Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Saw XCOM2: The Collection is available and saw a tweet somewhere saying it was 50% off (which I assumed to mean 30 bucks). Checked Steam. Collection is 99 dollars. WTF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You know, I've been holding off on buying the dlc and xpack for this reason, waiting for the Gold/GOTY/Bundle whatever, but holy cow that's taking the piss.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

strategery posted:

Saw XCOM2: The Collection is available and saw a tweet somewhere saying it was 50% off (which I assumed to mean 30 bucks). Checked Steam. Collection is 99 dollars. WTF.

The one I see for 90 comes with a controller.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

RBA Starblade posted:

The one I see for 90 comes with a controller.

$60 base.

$100 for the collection - "The XCOM® 2 Collection includes the award-winning strategy game XCOM 2, the War of the Chosen expansion, and four DLC packs (Resistance Warrior Pack, Anarchy’s Children, Alien Hunters, Shen’s Last Gift) for a bundled discount." The expansion is $40, then for these packs $5, $5, $10, $10, so base price total would be $130. Basically they threw in the older DLC.

$90 for XCOM 2 and a controller.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/268500/XCOM_2/

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
How tough are alien facilities compared to Chosen strongholds? When do you go on the offensive?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Facilities are much easier than Chosen Strongholds - they designed the latter to be more risky, such that (iirc) you are unable to evac once you get to the Chosen fight.

The caveat is that if you’ve got Alien Hunters installed, you’re pretty likely to unlock a special alien who can gently caress you up spectacularly, escape without being killed, and hit and run you on subsequent missions until you take it down (when you do, they drop some of the most powerful kit in the game). The game will warn you when a facility has one, though. You’ll want to be at least at plate armor and magnetic guns when you face them for the first time.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If you don't have Alien Rulers, Facilities are 100% optional and only need to be taken out if you've got critically high Avatar progress and no other way of mitigating it.

They also aren't too hard.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Thanks. I turned off the Alien Rulers DLC because I don’t like them, but I was nervous about going after the alien facilities because I had a lot of trouble with the Chosen strongholds.

I lost my second campaign last night. Takeaways are:

-Get more aggressive on the geoscape campaign
-Prioritize infirmary
-SPARKs are, tragically, a waste of time, xp and resources
-Continents have set bonuses for unlocking them!
-Psych soldiers own, and their non-traditional leveling mechanic is hugely beneficial
-I know what UI element indicates turn ending actions now. (Anyone know if there’s a UI element that describes status effects?)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The best thing is to solo a facility with a concealment ranger that can walk through walls

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Uh oh. "Turned off" as in uninstalled, or turned off as in didn't integrate them into Wotc? Those are two different things.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
SPARKs are more a priority for the middle game after you've carved a niche for yourself than a straight waste. i wouldn't recommend hitting them up before you're rocking at least plasma rifles, though, yeah.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Bogart posted:

Uh oh. "Turned off" as in uninstalled, or turned off as in didn't integrate them into Wotc? Those are two different things.

Turned off in the Steam menu.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Anonymous Robot posted:

-I know what UI element indicates turn ending actions now. (Anyone know if there’s a UI element that describes status effects?)

get the cost-based ability colors mod!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I used to think this until I deployed two together on Legendary and they carried me for like six months. Early rocket launchers and heavy cover anywhere goes a long way.

RIP Julian, the only thing that could take you down was two early sectopods who walked into gently caress Valley after half the map revealed. Luckily I got two orders that reduced the price of PG projects so your replacement was cheap as poo poo

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Coolguye posted:

SPARKs are more a priority for the middle game after you've carved a niche for yourself than a straight waste. i wouldn't recommend hitting them up before you're rocking at least plasma rifles, though, yeah.

I love robots and think their skill tree is cool, but I ran three SPARKs now between two campaigns. One had rocket and one had flamer and both of those were lackluster. The armor shredding cannon is ill, but you’re rolling the proving grounds dice to get it. Overdrive is a great skill but not good enough to justify em.

Plus, their armor points try to position them as tanks, but “tanking” is a strategy that works for the enemy and not for you based on the campaign nature of the game. They can’t use cover, right? It’s not just that they don’t show the cover indicator for them.

To note, I was only using them before getting plasma rifles, the last one was just after getting warden armor.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, SPARKs work best if you rush them. They can pretty much carry you for a long time since rainmaker turns their Rocket Launchers into hilarious 'delete any given pod' things.

And since they don't have to deal with fatigue they let you concentrate your exp across fewer soldiers which lets you power rank dudes up. I find them invaluable on Legendary.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah, sparks end up filling a generalist role in a game that really wants you to specialize. they're fantastic for filling in gaps in the roster and are easier to keep in the fight than humans are. everything you posted is very legit and doesn't change, the thing that SPARKs bring to the table is staying power both in the battle and between battles.

i look at them the same way i look at the 3rd party soldiers. one or two is all the more you will ever even want.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

Thanks. I turned off the Alien Rulers DLC because I don’t like them, but I was nervous about going after the alien facilities because I had a lot of trouble with the Chosen strongholds.

I lost my second campaign last night. Takeaways are:

-Psych soldiers own, and their non-traditional leveling mechanic is hugely beneficial

You nailed it. SPARKs aren't bad, but they aren't dramatically better than normal human soldiers while requiring a much, much greater investment. And Psi Ops are just ludicrously powerful, with their only real limitation being that they can't be acquired early unless you rush them like crazy (to the exclusion of nearly all else.) War of the Chosen arguably makes them even better, since the Wetworks upgrade being removed from the Guerilla Training School and the fatigue mechanic both make levelling up conventionally much harder than before; Psi Ops level just as quickly and easily as ever, and don't even require you to field inexperienced troops in the beginning unless you want to.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, I don’t think they’re especially bad on the field, it’s just that I don’t think they’re worth the investment of R&D resources to fund separate upgrade trees for all their gear. I can see how that sunk cost would be better spent if you’re fielding two, though. Their inability to take cover also keeps getting mine prioritized and shredded by the enemy (I had one on its last tick of health, so I had it hang back in an cleared room in a Chosen HQ, and a codex still decided to teleport into that distant room and kill it at the expense of engaging units actually in the combat!)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, I did not like using SPARKs and would rather field a deep bench of soldiers who benefit even more from the WOTC additions (Covert Ops and upgrading from pool points)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

SPARKS own, esp when you use the mod that lets you modify their weapons.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Basic Chunnel posted:

SPARKS own, esp when you use the mod that lets you modify their weapons.

Thats built in to WotC.

The only SPARK mod i run is the one that lets them bond with other soldiers.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zore posted:

Thats built in to WotC.

The only SPARK mod i run is the one that lets them bond with other soldiers.

Yeah, not having robot friends in base WotC makes me sad

E: as well as robots being friends with other robots

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finished my first campaign of XCom 2, it was with the War of the Chosen expansion enabled too. Such an amazing game. I really wish I had bought this when it first came out. XCom 2 is incredible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I started a new campaign tonight, I got to the Advent Black Site mission and the game keeps crashing to desktop now once I grab the vial. :(

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sparks have one major advantage over humans -- they don't get tired. No mind spins, no burnout, no cracking under pressure. If you want a gunner/grenadier who can clutch when it matters, get a Spark. The initial buyin isn't too bad and unless you're lousy, it'll return the investment by saving you an Exi Suit / infirmary time / a soldier's life.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Bogart posted:

Sparks have one major advantage over humans -- they don't get tired. No mind spins, no burnout, no cracking under pressure. If you want a gunner/grenadier who can clutch when it matters, get a Spark. The initial buyin isn't too bad and unless you're lousy, it'll return the investment by saving you an Exi Suit / infirmary time / a soldier's life.

They're great if you can get one but too often I find I don't have enough resources to get one, lest I lose out on a vital weapon upgrade (although this may be because I try to make use of all three faction units)

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I said come in! posted:

I started a new campaign tonight, I got to the Advent Black Site mission and the game keeps crashing to desktop now once I grab the vial. :(

Do you have any mods installed?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The Biggest Jerk posted:

They're great if you can get one but too often I find I don't have enough resources to get one, lest I lose out on a vital weapon upgrade (although this may be because I try to make use of all three faction units)

Is conventional wisdom against this? Skirmisher is a little single-utility, but I quite like the grapple hook for moving around. Also, being able to recruit a major right off the bat via cover op (if your unit was a major when it died, for example) is a huge benefit to keep you off the ropes after a wipe.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

raverrn posted:

Do you have any mods installed?

No mods, just vanilla XCom 2.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Sparks are fantastic but I keep losing mine because advent focuses on them

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012

Anonymous Robot posted:

Is conventional wisdom against this? Skirmisher is a little single-utility, but I quite like the grapple hook for moving around. Also, being able to recruit a major right off the bat via cover op (if your unit was a major when it died, for example) is a huge benefit to keep you off the ropes after a wipe.

I don't think it's against conventional wisdom, but can't tell you the amount of times I've gone into a mission without the latest armor or plasma just cause I decided to get a better ripjack weeks back. Skrimisher and Templars are so fun to play around, but on Legendary and sometimes commander it might be better to skip one faction's upgrades if your not swimming in resources

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The Biggest Jerk posted:

I don't think it's against conventional wisdom, but can't tell you the amount of times I've gone into a mission without the latest armor or plasma just cause I decided to get a better ripjack weeks back. Skrimisher and Templars are so fun to play around, but on Legendary and sometimes commander it might be better to skip one faction's upgrades if your not swimming in resources

Your best bet is skipping Reaper upgrades in that case tbh. Vector Rifles only get one point of damage per tier compared to two for literally every other weapon type, and Reapers have a bunch of ways to deal damage without it with their claymore and remote start.

Meanwhile Templar and Skirmishers are heavily dependent on equipment to stay relevant in the mid and end game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Personally, I probably won’t bother with Templars in my next campaign. I don’t really like the stealth mechanic, though I have been underutilizing scouting and visibility to detect pods and in general (I haven’t used mimic beacons or battle scanners yet either.) Detection/concealment seems too cludgy to depend on as a combat mechanic, and only having one charge of Shadow makes me far less liable to use it. I’m one of those “what if I need this potion later!!” types.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You start with Shadow activated, though, and a fair amount of Reaper abilities explicitly don't break it. Having a dedicated scout with excellent terrain deformation is great on its own, getting another charge of Shadow just makes it better. It's like having a sniper/ranger but better. The game isn't about stealth, it's about hustling through an environment and trying to take on favorable engagements when possible, and a Reaper makes that much smoother. But if it's not for you, it's not for you.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Well I'm about to lose my first attempt at the chosen campaign. I stalled early on and didn't build a comm center feat enough to continue contacting countries. It felt very overwhelming trying to manage everything on the map, but I think I'll have a better go next time. Does chosen affecting resource income go away if you kill the chosen? I only made it to stage two of hunting them so I didn't get very far.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I don't think it does but if you do well enough on terror missions / fulton supply raids, you can easily make up for Chosen income crackdowns over the medium-long term, even while they're still kicking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
So XCOM 2 and the expansion are on sale via the PSN store this week. I was thinking of getting them since I enjoyed vanilla XCOM 2 on my PC :rip: does the expack still make the PS4 performance take a poo poo and die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
I haven't noticed much difference overall between vanilla and the xpack on PS4, except it's more likely to poo poo the bed on the new avenger defense mission.