Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I suspect there's no answer but: I want to play a steam game on computer 1 while playing a steam game on laptop 1. Steam won't let me do this. Any workarounds outside of piracy or a second steam account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Does either of them work in offline mode?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

StrixNebulosa posted:

I suspect there's no answer but: I want to play a steam game on computer 1 while playing a steam game on laptop 1. Steam won't let me do this. Any workarounds outside of piracy or a second steam account?

I think you need a second account and then do the new family sharing option with yourself.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can't you do that just by having one of the two in offline mode?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Off off offline mode!

One thing to make sure though is when you go into offline mode neither computer is running the game.

I ran into an issue once where Steam thought I was still in a game on my main PC because I put the other into offline mode while a game was running.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dusted Dark Souls off, faced my fear of heights, and I was rewarded by finding a portrait of this incredibly dapper fellow:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dusted Dark Souls off, faced my fear of heights, and I was rewarded by finding a portrait of this incredibly dapper fellow:

Nice hat

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is it Ornstein or Smough?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Smornstein

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole

StrixNebulosa posted:

In addition to the other solutions I used to idle in XIV and play something on the deck by going into task manager and killing Steam while the game is running. Dunno if it helps in your case but it's something.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Offline mode has worked! I've got Siralim Ultimate on my laptop and Persona 5 on my computer at the same time now :toot:

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

gamesmaxxing

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

StrixNebulosa posted:

Offline mode has worked! I've got Siralim Ultimate on my laptop and Persona 5 on my computer at the same time now :toot:

whoa

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Kickstarter backer.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

edit: nooo wrong thread

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The mobile port of Siralim Ultimate is excellent, too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Zathril posted:

Kickstarter backer.

not doughy enough

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

gamesmaxxing

This only really works because Persona 5 (so far) has a shitload of cutscenes, so it's more anime than game, and right now in Siralim I'm just mindlessly grinding - it's a fantastic podcast game, or in this case, anime-watchin' game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Victoria 3 is only $10 right now. Even though I played hundreds of hours of EU4, I'm just not sure if I want to get into a paradox game again. There's so much DLC for V3 already.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

LLSix posted:

Victoria 3 is only $10 right now. Even though I played hundreds of hours of EU4, I'm just not sure if I want to get into a paradox game again. There's so much DLC for V3 already.

It has some issues, but still a lot to already sink into specially at $10. There’s a big DLC (:v) coming out later this month which should fix a bit of the issues with countries feeling too similar. But you’re a seasoned paradox player, you know how this song and dance goes.

e: fwiw I think base+upcoming DLC would be all you’d need

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah for what little it's worth none of the DLCs currently out for Vicky 3 actually really do much. The famous people one can be useful for some power gaming if you're the type to want to do extremely ahistorical runs but beyond that it's not really been much of anything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i dusted off crusader kings 3 to do some scenario achievements and i forgot how ridiculous the game can get.

i started as a custom irishman and while expanding my territory romanced my first wife into becoming soulmates with me in the week that she was abducted in a siege by a norse raiding party, the leader of whom instantly sent me mocking text messages about releasing my soulmate to be his concubine deep wherever those lawless seamen live. my wife sent me word that she was also pregnant and it's definitely mine - and it was, and somehow got into my castle. i moved on and remarried for stats, but eight years later i receive word that i have been penalised by my faith as an adulterer because my soulmate was now pregnant with my child - still somewhere in swedenland, where she was immediately imprisoned for the same crime, miscarried, then promptly executed by the dude who stole her presumably not for the purposes of me metaphysically spermjacking him, a plan so miscalculated it caused literal psychic damage to me and now i'm a drunkard.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Next up, Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth. Yakuza 0 was lots of fun, so I'm expecting more of the same. I hear this one's set in Hawaii, and even though I am neither Japanese nor American I can't wait to see their take on it

Infinite Wealth is an excellent game but don’t play it after Yakuza 0. At least play Yakuza 7: Like A Dragon first. You can get it part of this month’s Humble Choice.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ghostlight posted:

i dusted off crusader kings 3 to do some scenario achievements and i forgot how ridiculous the game can get.

i started as a custom irishman and while expanding my territory romanced my first wife into becoming soulmates with me in the week that she was abducted in a siege by a norse raiding party, the leader of whom instantly sent me mocking text messages about releasing my soulmate to be his concubine deep wherever those lawless seamen live. my wife sent me word that she was also pregnant and it's definitely mine - and it was, and somehow got into my castle. i moved on and remarried for stats, but eight years later i receive word that i have been penalised by my faith as an adulterer because my soulmate was now pregnant with my child - still somewhere in swedenland, where she was immediately imprisoned for the same crime, miscarried, then promptly executed by the dude who stole her presumably not for the purposes of me metaphysically spermjacking him, a plan so miscalculated it caused literal psychic damage to me and now i'm a drunkard.

this actually closely mirrors the events of my own life

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ghostlight posted:

i started as a custom irishman…and now i'm a drunkard.

:hmmyes:

:same:, but IRL

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gonna assume the AI just leans on the "clean air" scent the moment it's camera connect allowance hits

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

How bad are the network disconnects in Hitman WoA? I've watched a few reviews vids of the game and they're glowing, but each comes with the asterisk of the always online element tied to game progression being a major issue. Is this a nothingburger or am I going to be constantly restarting levels? I have fast hardwired internet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Big Bizness posted:

How bad are the network disconnects in Hitman WoA? I've watched a few reviews vids of the game and they're glowing, but each comes with the asterisk of the always online element tied to game progression being a major issue. Is this a nothingburger or am I going to be constantly restarting levels? I have fast hardwired internet.

1) Use the https://github.com/thepeacockproject/Peacock to make it irrelevant.

2) I have never had a network disconnect from the official servers, and I have a similar stable internet.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Never really happened to me if I recall.There's also an interesting project called Peacock Server that works as an offline server, too.

Efb

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I play from a country outside the US/Europe framework and on wireless, and see disconnects not uncommonly while playing - they almost always occur and resolve without any interaction or pause of play, just popping up a little 'Reconnecting' message in the corner, but when it fails to reconnect automatically for too long it does pause the game and give you a warning about being disconnected and I think every single time just clicking Retry on that dialogue has resolved it.

I have had two or three times (in 700 hours) it dropped connection right on the score page so I couldn't get a score for the level I just did, which would necessitate repeating the level. Challenge progress is ticked off as you do it, so regardless of if you time out or quit out, you usually just need to finish the level however you want to get the unlocks credited to you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

Infinite Wealth is an excellent game but don’t play it after Yakuza 0. At least play Yakuza 7: Like A Dragon first. You can get it part of this month’s Humble Choice.

Because of its place in the narrative? I can see it, the game starts out with a billion cutscenes about the protagonist's extremely awkward date (it is cringe as the kids would say), which I don't care about since I don't know who they are, so it's kind of dragging. But I assume it will settle into something more conventional soon enough.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Phlegmish posted:

Because of its place in the narrative? I can see it, the game starts out with a billion cutscenes about the protagonist's extremely awkward date (it is cringe as the kids would say), which I don't care about since I don't know who they are, so it's kind of dragging. But I assume it will settle into something more conventional soon enough.

Yakuza 0 is the earliest point of the narrative, IM is the latest. In a series of 9 games. Each game is playable in isolation and IM is no exception, but it won't quite be the same. Yakuza: Like a Dragon, the one which preceeds directly IM is the one which introduces the new cast of characters that IM continues with, so it's probably a better fresh starting point for someone who doesn't feel like playing the whole Kiryu saga.

But again, depending how much you care (or don't) about the greater narrative, there's nothing wrong with just playing IM. It's a big improvement over YLAD technically too.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phlegmish posted:

can we ask instead why you went from 0 to IW? there really isn’t any wrong way to experience the series but this is the strangest i’ve seen for sure, it’s like going from watching phantom menace and then skipping to the rise of skywalker except not poo poo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I also went from Yakuza 0 straight to Yakuza 7, because the one protagonist I was invested in stopped existing at the end of 0 and Kiryu is boring.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Jack Trades posted:

I also went from Yakuza 0 straight to Yakuza 7, because the one protagonist I was invested in stopped existing at the end of 0 and Kiryu is boring.

:mods:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

loving WHAT

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm sorry I didn't mean to yell. Let's all pretend this never happened.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
i demand a public vivisection

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

can we ask instead why you went from 0 to IW? there really isn’t any wrong way to experience the series but this is the strangest i’ve seen for sure, it’s like going from watching phantom menace and then skipping to the rise of skywalker except not poo poo

Yakuza 0 was the first and only Yakuza game I ever played, and I liked it well enough, it was stupid in all the best ways. This seems to be the most recent one after that, so it's the one I got.

As for why I didn't play any of the other ones, I just assumed they were all 30 years old and only available on console, but admittedly I didn't do much research