Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Liam is streaming p5 for those liam fans

I remember when Liam criticized people who were gonna stream P5 day one, but I guess day 2 is okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dias posted:

This is one of the strongest Q1s in history between Nier, BOTW, Horizon, RE7, P5 and a bunch of other solid indie poo poo like Hollow Knight and Night in the Woods.
What's Q2 looking like?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

hoobajoo posted:

Woolie's insistence that he play every game in a series before playing the new one no matter how little it matters is crazy. It'd be like playing the first 14 Final Fantasies to make sure you don't miss anything in 15.

I do a similar thing too, though not as extreme. The Shin Megami Tensei and Persona games were in my backlog for a long time, but when P5 launched that was the push I needed to start playing them. I feel it's really interesting to see a series develop and change over time. Plus, you get most of the references they make! I think Woolie feels the same.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Grouchio posted:

What's Q2 looking like?

Not as strong. Yooka-Laylee, Injustice 2, Tekken 7, a bunch of other poo poo I dunno about but might have some buzz (Prey, Little Nightmares, DQ Heroes 2), and some bad Final Fantasy Tactics ripoff slash dating sim that Nintendo keeps pushing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dias posted:

Not as strong. Yooka-Laylee, Injustice 2, Tekken 7, a bunch of other poo poo I dunno about but might have some buzz (Prey, Little Nightmares, DQ Heroes 2), and some bad Final Fantasy Tactics ripoff slash dating sim that Nintendo keeps pushing.

1, gently caress you FE owns

2. maybe take yooka-laylee off that list of q2 games that might be good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The FE Remake doesn't even have dating sim elements, so it's just a straight up SRPG

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dias posted:

Yooka-Laylee's already coming out next week and reviews are putting it firmly a whole point (and a half?) below Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, so that's not gonna be a '17 classic.

Sonic's got Sonic Forces going, if it's just Generations 2 then it'll be better than its contribution to '98: Sonic Adventure.
Even though you clearly dislike FE, this one might be a biggie since it's a re-departure of the last few games. Then again it already leaked so it's probably already known if it's a masterpiece or not.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's old school fire emblem so it'll sell like poo poo.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Dias posted:

This is one of the strongest Q1s in history between Nier, BOTW, Horizon, RE7, P5 and a bunch of other solid indie poo poo like Hollow Knight and Night in the Woods.

Yeah it's ridiculous. Even if Q2 delivers nothing I want to play I will not be lacking for entertainment for the rest of the year pretty much.

Also Persona 5 is really really good, even beyond the tasty UI design.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Splatoon 2, duh.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Sonic's got Sonic Forces going, if it's just Generations 2 then it'll be better than its contribution to '98: Sonic Adventure.

Sonic Mania is Q2, Sonic Forces is holidays.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
This Dark Souls LP is gonna take 100+ parts at this rate. It takes Woolie 20 minutes to finally use the lordvessel...

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
ATLUS are being anuses

P5 looks incredible

The guys are having a blast

All that being considered I am glad we're not getting a full LP of P5.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yooka-Laylee's already coming out next week and reviews are putting it firmly a whole point (and a half?) below Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts, so that's not gonna be a '17 classic.

Even though you clearly dislike FE, this one might be a biggie since it's a re-departure of the last few games. Then again it already leaked so it's probably already known if it's a masterpiece or not.

I actually barely ever played FE because I haven't had a Nintendo console since the DS, hehe, I don't hold anything against it. At most, I'm just one of those people mystified by how it all of a sudden became one of the BIG RPG things, my brain still puts it below Tactics Ogre and alongside Shining Force - actually, I thought it WAS Shining Force for the longest time. Also I didn't know about Yooka-Laylee, I thought it was shaping up to be a decent collecthaton for people that liked those. That's a shame. I did forget about Splatoon 2 and that's a way bigger thing, so I guess switch those around?

As for the rest of the year, there's also some random poo poo sprinkled around. MvC:I is at least gonna garner some attention, I'm actually thinking Agents of Mayhem might have somethng going for it in MP, and then there's the probable Big Nintendo Game Dump at the end of the year including freakin' Odyssey.

E:
vvv I also think it's probably getting delayed, but it's Capcom, they said they learned their lesson but they might just rush the game out the door. If there's no release date by EVO, yeah, it's gonna be a 2018 game.

Dias fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 6, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
MvCI is probably gonna get delayed

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Captain Baal posted:

MvCI is probably gonna get delayed

It's extremely weird that we haven't seen a single thing of that game since they revealed Cap and Morrigan.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dias posted:

Also I didn't know about Yooka-Laylee, I thought it was shaping up to be a decent collecthaton for people that liked those.

It was and people were still excited for it right until the reviews dropped, most of which complained about camera/performance issues, but they just put out a patch that apparently fixes a lot of those so I don't know why they didn't extend the review embargo a day or two to account for the patch.

It's one of those faithful-to-a-fault games that isn't going to win over anyone who didn't already want a 3D Rare-style game, basically.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dias posted:

I actually barely ever played FE because I haven't had a Nintendo console since the DS, hehe, I don't hold anything against it. At most, I'm just one of those people mystified by how it all of a sudden became one of the BIG RPG things, my brain still puts it below Tactics Ogre and alongside Shining Force - actually, I thought it WAS Shining Force for the longest time.

Fire Emblem: Awakening came out at a early enough point in the lifespan of the 3DS that there was like, nothing else to play. A lot of people jumped onto it just to justify their purchase of the system, and then found out there was a solid game beneath it. It really helped that they lowered the difficulty of the game in comparison to past Fire Emblems, so more people could get into it, and having a marriage/waifu/husband system in the game contributed to the popularity too.

It was basically a perfect storm of elements that helped the game blow up and turn Fire Emblem into one of Nintendo's most surprisingly successful franchises.

Shining Force and Tactics Ogre are dead though. Shining Force has been dead since the 90s, and Tactics Ogre's last game was on the PSP I think?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Casual mode was a bigger deal than anyone thought, because the series for the longest time had a stigma of "It's too hard, I don't want to reset everytime I lose a character." And it was needed because most people are very bad at tactics games for what the target audience was.

Tactics Ogre is "dead" because the core team of that franchise works on FF14.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tae posted:

Tactics Ogre is "dead" because the core team of that franchise works on FF14.

Also cause it was poo poo.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also cause it was poo poo.

Yeah, this.

I've tried getting into Tactics Ogre but the series is just so bad.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Knight of Lodis and Let Us Cling Together are both great games... although boy the latter is a real loving rough diamond. It has a bunch of branching paths, but scales the levels of story missions to discourage you from actually doing them, and ends in a brutally long maze dungeon while leaving the main political plotline kind of dangling in favor of OOPS, DEMONS.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Tactics Ogre is dead because those people are all in the FFXIV gravy train.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

What's Q2 looking like?

Cook Serve Delicious 2, baybeeee

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
In non-Persona-5 related news, Liam has started to do some MLG COD gameplay recently.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ApeHawk posted:

In non-Persona-5 related news, Liam has started to do some MLG COD gameplay recently.

That's pretty cool imo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Knight of Lodis and Let Us Cling Together are both great games... although boy the latter is a real loving rough diamond. It has a bunch of branching paths, but scales the levels of story missions to discourage you from actually doing them, and ends in a brutally long maze dungeon while leaving the main political plotline kind of dangling in favor of OOPS, DEMONS.

Did Tactics Ogre come first or FFT?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Did Tactics Ogre come first or FFT?

tactics ogre was originally a snes game.

matsuno games have a tendency to start out pretty dang political before going straight supernatural thread which is a bummer imo.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Say what you will about the TO games, but at least they didn't have the brutal and bizarre poo poo that Ogre Battle had. Even though they are good games, the alignment/morality/element systems in Black Queen and Lordly Caliber are the most obtuse and poorly explained yet extremely important to the story mechanics I've ever run into in any videogame. They get mad props however for being a game that storyline punishes you for being a brutal murderer. If you play through 64 just winning battles and slayin' dudes the game ends with you being exiled from the kingdom for being a war criminal.

March of the Black Queen is especially bad. Not only does it hide a lot of it's alignment mechanics, it also has three separate ones. I know that the idea is that you're supposed to ignore the alignment systems and play the game organically in order to experience a story shaped by your decisions, but that kind of branching path based storytelling was almost unheard of in console games in 1993 and dropping people into that kind of game with 0 warning or knowledge seems like an ambitious level of fuckery. Also for a game that's trying to use it's branching path story to comment on war and revolution, it sure does incentivize having useless bands of religious propaganda zealots and death squads (this might actually be intentional).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This new Pat Lore of him building little pyramids in the bathroom out of toilet paper rolls is the best. Especially what it leads to at the start of the latest Dark Souls episode.

I don't think I can watch the Persona video knowing that their dreams were dashed mid-recording, honestly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Say what you will about the TO games, but at least they didn't have the brutal and bizarre poo poo that Ogre Battle had. Even though they are good games, the alignment/morality/element systems in Black Queen and Lordly Caliber are the most obtuse and poorly explained yet extremely important to the story mechanics I've ever run into in any videogame. They get mad props however for being a game that storyline punishes you for being a brutal murderer. If you play through 64 just winning battles and slayin' dudes the game ends with you being exiled from the kingdom for being a war criminal.

March of the Black Queen is especially bad. Not only does it hide a lot of it's alignment mechanics, it also has three separate ones. I know that the idea is that you're supposed to ignore the alignment systems and play the game organically in order to experience a story shaped by your decisions, but that kind of branching path based storytelling was almost unheard of in console games in 1993 and dropping people into that kind of game with 0 warning or knowledge seems like an ambitious level of fuckery. Also for a game that's trying to use it's branching path story to comment on war and revolution, it sure does incentivize having useless bands of religious propaganda zealots and death squads (this might actually be intentional).
Is Black Queen the SNES one? Because I played the poo poo out of that whenever I rented it but could never afford it because even back then it was impossible to find or super expensive. Nowadays even a messed up cart is a cool hundo. I know I could just emulate it but ehhhhhhhhhhhh

snes ogre battle was real great though, I managed to get a feel for most of the mechanics pretty quick as a kid

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Captain Invictus posted:

This new Pat Lore of him building little pyramids in the bathroom out of toilet paper rolls is the best. Especially what it leads to at the start of the latest Dark Souls episode.

I don't think I can watch the Persona video knowing that their dreams were dashed mid-recording, honestly.

I dunno if their dreams were dashed per se

if anything judging by twitter pat seems happier to play it on his own time

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
He said they pretty much dodged a bullet.
I'd have been happy to see him get all neurotic over JRPG mechanics, and both of them freak out over story/characters/waifus, but I get the feeling they were gonna be miserable by the end of it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
if nothing else we dodged the traditional "Pat and Woolie get for-real IRL mad at each other and make an episode super awkward for everyone" bit that crops up in their longer LPs

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why would I want to miss that

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Captain Baal posted:

Why would I want to miss that

I think the only one of those that was funny was in Bloodborne

The "look at your shield!" scene earlier in DS1 was face-clawingly awful and the DS2 DLC incident just made that whole video a drag

e: wait no omikron's was funny too

okay that's 2-2 for good/bad

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Blockhouse posted:

The "look at your shield!" scene earlier in DS1 was face-clawingly awful and the DS2 DLC incident just made that whole video a drag

The funniest part of Bloodborne is Woolie explaining his dyslexia and Pat's reaction.

"So it's not that you're wrong, it's that you're broken!" As the two devolve into laughter is pretty much their friendship in a moment.

Also, Omikron was simply the apex of the Sadness Quadrilogy finally taking it's toll on the channel. At least, until Detroit comes out and we discover that it was a Quintilogy all along.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

What were those? I have seen both LPs but don't recall any real confrontations besides the normal "This is the superior way to play this why are you not playing this way?" "I like this better" exchanges that crop up.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i like that pat didn't use the term DPS race to refer to the four kings, maybe the most clear cut example of a dps race I've ever seen

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 6, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Foxhound posted:

What were those? I have seen both LPs but don't recall any real confrontations besides the normal "This is the superior way to play this why are you not playing this way?" "I like this better" exchanges that crop up.

"look at your shield!" was earlier in Darkroot Basin where Pat spent like five minutes trying to get Woolie to look at a shield icon while Woolie thought he meant his character's actual literal shield, with neither of them saying what they're actually thinking until they're annoyed at each other

I forget what exactly kicked off the DS2 thing but it was in the part of the DLC with the fire-spitting heads on the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

There's still no real compilation of the Omikron LP. :livintrope: