Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mu Zeta posted:

I think the Youtube users will never accept integration with an outside source like Hangouts or Allo. They tried to force Google+ into Youtube and everyone hated it. The best schadenfreude part was when the guy that created Youtube and uploaded the first video ever on the site posted that Google+ was poo poo.

Got a link? I'm morbidly curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Google is not really like Microsoft wherein the different units are fighting with each other. It's more that the different units are just really independent and can do what they want.

I don't believe this for one second. They have to work with other things, APIs, shared code, conform to certain in-house standards and policies and that involves discussion, cooperation and adaptation, i.e. war. It's no less of a corporate hellhole that any other global company, only with bean bags and table tennis.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is the Apple one during, or post-Steve Jobs?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I remember seeing that chart when Jobs was still alive, so I would say during.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ola posted:

I don't believe this for one second. They have to work with other things, APIs, shared code, conform to certain in-house standards and policies and that involves discussion, cooperation and adaptation, i.e. war. It's no less of a corporate hellhole that any other global company, only with bean bags and table tennis.

All these things have little bearing on what I said.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Motorola stealing features from OnePlus now??

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

After visiting a friend of mine in Colorado who works for Google's offices in Boulder, I can say that Google does have that weird independence thing going on internally.

What's actually really hilarious is that every time a new messaging service pops up, their internal forums explode with memes and hatred more than what the public seems to do. Probably because they have to deal with it more than the public does.

Basically, in-house most Googlers hate the multiple messengers and they probably wish things were merged into one.

Also, Google gave out neat socks to get vaccinated last year, so that was cool.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As I mentioned before. My Pixel C does this as well. It's not an uncommon thing to happen.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just impulse bought a Pixel XL after my failing Nexus 6 wouldn't take a charge for like an hour. What's the recommended case for it, still the Diztronic TPU and a glass screen protector?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Just impulse bought a Pixel XL after my failing Nexus 6 wouldn't take a charge for like an hour. What's the recommended case for it, still the Diztronic TPU and a glass screen protector?

Still a good combo

EndTask
Dec 26, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

if you want something with a good grip, the speck presidio grip was about $11 on amazon a while back and i'd definitely recommend it, unless anyone else here has had a lovely experience with it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I prefer this style of slim case, especially on bigphones as it adds hardly any dimension to the phone. That's the one I just bought for my regular Pixel, though I think they make one for the XL too. They don't provide much drop protection at all, but it allows me to put the phone down without having to be super gentle about it, slide it around, etc. I've used this style since the Nexus 5.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Caselogic makes the best looking pixel cases.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I got a Spigen case and it feels pretty good but it is super incredibly hard removing it or putting it on to the point you feel you're going to crack the cellphone itself

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Caselogic makes the best looking pixel cases.

Carved makes some really nice looking ones too. I don't have one but I'm really tempted, and I've never used a phone case before.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
drat the pixel XL for 570 plus a free daydream viewer. Very tempting

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Calaveron posted:

I got a Spigen case and it feels pretty good but it is super incredibly hard removing it or putting it on to the point you feel you're going to crack the cellphone itself

What Spigen case do you have that is so difficult to get off? I've got the Rugged Armor and have no issues getting the phone in and out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What Spigen case do you have that is so difficult to get off? I've got the Rugged Armor and have no issues getting the phone in and out.

The hybrid

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Okay, time for a daily USB-C question. I want to get a charger that can charge my 6P and watch from one outlet, so I was going to get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Foldable-2x2-4A-Google-iPhone/dp/B019Z7RVK0/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1502630998&sr=8-13&keywords=usb+c+charger

I've seen people here say that the Choetech chargers are fine, and they claim to be spec compliant...but anyone can claim to be spec compliant, right? The other charger I was looking at is this one from Anker:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Type-C-5-Port-Charger-PowerPort/dp/B0196JB1ZS/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1502631035&sr=8-19&keywords=usb+c+charger

Which is overkill but I guess I could charge my PS4 controllers at the same time, if I needed to (I don't ever need to). But Anker is proven good, right? Should I spend the :10bux: extra on it just to be sure?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
How long would a Pixel XL take to ship from the US Google store right now?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Humerus posted:

Okay, time for a daily USB-C question. I want to get a charger that can charge my 6P and watch from one outlet, so I was going to get this:

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Foldable-2x2-4A-Google-iPhone/dp/B019Z7RVK0/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1502630998&sr=8-13&keywords=usb+c+charger

I've seen people here say that the Choetech chargers are fine, and they claim to be spec compliant...but anyone can claim to be spec compliant, right? The other charger I was looking at is this one from Anker:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Type-C-5-Port-Charger-PowerPort/dp/B0196JB1ZS/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1502631035&sr=8-19&keywords=usb+c+charger

Which is overkill but I guess I could charge my PS4 controllers at the same time, if I needed to (I don't ever need to). But Anker is proven good, right? Should I spend the :10bux: extra on it just to be sure?

I would get Anker. Their products have not let me down yet.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I've got that Anker one and love it, it's a standard recommendation in this thread. Last time I looked I don't think it had specifically been tested by that guy who does that but Anker's reputation is good enough that even when they did have to recall a USB-C cable nobody seemed to take it too hard.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Anker makes good poo poo

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I just added the Anker to my cart, I think the extra length with the power cord to it will help with my desk situation, too. I forgot I had another thing to ask about.

My 6P is doing the "15% battery life? Better shut down" dance. I bought it from Project Fi so it should fall under Google's domain, but I wasn't sure if the extended warranty covered that issue or just the bootloop. I guess I should contact them either way but :effort:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

WeAreTheRomans posted:

How long would a Pixel XL take to ship from the US Google store right now?

I'll let you know by the end of the week.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Humerus posted:

My 6P is doing the "15% battery life? Better shut down" dance. I bought it from Project Fi so it should fall under Google's domain, but I wasn't sure if the extended warranty covered that issue or just the bootloop. I guess I should contact them either way but :effort:

It took me about 20 minutes in an online chat to get my 8 months out of warranty 6P replaced. Do it.

And that Anker charger is solid.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The only way you can get an out-of-warranty fix is if you bought it originally from Google right?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Taffer posted:

Carved makes some really nice looking ones too. I don't have one but I'm really tempted, and I've never used a phone case before.

Yeah, those are nice. I probably should have qualified my statement and said caseology makes the best looking cheap pixel cases.

(yeah, yeah eye of the beholder and all that)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

logikv9 posted:

The only way you can get an out-of-warranty fix is if you bought it originally from Google right?

That's my understanding.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The slightly larger Anker version of that charger was tested and found compliant.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8C6ULO/ref=psdc_12557637011_t1_B0196JB1ZS

The Monoprice Obsidian charger was also tested by Nathan K. and found to be good. This is a more portable charger with a folding plug.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Obsidian-3-Port-Charger-USB-C/dp/B01GSLXMWW

FYI, Mophie's powerstation USB-C XXL 19,500mAh battery with 30w USB-C Power Delivery is starting to show up in Apple stores now. It's more expensive ($149 without charger) and less capacity than the Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD ($109 with charger). However, it's available locally if you have an Apple store around and it does priority passthrough charging on the USB-A port when the C port is charging the battery. So, you can hook something up to the A port and charge at 2.4A and the battery will charge that device to capacity first before recharging its battery. The Anker does have one more USB-A port though.

I'm not sure if its improved on this model, but Anker has always had an issue on their last gen USB-C batteries of it going into recharge mode if you didn't disconnect your device promptly after it finished charging, basically draining your phone back into the battery. The Mophie needs a very explicit button press to reverse the flow of charging when not connected to an AC charger. One other thing I would use as a pro in the Mophie category is that since it's being sold as an Apple accessory in their own stores and they got burned on USB-C before, it's likely this was tested fairly well.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 13, 2017

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
In embarrassing nerd news, I just RSVP'd to a "First Look" event in a couple weeks for the Essential phone/360º camera. No info required beyond my name, so when I inevitably realize how little I want to make my way into West Hollywood on a Friday night, no big deal if I bail on it. Curious how this aligns with release date/for sale date that we're supposed to be finding out in the next couple days.

Still about 99% sure I won't be buying one, but it would be nice to actually be able to try it out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The thing that gets me about the Essential phone right now is they are obviously mass producing them at this point. Get some review units in hands if you want to build any sort of buzz.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The guy hosed up by saying anything about thirty days. Had he kept up a steady flow of leaks and said something like this fall or q4 or something he'd have been fine

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WeAreTheRomans posted:

drat the pixel XL for 570 plus a free daydream viewer. Very tempting

That's a really good deal!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Got my replacement kit from Belkin. It's the same silver one that Nathan K got in his Google Plus post.

https://plus.google.com/102612254593917101378/posts/EtZd6QseWDT

It's nice that they gave a full kit to everyone that bought the car charger. So now I have a bonus 45watt USB-C wall charger. I'll be interested to see the re-tests, but I think after the whole recall issue they likely did their homework.

Neither the kits nor the individual chargers seem to be on sale yet. They are a distinctly new model number than the old ones.

Assuming no issues are found with the car charger, this will be the first 100% spec compliant car charger that will charge a Pixel/XL at full rate in the car.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ordered a Pixel XL a week ago, shipped a few days sooner than expected and should arrive Wednesday (probably took longer cause I went for the cool blue one, which makes no sense cause I'll be terrified to ever take a $600 phone out of the Caseology I got for it). Then while checking out Swappa to sell my 5X, I remembered I had an old iPod Touch in a drawer and plugged it in to charge and reset and maybe sell it too. Using that 4" screen for probably not more than 15 minutes, as soon as I picked up my 5X again it felt enormous and I immediately questioned whether I am truly ready for bigphone life. I knew I didn't want to actually lose .2" with the normal Pixel but I'm curious if I'll actually like 5.5".

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Ordered a Pixel XL a week ago, shipped a few days sooner than expected and should arrive Wednesday (probably took longer cause I went for the cool blue one, which makes no sense cause I'll be terrified to ever take a $600 phone out of the Caseology I got for it). Then while checking out Swappa to sell my 5X, I remembered I had an old iPod Touch in a drawer and plugged it in to charge and reset and maybe sell it too. Using that 4" screen for probably not more than 15 minutes, as soon as I picked up my 5X again it felt enormous and I immediately questioned whether I am truly ready for bigphone life. I knew I didn't want to actually lose .2" with the normal Pixel but I'm curious if I'll actually like 5.5".

Really Blue XL is the best way to Pixel.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

Really Blue XL is the best way to Pixel.
They didn't offer it in 128GB :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Using that 4" screen for probably not more than 15 minutes, as soon as I picked up my 5X again it felt enormous and I immediately questioned whether I am truly ready for bigphone life. I knew I didn't want to actually lose .2" with the normal Pixel but I'm curious if I'll actually like 5.5".
Pixel XL isn't terribly humongous but I guess compared to a 4" screen it could be.

(Bigphone is love, bigphone is life)