Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
For an animal to be domesticatable before contemporary times it needed to more or less fill out this checklist.
1: Can you trap it in a fence?
2: Does it have a social system you can make yourself the leader of?
3: Is its breeding cycle short enough you can keep track of and manipulate it without modern record keeping?
4: Is it's flight or flight response at the goldilocks spot where it won't try to immediately kill everything in sight or have a panic attack if it sees a human?
5: Is it's food both readily available and in-edible to humans?
If you don't have these you essentially can't domesticate it. A few (namely Dogs, Cats, and Pigs) can fudge number 5 a little bit because they can just be left to scavenge or eat trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

galagazombie posted:

For an animal to be domesticatable before contemporary times it needed to more or less fill out this checklist.
3: Is its breeding cycle short enough you can keep track of and manipulate it without modern record keeping?
4: Is it's flight or flight response at the goldilocks spot where it won't try to immediately kill everything in sight or have a panic attack if it sees a human?
If you don't have these you essentially can't domesticate it. A few (namely Dogs, Cats, and Pigs) can fudge number 5 a little bit because they can just be left to scavenge or eat trash.

How did they do elephants? Serious question. They’ve got 2 and 5 I guess, but they need an awful lot of food and they’re so big it must be a huge pain to restrain them or make them breed.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Boars must have been a pain to domesticate at first as they don’t have much qualms about eating humans that get in the way.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

skasion posted:

How did they do elephants? Serious question. They’ve got 2 and 5 I guess, but they need an awful lot of food and they’re so big it must be a huge pain to restrain them or make them breed.

elephants aren't domesticated. There are some tame elephants but they aren't genetically pre-disposed to living and working with humans like truly domesticated animals are

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Love this book

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skasion posted:

Mostly they capture elephants and bully them into submission. (I think they can be a lot nicer if they start with a calf.) Elephants breed slower than humans so a formal domestication project is not really feasible.

As for restraints you don't need a like, super tall fence, you just need a tough one. The food thing is true but a lot of it is wild plants and general fodder.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

cheetah7071 posted:

coincidentally identical to the range of the korean empire,

The historic range of the wisent, extending to... FINLAND!!?!

galagazombie posted:

1 isn't true, Saami aren't fencing reindeer and if you can milk it and use it for carrying things imo it's domesticated.
2. I don't think this works for pigs.
3. You don't need record keeping to eat the aggressive ones and keep the chill ones.

Weka fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 23, 2020

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I thought Sami specifically fenced in the herd members picked for taming?

Although my knowledge is limited to a work of fiction I read a decade ago.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Technically the ability to easily fence in most domesticated animals is pretty recent, only within the last 150 years. Through most of history, the dominant strategy to controlling where your animals went was just manually shooing them away from where you don't want them to go.

Like maybe you can have one small building to put them in at night or when it's raining, but then it's a lot of extra work to harvest more food to manually feed them.

There's also bees and silkworms as domesticated animals. I don't know if bees have gone through any major physiological changes from domestication, but silkworms have lost a lot of their ability to operate independent of humans like some plants have.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

As you can see Atlantis is incorrectly rendered as part of Old Israel.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That map projection :negative:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

54 1A poisoned everybody.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Grand Fromage posted:

The idea that European fishermen had been to NA (at least off the coast) and he'd heard about it is a fun one but I expect there's no evidence to be found, unfortunately. I'd love it if they found a shipwreck or something.

They have found evidence of winter camps in Newfoundland daring back to the 11 century. More then likely the Basque, Breton and Bristol fish fleets had been to Newfoundland

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sbaldrick posted:

They have found evidence of winter camps in Newfoundland daring back to the 11 century. More then likely the Basque, Breton and Bristol fish fleets had been to Newfoundland

Do you know where the papers are? I've seen Basque people claim they were the first to NA but have never heard of any evidence for it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The greatest food makers in human history were the sausage makers of Lucania, because their sausages impacted the human experience enough that 2000 years later hundreds of millions of people still call sausages "Lucanians"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grand Fromage posted:

Do you know where the papers are? I've seen Basque people claim they were the first to NA but have never heard of any evidence for it.

It's a fringe theory with no known evidence besides coincidence of dates.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Athanasius of Alexandria did 9/11

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

What’s up with the secret name of Rome?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

a fatguy baldspot posted:

One of my recent posts in this thread was about that very question. The short answer is we don’t know, but several guesses have been proposed.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Athanasius of Alexandria did 9/11
IX/XI, surely?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
XI/IX :colbert:

Actually, would Romans put the month first or the day first in a date?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kassad posted:

XI/IX :colbert:

Actually, would Romans put the month first or the day first in a date?

The kept dates a bit more complicatedly than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_calendar#Months

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

A Roman might even comprehend the sentence "Noun, verb, 9/11," which is hilarious to me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Rome is the name of the people and republic, but was not the name of the city. Ancient peoples believed a specific deity protected cities and were often named after that being. The Romans, rather than crushing the defeated’s idols would transfer them back to HQ so that they became part of the Roman pantheon.

Rome’s guardian and true name is a closely kept secret because capturing that god would give you power over the Romans.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That guardians true name ? : Roma

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Actually it was "Richard"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Rome is the name of the people and republic, but was not the name of the city. Ancient peoples believed a specific deity protected cities and were often named after that being. The Romans, rather than crushing the defeated’s idols would transfer them back to HQ so that they became part of the Roman pantheon.

Didn't they also do a ritual before attacking a city where they tried to bribe the resident god into throwing in with them? (and thus letting the attack succeed.)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

If we told you, it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
it's newark

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Roman children wasn't named in the order in which they were born, but after the month they was born in. Quinctius didn't get his name because he was the fifth child but because he was born in july.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I'm trying to find a piece of pre-Colombian art, I think from Mesoamerica and coming from a civilization older than the Aztecs. It's sort of a continual vertical scroll that I believe shows the impression that would be made from a cylindrical stamp that was rolled over clay. It depicts a figure with its mouth open to eat it's own bottom/feet and it was called something like "Earth goddess eating itself". Any ideas?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Its actually Reme

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you could give them a map and reassure them it wouldn't be a suicide mission, could the romans (or carthaginians or whoever) have actually rounded the cape? It's not like you need to go far from the coast for that. (I think)

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Grand Fromage posted:

I know I’ve read in non crazy people journals that digs have found metal tools from the 14th century for n the Avalon pensulla but it’s so limited it’s guess work.

It’s much like everyone knows there should be more Norse settlements beyond L'Anse aux Meadows but we haven’t found them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you could give them a map and reassure them it wouldn't be a suicide mission, could the romans (or carthaginians or whoever) have actually rounded the cape? It's not like you need to go far from the coast for that. (I think)

which one

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They could just go down the Red Sea to get to the Indian Ocean tho.

Or the Persian gulf even

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

According to Herodotus, the Phoenicians did it in 600 BCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necho_II#Phoenician_expedition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You do to get past Cape Bojador.