Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
My apartment is 50qm and we pay 650 with Nebenkosten. 950 kalt for around 70qm sounds about right, but I wasn't looking in that range during my search (student budget woo!) so I can't say for sure. Browse around on immoscout24 and you'll get a good idea of the prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Zwille posted:

From what I hear all the cool people are from Darmstadt anyway.

Sounds about right.

Darmstadt

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

»Typisch deutsch!« schoß es mir durch den Kopf, als ich an der Bushaltestelle in den welken Fingern einer alten Frau eine blecherne »Fishermans Friend«-Dose erblickte, genutzt zur Aufbewahrung ihrer Zigaretten und folgsam beklebt mit dem ausgeschnittenen EU-Warnhinweis, wonach Rauchen die Gesundheit gefährdet.

http://www.titanic-magazin.de/fachmann/2015/juli/

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Can someone let me know if craigslist Berlin rental prices are weekly or monthly? None I've looked at so far have specified.

This one for example...

http://berlin.en.craigslist.de/apa/5090584977.html

...seems a bit too good to be true* for 350 Euro a month, but equally seems a tad expensive at 1400 Euro.

*I lived in in South Korea for five years, so anything with more than one room seems like a vast palace.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'll be in Berlin from the 16th to 19th anyone want to hang out around town? I'll pay for lunch and stuff if you want! :buddy:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

joedevola posted:

Can someone let me know if craigslist Berlin rental prices are weekly or monthly? None I've looked at so far have specified.

This one for example...

http://berlin.en.craigslist.de/apa/5090584977.html

...seems a bit too good to be true* for 350 Euro a month, but equally seems a tad expensive at 1400 Euro.

*I lived in in South Korea for five years, so anything with more than one room seems like a vast palace.

It looks too good to be true. I mean you can always arrange a viewing and go see if it's legit with your own eyes.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't think there's a lot in Neukölln that costs 1400 a month. (It's not a good frame of reference, but here in Weimar they're offering a place for that sum, and that one's a newly built smart house with integrated computer controls for everything. I kind of want it.)

But it's probably without Nebenkosten, i.e. heating, water and so on. And looking at the Mietspiegel, the price is actually on the upper end of the scale.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Or it's a scam and they want you to front the rent before they "send you the key". Maybe Google picture search the images and see if they're taken from elsewhere? Scams like that were/are somewhat popular.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Zwille posted:

Or it's a scam and they want you to front the rent before they "send you the key". Maybe Google picture search the images and see if they're taken from elsewhere? Scams like that were/are somewhat popular.

That bathroom looks exactly like one (like, photo-perfect) of one I had in WIlmersdorf.

I wouldn't go apartment-searching on Craigslist.. at least places like wg-gesucht or immoscout are fairly reputable, but rental scams still happen.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

OK, thanks for the help. I'll be in Berlin later tonight. I'm staying with my brother until I can get my own place, he can help me with the German language sites. I'm bringing about 5000€ and just wanted to get an idea of how long I could rent while looking for work.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Most landlords will want some kind of proof of your income over the long term, but if you find one that doesn't, that should hold you over for a few months. You might have to look for Zwischenmiete offers at first, then find a proper apartment once you have work.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah, I don't know about Berlin, but it was a massive pain in the rear end to find an apartment that didn't demand three months of pay slips. Good luck!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I did it, but I ended up subletting places for 6 months at a time and paying all the rent up front.

Not ideal.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

Actually given how strong the pound is against the euro right now, paying a few months rent up front might save me quite a bit of money. Thanks, Greece!

blaise rascal
May 16, 2012

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
This is a long shot, but is anyone going to the Nabada in Ulm today?

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

I live in Berlin and I just moved into a new apartment and need to get myself some Internet. I don't really want to bind myself to some provider for 24 months as I don't know if I'll stay here that long. Do you guys know any provider that offers per month subscription (I guess not) or at least 12 months only?

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

You can get monthly subscriptions with no minimum term from several providers

http://www.verivox.de/internet-vergleich/internetundtelefon/?customerType=2&prefix=030&postCode=&city=&street=&houseNumber=&speed=16000&cl=1

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Pixelslol posted:

I live in Berlin and I just moved into a new apartment and need to get myself some Internet. I don't really want to bind myself to some provider for 24 months as I don't know if I'll stay here that long. Do you guys know any provider that offers per month subscription (I guess not) or at least 12 months only?

I just saw that O2 now has a bandwidth limit. On regular DSL. :staredog: That crap needs to die.

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

Hollow Talk posted:

I just saw that O2 now has a bandwidth limit. On regular DSL. :staredog: That crap needs to die.

Yeah, as I made this I saw that o2 had the possibility to not have any binding time but they instead have a 300GB limit. Jesus gently caress that's awful.

Awesome, thanks.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Hollow Talk posted:

Yep. Though to be fair they communicated it well in advance and they way they implemented it won't affect the majority of end users. (That might change in a few years.)

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Randler posted:

Yep. Though to be fair they communicated it well in advance and they way they implemented it won't affect the majority of end users. (That might change in a few years.)

Oh, no doubt (and I am in no way affected), it's just that Hansenet/Alice used to do monthly subscriptions without minimum length and without any caps, but it figures that those terms were just a bit too consumer-friendly for Telefonica.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Hollow Talk posted:

Oh, no doubt (and I am in no way affected), it's just that Hansenet/Alice used to do monthly subscriptions without minimum length and without any caps, but it figures that those terms were just a bit too consumer-friendly for Telefonica.

If I remember correctly, standard DSL (reselling) operats at such low margins that it's basically no longer a worthwhile business to serve power users and that the DSL divisions are basically the red-headed stepchilds only kept alive by inertia and the hopes that you can use the DSL as an in for other, actually lucrative, services.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Any Germans here have experience with writing to your local MdB in order to (futiley) try to make him actually be part of the legislative process?

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

I got some freelance work in Berlin. Do I need to start making money before I get my tax number? Google hasn't given a clear answer.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

joedevola posted:

I got some freelance work in Berlin. Do I need to start making money before I get my tax number? Google hasn't given a clear answer.

VAT identification number or general tax nummer (Steuernummer)? Because you can get a VAT identification number before you actually earn money, though you have to substantiate that you're an entrepreneur. Can't say anything guaranteed about Steuernummern, because the practical aspects of meatbag taxation are outside my expertise. :v: But you should be able to get one of those as well, just call the local tax office (and possibly get referred to the correct one).

Randler fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 28, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

joedevola posted:

Get your VAT number now, yes. And your life will be so much easier if you get a Steuerberater who does all of this stuff for you in exchange for a modest fee calculated as a percentage of your monthly income.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Randler posted:

Any Germans here have experience with writing to your local MdB in order to (futiley) try to make him actually be part of the legislative process?

I don't, but I have to admit I'm really curious what you want to write him about. Maybe people could help if they knew the specifics :troll:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Smirr posted:

I don't, but I have to admit I'm really curious what you want to write him about. Maybe people could help if they knew the specifics :troll:

Entwurf eines Gesetzes zur Neuordnung des Rechts der Syndikusanwälte

Some of the proposed sections are inacceptable, because they screw over people working at audit and taxation firms. They should have just copied the relevant passages for Syndikussteuerberater. :colbert:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

That might as well be Martian. If your MdB is a lawyer, just tell him what you said to me except in German. If he's not, have his lawyer explain it to him. But it sounds like the law that will do a bad thing is all but passed already, so maybe start looking into außerparlamentarische Opposition.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Smirr posted:

But it sounds like the law that will do a bad thing is all but passed already, so maybe start looking into außerparlamentarische Opposition.

I care a lot about what I can put on my business cards, so that is probably how it will end. :black101:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Randler posted:

I care a lot about what I can put on my business cards, so that is probably how it will end. :black101:

The easiest way to get your message across is obviously by setting alight his rubbish bin, standing on top of it with a megaphone and telling him about your demands before finalising the act by providing him with a hardcopy of your concerns, delivered directly to his desk via the patented brick-through-window-delivery method.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Randler posted:

Entwurf eines Gesetzes zur Neuordnung des Rechts der Syndikusanwälte

Some of the proposed sections are inacceptable, because they screw over people working at audit and taxation firms. They should have just copied the relevant passages for Syndikussteuerberater. :colbert:

Dude, I get asked to give reports/opinions about planned legislation from the courts perspective all the time (es wird um Stellungnahme zum geplanten Gesetzesvorhaben bis zum xx.xx.xxxx gebeten (Anbei 200 Seiten Gesetzestext, Frist 2 Tage). You can write what you want, they don't give a poo poo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hollow Talk posted:

The easiest way to get your message across is obviously by setting alight his rubbish bin, standing on top of it with a megaphone and telling him about your demands before finalising the act by providing him with a hardcopy of your concerns, delivered directly to his desk via the patented brick-through-window-delivery method.
Frankly just skip all the parts where you explain your motivations. They know what they did.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I can tell you for a fact the MdB will never read it. One of the people in his office will read through it and bang out a response. It won't be an intern (I never had to/got to respond to letters from Bürger), but it also definitely won't have any effect.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I wouldn't be too sure about that last part. My sisters boyfriend interned at the office of an SPD MdB and most of what he did was exactly that.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
I'll be in Europapark, Rust on the 7th, 8th & 9th August. Anyone know of a sports bar near there that will show the Premier League on Saturday 8th? There seems to be one actually in the park, but it only says Bundesliga and F1: http://www.europapark.de/en/restaurants-catering/coca-cola-sportsbar-arena-football

Cheers...

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

cebrail posted:

I wouldn't be too sure about that last part. My sisters boyfriend interned at the office of an SPD MdB and most of what he did was exactly that.

Word? That's cool, I wish I'd had assignments as interesting as answering stuff from citizens. I worked for a CDU dude and I mostly just sent Glückwünsche.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

cebrail posted:

Luckily, I am not one to entertain correspondence with social democrats so there is limited risk of receiving intern letters.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Dunno if it was this thread or what but somebody asked about getting their passport renewed. Turns out there were a couple interesting articles in the taz recently. They put the lead piece online.

http://www.taz.de/Berliner-Buergeraemter/!5210704/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just signed a lease for an apartment in the Handschuhsheim part of Heidelberg, I'll be moving in a few weeks so I'm starting to think of getting everything set up there. What bank do most of you guys use? The only one I really know of is the Deutsche Bank.

I assume I should buy a year pass from RNV, right? Can I do that before I get there online or do they need to see my residence permit etc first? The ticket machines when I visited seemed pretty unreliable and almost impossible to read in the sun - all 3 I tried said the keypad wasn't working for cards and I usually don't carry around coins.

Any suggestions on nice bars/places to see in this part of Heidelberg (north of the river in general I guess, ideally within walking distance - I'm right by the Kappelenweg tram station) would be great too.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 31, 2015