Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Crazy Ferret posted:

I like this myself. It makes Snapjaw and Wrong Eye still difficult but not impossible to deal with and does not kick Minions in the teeth as well.

It really does just get abused with other factions mostly.

It also doesn't poo poo on calandra like any real nerf to star crossed would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Khisanth Magus posted:

It also doesn't poo poo on calandra like any real nerf to star crossed would.

Did you intentionally change star crossed to also be signs and portents? Because that's what you wrote and holy poo poo that would be insane.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

CaptCommy posted:

Did you intentionally change star crossed to also be signs and portents? Because that's what you wrote and holy poo poo that would be insane.

My brain is half asleep and I got the two confused.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Dear PP: Please give Cryx Signs and Portents.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
The problem with a friendly faction change is that a LOT of people bought those models to play in their non-minions factions, and PP is probably sensitive to that. I assume Nate's fix will get applied, or something else that makes wrong eye more killable.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Change Submerge to an animus that grants Dugout. Same feel to it but this way you can actually scalpel out Wrong Eye.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

PaintVagrant posted:

The problem with a friendly faction change is that a LOT of people bought those models to play in their non-minions factions, and PP is probably sensitive to that. I assume Nate's fix will get applied, or something else that makes wrong eye more killable.

I think they saw decent use before Wrong Eye got Star Crossed. I know I loved them in Skorne as an extra heavy that did not tax my fury and Submerge was great for getting them up the field. That said, I do imagine a sizable amount of people have picked them up recently for the Star Crossed and losing that would be unfair. I just don't know how you could make Wrong Eye more killable as is. His stats are nothing to brag about and he's already got a giant target on him due to Snapjaw leaving with him. Submerge is the only thing keeping him in the game really, more so if you tinker with Star Crossed.

Its a tricky one.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

rkajdi posted:

Quick question for anyone out there who plays Skorne: Is there really all that much point to using Venator Reivers instead of Farrow Brigands? Outside of Black Spot and Hexy 1's feat skorne doesn't really have any shooting buffs, and a RNG 10 POW 12 with Prey, Dig in, a servicable melee attack, and Hog Wild seems way better to me than a RNG 12 POW 10 with a slight damage buff and a snipe mini feat. I've been thinking about if I should be taking the time to paint my Reivers for a fatman list, or buy Brigands + CA and do them up instead. The latter also helps out my poor as gently caress Pressganger, since he'd have access to Brigands for his Minions on a somewhat regular basis.

I mean the reiver UA does give 3"reposition as well. That matters when shooting things.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

PaintVagrant posted:

They are still a good pair even with it being friendly faction, they are just not auto include with every faction that can take them.

And I don't have much sympathy for people gobbling up fotm OP models when we know that balance errata are going to be happening.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Khisanth Magus posted:

And I don't have much sympathy for people gobbling up fotm OP models when we know that balance errata are going to be happening.

Yeah basically this.

I for one am eagerly awaiting my satyr/wolf rider/bombardier/high shield buffs across my factions ;D

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

Cumulative points increase per model past first. So second bird is 9, third is 10, etc. doesn't invalidate any purchases.

That would be a pretty amazing fix. Diminishing returns for spamming stuff is a neat idea.

by.a.teammate posted:

How bad is it to not use your total points? I'm finding it hard to use all 50 points and also include the things i want, here's my list.

Aside from what's already been said, there is a maximum number of points you can play down. I forget what it is in MKIII though.

It wasn't always that way in MKI. My brother won a tournament in MKI while playing down a whole bunch. It was a 750 pt tournament and I think he played about 150-ish pts down. Someone argued that he was VP sniping but his army had total VPs on the higher end of the range in the tournament and he won all his games by caster kill anyway. This is more a comment about MKI Cryx than anything. I just find it funny.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

waah posted:

I mean the reiver UA does give 3"reposition as well. That matters when shooting things.

So does the brigand CA. They don't get to use it as much, but it is there. I guess the venators also are channeling targets, and get a free body for that in the standard, but the brigand get an extra shot from their CA. I do see using both, buy brigand would be the first unit in a gunline list IMO. Not sure that Skorne really do gunline all that well though. I did like the new skew lists being brought up in their sub forum. What people have traditionally taken isn't working, so go with something different to try to win. It's the same order that I see with cryx. The great man players abandoned the faction, and everyone else is mostly sitting around feeling sorry for themselves.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

GoodBee posted:

Aside from what's already been said, there is a maximum number of points you can play down. I forget what it is in MKIII though.

It wasn't always that way in MKI. My brother won a tournament in MKI while playing down a whole bunch. It was a 750 pt tournament and I think he played about 150-ish pts down. Someone argued that he was VP sniping but his army had total VPs on the higher end of the range in the tournament and he won all his games by caster kill anyway. This is more a comment about MKI Cryx than anything. I just find it funny.
5 points.

And I heard early Mk1 stories of people playing Butcher lists that were...the Butcher. Killing one thing and then camping.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Wizard Styles posted:

And I heard early Mk1 stories of people playing Butcher lists that were...the Butcher. Killing one thing and then camping.

That sounds familiar. I don't remember seeing it in action.

I love really dumb stories about old editions of games. Dumb stuff about current editions just make me sad.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Mid-era MK1 tournaments were especially well known for Vlad2 lists that would pop feat, kill a bunch of points with god-powered Widowmakers, and then turtle the rest of the game.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

rkajdi posted:

So does the brigand CA. They don't get to use it as much, but it is there. I guess the venators also are channeling targets, and get a free body for that in the standard, but the brigand get an extra shot from their CA. I do see using both, buy brigand would be the first unit in a gunline list IMO. Not sure that Skorne really do gunline all that well though. I did like the new skew lists being brought up in their sub forum. What people have traditionally taken isn't working, so go with something different to try to win. It's the same order that I see with cryx. The great man players abandoned the faction, and everyone else is mostly sitting around feeling sorry for themselves.

This is all true. My advice to any Skorne player or potential Skorne player would be to get Despoiler while he is cheap. He already is undervalued and is an amazing model that can help pull off some crazy arm swings due to dark shroud. Some people hate how the model looks but you know these things happen.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I want a skorne man to try this list

Makeda1
-Mammoth
-Scarab pack
-Scarab pack
-Titan Gladiator
Orin midwinter
Extoller
Beast handlers (min)
Beast handlers (max)
Efaarit scouts
Efaarit scouts

Because gently caress yeah a mammoth with 9 shield guards, a but load of healers, and a dude who can arcane vortex poo poo. Aaand a 13 inch threat on the mammoth!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Why efarits? I don't own those or know anyone that does.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jimmy Hats posted:

Yeah basically this.

I for one am eagerly awaiting my satyr/wolf rider/bombardier/high shield buffs across my factions ;D

How would you buff high shields? I'd just give them back Jack martial, and +1 pow

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

waah posted:

This is all true. My advice to any Skorne player or potential Skorne player would be to get Despoiler while he is cheap. He already is undervalued and is an amazing model that can help pull off some crazy arm swings due to dark shroud. Some people hate how the model looks but you know these things happen.

Er, where do you find him for cheap? He doesn't seems to be discounted anywhere?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Sorry, last I checked about a week ago he was really cheap on Amazon. He had been there forever so I just assumed he'd still be there.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

chutche2 posted:

Why efarits? I don't own those or know anyone that does.

They are cool and have good rat with a long rear end threat and would pop an alten off the table no prob, while still being useful for pinging damage into beasts/jacks. I think they'd be fun!

!Klams posted:

How would you buff high shields? I'd just give them back Jack martial, and +1 pow

Roll the ua's abilities into the base unit so you could slap valchev/murdoch/etc. on them and still get guns blazing/double time.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
Getting a model for a friend as an Xmas gift and his request was "Anything Menoth or Skorne" He doesn't have either faction and I figure this will be his starting point. I'm thinking picking mostly based on what I feel like painting but also don't want to get him models that aren't really playable right now. So my question is, are any of the following models just total garbage right now? I know Skorne is a giant question mark with revisions coming.

Skorne
-Aradus Sentinel
-Aradus Soldier
-Rhinodon

Menoth
-Sanctifier
-Dervish
-Redeemer

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Sounds like part of your gift is painting the models too. If that's the case, I'd think about making a small battlegroup with a caster and a couple of jacks/beasts that work well with them. Maybe make it a 0 pt list? A painted battlegroup is a pretty sweet gift and playable immediately.

So as a follow up, are there any casters from either faction that catch your eye? Are there any jacks/beasts you really don't want to paint?

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Spigs posted:

Getting a model for a friend as an Xmas gift and his request was "Anything Menoth or Skorne" He doesn't have either faction and I figure this will be his starting point. I'm thinking picking mostly based on what I feel like painting but also don't want to get him models that aren't really playable right now. So my question is, are any of the following models just total garbage right now? I know Skorne is a giant question mark with revisions coming.

Skorne
-Aradus Sentinel
-Aradus Soldier
-Rhinodon

Menoth
-Sanctifier
-Dervish
-Redeemer

Take with a grain of salt as I am no means the best Skorne player. Of course the revisions may change everything anyway!

Skorne wise:
-Aradus Sentinel - Good stuff here. Solid range attack with a decent melee backup. The animus is ok but its abilities are the real winner. Carapace and Steady are great defensive tech, and Advance Deploy is always a fun advantage. Poison and Arcing Fire on his gun are great but the three inch AOE is a bit lackluster in MK3 terms. I think the Titan Canonneer edges it out a bit these days but the Sentinel is a good beast to have and you can easily make a case for it.

-Aradus Soldier - The Soldier is ok if a bit expensive point wise. I find it a bit harder to recommend but its got plenty of good qualities. Carapace and Steady as well as Advance Deploy and Pathfinder are all good, but you will certainly notice that speed of 3 since its a melee focused beast. The weapons hit hard, and the pull effect on its two claws is handy, but MAT 6 feels a bit underwhelming. The animus is more cute than anything, though remove from play can be a game changer when you need it. If the warcaster has a speed buff, the Soldier will be great, otherwise it tends to get overlooked by some of the other titans.

I see a lot of people magnetize the Aradus kit as both the Soldier and Sentinel have a place in the game.

-Rhinodon - Right now, its pretty bad and unplayable. The animus is good but you can find it in a much better and cheaper beast, the Razor Worm. Everything about it is kinda sad to be honest, especially considering you can pay two more points for a Gladiator. Avoid till after the Errata.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Spigs posted:

So my question is, are any of the following models just total garbage right now?
Menoth
-Sanctifier
-Dervish
-Redeemer

Redeemer's one of the best jacks in Menoth, Dervish is criminally undercosted and really good with Amon.

Sanctifier is one of our worst heavies, but that's mostly because it's niche rather than bad and it's outcompeted, not garbage.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

Crazy Ferret posted:

Take with a grain of salt as I am no means the best Skorne player. Of course the revisions may change everything anyway!

Skorne wise:
-Aradus Sentinel - Good stuff here. Solid range attack with a decent melee backup. The animus is ok but its abilities are the real winner. Carapace and Steady are great defensive tech, and Advance Deploy is always a fun advantage. Poison and Arcing Fire on his gun are great but the three inch AOE is a bit lackluster in MK3 terms. I think the Titan Canonneer edges it out a bit these days but the Sentinel is a good beast to have and you can easily make a case for it.

-Aradus Soldier - The Soldier is ok if a bit expensive point wise. I find it a bit harder to recommend but its got plenty of good qualities. Carapace and Steady as well as Advance Deploy and Pathfinder are all good, but you will certainly notice that speed of 3 since its a melee focused beast. The weapons hit hard, and the pull effect on its two claws is handy, but MAT 6 feels a bit underwhelming. The animus is more cute than anything, though remove from play can be a game changer when you need it. If the warcaster has a speed buff, the Soldier will be great, otherwise it tends to get overlooked by some of the other titans.

I see a lot of people magnetize the Aradus kit as both the Soldier and Sentinel have a place in the game.

-Rhinodon - Right now, its pretty bad and unplayable. The animus is good but you can find it in a much better and cheaper beast, the Razor Worm. Everything about it is kinda sad to be honest, especially considering you can pay two more points for a Gladiator. Avoid till after the Errata.

I am gonna disagree about the sentinel because it's really just not made for Mk3. I don't know anyone who has ever used it's animus. With that said, the sentinel has to be on the list to get better so there's that.

The soldier is really really good, but he's a lot more delicate than you would think simply because most armies don't have a problem getting a good amount of damage on an Arm 19 model. If you protect him (advance deployment always gets him killed for me), he will murder all sorts of stuff. Pull is so awesome, and he hits like a truck. Also as of right now, he's def 11 so he's harder to hit than titans. Yay! The soldier is straight up legit.

Rhinodon is terrible. Still wouldn't bet on it getting better. At least the model is cool.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

xiw posted:

Redeemer's one of the best jacks in Menoth, Dervish is criminally undercosted and really good with Amon.

Sanctifier is one of our worst heavies, but that's mostly because it's niche rather than bad and it's outcompeted, not garbage.

Oh yeah - Redeemer's a single-model plastic kit that goes together easily, Dervish is a metal nightmare requiring heavy pinning,, and Sanctifier's a plastic multi-box with the Reckoner and Castigator. So if you're getting someone a Sanctifier kit then consider magnetising it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So I got IKRPG Skorne Empire, and apparently Animantaraxes have 48 boxes. In comparison, a titan has 31 and a mammoth has 54.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jimmy Hats posted:

Roll the ua's abilities into the base unit so you could slap valchev/murdoch/etc. on them and still get guns blazing/double time.

Yeah, see I play rhulic though, so without some kind of amazing ua update to go with that, that would just be a huge kick in the dick. Maybe the ua could give +1 pow and Jack Marshall though.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
Thanks everyone, sounds like stay away from Rhinodon but everything else is at least playable. Good to know.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Spigs posted:

Thanks everyone, sounds like stay away from Rhinodon but everything else is at least playable. Good to know.

Also stay away from the archidon, cyclops savages, cyclops raiders, hexeris1, hexeris2, morghoul2, makeda1, xerxis2, nihilators, praetorian swordsmen, praetorian keltarii, cataphract incindiarii, cataphract arcuarii, immortals, and aptimus marketh.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

chutche2 posted:

Also stay away from the archidon, cyclops savages, cyclops raiders, hexeris1, hexeris2, morghoul2, makeda1, xerxis2, nihilators, praetorian swordsmen, praetorian keltarii, cataphract incindiarii, cataphract arcuarii, immortals, and aptimus marketh.

I tabled a skorne player aside from caster and a unit of cetrati that I could not crack.

I now reread what you said and see you left cetrati out.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

chutche2 posted:

Awww Hexy 2 doesn't deserve to be on that list.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
My meta is so skorne heavy that I sometimes get 3 games against them in a day. I still have no idea what they do aside from die to incidental damage and that mammoth can punch really hard sometimes.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

chutche2 posted:

The sad thing is how many of those models were pretty great in MK2. The Raider, Hexy2, Makeda1, Xerxis2, nihilators, incindiarii, and marketh were all models that were really good. Then all of those models were collateral damage to changes obviously meant for other models.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

lokipunk posted:

I tabled a skorne player aside from caster and a unit of cetrati that I could not crack.

I now reread what you said and see you left cetrati out.

Cetrati are Skorne Good. Skorne Good is above-average everywhere else.

waah posted:

Awww Hexy 2 doesn't deserve to be on that list.

Hexy2 himself is fine, he just doesn't do anything that is really needed. I mean, ashes to ashes for example. Just take orin midwinter and you get most of what ashes does.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when

chutche2 posted:

Cetrati are Skorne Good. Skorne Good is above-average everywhere else.

Hexy2 himself is fine, he just doesn't do anything that is really needed. I mean, ashes to ashes for example. Just take orin midwinter and you get most of what ashes does.

I get what you are saying, but I guess I am just a Hexy2 apologist. 90% of the other models on your list I think are not worth buying if you are starting off. And 60% of the models I haven't even tried to add to any of my lists. But where as X2 has major showstopping problems, Hexy2 just suffers from not being geared towards the current Mk3 "internet" meta. Field Marshall Channeler is still a really good thing to have.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I bought a Rhinodon cheap. I figured he's the worst heavy in the game, he couldn't get any worse in mk3. :suicide:

(He got nerfed in mk3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

I bought Alten Ashley cheap because noone else wanted him from a mk1 army selloff. Welp.