Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's a contest of mad, this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We don't actually know that this guy is a libertarian, though he has said some stuff that libertarians like to casually lean in with before they start talking about how the Civil Rights Act is unconstitutional.

It basically all comes down to how much he recognizes that positive rights and externalities are a thing. Since, you know, its really loving hard to be a violinist in the London Philharmonic if you're constantly distracted by starvation and don't see a string instrument in person before you're twenty.

Edit: I've thought the last few pages were fine, though I think its a bit awkward since we haven't really gotten the time to get to know this guy that Allison presumably has.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 23, 2016

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think part of the awkwardness is supposed to come from Allison. The execution isn't the best but it's clear that she's feeling this situation out and she doesn't have much experience dating people who don't know what she's thinking.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
I really hope it's just the author loving with all the comments people and their irrational hatred/mistrust of this random dude.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the comments on the site for this date have been magical

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I like giant spiny girl and hope to see more of her. I also want her name.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Xinder posted:

I like giant spiny girl and hope to see more of her. I also want her name.

This and more of the genderflux people, just so I can watch Allison repeatedly screw up.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Post poste posted:

This and more of the genderflux people, just so I can watch Allison repeatedly screw up.

I can barely navigate the etiquette of esoterically-gendered people when their bodies are constant, this is a nightmare

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

I can barely navigate the etiquette of esoterically-gendered people when their bodies are constant, this is a nightmare

Use the singular "y'all" pronoun in all circumstances (including for first and third persons) and y'all be okay. They'll be so upset at your mangling of grammar that they won't notice you cleverly sidestepped using a gender.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Cat Mattress posted:

Use the singular "y'all" pronoun in all circumstances (including for first and third persons) and y'all be okay. They'll be so upset at your mangling of grammar that they won't notice you cleverly sidestepped using a gender.

Please use Yinz when speaking with genderfluid native Pittsburghers

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Cat Mattress posted:

Y'all know what y'all doin', Cat Mattress. Thank y'all kindly

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Everyone's arms must be real sore from patting Allison on the back. Well, except that one guy they kicked out, gently caress him anyway he was a jerk to everyone else too :mad:

Important takeaway from the last few pages:
- Allison doesn't think freedom is a big deal

That can't be just some throwaway romance chat.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Everyone's arms must be real sore from patting Allison on the back. Well, except that one guy they kicked out, gently caress him anyway he was a jerk to everyone else too :mad:

Important takeaway from the last few pages:
- Allison doesn't think freedom is a big deal

That can't be just some throwaway romance chat.

Wish that guy was just upset at having super(wo)man show up and say she wanted to lurk their private event. Nope, he's a perma-jerk and nobody likes him except that one person. Not like there can'take be biodynamics who resent the apex human crashing their shindig.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

Wish that guy was just upset at having super(wo)man show up and say she wanted to lurk their private event. Nope, he's a perma-jerk and nobody likes him except that one person. Not like there can'take be biodynamics who resent the apex human crashing their shindig.

I dunno. One character was trying to reassure him, another character said he was just a jerk. So far it's 50/50 on that? The fact that Brad said it was a mistake to open up with Allison speaking and the fact that he had to do damage control suggests that many others were probably also bothered but were less vocal about it. I think the author is trying to portray allison getting a mixed reaction rather than saying anyone who dislikes her is an evil scumbag or whatever.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

She said she's there to learn, I think she could learn a lot talking to that guy and finding out why he's mad. Of course that would require nuance on the part of the writer.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

I dunno. One character was trying to reassure him, another character said he was just a jerk. So far it's 50/50 on that? The fact that Brad said it was a mistake to open up with Allison speaking and the fact that he had to do damage control suggests that many others were probably also bothered but were less vocal about it. I think the author is trying to portray allison getting a mixed reaction rather than saying anyone who dislikes her is an evil scumbag or whatever.

Yes but the difference in tone is really stark ("I hear you, I understand why you're upset" vs "No really, gently caress that guy, you're totally awesome blah blah blah blah blah") plus Brad "No it's really my fault" (goddamn uncle tom biomorphs)

e: I mean, I don't disagree the author tried to do what you're saying, but trying and succeeding aren't really the same :shrug:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

JuniperCake posted:

If this was the one time this had happened, that would be okay, but basically every time Allison has been criticized in any meaningful way in the past two or more chapters someone has immediately shown up to tell her "nah actually you were totally right and also that guy was a total scumbag outside of just criticizing you/the thing that you were lecturing him for." The dudebro date rapist in the last chapter, this guy here, Furnace being a total dangerous fuckup, hell even Allison's date saying her professor was full of bullshit. This is a pattern that makes it seem like the story is constantly bending over backwards to fellate Allison's self-righteous boner.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bruceski posted:

She said she's there to learn, I think she could learn a lot talking to that guy and finding out why he's mad. Of course that would require nuance on the part of the writer.

I'm sure she's going to go talk to him. And he'll be Wrong All Along.

Can we hang out with Brad instead? I want to see him defuse things between the fixed-identities folks and the dopplegangers.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

Basically like everyone else has already said, the idea is there about Allison bothering people by being there but the next panel immediately removes any fault or responsibility from Allison. And it's not like the guy would be out of place and had to be contextualized as an rear end in a top hat. He's spent his entire life with a mutation that is visible and causes a problems for him. To have the equivalent of superman show up just to say that they are going to be walking around the convention center and that they "understand your struggle" would be aggravating to some.

That being said I firmly believe that SFP would improve if they dropped Allison for story bits like this and let other people be the focus. This is Brad's show and he'd be a much more interesting character to be with. Allison should be doing her job and getting that security service off the ground instead of schmoozing it up at her friends gathering.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I find it funny how a cheesecake comic created from commissions by a bunch of abduction fetishists has a much better point on the impact of superpowers on morality than a comic that is ostensibly about that.

What I'm saying is that SFP would be better if Thugboy made a cameo to lecture Allison on superpowered privilege.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That being said I firmly believe that SFP would improve if they dropped Allison for story bits like this and let other people be the focus. This is Brad's show and he'd be a much more interesting character to be with. Allison should be doing her job and getting that security service off the ground instead of schmoozing it up at her friends gathering.

I'd like that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
This is a good page and a good setup for actual commentary. Does the guy who looks like someone strapped metal plates to a skinless human body have a point? Does the girl whose "only problem" seem to be she's a little more green around the gills than most, have any less a reason to feel like the world treats her unfairly? Is there such a thing as being more or less disadvantaged in this situation where your body deviates from the human norm? What does that say about the small person with horns sitting between armor guy and the person in the tin can, or the black lady who seems to have a third eye? They are basically normal people with a few extra features isn't that better than being 10 ft tall with spines and orange skin?

This can actually go places and I want more of this.

Flesh Forge posted:

I'd like that.
If you erase Allison from this page nothing changes and I like that. But I feel like within a week she's going to open her mouth and moralize to the group.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

This is a good page and a good setup for actual commentary. Does the guy who looks like someone strapped metal plates to a skinless human body have a point? Does the girl whose "only problem" seem to be she's a little more green around the gills than most, have any less a reason to feel like the world treats her unfairly? Is there such a thing as being more or less disadvantaged in this situation where your body deviates from the human norm? What does that say about the small person with horns sitting between armor guy and the person in the tin can, or the black lady who seems to have a third eye? They are basically normal people with a few extra features isn't that better than being 10 ft tall with spines and orange skin?

I don't think Vanessa would be pleased that you're calling her a "guy".

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Parahexavoctal posted:

I don't think Vanessa would be pleased that you're calling her a "guy".
How quickly I forgot that first panel. Consider my privilege checked.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I agree with the notion that this scene will play out best if Allison doesn't try to solve anybody's problems for them and instead sits quietly and remains a passive observer. It's what's best for her as a person to intake these viewpoints and experiences that she can't have herself.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
And of course all of this ties in closely to her experiences with Daniel, or more accurately, Daniel's experiences with her.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It ain't easy bein' green, Vanessa. :mad:

Like, imagine having to wonder every time you start a relationship if this one is also going to be a closet Star Trek nerd. :shudder:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

paragon1 posted:

It ain't easy bein' green, Vanessa. :mad:

Like, imagine having to wonder every time you start a relationship if this one is also going to be a closet Star Trek nerd. :shudder:

I think Vanessa's objection is that at least the green lady can start relationships.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

This can actually go places and I want more of this.

The questions this raises aren't even that abstract. This whole setting translates almost perfectly to group therapy or something, with a person who's financially secure but has just been in an exploitative relationship, and a person who's homeless as a result of their mental illness. Or even just the idea of "first world problems" in general, the vast disparity between what two people would say their worst problem is.

I was starting to think "how does visiting Brad's dynamorph support group tie into this chapter" but it's actually all coming together pretty well. Feral gave Alison the quest to solve ALL the world's problems, Alison doubled down on that idea talking to Cleaver. In order to make any kind of dent, she has to prioritize, which is the point of Valkyrie I think--that she's finally focusing on one clearly identified problem and taking concrete steps to fix it. But if you've got the viewpoint that solving everything ever is possible, which I think Alison still does, then you have to see the validity in both complaints being aired here, even if one of them is worse in almost every way.

quote:

If you erase Allison from this page nothing changes and I like that. But I feel like within a week she's going to open her mouth and moralize to the group.

Maybe, but she's drawn distinctly outside the circle, which seems significant. Like she's making a point of just being there to listen.

I dunno, I'm still pretty optimistic about this comic.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh dear, I smell a faint whiff of Fat Acceptance :ohdear:

Xinder posted:

I agree with the notion that this scene will play out best if Allison doesn't try to solve anybody's problems for them and instead sits quietly and remains a passive observer. It's what's best for her as a person to intake these viewpoints and experiences that she can't have herself.

I think it would be pretty cool if she started to tell everybody her Hey We're All In This Together We Got This spiel and they told her to get hosed/please leave

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Cat Mattress posted:

I think Vanessa's objection is that at least the green lady can start relationships.

Don't pretend you wouldn't make a pass at Vanessa if she was open to it.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Flesh Forge posted:

Oh dear, I smell a faint whiff of Fat Acceptance :ohdear:

Not fat acceptance, no. This is more like a support group for people who have been seriously and permanently disfigured and are having social problems because of that. This is tied to body positivity in general, which is only tangentially related to fat acceptance: body positivity is about acknowledging the fact that your body isn't perfect, then being emotionally okay about it instead of hating yourself over it. It's about going from "I'm a fat sack of poo poo" to "I'm fat". Once you get to that point, then you're in a much better position to work towards positive solutions to your problems.

In this case, these people can't stop being biomorphic (much like a burn victim can't stop being horribly scarred), so they're probably going to be sharing their experiences and getting emotional support, which helps people normalize the situation they're in so that they can stop hating it so much. (Assuming Allison keeps her loving preachy mouth shut.)

If it were a fat acceptance metaphor, they'd have a problem that they could solve but choose not to, like if Cyclops were to walk around without his shades on and whine about how people hate him for constantly blowing up everything he looks at.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can't wait to hear how the person who seems to be stuck inside a cylinder as either a liquid or a gas copes with their situation.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

blastron posted:

If it were a fat acceptance metaphor, they'd have a problem that they could solve but choose not to, like if Cyclops were to walk around without his shades on and whine about how people hate him for constantly blowing up everything he looks at.

I don't really think that's where Mulligan is going but I wouldn't be terribly shocked if this upcoming dialogue borrows from Fat Acceptance rhetoric at least somewhat.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't really think that's where Mulligan is going but I wouldn't be terribly shocked if this upcoming dialogue borrows from Fat Acceptance rhetoric at least somewhat.

I'm guessing fat acceptance is an offshoot of other body acceptance stuff, so it'd sound similar even if he doesn't take it from that source directly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well the line that triggered me (heh) was "No body is the wrong body" which is a pretty loaded statement.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Flesh Forge posted:

Well the line that triggered me (heh) was "No body is the wrong body" which is a pretty loaded statement.

Body shaming.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
This feels like it's really riding the line between sincere portrayal of identity politics and absurdist parody.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-6/page-61-3/

Oh yeah, it definitely reads like a parody at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm sorry sentient fartcloud.

• Locked thread