Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Flaggy posted:

No joke.

That's not a novelization that's a... gameization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Centipeed posted:

That's not a novelization that's a... gameization.

That is the actual front cover of the game and the novel. Reading the back of it is even more hilarious.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Does anyone know of a good history of east asia, mainly including Japan, China, and the Koreas? I know there are tons of general history surveys of the west but I don't know what a good one would be for the east.

Re: Dante's Inferno. I don't get it - it says Translated by Longfellow so that's the real Dante's Inferno, right? I bet a bunch of video game nerds have been really disappointed...

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 22, 2016

Jaded Mandarin
Dec 19, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Wiener Pee Mouth posted:

I'm looking for dark, well-written fiction (I know that's an absurdly broad category). I'm not too picky about the subject matter and am open to any suggestions. The only thing I'm not really interested in is sci-fi.

Damon Galgut's The Good Doctor is pretty dark and somewhat emotively draining, and his prose is wonderful and deceptively simple.

J. M. Coetzee's Waiting for Barbarians is fantastic. It's an iconic allegory of imperialism and colonization, also very draining, but entirely worth it.

Khushwant Singh's Train to Pakistan is more violent than dark per se, but he's also ridiculously talented.

pandaK posted:

I'd like something more in the realms of fantasy.

The Travels of Marco Polo, then?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Jaded Mandarin posted:

The Travels of Marco Polo, then?

That was pretty fantastic, but it wasn't fantastic enough.

Jaded Mandarin
Dec 19, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Hmm. Can't think of anything fitting besides Sindbad the Sailor, but if you don't mind branching out into the medium of comics, Bone fits the bill.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

pandaK posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for stories about adventure, exploration and discovery of the like? For a lack of a suitable example in literature (excuse me for using anime and video games as an example), something like Kino no Tabi and Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles that place heavy emphasis on discovery and world building.
I have a book here called The Edge of the World of the Terra Incognita series by Kevin Anderson that sounded like what I wanted based off of the blurb on the back, but I'd like to know if you guys know of any other books that I'm asking for.

Idle Days on the Yann by Lord Dunsany, and a bunch of other random short stories by him.

The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle (yes, the Holmes guy)

Hrm. I'll try to think of others. If you stretch a LOT of early fantasy and sf fits (John Carter of Mars, etc., anything where human gets transported to fantasy world) but I don't thnk that's what you really want. All depends on how wide a net you cast.

EDIT: Yeah, Bone is a great choice.

Mieville's The Scar. Mary Renault's The Persian Boy.

Robin Hobb's Dragon Haven/Dragon Keeper duology fits to a T but GOOD GOD be prepared for a heavy dose of estrogen: bigger Girl Book than anything since The Mists of Avalon. (Plot concerns exploration with a troupe of disabled dragon babies).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 16, 2012

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Can anyone recommend some good books featuring characters with unusual abilities that take a realistic/scientific/intelligent approach to it?

I'm thinking about stuff like the Merchant Princes series by Charles Stross, where characters use their ability to travel between our world and a geographically similar, feudal-era alternate history version of it to smuggle drugs past customs via medieval-land and take guns over to arm their chainmail-wearing henchmen with. The travel works by looking at a particular pattern/symbol, so they all have the symbol tattooed on them under their hair in case of emergencies. Stuff like that.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 16, 2012

Jaded Mandarin
Dec 19, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Stravaganza sounds much like the series you described, except that the setting is a parallel universe Renaissance Italy.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jaded Mandarin posted:

Stravaganza sounds much like the series you described, except that the setting is a parallel universe Renaissance Italy.

Thanks, looked it up and those sound pretty cool - I'll see if I can pick up the first book somewhere.

Come to think of it, alternate universes in general are pretty sweet. I liked Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy a lot.

If anyone has recommendations for other books focused on travel to parallel worlds, I'd be glad to hear them.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jack the Lad posted:

Can anyone recommend some good books featuring characters with unusual abilities that take a realistic/scientific/intelligent approach to it?

Sortof on this vein, Lawrence Watt-Evan's Ethshar series is fantasy but with very realistic, reaasonable characters who act intelligently given the fantasy world -- magic's just another set of rules and everyone knows those rules and responds to them appropriately.

The first one is The Misenchanted Sword. Guy is a soldier, gets bound to a magic sword that makes him unbeatable in combat, and he has to deal with all the consequences of that. Don't want to give too much of the plot away but it's very much "how would a normal, reasonable guy who isn't a prophesied hero or megalomaniac or anything react to having a supremely powerful magic sword."

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jack the Lad posted:

This is a really anemic recommendation, but it sounds like Orson Scott Card's Pathfinder might fit your interest. I say anemic, because compared to Ender's Game I thought it was a horrible disappointment, but he seems to try to explain some supernatural abilities using some loose grasp of time travel paradox, etc.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 18, 2012

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Jack the Lad posted:

Check out Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination. It's sort of an ur-cyberpunk novel with hard scifi teleportation, telepathy and super speed.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

Check out Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination. It's sort of an ur-cyberpunk novel with hard scifi teleportation, telepathy and super speed.
Seconding this.

Left Behind and A Game of Thrones have something in common. They are both fairly lengthy series' where main characters die. May somebody please tell me of another series which does the same thing? Thank you.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lampsacus posted:

Left Behind and A Game of Thrones have something in common. They are both fairly lengthy series' where main characters die. May somebody please tell me of another series which does the same thing? Thank you.

Joel Rosenberg's "Guardians of the Flame" series is pretty lengthy (10 books if you count 3 kind of spinoffs), and IIRC a fair amount of main characters die throughout. First book is "The Sleeping Dragon."

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

DrGonzo90 posted:

Anyone read Yann Martel's latest novel: http://www.amazon.com/Beatrice-Virgil-Novel-Yann-Martel/dp/0812981545/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1326237525&sr=8-3 ? Is it any good?

Missed this the first time, sorry. I've read it and can't give a glowing recommendation. If you can find it on the cheap, go for it(I think the 11.20 on amazon for the paperback is too much, personally) but don't expect another Life of Pi. There is nothing "epic" about this book, even if the Amazon blurb says there is.

An admitted author stand-in and a weird taxidermist argue about the taxidermist's manuscript for a play, that's the framing of the story. The best parts of the book are the bits of the manuscript we get to see which star Beatrice and Virgil (who are really two animals in the taxidermist's shop). It feels like the play was originally supposed to be the whole novel, but Martel ran out of time/gave up or the publisher didn't like it and so he threw this book together with the remnants.

Parts of it are moving, and Martel's writing ranges from solid to outstanding (the play bits), but the story is small and quiet, and the ending is abrupt and unearned. It makes sense, storywise, but it's also a copout IMO.

When I finished, I thought it was okay but forgettable, and recalling it now I feel the same way. At $5 in the remainder bin the book was a good buy, but I'd feel cheated if I had paid full price for it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monarchies_of_God

Pseudo-early-modern-Europe fends off the pseudo-Ottoman-Empire while sending ships to explore pseudo-South-America. :hist101:

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Jack the Lad posted:

"The Time Traveler's Wife."

TheHunt
Dec 13, 2006

No matter where you go.....There you are.
Looking for as many non-fiction books about anything having to do with religious archaeology. Anything Indiana Jones might read. Doesn't necessarily have to be religious.

Just finished "The Sign and Seal" and need more...

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Flaggy posted:

That is the actual front cover of the game and the novel. Reading the back of it is even more hilarious.

Someone on NeoGAF made this after the announcement of the cover:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I wouldn't have been surprised if you had said that was an actual page from the book.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Ok, I'm looking for a story/stories that spend a lot of time in that sort of semi-mythical idyllic rural utopia often evoked by the concept of "Merry England", in other words, pre-industrial, lots of carefree sitting around in cosy taverns drinking ale, feasting and telling stories by the fireside, and very "English".

Furthermore, outside of this "Merry England" comfort zone, the world needs to be full of horrible/dangerous/scary poo poo, and the protagonists have to deal with it at some point or another.

Now you may be thinking "this is basically every fantasy book ever", but here's the other requirement: I'd prefer to steer clear of fantasy, or at least the cliche "wizards and orcs" fantasy. Some light fantasy/supernatural stuff is acceptable I guess.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Ok, I'm looking for a story/stories that spend a lot of time in that sort of semi-mythical idyllic rural utopia often evoked by the concept of "Merry England", in other words, pre-industrial, lots of carefree sitting around in cosy taverns drinking ale, feasting and telling stories by the fireside, and very "English".

Furthermore, outside of this "Merry England" comfort zone, the world needs to be full of horrible/dangerous/scary poo poo, and the protagonists have to deal with it at some point or another.

Now you may be thinking "this is basically every fantasy book ever", but here's the other requirement: I'd prefer to steer clear of fantasy, or at least the cliche "wizards and orcs" fantasy. Some light fantasy/supernatural stuff is acceptable I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ladies_of_Grace_Adieu_and_Other_Stories

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Some of the books by John Buchan have some of this idea, but in a more modern setting and an action genre. Both The 39 Steps and Huntingtower are set in a boring British (Huntingtower is a very Scottish novel) environment where everything is all cosy and nice, until a foreign threat (Germans, bolshevists) comes in and has to be stopped by the English/Scottish hero.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

For the first part, I'd recommend Howard Pyle's The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, but there really isn't any outside horror or darkness there, unless you count King John and/or corrupt nuns.

For the second, yeah, it's hard to find that without some supernatural elements. There's Susanna Clarke's books, as already mentioned, and you could try Neil Gaiman's Stardust (also, illustrated by Charles Vess). Susanna Clarke's stuff is set in the Napoleonic War era plus magic, so it's very nontraditional fantasy, almost closer to historic fiction. Stardust starts out set in Merrie Olde England but then the protagonist crosses over into Faerie -- it's closer in spirit to old-style fairy tales than to post-tolkien fantasy.

EricBauman posted:

Some of the books by John Buchan have some of this idea, but in a more modern setting and an action genre. Both The 39 Steps and Huntingtower are set in a boring British (Huntingtower is a very Scottish novel) environment where everything is all cosy and nice, until a foreign threat (Germans, bolshevists) comes in and has to be stopped by the English/Scottish hero.

I read these recently and had a really hard time liking them -- I realize they're the foundations of the thriller genre but the raw cheerleading for the awesomosity of World War One trench warfare got really disconcerting after a while. In that general vein, though, I'd recommend The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers. It's similar in theme and setting but a little less disturbingly rah rah the Somme was awesome.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 25, 2012

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I read these recently and had a really hard time liking them -- I realize they're the foundations of the thriller genre but the raw cheerleading for the awesomosity of World War One trench warfare got really disconcerting after a while. In that general vein, though, I'd recommend The Riddle of the Sands by Erskine Childers. It's similar in theme and setting but a little less disturbingly rah rah the Somme was awesome.

Yeah, I thought Childers was great too. Especially if you think about how his major 'chase scene' takes place in a slow rear end row boat. Thrillers have changed a lot in the last hundred years.

The World War One nationalism wasn't my major gripe with Buchan, though. My main problem is that most if his narratives depend too much on coincidence and characters being in exactly the right place in the right time.
And to be fair, he did recognise the not entirely glorious new nature of warfare in Greenmantle:

“It is a great game, and you are the man for it, no doubt. But there are others who can play it, for soldiering today asks for the average rather than the exception in human nature. It is like a big machine where the parts are standardized.”

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Where's the best place to start with Elmore Leonard?

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Junkenstein posted:

This is a great question (and "ha" at the avatar in relation). I was considering reading his Raylan books, but I heard he wrote more traditional period westerns. I'm wondering if this is true, since I've been on a Western kick the last few years.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

EricBauman posted:

The World War One nationalism wasn't my major gripe with Buchan, though. My main problem is that most if his narratives depend too much on coincidence and characters being in exactly the right place in the right time.

Yeah, that's definitely a huge problem -- his characters are monstrously silly people who succeed only through massive amounts of luck, and the author isn't even self-aware enough to realize he's writing silly people -- he thinks he's writing Heroes of the British People. It didn't bother me too much, though, because hell, spy thrillers were a brand-new genre then, so a contrived plot and contrived characters are something I can swallow because the originality is in the overall concept. And there were moments where his prose style was truly memorable, too, so his books were worth reading for that reason also.

The problem I had was just getting used to the idea of a non-ironic pro-world-war-one narrator. It's been ninety-odd years since the Somme and virtually every single thing ever written about it since, from T.S. Eliot to Tolkien, has been about what a horrible waste it was in every way, and what horrible fools the generals who led the Tommies had been. The entire history of the twentieth century can be read as the history of a mistake, and that mistake was the first world war.

So a protagonist who was literally a World War I general, constantly spouting off about how jolly good it was to charge the machine guns or whatever, and how awesome world war one was, and how silly it was to be a pacifist . . . it was just a surreal reading experience.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

If you like Tarantino, Rum Punch.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Junkenstein posted:

Cuba Libre is a good place to start. It's one of his capers, but it also shows off his historical chops. And it's a riot from beginning to end.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Joramun posted:

suggestions

EricBauman posted:

suggestions

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

suggestions

Thanks, this has given me some interesting stuff to look into :glomp:

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass
I'm looking for a book on the history of witchcraft, preferably written by a genuine historian who has done genuine research, not someones fat mum who thinks she is a Wiccan. I'm interested in the practices themselves, community responses and religious responses to said practices. Bonus points if it is available on the kindle!

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend some comedy audiobooks? I recently listened to and enjoyed Bossypants by Tina Fey and I, Partridge by Alan Partridge.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

This is not a direct answer, but I recently read "Electric Eden" - http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Eden/dp/0571237525 - which is about this exact concept, but from a music point of view. It spends quite a bit of time dealing with the concept and the historical/cultural background of the ideal.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 22, 2016

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Koburn posted:

Can anyone recommend some comedy audiobooks? I recently listened to and enjoyed Bossypants by Tina Fey and I, Partridge by Alan Partridge.

Patton Oswalt's Zombie Spaceship Wasteland was pretty good, and so was Steve Martin's memoir. I read them, but I'd imagine the audiobook isn't too different.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

barkingclam posted:

Patton Oswalt's Zombie Spaceship Wasteland was pretty good, and so was Steve Martin's memoir. I read them, but I'd imagine the audiobook isn't too different.

Two exemplary things about Patton's book; Michael Stipe himself actually reads the R.E.M. quotes in that chapter, and the hobo songs are actually performed/recorded. Wonderful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Koburn posted:

George Carlin and Lewis Black had some good ones, Stephen Colbert's "I Am America and So Can You" is also well done, and "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" narrated by Martin Freeman is excellent.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 26, 2012