Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Bitter Beard posted:

Who knows if it is true but now people are saying she didn't copyright her own game, sad, but they have or are in the process of doing it.

loving merciless in their attacks, if 4chan pulls this off it'll change everything about the narrative and just make it about the attack.

The poetry of Depression Quest itself getting hit with DMCAs is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Wow that's pretty telling. Sometimes I kinna forget that even huge "Web 2.0" sites like reddit are run by little IRC cliques.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Paladinus posted:

4channers are stupid manchildren. Who would have thought.

the entire internet is stupid manchildren I don't understand your point

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Bitter Beard posted:

Who knows if it is true but now people are saying she didn't copyright her own game, sad, but they have or are in the process of doing it.

loving merciless in their attacks, if 4chan pulls this off it'll change everything about the narrative and just make it about the attack.

copyright of what, exactly? the name? that's a trademark not copyright. The source code? That's already copyrighted when she made it, first-to-file only exists for patents I believe and there's not much to patent with depression quest. More importantly, what exactly does this nerd plan to do with his copyright claim? Is he gonna hire a bunch of lawyers to try to make a claim against something of which prior art already exists and is published? good luck.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
What's a good alternative to Kotaku and related SJW ilk? I liked Kotaku's gaming news content but always got annoyed at their SJW BS and frequent revealing of spoilers in their news headlines. I had no idea Rock, Paper, Shotgun also had SJW influences.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

nnnotime posted:

What's a good alternative to Kotaku and related SJW ilk? I liked Kotaku's gaming news content but always got annoyed at their SJW BS and frequent revealing of spoilers in their news headlines. I had no idea Rock, Paper, Shotgun also had SJW influences.

I've bad news.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
i hope all video games die

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

gently caress is registering copyright :stare:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Can any lawgoons weigh in? Because the idea that 4chan could somehow copyright a game that already exists and then be accepted in court seems pretty absurd...

E:

Brannock posted:

I've bad news.

Didn't kotaku segregate their 'SJW' content to its own section so reddit manchildren wouldn't have to suffer seeing headlines on ~females~.

I'm not convinced that some unified SJW cabal controls everything, nor that most of the terrible poo poo that goes on is SJW related at all.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 24, 2014

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
You automatically get a copyright

edit: jesus

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Can any lawgoons weigh in? Because the idea that 4chan could somehow copyright a game that already exists and then be accepted in court seems pretty absurd...

no it's idiotic bullshit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention_for_the_Protection_of_Literary_and_Artistic_Works

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

cthulhoo posted:

gently caress is registering copyright :stare:

a thing retards do in the minds to imagine they're bad rear end internet wizards

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
This right now is my favorite moment, the part where 4chan tried to copyright Depression Quest and people asked, "Can they really do that?!?!?!"

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
it's irrelevant that they legally can't since SJWs operate on feels and not logic, it's only relevant that zoe and the gang believe they could and we see some rage + meltdowns

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

jalopybrown posted:

it's irrelevant that they legally can't since SJWs operate on feels and not logic, it's only relevant that zoe and the gang believe they could and we see some rage + meltdowns

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that there's no situation too stupid for international copyright law.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

What is the context of what they're talking about in that reddit mod log?

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Don't know enough about reddit to know if that could be fake but if it isn't eeeeeeeeverybody in this story is just digging so many holes for themselves it's ridiculous

For every dumb 4chan idea they have like trying to copyright it there's some channer with a date circled on a calendar 8 months from now choosing that specific date to enact his vengeance plan, and that's why quinn and anybody on her side can't 'win' this, 4chan will just destroy you through sheer determination, stupidity and lack of anything better to do

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

madeupfred posted:

quote:

Honestly the proper way to protest this poo poo, since everyone wants to make us out to be misogynistic, I propose we simply promote feminism the right way. Brandish and slap on the /v/ and 4chan logo and wear the green and purple stripes and stand out like that, but we must fully support feminism while simultaneously expose the corruption and hypocrisy of the SJW, how it greatly contradicts what feminism is really all about.

What is feminism? The belief that women are human beings are deserve equal human rights. The right to express freely, the right to vote, the right to be equal.

What are some things you can greatly focus on? The wage is a good example. Women get paid less.

Being "misrepresented" in video games is one of the most ridiculous things any SJW could possibly cry out. Video games are graphical creations of the imagination. Any representation in a video game is fictional unless stated other wise. There is not injustice for women in the video game industry, it has all been a plot to make free money.

What else can you focus on? The women that have been in charge of video games. Amy Hennig is a good example, she is currently the head of the writing team for Uncharted.

Focus on women that have been in video games, that have done something truly amazing. By doing so you are promoting feminism and showing the SJW that there is no injustic, that any woman can rightfully be the head of a department if they work hard enough, any any character concept is purely concept and not meant to reflect reality, nor should it.

If anything /v/, when you protest at PAX, I want you to cry. I want you all to cry out your deepest and truest feelings about video games, about art, and integrity. Let your heart be spoken and let the words be heard. Express those feelings, do what you do best and loving rage.

holy poo poo this is so god drat dumb

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

Don't know enough about reddit to know if that could be fake but if it isn't eeeeeeeeverybody in this story is just digging so many holes for themselves it's ridiculous

For every dumb 4chan idea they have like trying to copyright it there's some channer with a date circled on a calendar 8 months from now choosing that specific date to enact his vengeance plan, and that's why quinn and anybody on her side can't 'win' this, 4chan will just destroy you through sheer determination, stupidity and lack of anything better to do

TFYC already said someone guessed their password so it obviously wasnt shut down from inside indiegogo. Regardless, you'd have to be really REALLY loving stupid already to think indiegogo takes down pages by posting YOU ARE AN IDIOT youtubes.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

that's why quinn and anybody on her side can't 'win' this, 4chan will just destroy you through sheer determination, stupidity and lack of anything better to do

They have a lot of that too, though.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
whoever wins we also win because we get to laugh at both sides

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Falsum posted:

They have a lot of that too, though.

they're already winning by having the mainstream games media not report on any of this nonsense (which is the correct course of action) 4chan (and you guys) seem to have a hugely inflated sense of how important 4chan actually is to anything outside of 4chan. All this is really doing is providing yet another example of how unimaginably stupid gamer dudes are to people who waste time following this joke of an industry

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder why it isn't dirty tabloid bullshit for one single person to announce to the planet that max temkin allegedly raped a woman in college a decade ago, but it's dirty tabloid bullshit to expose that zoe quinn (by her own admission) repeatedly violated her boyfriend's consent and had unprotected sex with multiple people in a short time period (and chances are good they would not have consented to unprotected sex had they known the facts of what's going on)

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

nnnotime posted:

You could try http://www.gamerheadlines.com/ I didn't really know about them until all of this went down, but they seem alright I guess.

I usually use the games forum, metacritic and sometimes the user reviews in Steam.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Brannock posted:

I wonder why it isn't dirty tabloid bullshit for one single person to announce to the planet that max temkin allegedly raped a woman in college a decade ago, but it's dirty tabloid bullshit to expose that zoe quinn (by her own admission) repeatedly violated her boyfriend's consent and had unprotected sex with multiple people in a short time period (and chances are good they would not have consented to unprotected sex had they known the facts of what's going on)

last i heard the media WASNT reporting on dumb idiots on tumblr harassing temkin just like they're not reporting on dumb 4chan idiots harassing zoe. It's almost like internet trolls aren't newsworthy?????

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

rainy day posted:

they're already winning by having the mainstream games media not report on any of this nonsense (which is the correct course of action) 4chan (and you guys) seem to have a hugely inflated sense of how important 4chan actually is to anything outside of 4chan. All this is really doing is providing yet another example of how unimaginably stupid gamer dudes are to people who waste time following this joke of an industry

we've all known that gamer dudes are disgusting manbabies with horrible opinions and inflated self importance so i guess the revelation here is that gamer womens are disgusting womanbabies with horrible opinions and inflated self importance too

~equality~

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brannock posted:

She was depressed. This makes it fine.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
I owe whoever made that image a beer.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

rainy day posted:

last i heard the media WASNT reporting on dumb idiots on tumblr harassing temkin just like they're not reporting on dumb 4chan idiots harassing zoe. It's almost like internet trolls aren't newsworthy?????

http://jezebel.com/cards-against-humanity-creator-faces-sexual-assault-acc-1604695328
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/29/the-case-against-cards-against-humanity-is-max-temkin-a-horrible-person.html
http://www.gameskinny.com/8t88s/cah-founder-accused-of-sexual-assault

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Yeah seriously, you don't want to "internet fight" against a forum where its moronic members will download LOIC and start DDoSing away from their own machines.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

we've all known that gamer dudes are disgusting manbabies with horrible opinions and inflated self importance so i guess the revelation here is that gamer womens are disgusting womanbabies with horrible opinions and inflated self importance too

~equality~

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

snort

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

I don't like Jezebel either but it's got a wide readership.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
Never forget that gawker did a follow up piece a month later because they were worried that people may have forgotten.

Literally. Check out the title.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Temkin responded publicly to allegations of sexual assault. Zoe Quinn was accused of infidelity and has faced a huge amount of harassment. If you think these are at all the same thing you're incredibly loving dumb.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

rainy day posted:

It's almost like internet trolls aren't newsworthy?????

If only this were true, then Zoe Quinn wouldn't have a career.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

rainy day posted:

Temkin responded publicly to allegations of sexual assault. Zoe Quinn was accused of infidelity and has faced a huge amount of harassment. If you think these are at all the same thing you're incredibly loving dumb.

The infidelity is confirmed both by her own admission and by the admissions of people in charge of those dudes she hosed. Additionally Quinn and her boyfriend both agreed upon their boundaries and specifically what actions would be considered violating sexual consent -- otherwise known as rape. Which Quinn did. Repeatedly. Which, you're indeed correct, is not at all the same thing as an anonymous accusation of rape that Temkin denied.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
the irony is that if misogynist idiots weren't flinging their poo poo everywhere news outlets would probably be more willing to report on whatever newsworthy elements are actually here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
zoe quinn is a rapist

• Locked thread