

“Go home,” several shouted from the crowd.

“Get out,” others shouted.

In fact, the two men – Joseph Nassralla and Karam El Masry — were not Muslims at all. They turned out to be Egyptian Coptic Christians who work for a California-based Christian satellite TV station called “The Way.” Both said they had come to protest the mosque.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leofish posted:

That's especially interesting because when the recent Egyptian things went down the Christians and Muslims in the nation were often protecting each other so the other side of that fence could pray in peace. There was a lot of "you know what? gently caress you, we aren't fighting each other. Go away." Last I heard the two religions in Egypt specifically have been making a point of existing together peacefully.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Xibanya posted:

Funny story, I had a pal from Lebannon who would go ballistic if people called him white, at one point shouting "I am not white! I am a swarthy Arab!"

His skin was pale as all get out. Yeah I know how whiteness works in America but it was still hilarious.

So you are white, and your main consideration was the correct pronunciation of the insult by people of lower socioeconomic circumstance than yourself of what I consider a racist slur against myself and my family. Awesome!

Fair enough. How would you suggest the correct pronunciation of the slur against me, my children and my mother goes?

Spacman fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 17, 2015

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Oh to be a fly on the wall when two Egyptian Christians excitedly ate breakfast planning out a full fun day of telling muslims to get the gently caress out of NY....and then later when they realize what country they're in.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

VideoTapir posted:

I'd love to see some right wing faces upon meeting one of my Chinese Muslim friends.

a terrorist who owns all of americas debt! :bahgawd:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Spacman posted:

So you are white, and your main consideration was the correct pronunciation of the insult by people of lower socioeconomic circumstance than yourself of what I consider a racist slur against myself and my family. Awesome!

Fair enough. How would you suggest the correct pronunciation of the slur against me, my children and my mother goes?

Leftist ascribing evil motives to other leftists right here in the Debate Disco. Stop the presses, everyone.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Xibanya posted:

Leftist ascribing evil motives to other leftists right here in the Debate Disco. Stop the presses, everyone.

Stop using slur words. I'll add, stop laughing at other peoples mispronunciation of slur words.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

blunt for century posted:

a terrorist who owns all of americas debt! :bahgawd:

Or the Korean Muslim who ran a Central Asian grocery store in Pyeongtaek.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

VideoTapir posted:

Or the Korean Muslim who ran a Central Asian grocery store in Pyeongtaek.

a north korean terrorist :bahgawd: :gonk: :bahgawd:

the bad koreans are north koreans, learn some history, liberals

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

blunt for century posted:

a north korean terrorist :bahgawd: :gonk: :bahgawd:

the bad koreans are north koreans, learn some history, liberals

They should have listened to LeMay.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 17, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Spacman posted:

They should have listened to LeMay.

"Nuke them from orbit, its the only way to be sure"

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

"Nuke them from orbit, its the only way to be sure"

When is this forum going to start moderating regarding the 'A' word and the 'ME' word?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Spacman posted:

When is this forum going to start moderating regarding the 'A' word and the 'ME' word?

OK you actually had me until here.

I just checked the posts in the Cole thread :laugh:

My boss constantly called Hispanic people "Spanish", even after getting corrected by other hispanic people. I got him to stop (at least in our office) by acting excited every time. "Really, from Spain? Are they from Madrid?! We'll have so much to talk about!"

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Spacman posted:

Stop using slur words. I'll add, stop laughing at other peoples mispronunciation of slur words.

I'm confused, are you saying you regard "Arab" as a slur? I mean, sure a lot of racists automatically assume all Arabs are bad people, and a lot of idiots lump non-Arab Middle Eastern and South Asian people in with them, but it's also a pretty well-defined ethnicity? I'm living in Jordan at the moment and hang out with Arabs (US-born and immigrant) in the US and have literally never heard anyone argue that the term is a slur.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm confused, are you saying you regard "Arab" as a slur? I mean, sure a lot of racists automatically assume all Arabs are bad people, and a lot of idiots lump non-Arab Middle Eastern and South Asian people in with them, but it's also a pretty well-defined ethnicity? I'm living in Jordan at the moment and hang out with Arabs (US-born and immigrant) in the US and have literally never heard anyone argue that the term is a slur.

Check his recent post history. He's trolling, drunk, or drunkenly trolling.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

icantfindaname posted:

An apolitical general, the guy whose ideology inspired the creation of the Democratic Party, and two liberal progressives?

Just more proof that voters treat political parties like sports teams. Message is irrelevant; it's about who's a winner and who's a loser every four years.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oh to be a fly on the wall when two Egyptian Christians excitedly ate breakfast planning out a full fun day of telling muslims to get the gently caress out of NY....and then later when they realize what country they're in.

I'd wonder if that episode made them change their mind about their position... nahh.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Mister Macys posted:

Just more proof that voters treat political parties like sports teams. Message is irrelevant; it's about who's a winner and who's a loser every four years.

sometimes I can start to sympathize with straight-R-voting elderly southroners when I remember that they grew up in single-party states controlled by incredibly corrupt democratic machinery, and might actually think of republicans as a plucky, non-corrupt underdog party

then they start goin "goddamn Obunga shuttin down mah parks so he can have more money to send to all his crack babies an' hoochie mamas" and I'm like "oh, right"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/hey-ladies-nothing-is-accomplished-by-nagging-and-complaining-about-men/

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Mister Macys posted:

Exactly this. It doesn't matter that Lincoln and TR were ideologically progressive for their respective times. It's all about what jersey they were wearing when they were president.

"I don't see a 'D' next to any of their names, do you?" :smug:

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

"Professional Truth Sayer" I guess that makes everyone else a professional lie sayer?

I will bet anyone five dollars he wrote all those letters himself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This is the sort of guy that rolls his eyes and says "Women, amirite?"

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Flaggy posted:

"Professional Truth Sayer" I guess that makes everyone else a professional lie sayer?

I will bet anyone five dollars he wrote all those letters himself.

He's probably alluding to the term "soothsayer," which is to say that he's a practitioner in the art of pulling things out of his rear end to impress gullible people.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
2 entire decades of stand up comedy and tv sitcoms didn't get the nagging to an acceptable level, but surely Matt Walsh will succeed this time.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

2 entire decades of stand up comedy and tv sitcoms didn't get the nagging to an acceptable level, but surely Matt Walsh will succeed this time.

I think you are mistaking the wrong Walsh

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

-A man who made a career out of complaining about every drat thing

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Oh sweet Jesus I don't know if you meant to do this but I just realized Matt Walsh is also the name of the Upright Citizens Brigade guy :( ouch

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Oh sweet Jesus I don't know if you meant to do this but I just realized Matt Walsh is also the name of the Upright Citizens Brigade guy :( ouch

SAY I'M YOUR MAMMA *points automatic poo stick at you*

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

*Complains about irreligious youth*

Yep we're still winning :smug:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Aaron Schock has resigned. The Representative from Caterpillar's spending irregularities (and poor taste in those) show him as out of touch with his teabag base, it appears.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/aaron-schock-resigns-116153.html

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Edit: NM, should've clicked the article. Goddamn he ran up an impressive number of shady tax-dollar sinks before they got him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

Aaron Schock has resigned. The Representative from Caterpillar's spending irregularities (and poor taste in those) show him as out of touch with his teabag base, it appears.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/aaron-schock-resigns-116153.html

I'm glad the first comment acknowledged the Maddow burn, another here pointed out. He was probably already dreaming of himself in the Oval Office because the decision to get that podium is probably a novel by itself.

edit: Although Politico sure is Politico when the other top comments posing as liberals are just ribbing him for being gay.