Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PopZeus posted:

feeling a little crazy - was there a video that was very close-up of Elizabeth Holmes where she is creepily talking right into camera? google is failing me, or maybe i'm thinking of another tech person making a similar video?

edit: nvm found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXqJNcQOBm0

I love how apparently at one point she was advised "Hey, you should try to find a unique aesthetic style for your public appearances. Steve Jobs did and it worked well for him", and then she proceeded to just outright copy Steve Jobs' turtleneck deal. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Did that work well for Steve Jobs?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
she also puts on a deeper voice. try to look up video or audio where she doesnt put up her biz woman persona and compare it to that video or most of her public appaearences.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

PhazonLink posted:

she also puts on a deeper voice. try to look up video or audio where she doesnt put up her biz woman persona and compare it to that video or most of her public appaearences.

Disruptive technologies are basically a cargo cult

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

xtal posted:

Did that work well for Steve Jobs?
After he came back to Apple in the mid 90s? Absolutely.

The whole "guy in a turtleneck and jeans" deal was a lot more low-key and intimate than *ANNOUNCING WINDOWS 99 >2 minute rock video montage< And now here's STAR TREK to talk about how WINDOWS goes WARP SPEEEEED!*

This is aside from that whole canard of "Einstein only had one outfit on the daily because he used his ALPHA PROCESSING BRAIN BANDWITH for more important things" that was also attributed to Jobs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

exmachina posted:

Disruptive technologies are basically a cargo cult

"Disruption" is basically code for "skirting regulations until we're too big to stop".

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

"Disruption" is basically code for "skirting regulations until we're too big to stop".

And, usually, "figuring out a way to avoid unions on technicalities"

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

FilthyImp posted:

The whole "guy in a turtleneck and jeans" deal was a lot more low-key and intimate than *ANNOUNCING WINDOWS 99 >2 minute rock video montage< And now here's STAR TREK to talk about how WINDOWS goes WARP SPEEEEED!*

Yeah, compare Steve Jobs's public persona to that of Steve Ballmer lol
https://youtu.be/Nrtz6tiIgy4

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

This is aside from that whole canard of "Einstein only had one outfit on the daily because he used his ALPHA PROCESSING BRAIN BANDWITH for more important things" that was also attributed to Jobs.

The idea of wearing a sweater and jeans might have been endearing, compared to IBM suits. That's why everyone dresses down lately. But as far as wearing the same outfit every day, the only people who have tried that since are Zuckerberg and Holmes. All three have come to be seen as grifters and extremely goofy, to put it in non-ableist terms.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
On the other hand every tech CEO loves to premiere their poo poo on a big conference stage and charge attendees thousands to see it in person, which I think Apple really started as a trend.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Holmes' whole deal is like Pete Buttegieg; a grift specifically designed to make rich old fucks see them as a motivated young go-getter, not like today's lazy kids with their jobs and independent personalities, while being a total pod person to everyone else.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/grahamstarr/status/1362892788979925005?s=21
Google loudly announcing that they don’t need no stinking ethics

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Their ethical AI team don't seem to understand they are there to rubberstamp what Google does, not actually consider the ethics of it.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

adoration for none posted:

Yeah, compare Steve Jobs's public persona to that of Steve Ballmer lol
https://youtu.be/Nrtz6tiIgy4

Might remember it wrong but I think it was a bizarre attempt at getting people hyped for MS products after Jobs had become the Messiah of Tech. Before that Ballmer was just a forgettable corporate suit.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

aware of dog posted:

https://twitter.com/grahamstarr/status/1362892788979925005?s=21
Google loudly announcing that they don’t need no stinking ethics

It seems that she got fired because she put together a script to make an external backup of a bunch of her emails related to the dismissal of Timnit Gebru, presumably for legal use against the company. To be honest, that seems pretty much par for the course. I don't know what else anyone would expect.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/19/tech/google-ai-ethics-investigation/index.html

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 20, 2021

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Owling Howl posted:

Might remember it wrong but I think it was a bizarre attempt at getting people hyped for MS products after Jobs had become the Messiah of Tech. Before that Ballmer was just a forgettable corporate suit.

Ballmer and Gates definitely were going through a... phase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7PYQCXdX3A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY2j_GPIqRA

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kaal posted:

It seems that she got fired because she put together a script to make an external backup of a bunch of her emails related to the dismissal of Timnit Gebru, presumably for legal use against the company. To be honest, that seems pretty much par for the course. I don't know what else anyone would expect.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/19/tech/google-ai-ethics-investigation/index.html

How else is she to preserve materials for protecting herself against illegal labor practices?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

xtal posted:

The idea of wearing a sweater and jeans might have been endearing, compared to IBM suits. That's why everyone dresses down lately. But as far as wearing the same outfit every day, the only people who have tried that since are Zuckerberg and Holmes. All three have come to be seen as grifters and extremely goofy, to put it in non-ableist terms.

Despite being an rear end in a top hat, an occasional idiot, and at all times a marketer, Jobs definitely wasn't a grifter. He did actually steer Apple into massive amounts of money instead of being a sinking also-ran OS. A lot of it was screaming at designers to make things extremely perfect and bending reality to his own will, but it definitely paid off.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Solkanar512 posted:

How else is she to preserve materials for protecting herself against illegal labor practices?

Get a lawyer first, so she had a court order and a veneer of legality. Realistically, any company is going to have cause to fire someone who is taking company materials for their own use. It's no different than if she had been caught Xeroxing a bunch of corporate documents in person. And frankly if I had been in her position the last thing I'd worry about would be Google attempting an email cover-up.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 21, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Volmarias posted:

Despite being an rear end in a top hat, an occasional idiot, and at all times a marketer, Jobs definitely wasn't a grifter. He did actually steer Apple into massive amounts of money instead of being a sinking also-ran OS. A lot of it was screaming at designers to make things extremely perfect and bending reality to his own will, but it definitely paid off.

Probably ties in with how Apple keeps putting out stuff that has tech nerds go 'It doesn't do anything new, why would I want this?' and then becomes omnipresent because it's the first thing in the market that's actually usable by normal people, they had that laser focus on presentation and accessibility.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kaal posted:

Get a lawyer first, so she had a court order and a veneer of legality. Realistically, any company is going to have cause to fire someone who is taking company materials for their own use. It's no different than if she had been caught Xeroxing a bunch of corporate documents in person. And frankly if I had been in her position the last thing I'd worry about would be Google attempting an email cover-up.

And then they find a million different ways to harass you out of a job. Are you seriously this new to the american workplace?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Solkanar512 posted:

And then they find a million different ways to harass you out of a job. Are you seriously this new to the american workplace?

If anyone is lawyering up they obviously should be prepared to find a new job, that goes without saying. Any version of "I'm going to battle with my company" is going to result in an end of employment. Since she wasn't even doing all this for herself, but rather for her work partner, it was a particularly bad idea.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

xtal posted:

Tech dresses down because they (we) are youth obsessed and need to play up looking like children so you'll believe they're cutting edge.
The best code is made by college drop outs!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HootTheOwl posted:

Tech dresses down because they (we) are youth obsessed and need to play up looking like children so you'll believe they're cutting edge.

It's easier than it looks since the old fucks with all the money think everyone under 50 is a literal child.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Tech dresses down because no one is customer facing except for the sales people (who dress up), and there's no reason to dress up otherwise. The dress code is "wear clothes", aside from that no one really cares for the most part. exceptions may apply for women due to the lovely reality of our world regardless

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You're customer facing if your customers are investors, and then you're dressing down to cargo cult Steve Wozniak's garage

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Volmarias posted:

Tech dresses down because no one is customer facing except for the sales people (who dress up), and there's no reason to dress up otherwise. The dress code is "wear clothes", aside from that no one really cares for the most part. exceptions may apply for women due to the lovely reality of our world regardless

The techbro dress code is emphatically not just "wear clothes." Just like every other human endeavor, clothes are used to communicate who's part of the in-group and who's part of the out-group, and used by people to flex on each other.

I am being 100% serious when I say you wouldn't want to be the person showing up in a hoodie and Allbirds to a "sport coat over a vintage Atari t-shirt with designer jeans and $250 sneakers" event.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Space Gopher posted:

The techbro dress code is emphatically not just "wear clothes." Just like every other human endeavor, clothes are used to communicate who's part of the in-group and who's part of the out-group, and used by people to flex on each other.

I am being 100% serious when I say you wouldn't want to be the person showing up in a hoodie and Allbirds to a "sport coat over a vintage Atari t-shirt with designer jeans and $250 sneakers" event.

I guess I misunderstood. If you mean "The techbro dress code for investor meetings" then yeah, I'm sure you need to go with expensive faux college student bullshit to project an image.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Any tech company that deserves the name does style consultancy because social media exists and a bad picture can gently caress you.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Volmarias posted:

I guess I misunderstood. If you mean "The techbro dress code for investor meetings" then yeah, I'm sure you need to go with expensive faux college student bullshit to project an image.

OK, sure, let's set aside the investors-and-C-levels side of things, and just talk about the engineering organizations.

Try showing up for a few west coast tech interviews in a conservative business suit. You will very quickly learn that there's a dress code, and it's not "just wear clothes."

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I dunno about you, but I show up to all my work meetings pantsless

Works out fine

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I'm 40 and work in tech, and hoo boy there's a dress code, particularly if you're not obviously in your 20s. Being mid 30s or above and giving off any hint that you're that old through your clothes is a great way to not get hired.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Space Gopher posted:

OK, sure, let's set aside the investors-and-C-levels side of things, and just talk about the engineering organizations.

Try showing up for a few west coast tech interviews in a conservative business suit. You will very quickly learn that there's a dress code, and it's not "just wear clothes."

Ok? I'm on the east coast so it's not the same, but people interviewing in conservative business outfits for engineering jobs at my tech company absolutely happens. While I can't speak for other interviewers I'm not going to raise an eyebrow at someone deciding that it's better to come over dressed than under, just in case. It's been the same for everywhere I've worked.

Regional differences? :shrug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Space Gopher posted:

I was at a tech company where engineers complained because the marketing department, which had way more women than the tech department, spent a chunk of their high-tech salaries on designer clothes. Money was supposed to be spent on mountain bikes, not clothing. There is (was?) also a common habit of calling the higher-ups "the suits", meaning "those annoying people who make dumb decisions."

Like you said, in-groups and out-groups.

When I worked in Massachusetts in the '80s, wearing a suit to work was a sure sign you were interviewing somewhere else. In California, wearing a suit to an interview would cause immediate dislike.

e: I once genuinely failed a job interview (with a very high-profile guy) because I ordered the wrong hamburger. What can I say, I like plain hamburgers with pickles. "Not adventurous enough."

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 22, 2021

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Space Gopher posted:

I did a big hiring stint last year in San Francisco and three people out of maybe 30 showed up in suits. Two were immigrants and maybe they weren't used to the tech bro culture? Regardless their suits had no effect on me or the other interviewers because we're not gatekeeping children and one of them landed a role.

He shows up to work in dress shirts still - in San Francisco! The horror!

Edit: Sorry Corona brain, late 2019

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 22, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Ok? I'm on the east coast so it's not the same, but people interviewing in conservative business outfits for engineering jobs at my tech company absolutely happens. While I can't speak for other interviewers I'm not going to raise an eyebrow at someone deciding that it's better to come over dressed than under, just in case. It's been the same for everywhere I've worked.

Regional differences? :shrug:

Yes, ot's a very obvious regional difference. I live on the east coast and have spent the last couple of decades working for bay area companies. You can tell who works on which coast at conferences just by how they're dressed.

Wearing a suit to work in west coast tech means you're the company legal council or you have a funeral to attend that day.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Less Fat Luke posted:

we're not gatekeeping children

I don't mean to pick on you for this, but I don't think the reasons for assigning someone to an in-group or out-group based on clothing are so explicit and surface level that it's completely fair to call people children for doing it. The clothes someone wears is going to add a ton of subconscious bias for or against the person, and thinking that the baseline behaviour for people is to be not biased unless you explicitly think "I won't hire people in suits" is the wrong way to go about it - you really do need to make a conscious effort to work against your preconceived notions and biases.

It's similar to the argument you hear a lot in tech hiring that a company's hiring processes are fair and not discriminatory because no one has explicitly said "let's not hire her because she's a woman" (or whatever underrepresented group you want to include here).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: I once genuinely failed a job interview (with a very high-profile guy) because I ordered the wrong hamburger. What can I say, I like plain hamburgers with pickles. "Not adventurous enough."

Yeah that sounds like a bullet dodged TBH. Hiring staff for their "adventurousness" sounds like a prelude to a whole lot of sexual harassment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, dick waving contests just for the food you pick isn't a good sign