Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, at this point Visio just means someone has to install something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This is free:

https://www.draw.io/

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Proteus Jones posted:

I think there are things it's OK to say "I'd google it" and other things you should know during an interview. If it's a networking related position, you should absolutely know how to subnet without google or IP calculator. Regardless, it's an easy skill to learn and demonstrates an understanding of TCP/IP networking.

Here's a good intro to the topic:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/routing-information-protocol-rip/13788-3.html

Yeah, I'd be really dubious of working with someone that couldn't subnet at all(in a networking position). It would be like working with an accountant that couldn't do math outside of a calculator or a spreadsheet.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

LibreOffice Draw is pretty OK for making network diagrams when you don't want to pay any money.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

SamDabbers posted:

LibreOffice Draw is pretty OK for making network diagrams when you don't want to pay any money.

Doesnt have to be free, just want it to be good, preferrably pretty and not in the cloud.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

SamDabbers posted:

Lines are loving atrocious in Draw and if I had any money to spend I'd drop it based on the ugly lines alone.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

jaegerx posted:

Vendor gear is great for cleaning your truck. You’re missing out.

My wife and daughter use the shirts to sleep in. I chuckle whenever I see my daughter go to sleep in a Cisco/Azure Stack t-shirt, or my wife wearing the ugly orange "Stop Hank" shirt that Quest gave out. My kid loves the Ninja Microsoft one.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
i use network notepad for network diagrams. I like it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah the Siemens Signia range are ridiculous in terms of their features.

My father has profound hearing loss (too much time in Sherman tanks, and later "server room" levels of equipment noise 8 hours a day) and so I've heard of how amazingly expensive and finicky hearing aids are. But at least he can hear okay with them. I never considered them for my problem but maybe they could help. I'll check out an audiologist next year.

For most of my life I've had above average hearing in almost all frequencies, but in my forties I started losing the high end. For someone that loves music it's frustrating.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Any of you guys use Goverlan Reach? I'm using their 30 day trial right now and I absolutely love it. I've done everything from querying AD for stale users and computers to automating desktop hardware refreshes to basic help desk stuff with their remote access piece.

I have been evaluating ManageEngine, Kaseya and I still have ConnectWise on my to do list. So far, I'm leaning heavily towards Goverlan. I love the product and their support team is fantastic. And it's only 50 bucks a month per admin and we have just two dudes in IT.

Somewhat related - how is HP's Insight server app suite for monitoring and alerting on hardware issues? I'm guessing it is similar to Dell's OpenManage suite? If I can use that to cover alerting on the server infrastructure then I think I talk my boss into Goverlan over the competition.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ehud posted:

Any of you guys use Goverlan Reach? I'm using their 30 day trial right now and I absolutely love it. I've done everything from querying AD for stale users and computers to automating desktop hardware refreshes to basic help desk stuff with their remote access piece.

I have been evaluating ManageEngine, Kaseya and I still have ConnectWise on my to do list. So far, I'm leaning heavily towards Goverlan. I love the product and their support team is fantastic. And it's only 50 bucks a month per admin and we have just two dudes in IT.

Somewhat related - how is HP's Insight server app suite for monitoring and alerting on hardware issues? I'm guessing it is similar to Dell's OpenManage suite? If I can use that to cover alerting on the server infrastructure then I think I talk my boss into Goverlan over the competition.

i read this as Groverlan at first and immediately started picturing load bearing cable runs. :doh:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I've had pretty good success telling people I don't know off the top of my head, but I can Google really well.

I mean you do have to actually know what they're asking, but it's more important to know where to get answers than knowing all the answers all the time.

In interviews? I mean, I'm sure one or two like that in a technical is ok, but if it was a shutout like my SQL server experience, I doubt telling them I can Google is going to help much.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

skooma512 posted:

In interviews? I mean, I'm sure one or two like that in a technical is ok, but if it was a shutout like my SQL server experience, I doubt telling them I can Google is going to help much.

Well certainly you can't answer that to every question.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

skooma512 posted:

Any good tech interview is going to understand that google is a skill, and appreciate people who know that they don't know everything but can find it on google. They should be pushing to see how far you go before you answer 'google it' and how you think about it, not raw knowledge

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

skooma512 posted:

There’s a enormous difference in a candidate the answers a question with “I don’t know.” vs. “I don’t know but I’d google whatever and try it in my lab.”

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

While in general I agree that showing a willingness and capability to search for answers in an interview is a useful trait I believe that a) “I will google it” is unlikely to get you very far if that’s literally all you say. If you can’t explain what you would look for based on things you DO know then you haven’t really displayed any thing useful and b) “I would google it” is not a good response to very basic questions like “do you understand subnetting” or “do you know anything at all about SQL.”

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

While in general I agree that showing a willingness and capability to search for answers in an interview is a useful trait I believe that a) “I will google it” is unlikely to get you very far if that’s literally all you say. If you can’t explain what you would look for based on things you DO know then you haven’t really displayed any thing useful and b) “I would google it” is not a good response to very basic questions like “do you understand subnetting” or “do you know anything at all about SQL.”

Which is what I said originally.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Yeah, I definitely said 'google' a few times in a technical interview Monday, The interviewer was cool with it, because I knew the troubleshooting steps up to that point. It's only useful when you're able to rule stuff out first - googling something like 'Outlook won't open' as step one probably would have gotten me shown the door.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
If you are an interviewer and you are asking questions about Googleable pieces of information in the first place, you clearly haven't thought your questions through at all

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

If you are an interviewer and you are asking questions about Googleable pieces of information in the first place, you clearly haven't thought your questions through at all

Right? My line of questioning when interviewing consists of a few questions just to make sure they weren't totally bullshitting on their resume, and then questions to see how they think and how they will interact with people. I don't give a poo poo if they have memorized some specific command line to accomplish a specific task.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

My life of memorizing arbitrary Linux commands has been a mistake.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If you guys don't mind tipping your hand and giving away your secrets, what are some of your interview questions?

I've basically bullshit my way through every interview for the past few years. I just ask open ended questions and let them ramble until I shut them up or show them to their desk.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If you guys don't mind tipping your hand and giving away your secrets, what are some of your interview questions?

I've basically bullshit my way through every interview for the past few years. I just ask open ended questions and let them ramble until I shut them up or show them to their desk.

Why should I hire you?

You’ve made a mistake, what do you do?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tab8715 posted:

Why should I hire you?

You’ve made a mistake, what do you do?

I read this as "why should I hire you? I've made a mistake, what did I do"

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

How do you split a screen in vim?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jaegerx posted:

How do you split a screen in vim?

Who gives a poo poo. Use a real editor instead.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

“You’ve been tasked to make a change to the network that you feel is incorrect, what do you do?”

“A coworker isn’t pulling their own weight and the supervisor doesn’t want to notice. How do you handle the situation?”

“What port is IPsec payload traffic on?”

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
1) I describe a weird problem, then ask, "Can you tell me where you would start in order to diagnose this issue?" and then follow up with, "why there?"
2) When under pressure to meet a looming deadline, can you tell me if you are more likely to make compromises to get it done on time or go past the deadline to do it right? Assume there is a business reason for the deadline. Why would you go that route?
3) General conversation to gauge if they are an rear end in a top hat.

Really, I try to guide the conversation to places where I can ask questions that don't have a right or wrong, but give me an opportunity to follow up with, "why?" I am mostly interested to see if I like the way they think. Obviously there are a few knowledge bullet points they need to check off, but those are easy to ask and answer.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Who gives a poo poo. Use a real editor instead.

If you’re a Linux tech you’ve needed to split a screen in vim at least once in your life.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

A candidate this week mentioned how they spend a ton of time "reading about technology" as part of an answer to a different question. When I asked them, they couldn't name a single site or publication that they read, a topic they like reading about, or a single thing they've read about recently. Why even say that?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I read all about tech poo poo on this comedy forum, hire me please.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I read slashdot and digg. Hire me.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I moderate a couple of IT subreddi-oh yes, I WOULD like to meet security!!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

you ate my cat posted:

A candidate this week mentioned how they spend a ton of time "reading about technology" as part of an answer to a different question. When I asked them, they couldn't name a single site or publication that they read, a topic they like reading about, or a single thing they've read about recently. Why even say that?

Maybe they didn't want to admit that the majority of their reading comes from these here dead comedy forums wherein a tech thread with a posting superstar named Dick Trauma exists, oh and IRC...

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

you ate my cat posted:

A guy mentioned he was very passionate in general and had a home lab in an interview recently so I asked what he was working on in his lab. He backed up and said "oh it's just under construction at the moment", great, what are you constructing. "Oh, lots of 2016 stuff". I proceeded to ask him about a bullet point on his resume and he admitted he didn't really do that, another team did, but he was across the high level of what they were doing.

We're still looking.

SeaborneClink posted:

Maybe they didn't want to admit that the majority of their reading comes from these here dead comedy forums wherein a tech thread with a posting superstar named Dick Trauma exists, oh and IRC...
It's not hard to say "some tech forums, recently there was an interesting discussion about cattle vs. pets in cloud environments I found interesting" and have some substance instead of acting like you've just been called on some bullshit.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I don’t have a home lab. I have a laptop and aws gce and DigitalOcean accounts. Please judge me.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

adorai posted:

1) I describe a weird problem, then ask, "Can you tell me where you would start in order to diagnose this issue?" and then follow up with, "why there?"
2) When under pressure to meet a looming deadline, can you tell me if you are more likely to make compromises to get it done on time or go past the deadline to do it right? Assume there is a business reason for the deadline. Why would you go that route?
3) General conversation to gauge if they are an rear end in a top hat.

Really, I try to guide the conversation to places where I can ask questions that don't have a right or wrong, but give me an opportunity to follow up with, "why?" I am mostly interested to see if I like the way they think. Obviously there are a few knowledge bullet points they need to check off, but those are easy to ask and answer.

Just reading these gives me flashbacks to interviews.

I’m also reminded of the baseline test scene in Bladerunner 2049.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

poo poo I don’t think I’ve logged into the control panel on any of them in months. Terraform and ansible all the things.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

jaegerx posted:

I don’t have a home lab. I have a laptop and aws gce and DigitalOcean accounts. Please judge me.

"My home lab is in the cloud" would very much be me turning to the SDM with "well it's a yes from me!" if you could describe even a single project in there.

edit: this seems like a good time to post that https://azure.microsoft.com/en-au/ is a choice homepage if you have cloud to butt installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Cirofren posted:

"My home lab is in the cloud" would very much be me turning to the SDM with "well it's a yes from me!" if you could describe even a single project in there.

I’ve got a lambda app in my github to yell curse words at me on my Alexa. It’s fun to wake up to Alexa screaming obscenities.