Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Rorahusky posted:

Daw, The Lion King is palling around with Bedivere. :3:

Bet Gawain was pissed~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

OnimaruXLR posted:

Counterpoint: Umu is a million times better than "a hero of justice"

Hmm? I actually don't know this one, care to elaborate?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Wasn't it translated as 'Superhero' actually? Or am I misremembering? I feel like 'Hero of Justice' came later.

(And yeah I would probably translate it as something different regardless. Savior? Just hero? Something like that.)

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Sodium Chloride posted:

That isn't a problem at all.

This year Valentines ended 10 days before Valentines, Christmas was way before Christmas. The schedule is already strange.

ps gently caress umu.

Okay, let me put it this way, Halloween event for the last two weeks of March, Christmas Rerun for the last week of March/first of April, the next Christmas event first two weeks of April, and also EoR part 4 coming out somewhere in the middle of all that.

That is the pacing that some people legitimately want.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Korea had both halloweens going at the same time.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Ashsaber posted:

Okay, let me put it this way, Halloween event for the last two weeks of March, Christmas Rerun for the last week of March/first of April, the next Christmas event first two weeks of April, and also EoR part 4 coming out somewhere in the middle of all that.

That is the pacing that some people legitimately want.

Sounds like a rush! And it's never gonna happen anyway.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Transient People posted:

Wasn't it translated as 'Superhero' actually? Or am I misremembering? I feel like 'Hero of Justice' came later.

(And yeah I would probably translate it as something different regardless. Savior? Just hero? Something like that.)

Yeah Mirror Moon translated "Seigi no Mikata" as Superhero.

Which, to be fair, is basically what a lot of Japanese media calls Superheroes.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
What's wrong with "superhero"? Shirou wanted powers to save people. Sounds like a superhero to me except it's not a Glorious Nippon phrase?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ChronoReverse posted:

What's wrong with "superhero"? Shirou wanted powers to save people. Sounds like a superhero to me except it's not a Glorious Nippon phrase?

You're getting it reversed, someone was criticizing the extremely literal TL "hero of justice", which happens to not be in the VN TL

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Both "superhero" and "hero of justice" sound goofy as hell, regardless of which is closer to the original meaning, and I'd prefer just "hero" instead.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I think the problem is that 'Superhero' makes american audience think of tights and Incredible Powers.
Fate, at least, has always meant it to refer to a very particular moral philosophy.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Holy gently caress. Mild lostbelt spoilers I guess? Maybe? But still this is a sickass little animation

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Crasical posted:

I think the problem is that 'Superhero' makes american audience think of tights

Marvel movies have thoroughly rid that from my mind these days

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 27, 2018

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I figure that Fate will always stick to the Gilgamesh definition of a hero, which is....surprisingly hosed up if you’re not familiar

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Part of the idea of the term is also to get across to the audience that Shirou's ideals are cartoonishly unrealistic, so the fact that "superhero" sounds goofy isn't entirely a negative in that context.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 27, 2018

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

ChronoReverse posted:

Marvel movies have thoroughly rid that from my mind these days

I mean more 'Superhero' brings to mind Amazing Powers first and foremost, rather than a moral framework.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sophism posted:

Both "superhero" and "hero of justice" sound goofy as hell, regardless of which is closer to the original meaning, and I'd prefer just "hero" instead.

I mean it sounding a little goofy fits the narrative.

Thuryl posted:

Part of the idea of the term is also to get across to the audience that Shirou's ideals are cartoonishly unrealistic, so the fact that "superhero" sounds goofy isn't entirely a negative in that context.

How dare you beat me at this.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Kitfox88 posted:

Holy gently caress. Mild lostbelt spoilers I guess? Maybe? But still this is a sickass little animation
loving-A Zerkalot with the missile barrage! Also, who is the APC tank thing supposed to be? Is that the new DaVinci-mobile for the player and Mash? Pretty sure I see her shield deploy right as they charge in.

EDIT:

Mash, Amakusa, Semiramis, and Ozy. You can actually see Semiramis' Gardens of Babylon in the background as well as Ozy's pyramid being thrown like a loving missile.

The amount of detail in this animation is awesome. Sweet.

Spoiler tags added just in case.

RanKizama fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 27, 2018

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Crasical posted:

I think the problem is that 'Superhero' makes american audience think of tights and Incredible Powers.
Fate, at least, has always meant it to refer to a very particular moral philosophy.

The only cultural difference is that “Seigi no Mikata” makes Japanese audiences think of transforming masked riders and monsters in rubber suits. Superhero was actually the better translation.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I like "Hero of Justice" because, while that is a super literal and odd sounding translation, it's also perfect because it sounds over the top just like the type of media where the phrase is most often used.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Kitfox88 posted:

God I wish this was the state of things. This is cool, the reality is kind of lame, as it should be I guess.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RanKizama posted:

loving-A Zerkalot with the missile barrage! Also, who is the APC tank thing supposed to be? Is that the new DaVinci-mobile for the player and Mash? Pretty sure I see her shield deploy right as they charge in.

EDIT:

Mash, Amakusa, Semiramis, and Ozy. You can actually see Semiramis' Gardens of Babylon in the background as well as Ozy's pyramid being thrown like a loving missile.

The amount of detail in this animation is awesome. Sweet.

Spoiler tags added just in case.

This is veering towards spoiler territory but to answer while trying to keep it vague the tank thing is Shadow Border, a sort of mobile base and rover built largely by Da Vinci. Her rider version in arcade seems to be playing off that with a smaller and more heavily armed version. Shadow Border plays a major role in part 2.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Crasical posted:

Considering the type of clothes his future-self wears, maybe he's thinking about the tights as well.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

We are all thinking about archers tights

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Vengarr posted:

The only cultural difference is that “Seigi no Mikata” makes Japanese audiences think of transforming masked riders and monsters in rubber suits. Superhero was actually the better translation.
It's not just that. FSN was written with memories of Showa era Kamen Rider, whose concept of justice was rooted in revenge, not crime prevention the way western superheroes do. That's the core theme in Kirei's argument against Shirou's dream. It ties back to how he tries to execute justice through the sword rather than as some other kind of profession.

By now the cultural connotations are diluted enough that it doesn't really matter, but it was a fairly big deal.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If Nasu's said that I can't really argue, but that just makes me recall the producer who said they always tried to avoid the j-word.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Kiritsugu’s servant form is also wearing uh... batman superhero tight?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The problem with hero/superhero is you run the risk of getting crossed up with the concept of heroes as exemplified by Heroic Spirits (see; Gil) which is more like the narrative concept of the word than the moral one

I think when Shirou and Kiritsugu (and uh, I guess Siegfried?) say seigi no mikata, given how Kerry arguably sees it as "I don't want to be like my Dad" and Shirou sees it as "I want to be like my Dad" something like "A good guy" might have the right mixture of childishness and moral righteousness, along with also holding the seed of "poo poo ain't that simple" as exemplified by how both of them (potentially) end up

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Emiya's a Hero because he's got a cool coat.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Kitfox88 posted:

Emiya's a Hero because he's got a cool coat.
From the Church, which Ironically are the modern superheroes faction who wears normal-looking conceptional church robe/coat.

Maybe they are more Van Hellsing than superheroes...

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Where's my Heroic Spirit Ciel already, assholes. :argh:

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Kitfox88 posted:

Where's my Heroic Spirit Ciel already, assholes. :argh:

In the rerun banner for the Tsukihime event. :haw:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I really appreciate whomever it was that suggest I level Spartacus for, at the very least, farming purposes. The big guy's working out really well in that regard.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Spartacus is justice. Only an oppressor would hide their eyes from this truth.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's a bit vague because Shirou's conception of it wasn't really about justice or righteousness - it was about saving people, just rescuing them from danger. After all, the experience that gave him that ambition was what seemed to be a natural disaster. Not an evil villain oppressing the people, not criminals exploiting the people - just a seemingly random fire. If he hadn't gotten involved in all the magus poo poo, he probably would have ended up wanting to become a paramedic or firefighter.

Ultimately, Shirou didn't want to fight bad guys - he just wanted to rescue people in trouble. More of a first-responder kind of "hero" rather than a fighter for justice. It just doesn't really get a chance to shine in the Fate setting where everything is always ultimately the fault of a human or some other intelligent being. The mismatch is magnified for Heroic Spirit Emiya, since he never gets summoned to reinforce a breaking dam or shore up a building that's about to collapse or whatever.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yeah dude because that would be the most boring afterlife ever.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gologle posted:

Yeah dude because that would be the most boring afterlife ever.

"..."

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
To anyone that you uses my maxed out Robin, should I replace his CE with something else other than a Kaleidoscope? Maybe a Black Grail?

Edit: I thought the free CE was just Sakura cosplaying as Da Vinci

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 27, 2018

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tired Moritz posted:

To anyone that you uses my maxed out Robin, should I replace his CE with something else other than a Kaleidoscope? Maybe a Black Grail?

Edit: I thought the free CE was just Sakura cosplaying as Da Vinci

Halloween Princess is a good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yeah I'm not really feeling the Andromalius grind, can the DW bots hurry up and give us a boost? While I still need tons of Lanugos, I don't care enough about them to grind it out, especially when most of the time I get dust (which is nice, don't get me wrong) or Lanterns (which I don't really need anymore)