Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Yakuza 0 was the first and only Yakuza game I ever played, and I liked it well enough, it was stupid in all the best ways. This seems to be the most recent one after that, so it's the one I got.

As for why I didn't play any of the other ones, I just assumed they were all 30 years old and only available on console, but admittedly I didn't do much research

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Phlegmish posted:

Yakuza 0 was the first and only Yakuza game I ever played, and I liked it well enough, it was stupid in all the best ways. This seems to be the most recent one after that, so it's the one I got.

As for why I didn't play any of the other ones, I just assumed they were all 30 years old and only available on console, but admittedly I didn't do much research

:dafuq:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Phlegmish posted:

They are all, or almost all, available on PC and often get very cheap during Steam sales.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

I can't remember what I made this for but feels relevant (??)

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phlegmish posted:

okay so kiwami 1 is a remake of 1, using the same engine as 0. kiwami 2 is on the fancy new engine used in 6. 3, 4 and 5 were made before 0 but feel mostly similar. 6 is modern and feels great like kiwami 2. you will never end up playing a game that feels all that much older than 0.

7/LaD is a JRPG. Man who Erased His Name is a spin-off that plays like 6. 8/IW is a continuation of the JRPG side. you can play any of them, but it’s better to go through them in some kind of order. either just 7-8, 0-6, just 0, 4, 7/8, they’re all valid ways.

only one i’d recommend skipping is maybe 3, which is the worst in the series, but it’s still fine. 4 mostly focused on new protagonists. kiwami 1 is a very natural follow on from 0.

part of the beauty of the series is in how you see kamurocho (kabukicho in real tokyo) and its inhabitants change over time, from the 80s to today, and i personally feel like it misses the poignancy of 0 to immediately leave the glitzy heights of the bubble economy and go to a magical version of hawaii where the interest rate is $1-100¥

all of them are available on PC very readily, the only ones not available are the original PS2 versions of 1 and 2, with original 1 only being a relevant thing to play because of mark hamill as majima.

please play kiwami 1

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Phlegmish posted:

I think it's perfectly fine to go from Yakuza 0 to the Like a Dragon series: you don't need to play all of the various Yakuza games like Kiwami and all that which follow the adventures of Kiryu. I think the main problem that people are having is that you went straight to Infinite Wealth instead of playing Like a Dragon first, as that is the first part of the JRPG series which introduces Ichiban as a character and his crew. If we were to use Star Wars terms, it's fine that you skipped to a different trilogy, but instead of going to the start of a new trilogy, you went to the middle, like going from A New Hope to The Last Jedi instead of The Force Awakens. However, I'm sure you can probably get the gist and still have a fun time, though.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 13, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think that's the part that tripped me up, I did not realize that Like A Dragon and Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth were two different games. I totally missed the 2020 release.

I have now seen the error of my ways, it seems I really should play the original LAD first.

But first I will try out Kiwami 1, Herpicle's pitch about the Lost Decade makes it sound really cool. If I end up really feeling it I'll probably try the others too, if not it's straight to LAD.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

search for "yakuza" in the steam storefront for a pleasant surprise

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm late but my recommendation stands

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Thanks for the responses RE: Hitman on the last page.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Runa posted:

search for "yakuza" in the steam storefront for a pleasant surprise

Should I play Yakuza Cats before or after Like a Dragon?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Kennel posted:

Should I play Yakuza Cats

:haibrow:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Hold off for the remake, Yakuza Catwami

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kennel posted:

Should I play Yakuza Cats before or after Like a Dragon?

You've got time to beat YLAD before the Yakuza Cats steam release, don't get left behind

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I think that's the part that tripped me up, I did not realize that Like A Dragon and Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth were two different games. I totally missed the 2020 release.

I have now seen the error of my ways, it seems I really should play the original LAD first.

But first I will try out Kiwami 1, Herpicle's pitch about the Lost Decade makes it sound really cool. If I end up really feeling it I'll probably try the others too, if not it's straight to LAD.

heck yeah! i can pretty much guarantee that you’ll like the rest of them if you enjoyed 0, but you might hit fatigue with the formula. LaD also is set in and around kamurocho, and having visited kabukicho after playing it, it was so very surreal recognising everything fairly intimately walking in there for the first time in my life. crazy

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Should've been called "Nyakuza", smh.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Listen, a real yakuza would be glad that their favorite franchise is getting attention from a complete newcomer who knows literally nothing about it, including which game is which or who any of the characters are.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

heck yeah! i can pretty much guarantee that you’ll like the rest of them if you enjoyed 0, but you might hit fatigue with the formula. LaD also is set in and around kamurocho, and having visited kabukicho after playing it, it was so very surreal recognising everything fairly intimately walking in there for the first time in my life. crazy

Kiwami (1) is the one that chronologically follows after 0, right? I mean, that does make sense :hmmyes:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/834530/Yakuza_Kiwami/

I was going to wait for a sale, but €20 for a full remaster isn't too bad, I'll just get it now.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

Listen, a real yakuza would be glad that their favorite franchise is getting attention from a complete newcomer who knows literally nothing about it, including which game is which or who any of the characters are.

Kiwami (1) is the one that chronologically follows after 0, right? I mean, that does make sense :hmmyes:

I was going to wait for a sale, but €20 for a full remaster isn't too bad, I'll just get it now.

If you have gamepass, I'm pretty sure every Yakuza game besides Infinite Wealth is on there

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A few pages back somebody mentioned this bundle and I wanted to call back and say that was a really good recommendation: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/41043/Why_Not_Both/

I blasted through Cryptmaster in a handful of sessions and had a really good time with it. Fun, engaging, and pretty unique gameplay. I only just started with 1000xResist and it's... really weird, but in a very interesting way. It kinda reminds me of Signalis in some ways, but it's also very different in others. Certainly has me hooked so far.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

yeah, kiwami 1 is the direct follow up- it's a remake, not a remaster since the original was a PS2 game, as is kiwami 2.

they changed some elements of 1's story and inserted some new content to make it tie into 0 a lot more, whereas when 0 first released it hinged on the dramatic irony of fans knowing exactly what happens to all the characters in the future, and now it's a bit of a weird ouroboros situation where there really is no perfect place to start the series other than the original PS2 release?? but lets be real, perfect is very much the enemy of good, and every game is a good game to start with. i started on 4, personally

3, 4 and 5 are just remasters. 6 is a straight up release. 0 and Kiwami 1 are the last two of that older PS3 era generation, while kiwami 2 and 6 were PS4/XBONE, so there's a huge difference between them.

even if you didn't play the rest of the games where kiryu was the protagonist, I'd still highly recommend The Man Who Erased His Name before Infinite Wealth, since it's relevant to that game's story and directly precedes it, unless you become allergic to the brawling and wanted just JRPG action

and just to add, i am glad that you're now into the franchise, i was just a bit shocked that you jumped to infinite wealth!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

There's also Like A Dragon: Ishin which is the Yakuza cast in 1800s Japan, and Judgement and Lost Judgement which are in the same universe as the Yakuza games and follow a lawyer/detective/rear end-kicker

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
How's Diablo 4 nowadays? It's on gamepass and it has a new season coming out... tomorrow iirc; worth it to go through campaign at least until next PoE League? :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Edmond Dantes posted:

How's Diablo 4 nowadays? It's on gamepass and it has a new season coming out... tomorrow iirc; worth it to go through campaign at least until next PoE League? :v:

Yeah tomorrow, 10am pacific, is the absolute best time to get into Diablo IV if you're gonna do it. The game is getting better and better with each season, and season 4 is really positive so far based on the test realm feedback.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<

Edmond Dantes posted:

It’s alright, but if you play a ton of PoE I imagine it will feel like a downgrade in a lot of ways. Campaign is fun for a playthrough.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

kazil posted:

Lost Judgement

Does this have the same mechanic as Judgement, where the town gets invaded by gangs/bosses? I got pretty sick of that in Judgement by the end, and would just run around all of them

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah tomorrow, 10am pacific, is the absolute best time to get into Diablo IV if you're gonna do it. The game is getting better and better with each season, and season 4 is really positive so far based on the test realm feedback.

I am kind of curious about the new loot system.. I never used up my free battle pass either, so I might put it on the Deck again

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Does this have the same mechanic as Judgement, where the town gets invaded by gangs/bosses? I got pretty sick of that in Judgement by the end, and would just run around all of them

I haven't played in a while so it blurs a bit with Judgement. Overall, Lost Judgement is a better game. Tones down some of the lovely parts of the first game, has a pretty neat setting. Basically, you get involved in a high school and end up doing side stuff for the different clubs.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I bought it during the last sale and regret it. Genuinely one of the worst arpgs I have ever played, only slightly above Darkspore.

The only saving grace is the stark tone they go for with the cinematics. All the actual game stuff is either rote or a huge step backwards. Bland skills, environments, monsters, dungeon layouts, itemization, bland everything. Frequent hiccups due to the always online stuff that adds nothing to the experience. It commits the arpg sin of having a map that reveals entire regions at a time instead of uncovering the path you actually took, so you have no way to keep track of unexplored areas.

If you already have Game Pass maybe it's worth installing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, if you already have GamePass then you may as well check it out, the cinematics are gorgeous as you'd expect from a Blizzard game but that's about it :shrug: I really don't think it's worth going out of your way to spend money on. I'm amused by the fact that they're pretty much just ripping Last Epoch's crafting system with this upcoming update.

Their entire approach to skill design this game is just awful. Is "Vulnerable" still leagues ahead of every single other affix for making Damage go Up?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I was about to install it during the weekend but remembered the new season was coming out.

Eh, it's not like it's costing me money, I'll give the campaign a try at least, not like I don't have a ton of other poo poo to play (including LE).

Thanks!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Because of its place in the narrative? I can see it, the game starts out with a billion cutscenes about the protagonist's extremely awkward date (it is cringe as the kids would say), which I don't care about since I don't know who they are, so it's kind of dragging. But I assume it will settle into something more conventional soon enough.

Because video games cost so much to make, most game sequels are made in a way where you can play one without playing a bunch before, because they want you to buy the newest one. Yakuza/Like A Dragon doesn’t really work that way. It’s heavily narrative focused.

7 works as really good entry point since it has a new protagonist and moves to the RPG battle system. Infinite Wealth’s story heavily deals with the consequences of 7. It’s also usually very cheap, including being on Humble Choice right now.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Personally I largely enjoyed the Diablo IV campaign/story. Perhaps it was because the D3 campaign sucked poo poo, but it felt like a major step up in terms of storytelling, cinematics and structure, and overall a fun time. But yeah, once I was done with that, the game just about immediately ran out of steam and the postgame didn't keep me invested at all.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 13, 2024

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Perestroika posted:

Personally I largely enjoyed the Diablo IV campaign/story. Perhaps it was because the D3 campaign sucked poo poo, but it felt like a major step up in terms of storytelling, cinematics and overall structure and overall a fund time. But yeah, once I was done with that, the game just about immediately ran out of steam and the postgame didn't keep me invested at all.

Same here. The campaign was pretty fun, had some genuinely creepy moments, and avoided D3's cartoon evil, but the actual gameplay wasn't enough to keep me playing afterwards.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Detective No. 27 posted:

Because video games cost so much to make, most game sequels are made in a way where you can play one without playing a bunch before, because they want you to buy the newest one. Yakuza/Like A Dragon doesn’t really work that way. It’s heavily narrative focused.

7 works as really good entry point since it has a new protagonist and moves to the RPG battle system. Infinite Wealth’s story heavily deals with the consequences of 7. It’s also usually very cheap, including being on Humble Choice right now.

7 is also a stronger game than IW imho, while they refined the mechanics in IW the story is ridiculously all over the place, and instead of kind of drip feeding you new plot and gameplay elements at a steady pace like 7, the sequel basically dumps two hours of exposition on you, then dumps you in Hawaii, and then you go through a series of random double crosses and things just kind of happening for the duration. As a fan of the series I was still into it and Hawaii is a cool setting for sure, but the way it introduces old characters/etc is so random and haphazard it would be totally incomprehensible to anyone starting there.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

:five:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
As someone who didn't complete 0 and then skipped to LAD (I vibed with Ichiban more than Kiryu), yeah Infinite Wealth plays heavily on nostalgia for 0-6. I still found it pretty good but it was clearly better the more Yakuza you had played beforehand.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I love how one post mentioning yakuza playing order - not even asking a question - immediately summoned all the subsidiary families of the Goon Clan (as well as one weirdo from the Bad Opinions Alliance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Kiryu knows how to buy Hitman I can tell you that much