Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Whatever happened to old Octopode? Think he got a stern talking to about leaking sensitive information to win an Internet argument?

I think it just got too hard for him to maintain his illusions about this shitshow. He still hangs around on the jabber iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

TTerrible posted:

I'm assuming thats because touching the poop in MMA and UFC is generally frowned upon? There is a cultural divide here. We need a thread primer.

people poo poo themselves in the cage and it's the gayest sport imaginable but fans of the dumbest, gayest sport on the planet somehow manage to avoid using infantile analogies when someone would go to stomfront and find out what the white pride community things of the darky who just won the belt or whatever

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Marching Powder posted:

that's nice and hey keep your weird loving phrases i'm a visitor here i just thought i should let everyone know that you sound bizarre and not at all in a good way to anyone not prolifically posting in the games forum

Nice one.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

that's nice and hey keep your weird loving phrases i'm a visitor here i just thought i should let everyone know that you sound bizarre and not at all in a good way to anyone not prolifically posting in the games forum

Where have you been posting all this time? It's not like "don't touch the poop" is new, it's been used in the Freep thread for at least 7 years. Same in the Conservapedia and Bitcoin threads. We can't properly laugh at morons if the poop you're quoting is not from a moron but an undercover goon. Touching the poop ruins the immersion.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

MeLKoR posted:

Where have you been posting all this time? It's not like "don't touch the poop" is new, it's been used in the Freep thread for at least 7 years. Same in the Conservapedia and Bitcoin threads. We can't properly laugh at morons if the poop you're quoting is not from a moron but an undercover goon. Touching the poop ruins the immersion.

i know literally nothing about absolutely everything you just posted about. except for bitcoin existing. i'm sorry everyone for calling your phrase names.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Friendly Tumour posted:

I think it just got too hard for him to maintain his illusions about this shitshow. He still hangs around on the jabber iirc

There is a goon SC jabber?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Marching Powder posted:

i know literally nothing about absolutely everything you just posted about. except for bitcoin existing. i'm sorry everyone for calling your phrase names.

Good, now wash your hands.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Someone posted this on youtube "You've murdered a 100 people. You said, no I didn't" Scott: The truth somewhere in the middle.

Sooo... you killed 50 people by his logic.

That's not neutral at all. Neutral is saying, I have no information about these events", or yet keeping quite about things he knows very little about.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Good, now wash your hands.

the irony was absolutely not lost on me and when i realised what was happening i became enlightened.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

i know literally nothing about absolutely everything you just posted about. except for bitcoin existing.

Keep it that way, it makes for a happier life.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Michaellaneous posted:

There is a goon SC jabber?

Yeah. Instructions to join in the odl thread. Nobody there talks about SC though.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's mostly composed of old MWO goons

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Nation posted:

I like when they compare it to eve ship prices without mentioning the ships worth the big money in eve are made by entire guilds working together and the eve ships are used to move entire fleets around a persistent universe and not just some fat sperg paying $5000 for a jpeg

If you've ever looked at some of the old minecraft groups that used to run closed servers, some would advertise themselves as serious guilds with backstory etc. They would expect potential new recruits write a formal application to join the server, and then once accepted, patiently work as slaves mining and gathering materials for the owner of the server their buddies; who would be the actual ones doing the fun stuff like building. In return everyone would get to brag that their amazing architecture was all hand mined by artisans.

I expect that vision is shared by the whales in star citizen - that they will buy ships (the bigger the better) and that the entire crew will be a team of very grateful late adopting slaves who quietly perform every menial task and roleplay as crew. In that case - the fact that late adopters can never free themselves from work to fly is a very attractive proposition to the early adopters / true believers.

I think this theory explains the compulsive need for star citizens supporters to convert as many people as possible, and to await the day that the game is released and their investment vindicated - because every new player they bought in would become a de facto servant.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Nation posted:

I like when they compare it to eve ship prices without mentioning the ships worth the big money in eve are made by entire guilds working together and the eve ships are used to move entire fleets around a persistent universe and not just some fat sperg paying $5000 for a jpeg

Not to mention the EVE prices are 100% theoretical bullshit made by comparing the real price of PLEX (a game time token) to PLEX price ingame. But almost no one turns PLEX into the big autism chariots unless they are retarded or have way more money than sense because if you're able to mount the biggest battle steeds you should be able to make the game money quite easily.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

xutech posted:

I expect that vision is shared by the whales in star citizen - that they will buy ships (the bigger the better) and that the entire crew will be a team of very grateful late adopting slaves who quietly perform every menial task and roleplay as crew. In that case - the fact that late adopters can never free themselves from work to fly is a very attractive proposition to the early adopters / true believers.

I thought the whales wanted to play this MMO game in a way that made it so they didn't have to interact with anyone else?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

:monocle:

Amazing.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Marching Powder posted:

the irony was absolutely not lost on me and when i realised what was happening i became enlightened.

See now you've gone up in my estimation of you, you've got some self awareness and can take a joke *thumbs up*

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

Erm, I think you'll find that the phrase 'touching the poop' is used across every subforum, and has been used for as long as I can remember.

Lurk more.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3yrxq1/pupil_to_planet_in_ksp_by_scott_manley_awesome/

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I've been wrangling with samfreez these past couple of days, he's pretty awesome.

e: I mean... if you are into this sort of poo poo. By now the guy is 80% hooks and 20% fish.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I like that people they formerly liked not discarding every allegation against CIG confuses the living poo poo out of them. They seem to have three working hypotheses for why that is:

A) You are Derek Smart/Derek Smart's sith apprentice. They aren't sure why someone would be this but they think it probably has something to with what Michael Caine said about the Joker in that batman movie.
B) You are in hoc to the big publishers and Star Citizens shining holy light is a threat to your dark industry.
C) The development of SC is just so incredibly open that normies and non-megafans can't follow it and just can't see how perfect everything is going to be because Sandi or Ben clearly said it would be 10 months ago in a community youtube.

Also as an aside I really enjoy the way they had to willfully change the meaning of Pay2Win in order to not recognise SC as P2W. Its pretty 1984 style where they had to forget the original meaning then forget they'd forgotten it. P2W to most people means paying real money for a competitive advantage in the game, i.e. buying yourself a better ship in a space combat game, paying for epics in an mmo etc, especially if the alternative is an enormous grind which is what they're split on outright calling for.
The accepted SC definition of P2W though it only counts as P2W if you are trading real money for exclusive premium advantages, as long as an item is theoretically acheivable in game it is not pay to win. Practically no real game I can think of uses this system.

Torraque
May 18, 2014

nopantsjack posted:

Also as an aside I really enjoy the way they had to willfully change the meaning of Pay2Win in order to not recognise SC as P2W. Its pretty 1984 style where they had to forget the original meaning then forget they'd forgotten it. P2W to most people means paying real money for a competitive advantage in the game, i.e. buying yourself a better ship in a space combat game, paying for epics in an mmo etc, especially if the alternative is an enormous grind which is what they're split on outright calling for.
The accepted SC definition of P2W though it only counts as P2W if you are trading real money for exclusive premium advantages, as long as an item is theoretically acheivable in game it is not pay to win. Practically no real game I can think of uses this system.

Free to play games have been trying to push this "definition" of pay2win for years though, you can't blame some people for buying in.

As an aside I've been lurking this thread and its predecessors for months and I want to thank everyone here for showing me the light, I got my refund last month, thanks goons!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Amethyst posted:

I played that Rodina game and it's hilariously basic. Nothing close to star citizen.

Auspol called, they said they want your lovely attempts at trolling back.

Oh, and you can't have the cheese.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Unfunny Poster posted:

I thought the whales wanted to play this MMO game in a way that made it so they didn't have to interact with anyone else?

I think they don't want to interact with people who don't share their vision of how the game should be correctly played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72XhdVqDT1g

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Also hey again SC thread, this has been a wild ride hasn't it? The SC Thread is narrowly clashing with MGSV and Bloodborne as my GotY.

My girlfriend and her dad bought me the elite expansion and a joystick (her dad is super into elite and insisted a joystick and throttle are the only way to play) and god drat, joysticks are fun apparently and despite the fact the game is pretty basic at the moment its also a surprisingly great anecdote generator thats got my less space inclined friend to consider checking it out.

Here is my latest adventure in a real space game:
I found out that in Elite once you get a decent enough FTL drive you can jump to the edge of civilised space and pick up smuggling and cargo missions that due to the multi-hundred-lightyear routes offer absolutely tonnes of cash. I took a run to carry 2 tonnes of slaves 400 light years and after a longass time and one interdiction got to the right port and realised i had no slaves in my inventory, the pirate who i had escaped from had shot my cargo open, so i repair it and decide to replace the slaves with some i can just buy one jump away in a lawless hellhole system.
I grab 2 more and go back to the turn in station, I'm smuggling so my ships power is turned off as i come in and because my power is shut off my cooling system isnt on so i start taking gradual heat damage, no problem it just damages random systems but I'm in a big ship and I've come in wrong so I have to rotate 180degrees on the pad very slowly. The heat damage immediately breaks my cargo hold again and the slaves spill out in two containers that spin around the station.
I try and collect the illegal containers under the oblivious eye of the police who very luckily are distracted by a bandit opening fire, presumably seeking to seize my illegal cargo. I repeatedly accidentally bounce them off the landing platform and crush both containers killing everyone inside.
The story has a happy ending though cause one short trip later i presented the guy with two fresh slaves from one system over at a 10,000% markup

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I touched the poop enough for today. Apparently it's not normal to gently caress around and get people mad in a game, but it's totally normal to be driven into a frothing rage you dig up a persons financial info over negatively speaking about a game and its developer. These are things r/StarCitizen has taught me today, and I share it with you all.

Torraque posted:

thanks goons!

:glomp:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 30, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MeLKoR posted:

I've been wrangling with samfreez these past couple of days, he's pretty awesome.

e: I mean... if you are into this sort of poo poo. By now the guy is 80% hooks and 20% fish.

Yo, I need proof of his awesomeness. And don't you even PRETEND to deflect my questions you sad goon-for-brains!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I too would like to know how low Gryphon sets the bar for being right. Like I'm pretty sure he thinks alpha 2.0 coming out is the bar.

Meanwhile, as has been mentioned, the general sentiment of the thread is that the bar is set at what Chris Roberts promised would be in the game. Sounds pretty reasonable :shrug:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

"Touch the poop" is cringey as gently caress.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Fidelity. He's choking on all the fidelity.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Sorry sir, I can't help but touch le poop :iamafag:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

If touch the poop is incorrect speech then what idiom can we replace it with?

I mean, there's "don't feed the animals" but personally I've never been a fan of rhetorically implying specific people are animals.

How about "don't touch the steaming mound of animal poo poo?"

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Google Butt posted:

Sorry sir, I can't help but touch le poop :iamafag:

Well I cant :confused:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

nopantsjack posted:

Here is my latest adventure in a real space game:

Yes, but could you walk into your cargo hold and rape your slaves? Check mate Elitailure. :smug:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yes, but could you walk into your cargo hold and rape your slaves? Check mate Elitailure. :smug:

Sadly no, and when I turn sharply the whole screen doesn't turn black for no logical or ludological reason. It also cost me £50 for the whole thing and I only have four ships and none of them need to be crewed by 32 strangers.

Also with the Horizons or Frontiers (i forget which is which) expansion out Elite is dangerously close to being a real, fun game and as we all know, thankfully Chris is "not making a game".

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Gryphon0468 posted:

What would be your criteria for an "I told you so!"? And at what point will you admit you were wrong?

Get triggered bitch

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

MeLKoR posted:

Who are they writing this poo poo for? The devs are certainly never going to read any of it.

The obvious title of the DS book should be "Star Citizen: Missed it by thaaat much"

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Bait and Swatch posted:

Get triggered bitch

Now THAT looks like a good game.I wonder how the rsi nerds can turn it around and say "Yes well it MIGHT look beautiful but"............

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Now THAT looks like a good game.I wonder how the rsi nerds can turn it around and say "Yes well it MIGHT look beautiful but"............

They do, its literally always "but its boring and has no soul to it" whenever Elite is mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

A little preview of Star Citizen's future- after the Firefall company Red5 missed payroll, one of their employees did an AMA. It's pretty interesting reading.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefall/comments/3yhguu/red_5_employee_without_a_paycheck_here_ama/

• Locked thread