Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Gnumonic posted:

Burned a few pots out before the old lead-free stuff I had would even melt
Lead free works better if you have a separate ground lug. Also in general I’d rather ground to a lug, less awkward to work with imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE9H1bW-zQ4

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
e: NM

Huxley fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 2, 2019

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Can you use standard guitar picks on nylon strings or do you need something gentler? I have a vision of a Jazz III sawing through a nylon string like a bread knife.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I kinda want to get the jp script 5150 pedal because it's on sale now, but I'd rather save my money and get a katana mkII

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EVH5150KATA--mxr-evh-5150-limited-katakana-edition-overdrive-pedal

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I kinda want to get the jp script 5150 pedal because it's on sale now, but I'd rather save my money and get a katana mkII

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EVH5150KATA--mxr-evh-5150-limited-katakana-edition-overdrive-pedal

Is it different at all or is it just the visuals?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Anime Reference posted:

Is it different at all or is it just the visuals?

just visuals. but pretty decent deal at $120

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The EQD Plumes is on sale, too: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Plumes--earthquaker-devices-plumes-small-signal-shredder-overdrive-pedal
Excellent overdrive IMO, I'm very happy with mine.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
From the reviews the name "overdrive" is a little misleading because it's a full on high gain distortion pedal. The idea would be to use it in front of the JCM800 but I still have my bogner uberschall which pairs very well with the amp, I'm just having pedal acquisition syndrome.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Made a small adjustment to my pick grip and suddenly the exercise I was practicing became 5x easier. On the one hand yay progress, but on the other hand good lord have I still not figured out how to hold a pick after two years?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

Can you use standard guitar picks on nylon strings or do you need something gentler? I have a vision of a Jazz III sawing through a nylon string like a bread knife.

it's good enough for willie nelson

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think an argument can be made that a Rat can do overdrive just as well as it can do moderate op-amp fuzz. The only real problem is that they can't output that loud so they won't really push a tube amp particularly hard.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Ruetz mod makes a rat a decent overdrive, its just clips one resistor. I had a turbo rat clone which had the parameter fixed to an adjustable pot and the turbo has more output.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, the black secret has it on a toggle too.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Been a while since I've posted because I was in the process of moving / life stuff and got rid of all of my gear except my Kiesel ZM6, Yamaha THR10X, and Scarlett 2i2, which are honestly my 3 favorite pieces of hardware ever.

Anyway I've gotten back into playing and recording pretty heavily, just making goofy videos for my friends and having fun. I'm trying to keep my setup as minimal as possible because one of the traps I fall into otherwise is endlessly tweaking plugins and DAW settings and I spend more time on that than the actual things I enjoy doing, which is one of the reasons I stopped for a while in the first place.

One issue I've run into recently (now that I'm taking my tone more seriously) with going DI is that there doesn't seem to be enough air/space/room to breath with heavier stuff. Everything I'm playing sounds really boxed in with no sense of space.

I'm wondering if this can be solved with playing around with reverb settings, but I haven't been able to quite nail it yet. Anyone else experience this and found a solution or have any suggestions?

For a real world example I've been doing a lot of Iron Maiden stuff lately and I used 2 Minutes to Midnight for tone matching, and while I was able to get it REALLY close as far as the actual tone, mine absolutely sounded like a guitar plugged directly into a computer (via the THR10X) whereas the original recording feels like you're in the room with them.

For no reason here's a pic of my rad guitar because it's rad:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I dunno jack about recording but that guitar is sick. :kimchi:

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
I just found this thread but I want to brag on a deal I scored.

I know the MkIIs are out now but a couple months ago I got a Katana head/cab with foot controller for $380 on Craigslist in mint condition. The foot switch was still packaged and everything else looked brand new.

Also, that guitar is rad...

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
My 2000-ish RAT 2 can absolutely do mild breakup overdrive just fine with the gain (“distortion”) knob turned down, yeah I guess the output isn’t super loud but I mean you can get it to above unity easily enough.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Fullroundaction, if you use the free and awesome NadIR for impulses, that has a 'room control' built in- no idea if it's a reverb or another impulse it sends the impulses through in a fractal (no pun) manner, but I've found setting it to 15-20% really helps things sound less 'in the box', especially when I'm stuck playing in headphones.

Edit: alternatively, especially if you like the sound coming out the amp as is, set up a send track with a 'room' or 'studio' setting set to 100% and send your guitar to it gradually to taste. You could save this as part of a template to minimise faff once you've got it to your taste.

As an aside, now I've set up an insane template in Cubase:

-slate drums 5 with multi-outs, sent to a drum bus. Bog standard doublekick on 16ths/snare on the 2 and 4 midi beat already programmed.
-four rhythm guitar tracks with my preferred ampsims, two per side for quad tracking, sent to a guitar bus
-two 'record' tracks panned out wide (so it sounds normal when playing not all skewed to one side) to which I then drag stuff onto the appropriate left or right pairs when I'm happy with a take, also to guitar bus
-a 'lead channel' centre panned, straight to main output.
-a couple of sends such as a hall reverb.

BUT I have all the guitar tracks bar the lead channel deactivated when I open the project.

Speeds up loading, less processing and means I can just jam to drums/other tunes straight away, but if I do decide I want to record something or lay down some chords to practice over then everything is all in place to do it.

I'm definitely writing much more and actually practicing more since I made this template, and various track presets I can load in for other tonez. Well worth the hour or two of dicking around getting it to my liking in the long run.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 4, 2019

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Give Valhalla Room a shot, it's cheap for a pro-quality reverb and it's got a full-featured demo. Lots of nice subtle ambiences, and it'll also happily go completely buck wild (the Nostromo mode is absurd).

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Awesome, will try these things and report back. Thanks for the suggestions!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
One of the things that led me to buy Logic was the absolutely mind-numbing amount of amazing plugins it comes stock with. I know it's obviously not an option for the Windows-having folks, but if you are on a Mac, Logic is worth the price 10x over just for the plugins.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Logic's price is crazy for what it can do. If I wasn't a dirty Windows user and Cubase devotee I'd be all over that, it's half the price of Cubase Pro and the amount of stuff it comes with is bonkers. Space Designer alone has gotta be worth a hundo if it were a standalone.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

Been a while since I've posted because I was in the process of moving / life stuff and got rid of all of my gear except my Kiesel ZM6, Yamaha THR10X, and Scarlett 2i2, which are honestly my 3 favorite pieces of hardware ever.

Anyway I've gotten back into playing and recording pretty heavily, just making goofy videos for my friends and having fun. I'm trying to keep my setup as minimal as possible because one of the traps I fall into otherwise is endlessly tweaking plugins and DAW settings and I spend more time on that than the actual things I enjoy doing, which is one of the reasons I stopped for a while in the first place.

One issue I've run into recently (now that I'm taking my tone more seriously) with going DI is that there doesn't seem to be enough air/space/room to breath with heavier stuff. Everything I'm playing sounds really boxed in with no sense of space.

I'm wondering if this can be solved with playing around with reverb settings, but I haven't been able to quite nail it yet. Anyone else experience this and found a solution or have any suggestions?

For a real world example I've been doing a lot of Iron Maiden stuff lately and I used 2 Minutes to Midnight for tone matching, and while I was able to get it REALLY close as far as the actual tone, mine absolutely sounded like a guitar plugged directly into a computer (via the THR10X) whereas the original recording feels like you're in the room with them.

For no reason here's a pic of my rad guitar because it's rad:

I wonder if a decent condenser mic might be useful (Shure on the high-end). I know it’s a gear “solution”, but I’ve got a similar setup and am considering something like that. I am no sound engineer though.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I am Mac user and I do use Logic (and love it, if for nothing else Drummer alone saves me a million hours). I could get away with using Garageband for most of the stuff I do honestly, but I can't live without being able to do bus sends.

nitsuga posted:

I wonder if a decent condenser mic might be useful (Shure on the high-end). I know it’s a gear “solution”, but I’ve got a similar setup and am considering something like that. I am no sound engineer though.

I did bring a decent (directional) mic home from work that we use for podcasting and ran some tests last night. It did help a lot, and I think a mic'd up solution has the highest potential if I was able to get it right, but my only "studio" space shares a wall with my daughters bedroom so I only have like 1 hour a night to play if I don't go DI :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Just say you're gonna make soothing ocean sounds for her and then cover the whole Leviathan album

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hello, today for bring your dad to work today little fullroundaction brought her da- *kicks down door* SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

I am Mac user and I do use Logic (and love it, if for nothing else Drummer alone saves me a million hours). I could get away with using Garageband for most of the stuff I do honestly, but I can't live without being able to do bus sends.

I did bring a decent (directional) mic home from work that we use for podcasting and ran some tests last night. It did help a lot, and I think a mic'd up solution has the highest potential if I was able to get it right, but my only "studio" space shares a wall with my daughters bedroom so I only have like 1 hour a night to play if I don't go DI :(

That's awesome. I've been using the models in GarageBand myself, and they do the job, but I want to try some micing too. I guess an IR is still worth a try.

Cru Jones posted:

I just found this thread but I want to brag on a deal I scored.

I know the MkIIs are out now but a couple months ago I got a Katana head/cab with foot controller for $380 on Craigslist in mint condition. The foot switch was still packaged and everything else looked brand new.

Also, that guitar is rad...

Not bad, dude. I'm trying to figure out what to do for an amp, and a 100-watt Katana does check quite a few boxes for me. You should definitely check out the Sneaky Amps if you aren't familiar with them..

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Spanish Manlove posted:

Hello, today for bring your dad to work today little fullroundaction brought her da- *kicks down door* SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER

We were at my mother in law's for thanksgiving and my 2 year old grabbed her umbrella and started holding it up, think Luke Skywalker on that poster for the original star wars or like a franzetta painting. I immediately started with "this ivory leg is what propels me!"

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Spanish Manlove posted:

My 10yo daughter was complaining about Christmas music in the car the other day and we asked her what she wanted to listen to. She said she “doesn’t even like music” but to put on the Trolls soundtrack or some “slow heavy metal”.

Her (not really) uncle is heavy into stoner/doom so she likes when we listen to Sleep, Earth, Bongripper, etc. I literally have the best kid

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

fullroundaction posted:

My 10yo daughter was complaining about Christmas music in the car the other day and we asked her what she wanted to listen to. She said she “doesn’t even like music” but to put on the Trolls soundtrack or some “slow heavy metal”.

Her (not really) uncle is heavy into stoner/doom so she likes when we listen to Sleep, Earth, Bongripper, etc. I literally have the best kid

My daughter (11yo) put down Tool and Lateralus as her favorite band and album in her "all about me" at the beginning of the school year. I am a proud papa.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

fullroundaction posted:

Lol yes

My sister discovered that my 1yo neice really grooves out to Mötley Crüe. I tested Motorhead on her and she didn't budge so maybe when she's a little older I'll try again and see if she digs d-beat or something

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
^^^ Whole lot of kids that don't suck ITT. I'm into it.

Lumpy posted:

My daughter (11yo) put down Tool and Lateralus as her favorite band and album in her "all about me" at the beginning of the school year. I am a proud papa.

That rules. My mom has one of those albums/books from when I was young where they ask you a series of questions and in 3rd grade I apparently said I wanted to "be in Guns n Roses" when I grew up which is also still true.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
my brother in law texted me a few months back that his newborn kid seriously jams out to hawkwind in the baby carrier when they're driving around

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Almost every night my daughter asks me to sing Those Anarcho Punks Are Mysterious almost every night.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i dont post here but just wanted to pop in and say ive been playing for 20 years now and even though its destroying my arms i love playing to death and ripping notes is the best feeling in the world!

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Just lol if you're kid doesn't know all the words to Round and Round by Ratt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Dobk6WbRM
Seriously though my kid is p drat awesome. His fav genre is basically hair metal, favorite band is Metallica, and his favorite song is Buried in Sand by Anciients. I think I'm doing something right...

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm 100% buying my niece a full drum kit when she's old enough then teaching her punk beats then blast beats.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That’s how I could get a drummer for my band. :classiclol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Isn't a blast beat just a more coordinated version of what a little kid does with a drum kit anyway?