Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any point to using iCloud if I don't have an iPhone, iPad or an iPod Touch (I have a Nano)? Also is my Apple ID the same as my iTunes account? :confused:

Personal choice. iCloud might be a nice backup.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Crackpipe posted:

- Updated my iPod Touch to iOS 5
- Listened to music on my way to work
- Signed-up for iCloud
- Went to listen to music on the way home and discovered that my iPod's entire music library had been deleted.

Thanks Apple!
It tells you it's going to do this during the update. I left it plugged in and it put all my music back afterwords. And I use only certain playlists and it picked the right ones. Really, you must have unplugged it before it was finished syncing after the update.

EDIT: vvv Or that, I haven't tried that service.

IUG fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 14, 2011

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Crackpipe posted:

- Updated my iPod Touch to iOS 5
- Listened to music on my way to work
- Signed-up for iCloud
- Went to listen to music on the way home and discovered that my iPod's entire music library had been deleted.

Thanks Apple!
You turned on "iTunes Match" in iCloud which explicitly states that it replaces your current music library.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

coldplay chiptunes posted:

You turned on "iTunes Match" in iCloud which explicitly states that it replaces your current music library.

Wait, replaces it with what? How does this work?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I need some help here, please. I just got home from the Apple store where they unsuccessfully tried to figure out what sort of hex lies on my MBA (11", mid 2011, OS X Lion 10.7.2)

I worked with the MBA at home this morning and everything was fine. Programs I used: Safari and Pages. I could type stuff, send eMails etc. Then I had to go to the library. This is where the hex stuff comes in:

1. I wake up the MBA and it connects to the library's wireless network. I click on Safari...and nothing happens. It just bounces forever and I have to force quit the application.

2. I restart the machine. This time I click on Safari first and it starts without a hitch. Then I connect to the library's wireless network. As soon as I am connected to the network, Safari stops working and I have to force quit.

3. Another restart. I open Safari, followed by Keychain, thinking it might have something to do with passwords or permissions or whatever. I can't see anything that looks out of order, so I connect to the wireless network. Safari hangs up. And Keychain hangs up too. I force quit both programs and try everything else that is on the machine. Skype, Kindle, Photo Booth etc., everything works fine. But I can't start Safari or Keychain.

4. Another restart. I checked the hard drive (again). I did the PRAM reset. Nothing helps. I can't get Safari to work while I am in the library.

5. There's an Apple store 5 minutes away though. And of course they find nothing. Safari works. The computer can connect to the store's network. I can browse, check mails, open Keychain. Everything. They say it has to do with the library's network and send me on my way.

6. I am back at the library. Safari hangs up. I can't go online. I smash something and go home.

What in the nine hells could cause Safari to stop working in the library? Sorry for the long story, but I am a little desperate as I really need to be online and work there in the next couple of days.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
So one thing I'm unclear about with iCloud is whether the Document backup can be made to act like Dropbox. I know the music / apps / versioning stuff doesn't count against the 5 GB.

So how does that 5 GB work? Is there a drive (like with MobileMe) that you just drag and drop stuff into like the Dropbox app? Because that would be sweet and I could drop Dropbox.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Uh, iTunes Match is in developer beta right now. The only way you can get it right now is by paying $99 for an iOS Developer Account. This isn't the reason.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Petey posted:

So one thing I'm unclear about with iCloud is whether the Document backup can be made to act like Dropbox. I know the music / apps / versioning stuff doesn't count against the 5 GB.

So how does that 5 GB work? Is there a drive (like with MobileMe) that you just drag and drop stuff into like the Dropbox app? Because that would be sweet and I could drop Dropbox.
Apps need to specifically support iCloud API calls. Apple never got iDisk working great during .Mac/MobileMe, so they dropped it for iCloud. When you have an app that supports iCloud and you've opted into it, your document is automatically uploaded to iCloud on save.

In other words, if your documents aren't opened in iCloud-compatable apps, then hang on to Dropbox.

swalk
Nov 20, 2004
bucka blaow
I have 10.7.2 11C26 installed. When I try to install the 10.7.2 Combo Update, it says my install doesn't meet the requirements.

What's the best way around this?

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
trying to decide how much iCloud to buy since it won't backup my iPad and iPod.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

swalk posted:

I have 10.7.2 11C26 installed. When I try to install the 10.7.2 Combo Update, it says my install doesn't meet the requirements.

Login to your Mac Developer account and download the 10.7.2 update from there. Install the Reversioner before installing 10.7.2.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Jack's Flow posted:

I need some help here, please. I just got home from the Apple store where they unsuccessfully tried to figure out what sort of hex lies on my MBA (11", mid 2011, OS X Lion 10.7.2)

I worked with the MBA at home this morning and everything was fine. Programs I used: Safari and Pages. I could type stuff, send eMails etc. Then I had to go to the library. This is where the hex stuff comes in:

1. I wake up the MBA and it connects to the library's wireless network. I click on Safari...and nothing happens. It just bounces forever and I have to force quit the application.

2. I restart the machine. This time I click on Safari first and it starts without a hitch. Then I connect to the library's wireless network. As soon as I am connected to the network, Safari stops working and I have to force quit.

3. Another restart. I open Safari, followed by Keychain, thinking it might have something to do with passwords or permissions or whatever. I can't see anything that looks out of order, so I connect to the wireless network. Safari hangs up. And Keychain hangs up too. I force quit both programs and try everything else that is on the machine. Skype, Kindle, Photo Booth etc., everything works fine. But I can't start Safari or Keychain.

4. Another restart. I checked the hard drive (again). I did the PRAM reset. Nothing helps. I can't get Safari to work while I am in the library.

5. There's an Apple store 5 minutes away though. And of course they find nothing. Safari works. The computer can connect to the store's network. I can browse, check mails, open Keychain. Everything. They say it has to do with the library's network and send me on my way.

6. I am back at the library. Safari hangs up. I can't go online. I smash something and go home.

What in the nine hells could cause Safari to stop working in the library? Sorry for the long story, but I am a little desperate as I really need to be online and work there in the next couple of days.

Open up Console.app and then try the connection and when Safari freezes, see if there is an entry in the log file. Posts any lines that might be relevant.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

swalk posted:

Go to the Mac Dev Center and get the Combo Update that includes the reversioner.

Oh I got beaten pretty badly.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

japtor posted:

Is localghost your username? Otherwise uh I have no clue, using Localghost before by any chance?

No, localghost is the hostname, that's a line from /var/log/secure.log.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I'm having trouble updating my iPhone4. I have a separate hard drive that only has Windows on it (32gb) which is where the firmware file is downloading to. The issue is that I evidently need 3.03gb to backup/update my phone, but there's only 2.7gb free on that drive, and I've already cleared out as much as I can. I tried placing the file in one of my other drives which gives me enough free space, but when I do shift-Update to manually choose the firmware to use in the update, it tries to unpacks the file then gives me an error of 3002. iTunes help says

quote:

Errors 3000-3999 (3002, 3004, 3013, 3014, 3018, 3164, 3194, and so on): Error codes in the 3000 range generally mean that iTunes cannot contact the update server (gs.apple.com) on ports 80 or 443. This may be because out-of-date or incorrectly configured security or firewall software is interfering, an old version of iTunes is installed, an entry in your hosts file redirecting requests to gs.apple.com (see error 1004 above), or because of your Internet proxy settings. If you are using a proxy, try without using one or with a known-good network. If that does not resolve the issue, follow iTunes for Windows: Troubleshooting security software issues. Error 3014 may indicate that you need to free up more disk space on the computer before trying to restore again. Error 3194 most likely indicates you do not have the latest version of iTunes installed Update to the latest version of iTunes.

I'm running the most current version of iTunes, my firewall is disabled while I'm trying this, and I've tried the other suggested fixes. It's particularly annoying because I have a separate partition for programs which has plenty of room and is where iTunes is actually installed, but it automatically downloads the firmware to my C drive. Anyone have an idea what I can try from here? Or how I can manually choose where iTunes downloads the firmware to?

swalk
Nov 20, 2004
bucka blaow

wolffenstein posted:

Login to your Mac Developer account and download the 10.7.2 update from there. Install the Reversioner before installing 10.7.2.

Thanks! Worked.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Kloaked00 posted:

I'm having trouble updating my iPhone4. I have a separate hard drive that only has Windows on it (32gb) which is where the firmware file is downloading to. The issue is that I evidently need 3.03gb to backup/update my phone, but there's only 2.7gb free on that drive, and I've already cleared out as much as I can. I tried placing the file in one of my other drives which gives me enough free space, but when I do shift-Update to manually choose the firmware to use in the update, it tries to unpacks the file then gives me an error of 3002. iTunes help says

I'm running the most current version of iTunes, my firewall is disabled while I'm trying this, and I've tried the other suggested fixes. It's particularly annoying because I have a separate partition for programs which has plenty of room and is where iTunes is actually installed, but it automatically downloads the firmware to my C drive. Anyone have an idea what I can try from here? Or how I can manually choose where iTunes downloads the firmware to?

I wsa having a similar problem upon updating my iPad and I have to comment the line in the /etc/hosts file associated with gs.apple.com.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Shin-chan posted:

I wsa having a similar problem upon updating my iPad and I have to comment the line in the /etc/hosts file associated with gs.apple.com.
This is a Mac solution to a Windows problem. Also why are we dealing with iPhone support in this thread? That poo poo belongs in Inspect Your Gadgets.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm having trouble getting an Automator folder action to do what I want. Basically, I have a screenshots folder where the output of CMD+OPT[+SHIFT]+[3/4] sent. Inside that folder, I have another folder where I move older screenshots. To automate this, I set this workflow as a folder action:

I think this means if an image file is 30 or more days old, move it to the Archive folder. The problem is, whenever I take a screenshot, it immediately archives the new file. Is there something else I have to add to get it not to do that?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

carry on then posted:

I'm having trouble getting an Automator folder action to do what I want. Basically, I have a screenshots folder where the output of CMD+OPT[+SHIFT]+[3/4] sent. Inside that folder, I have another folder where I move older screenshots. To automate this, I set this workflow as a folder action:

I think this means if an image file is 30 or more days old, move it to the Archive folder. The problem is, whenever I take a screenshot, it immediately archives the new file. Is there something else I have to add to get it not to do that?

Insert "Get Finder Items" between the two. That worked for me in a quick test.

equation groupie
Feb 7, 2004

debased and dread pilled
I'm having a problem where I can't get my Mac to upload changes to iCloud, but it will download them. iCloud and my iPhone seem to communicate just fine.

What this means is that if I change something on my iPhone or on icloud.com (whether it's a contact or a calendar event or a reminder), it will update all three places - on my Mac, on my iPhone, and on the web. However, if I change something on my Mac (in iCal or Address Book), the other devices never see it. I have pressed Cmd-Shift-R to reload all calendars many times. It's set to sync to iCloud in the preferences (which should be obvious because it can receive updates, just not make them), and I only have one calendar in preferences too - just the one that syncs with iCloud.

What could I do to fix this? It's been this way since yesterday.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Zenostein posted:

Insert "Get Finder Items" between the two. That worked for me in a quick test.

No dice with either Get Specified or Get Selected (although I think that latter one wasn't supposed to be used there.) Thanks though.

edit: Looks like "Find Finder Items" is a bit dumb. Threw in explicit rejections for anything created this week and now it works. Seems like a pretty glaring bug that has apparently existed since Automator was introduced in 10.4.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 14, 2011

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

carry on then posted:

No dice with either Get Specified or Get Selected (although I think that latter one wasn't supposed to be used there.) Thanks though.

edit: Looks like "Find Finder Items" is a bit dumb. Threw in explicit rejections for anything created this week and now it works. Seems like a pretty glaring bug that has apparently existed since Automator was introduced in 10.4.

That's weird, it worked for me:

Also, it appears that get Specified lets you select things manually, like, for example you make a bunch of websites and use automator to FTP the whole bundle of sites, including specific images or CSS or something (and are a terribly lazy author), so you can include logo.jpg in your bundle to be uploaded.

Get Selected just takes the output of process 1 and passes it on to process 3.

If you look at the results, it just passes the same photos through.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Might have to do with the differences between a straight workflow and a folder action. I could never test it inside Automator because it kept telling me to put a Get Specified action at the beginning or I wouldn't get any results.

It could also be a difference between 10.6 and 10.7. Odd.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Jack's Flow posted:

Do what vikingstrike said, but if you can't find anything interesting in the log, try installing another browser and see if that freezes as well.

Sharrow
Aug 20, 2007

So... mediocre.
So now that the 'show sidebar' lozenge has been removed from the Finder, how am I supposed to install applications if the DMG doesn't include an /Applications alias?

Open a new Finder window (menu or Cmd+N, since clicking the Dock icon does nothing), move them side by side, and drag it over that way? It's really grating on me.

("Use the app store" isn't really the answer I'm looking for :()

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Thanks guys, going back to the library tomorrow to try it again. Went to a couple of friends today and the MBA worked just fine with 4 out of 4 wireless networks. And it worked in the library too, up until the 10.7.2 update (but the Apple guy was adamant that the update couldn't have anything to do with it).

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

wolffenstein posted:

This is a Mac solution to a Windows problem. Also why are we dealing with iPhone support in this thread? That poo poo belongs in Inspect Your Gadgets.

Because my problem isn't with my phone, it's with iTunes 10.5, which is a piece of Mac Software

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kloaked00 posted:

Because my problem isn't with my phone, it's with iTunes 10.5, which is a piece of Mac Software
Go to the iPhone thread or iTunes thread. This is the completely wrong place for a Windows iTunes problem and your logic is idiotic.

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

Sharrow posted:

So now that the 'show sidebar' lozenge has been removed from the Finder, how am I supposed to install applications if the DMG doesn't include an /Applications alias?

Open a new Finder window (menu or Cmd+N, since clicking the Dock icon does nothing), move them side by side, and drag it over that way? It's really grating on me.

("Use the app store" isn't really the answer I'm looking for :()

Command-Option-S brings the sidebar back.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does it actually? Thank god. There is an option for "show sidebar" if you right click in the window, but it is greyed out whenever I actually want to use it.

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

Martytoof posted:

Does it actually? Thank god. There is an option for "show sidebar" if you right click in the window, but it is greyed out whenever I actually want to use it.
I just tested it with a dmg and apparently you can't have a sidebar without a toolbar, so cmd-opt-T will bring them both back.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ferretsrule posted:

I just tested it with a dmg and apparently you can't have a sidebar without a toolbar, so cmd-opt-T will bring them both back.

I wish there was a finder option to force the sidebar open regardless of window settings. There is absolutely zero need to hide it in this the year of our lord two thousand eleven.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

wolffenstein posted:

Apps need to specifically support iCloud API calls. Apple never got iDisk working great during .Mac/MobileMe, so they dropped it for iCloud.

To this day I use iDisk all the time and I am actually quite sad to see it go (albeit next summer). In what way was it never working well?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

carry on then posted:

Might have to do with the differences between a straight workflow and a folder action. I could never test it inside Automator because it kept telling me to put a Get Specified action at the beginning or I wouldn't get any results.

It could also be a difference between 10.6 and 10.7. Odd.
I had trouble with something similar in 10.6, I forget what my workflow was but it had to do with dates and I never got working right.

...then 10.6.8 broke folder actions completely for me (and others it seems).

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Is there any limit on how many times I can re-download my purchased music from iTunes?

I plan on using this feature instead of backing my music up and I don't want to be caught out 10 years from now by discovering that I can only download it like 5 times.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 15, 2011

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Alright, back at the library. I can use the internet with Firefox. Works like a charm. Safari still doesn't work; it works everywhere but in the library. After connecting to the wireless network and clicking on Safari, the console says this:

quote:

15.10.11 14:49:55.000 kernel: AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::checkStatus - received Status Packet, Payload 2: device was reinitialized
15.10.11 14:49:55.000 kernel: Sound assertion "0 == fAudioEngineArray" failed in AppleHDADriver at line 3047 goto Exit
15.10.11 14:50:13.000 kernel: MacAuthEvent en0 Auth result for: 00:17:0f:8f:6e:02 MAC AUTH succeeded
15.10.11 14:50:13.000 kernel: wlEvent: en0 en0 Link UP
15.10.11 14:50:13.000 kernel: AirPort: Link Up on en0
15.10.11 14:50:13.000 kernel: en0: BSSID changed to 00:17:0f:8f:6e:02
15.10.11 14:50:15.464 ntpd: bind(26) AF_INET6 fe80::ba8d:12ff:fe06:d230%4#123 flags 0x11 failed: Can't assign requested address
15.10.11 14:50:15.465 ntpd: unable to create socket on en0 (16) for fe80::ba8d:12ff:fe06:d230#123
15.10.11 14:50:16.414 configd: network configuration changed.
15.10.11 14:50:16.429 UserEventAgent: CaptiveNetworkSupport:CaptivePublishState:1211 en0 - Probe
15.10.11 14:50:16.430 UserEventAgent: CaptiveNetworkSupport:CaptiveStartDetect:2371 starting probe to determine captivity...
15.10.11 14:50:16.431 UserEventAgent: CaptiveNetworkSupport:wispr_detect_redirect_async:424 user-agent:"CaptiveNetworkSupport-173 wispr" url:"http://www.apple.com/library/test/success.html"
15.10.11 14:50:16.458 UserEventAgent: CaptiveNetworkSupport:CaptiveHandleRedirect:2264 Unknown result value: 1, assuming online
15.10.11 14:50:16.459 UserEventAgent: CaptiveNetworkSupport:CaptivePublishState:1211 en0 - Unknown
15.10.11 14:50:16.461 configd: network configuration changed.
15.10.11 14:50:17.498 applepushserviced: <APSCourier: 0x109a1d360>: Stream error occurred for <APSTCPStream: 0x7fa47bc279e0>: TLS Error Code=-9843 "peer name host mismatch"
After I shut down Safari, I did not re-connect to the network. I simply started Firefox.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Jolan posted:

I've got a wireless router/modem installed by my internet provider, and it's got a USB port on it. This seems like a great answer to my looking for a way to enable Time Machine via network. I started testing around with a random USB-stick (FAT32) and was able to simply navigate to it in Windows Explorer (on Windows 7) by inputting the local network address of the modem (the standard 192.168.0.1) and access the files thereon.

However, I can't find a way to get to the device with MacOSX (10.6 and 10.7). When I try the "go to folder"-option in Finder, it throws up that the folder cannot be found, and "connect to server" doesn't work either. Since it works on Win7, I'm guessing it's a software issue (me having some settings wrong, for instance), but I've no clue how to fix this. Anyone have an idea?

Are you just typing '192.168.0.1' into the connect to server prompt? Try 'smb://192.168.0.1/' and see what happens. It should ask for login credentials (just try connect as a guest) then mount the folder.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Has anyone else had their hot corners disabled? Mine has just randomly decided to stop working yesterday and I can't really pin any reason on it.

e: apparently it's only freaking out when I select "start screensaver" for the hotkey option; everything else works fine.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger
Not sure if this is a SABnzbd problem or OS X problem.

Whenever I start up SABnzbd, I'll get errors saying that my directory isn't correct. I only have one external drive labeled "External" and my path for SABnzbd is /Volumes/External. When I look at the drive under "Get Info", my drive shows up as "External 1".

Why does it change? I do eject the drive via Cmd+E, but that wouldn't be causing the name change to occur, would it?