Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I have a 15" mbp (pre-unibody, with the ATI X1600 and the T7600). Selected restart in lion, and it didn't start back up again. No screen backlight, capslock light won't turn on, etc I have tried the remove battery and hold down power for 5 seconds, and the cmd+option+p+r, neither of which do anything.

What can I do to get this working again?

Edit: Fixed it. Stupid external monitor mode. If you have this same problem, what you should do is to plug in an external monitor, press the power button, then immediately close the lid. When it gets to the login screen, feel free to open up your macbook/pro again, and you will be good to go.

Wild EEPROM fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone else having issues with the wifi on the 2011 13" Air? I was hopping around between hotels and airports this past week, and there were a handful of networks that my phone had no problem getting on, but my Air would report some sort of timing error. You'd think I would have memorized it for as many times as I saw it.

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone else having issues with the wifi on the 2011 13" Air? I was hopping around between hotels and airports this past week, and there were a handful of networks that my phone had no problem getting on, but my Air would report some sort of timing error. You'd think I would have memorized it for as many times as I saw it.

I haven't had any of the supposed MacBook Air problems that people seem to be plagued with. My WiFi works perfectly and it always recovers from sleep almost instantly. I guess maybe return it and get another one if it's still in the return window?

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

AbsoluteLlama posted:

I haven't had any of the supposed MacBook Air problems that people seem to be plagued with. My WiFi works perfectly and it always recovers from sleep almost instantly. I guess maybe return it and get another one if it's still in the return window?

I'm another 2011 13" MBA user who isn't experiencing any issues with wifi or sleep. Everything has been working just fine since I bought it in September.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It works fine at home, work, Starbucks, etc - it just seems like it has trouble with low signals, like there's less range than I'm used to.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

jwoven posted:

Edit: Fixed it. Stupid external monitor mode. If you have this same problem, what you should do is to plug in an external monitor, press the power button, then immediately close the lid. When it gets to the login screen, feel free to open up your macbook/pro again, and you will be good to go.

Not sure if this would solve your issue, but doing the 'detect displays' button combo (it's either cmd-brightnessup or cmd-brightnessdown, the other toggles mirroring) might help you here, too.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So I have a "Late 2008" unibody Macbook and I understand that it is capped off for 6GB of ram for whatever reason. I want to upgrade the memory (have been using 2GB and now it just isnt cutting it) and it seems just as much to get 1x2GB and 1x4GB instead of 2x4GB. Is it possible to use 2x4GB and the system just see 6GB or will this not work at all?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Pretty sure that 2x4GB specifically doesn't work as opposed to 2+4GB. Something about KPs when apps start hitting that upper limit of RAM.

WelpEcho
Sep 12, 2006
My gf's MBP is having weird issues with her mouse/trackpad. It is moving and clicking on its own and also becomes unresponsive, it alternates between the two. It's out of warranty, what's the best course of action in this case?

WelpEcho fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 21, 2011

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

ItheWelp87 posted:

My gf's MBP is having weird issues with her mouse/trackpad. It is moving and clicking on its own and also becomes unresponsive, it alternates between the two. It's out of warranty, what's the best course of action in this case?

Take it to the Apple Store, where they'll probably fix it for you for free, any way.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Pretty sure that 2x4GB specifically doesn't work as opposed to 2+4GB. Something about KPs when apps start hitting that upper limit of RAM.

I am guessing there is no major loss in performance from not having matching 2x2GB sticks if I go with 2+ 4 GB?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

I am guessing there is no major loss in performance from not having matching 2x2GB sticks if I go with 2+ 4 GB?
From tests I've seen the difference is minor at best, if any difference at all. The benefit of the extra ram available more than makes up for any possible difference.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

So I have a "Late 2008" unibody Macbook and I understand that it is capped off for 6GB of ram for whatever reason. I want to upgrade the memory (have been using 2GB and now it just isnt cutting it) and it seems just as much to get 1x2GB and 1x4GB instead of 2x4GB. Is it possible to use 2x4GB and the system just see 6GB or will this not work at all?

You can install and use 8GB.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

Soup in a Bag posted:

Yeah, I was about to say I've been using 8gb on my '08 Unibody MB for 4-5 months now with no problem. 'ello, 8gb buddy :hfive:

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

If anyone is looking to max out an older C2D MacBook (~2007) to an unofficially supported 6GB of PC2-5300, shoot me a PM. I have 2 Patriot DIMMs that I used for six days. I'll yank 'em off Amazon Marketplace and ship for free.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'll be 6-gig-ing a couple 2007 iMacs here in a few minutes...

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Soup in a Bag posted:

What. the. gently caress. I've had this firmware installed for the longest time but was never aware that I could use 8 GB........ I was only aware of the 4gb limit and "unofficial" 6gb. God drat it, I really could have used 8 GB sooner than now...

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Can anyone give me a good reason why the base model iMac 21.5" can only be upgraded to 8GB RAM while the rest to 16GB? Aren't the chipsets the same throughout, or is this Apple being special? I don't feel like spending extra just to have the "option" to upgrade to 16GB.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Butt Savage posted:

Can anyone give me a good reason why the base model iMac 21.5" can only be upgraded to 8GB RAM while the rest to 16GB? Aren't the chipsets the same throughout, or is this Apple being special? I don't feel like spending extra just to have the "option" to upgrade to 16GB.
21.5" only has 2 slots, while the 27" has 4. Apple doesn't like to officially endorse the use of 8GB SO-DIMMs.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I just think it's ridiculous that the $1,199 21.5" is advertised as only upgradable to 8 and the $1,499 21.5" up to 16. So if I want the option to go to 16 some time in the future I have to pay more just to have that ability. What I'm trying to say is, I don't understand why they would have such a limit on the cheaper model if (I'm assuming) both 21.5" models share the same chipset. Perhaps they don't, I'm an idiot, and you're trying to tell me that 16GB is possible with the cheaper model regardless of what Apple says.

Edit: Upon further investigation, Apple offers 4x4GB for the $1,499 21.5", which I guess uses the same guts as the 27" models, and the base 21.5" is the only one stuck with just two slots.

Butt Savage fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 22, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I think I'm just plain wrong. I've never really paid that much attention to the 21.5" model to he honest.

27" or bust.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
If I had the money I'd be saying the same thing, but 21.5" is my limit. :(

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
21.5" iMac has 4 RAM slots just like the 27" iMac. EveryMac has a great comparison of both models.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Butt Savage posted:

I just think it's ridiculous that the $1,199 21.5" is advertised as only upgradable to 8 and the $1,499 21.5" up to 16. So if I want the option to go to 16 some time in the future I have to pay more just to have that ability. What I'm trying to say is, I don't understand why they would have such a limit on the cheaper model if (I'm assuming) both 21.5" models share the same chipset. Perhaps they don't, I'm an idiot, and you're trying to tell me that 16GB is possible with the cheaper model regardless of what Apple says.

Edit: Upon further investigation, Apple offers 4x4GB for the $1,499 21.5", which I guess uses the same guts as the 27" models, and the base 21.5" is the only one stuck with just two slots.

Just last week I just installed an extra 8GB into my base 2011 21.5" iMac, giving me 12GB. You should be fine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I think I'm just plain wrong. I've never really paid that much attention to the 21.5" model to he honest.

It's the old 20" model that only has 2 slots.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks, guys. I guess Apple does that so people don't undercut the more expensive 21.5". Sneaky bastards.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I have a question about Battery swelling? , or something with the battery maybe causing the trackpad to not click down all the way. I'm using a late 2008 unibody macbook pro, and lately when my computer starts to heat up the trackpad stops clicking. From what I've gathered this is a battery issue. I'm recently a month out of Applecare for the laptop, and on top of that I do have a bad dent on it from dropping it 3 feet a couple months back. Has anyone else had this issue, and are the work arounds to it or this is probably a go to the apple store and see what they say kind of thing.

Edit: my condition for my battery says to replace soon so should I buy a new battery or see if Apple will replace it?

Peacebone fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 22, 2011

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Take it directly to the fruit stand and tell them you noticed it swelling occasionally under high heat. Apparently they are pretty antsy about battery fire-related stuff.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Anyone have a sleeve recommendation for the 13.3" MBA? I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Maybe a little bit of padding. Nothing too big or thick.

Goddamn I love this laptop (got it from work as a gift today).

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

What VA rating should I be looking at for a UPS for a late 2009 27" iMac? It's the 2.66 Core i5 model.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

zergstain posted:

What VA rating should I be looking at for a UPS for a late 2009 27" iMac? It's the 2.66 Core i5 model.
Well Apple lists the maximum power usage: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP576
Maximum continuous power: 241W (21.5-inch models); 365W (27-inch models)

I guess take that number and look up the power to running time charts on UPS manufacturer pages and get what you can afford. Keep in mind that's the max so as long as it can withstand that for a short time it should be fine unless you're running it full throttle continuously...also keep in mind other stuff you might have plugged in like extra drives or other peripherals. Not that those would be a huge amount but they can add up if you have a bunch.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

japtor posted:

Well Apple lists the maximum power usage: http://support.apple.com/kb/SP576
Maximum continuous power: 241W (21.5-inch models); 365W (27-inch models)

I guess take that number and look up the power to running time charts on UPS manufacturer pages and get what you can afford. Keep in mind that's the max so as long as it can withstand that for a short time it should be fine unless you're running it full throttle continuously...also keep in mind other stuff you might have plugged in like extra drives or other peripherals. Not that those would be a huge amount but they can add up if you have a bunch.

The only brand I'm familiar with is APC, but I'm open to suggestions for other good brands. 700VA is probably the minimum from what I can gather, but I thought I'd ask before I buy anything. And if I do go with APC, Back-UPS or spring for the Back-UPS Pro?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have a APC Smart-UPS 1000VA that runs my 21.5" i3 iMac and 22" LED monitor. When the power goes out it lasts like an hour.

It looks like this:

Amazon sent it on mistake, and just said to keep it, instead of paying to have it shipped back.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The Smart ones cost a bunch more don't they? I just remember something about sine vs square wave power output from them.

zergstain posted:

The only brand I'm familiar with is APC, but I'm open to suggestions for other good brands. 700VA is probably the minimum from what I can gather, but I thought I'd ask before I buy anything. And if I do go with APC, Back-UPS or spring for the Back-UPS Pro?
Is the main difference pretty much that LCD screen? I have a few older ones one like that, it's convenient for tweaking the UPS settings (like turning off the incessant beeping on power failure) since you don't need to install any software on your computer, or just seeing total load sort of like a built in Kill-a-Watt.

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

Anyone have a sleeve recommendation for the 13.3" MBA? I'm not looking for anything too fancy. Maybe a little bit of padding. Nothing too big or thick.

Goddamn I love this laptop (got it from work as a gift today).

I use one from colcasac and have been happy with it. It's a little worn out after three years in my backpack, but I liked it enough to get my sister one for xmas. It seems like her new sleeve is even a little higher quality than mine from a few years back. They cost $40 - 45.

Difference Engine
Mar 30, 2009
My little brother has a (I think) Macbook Pro and for christmas I want to set him up with everything he would need to download and watch videos on the TV in his room, which is basically just a display adapter and an external hard drive. I have never owned a Mac so I wanted to clarify a few things.

1. I am pretty sure his laptop is about a year old, and I read that the displayports started carrying audio through them in mid-2010. Should a displayport->HDMI(or minidisplayport->HDMI) and an HDMI cable be sufficient to get video and audio to the TV? If it is one of the older macs that doesn't carry audio through the displayport, what is the best way to get audio to the TV?

2. Can he use any external harddrive with his Mac, provided it is formatted? I read that Macs can only write if the harddrive is formatted FAT32, but I also read about Journaling, which can overcome the limitations of FAT32, but seems to be Mac only. If the harddrive will only be used with the Mac(not connected to any PCs), is that the best way to format it?

3. Anything else I should know about setting this up? I have two PCs that I use to download and watch stuff through my TVs, but have never done it on a Mac.

Thanks for the help.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

japtor posted:

The Smart ones cost a bunch more don't they? I just remember something about sine vs square wave power output from them.

Is the main difference pretty much that LCD screen? I have a few older ones one like that, it's convenient for tweaking the UPS settings (like turning off the incessant beeping on power failure) since you don't need to install any software on your computer, or just seeing total load sort of like a built in Kill-a-Watt.

Oh yeah, that reminds me, is the power supply on my computer going to care at all if it gets stepped sine wave input power? More importantly, will I likely notice issues?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Difference Engine posted:

My little brother has a (I think) Macbook Pro and for christmas I want to set him up with everything he would need to download and watch videos on the TV in his room, which is basically just a display adapter and an external hard drive. I have never owned a Mac so I wanted to clarify a few things.

1. I am pretty sure his laptop is about a year old, and I read that the displayports started carrying audio through them in mid-2010. Should a displayport->HDMI(or minidisplayport->HDMI) and an HDMI cable be sufficient to get video and audio to the TV? If it is one of the older macs that doesn't carry audio through the displayport, what is the best way to get audio to the TV?

2. Can he use any external harddrive with his Mac, provided it is formatted? I read that Macs can only write if the harddrive is formatted FAT32, but I also read about Journaling, which can overcome the limitations of FAT32, but seems to be Mac only. If the harddrive will only be used with the Mac(not connected to any PCs), is that the best way to format it?

3. Anything else I should know about setting this up? I have two PCs that I use to download and watch stuff through my TVs, but have never done it on a Mac.

Thanks for the help.
1. Depends on the model so who knows. If it doesn't support audio through the MDP port there are MDP+optical audio (or MDP+USB stereo audio) to HDMI adapters for $30-40ish.
2. If it's definitely only going to be connected to the Mac you want journaled HFS+ (with GPT as the partition format). If by any chance you'll/he'll be using it with a PC you should probably do ExFAT. It's not super universal like FAT32 but OS X (as of 10.6.something) and Windows (all the way back to XP with a downloadable driver) support it at least.
3. There's the software side of things but I guess that's up to him to handle. Don't forget the HDMI cable itself!

zergstain posted:

Oh yeah, that reminds me, is the power supply on my computer going to care at all if it gets stepped sine wave input power? More importantly, will I likely notice issues?
Should be ok but you never know, maybe you have a particularly sensitive PSU :iiam:. From what I can tell sine wave stuff is usually for continuous running on the UPS while for emergency power the stepped sine should be ok for most uses. You'll probably get a buzz through the speakers if that matters. I guess if there's a comparable sine one in the same range you might as well get that (assuming reviews say it's fine).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I have a APC Smart-UPS 1000VA that runs my 21.5" i3 iMac and 22" LED monitor. When the power goes out it lasts like an hour.

It looks like this:

Amazon sent it on mistake, and just said to keep it, instead of paying to have it shipped back.

Just looked under my desk - it's a 1500

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManPortable
Nov 8, 2005

Difference Engine posted:

Thanks for the help.

If you just want stereo, you can get audio on the cheap by running a regular 3.5mm cable from the headphone jack to the tv. Most tvs seem to support this for one of their hdmi ports for those using a DVI connection. Check if you would need a male-male connection or an RCA to male to actually connect to the tv.