Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Ew. I'll take the robo-dogs and murder kitties though. Any word on swarms of rats?

I did collect all the hired guns first go around of Necromunda so I'll probably end up with gross bat baby eventually. Maybe not if I decide I want to collect all the gangs this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I want... all the pets. Let me run a zoo list, all animals all the time.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I want... all the pets. Let me run a zoo list, all animals all the time.

Drug kingpin Pablo Escobar imported hippos as pets. After his execution, the hippos broke free and got into the Columbian waterways. They thrived there and now Columbia has a growing and extremely dangerous population of hippos.

GW really needs to steal that backstory for an all-animal gang

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Does anyone know why items in the trading post have asterisks next to them in gw3

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

muggins posted:

Does anyone know why items in the trading post have asterisks next to them in gw3
They typically mark unwieldy weapons. Heavy weapons, two-handed melee weapons like the renderizer, etc.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really like this Spike magazine format as opposed to what they were doing before.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Thinking about getting back into Necromunda after 15 something years.

If I pick up the boxed game, do people actually play with the tile system, or would I get laughed out of the room?

I want to build a Necro table, but I’m also interested in the Zone Mortalis style.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I really like this Spike magazine format as opposed to what they were doing before.

Aww poo poo, it's out? I was just at the store today, drat it.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Yeast posted:

Thinking about getting back into Necromunda after 15 something years.

If I pick up the boxed game, do people actually play with the tile system, or would I get laughed out of the room?

I want to build a Necro table, but I’m also interested in the Zone Mortalis style.

I ran all my demos with tiles, they're fun.

Besides, going 2D -> 3D is like two additional pages of rules.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The tile game is good. My group plays 2D and 3D depending on scenario and preference, if we’re playing at a pub or something then we’ll usually play 2D unless the tables are big. 3D tends to be at people’s homes.

As long-time Necro players it is really cool for us to have such variety in scenario type and setting. It definitely shouldn’t be an either/or thing.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
With my new gaming shed basically done now (just need to add a table) I'm cracking out Necromunda to paint and assemble the stuff (the terrain will get used for 40k/Kill Team as well).

I'd like to put together a few gangers to do small skirmishes.

Looking at the sprues I could reliably do 5 Eschers with lasgun/autogun/shotgun for each sprue, but only one goliath with autopistol/handweapon.

What're good builds for doing about 5 model a side games?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Regarding the tile version of NM, you can use standard 3D gang builds, right?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

berzerkmonkey posted:

Regarding the tile version of NM, you can use standard 3D gang builds, right?

Yes. Some weapons and skills are better or worse in each setting, which can be a good thing for your meta if you use both systems.

Thundercloud posted:

With my new gaming shed basically done now (just need to add a table) I'm cracking out Necromunda to paint and assemble the stuff (the terrain will get used for 40k/Kill Team as well).

I'd like to put together a few gangers to do small skirmishes.

Looking at the sprues I could reliably do 5 Eschers with lasgun/autogun/shotgun for each sprue, but only one goliath with autopistol/handweapon.

What're good builds for doing about 5 model a side games?

For Escher I’d make a lasgun and an autogun, a leader with boltgun and power sword, one champion with plasma pistol and sword, and 1 or 2 juves with pistols and knives.

For Goliath I’d build one fewer model (they are more expensive points wise) and go for mostly CC builds, so one of the big 2 handers, pistols and axes, and a leader with grenade launcher and a close combat weapon.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Just finished a local Blood Bowl mini tournament and though I didn't win, I am bloody happy at how I did. I played the standard Orcs list (4 Black orcs, 4 Blitzers etc).

Drew my first game against Dwarves. I received the kick but spent my drive trying to batter through his line. Game ended due to tourney time limit with no scores.

My second game was against the tourney winner and his Chaos team. I somehow pushed this to a draw with no Orcs dying (his minotaur thankfully kept failing his beast rolls). Very bashy match, a lucky long bomb kept me from loosing.

The final game was against humans. I deployed totally arseways and got into a bad mosh. He consistently was able to support his tackles or support against mine, managed to steal the ball and get a touchdown. Tourney time-limit stopped me from getting the equaliser.

Overall brilliant fun and surprised how well I did in my first tournament (thought I'd be wiped out). Still struggling against faster, less bashy teams and could do with some tips.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Orlocks got a quiet little boost in GW3, 5 creds off shotguns and combat shotguns. The expanded weapon list is great too, painting up a bolter champion now.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm thinking of doing a Forge World order and was going to get an Escher weapon pack to pad my order up to free shipping levels.

Which one would be best to go for?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh snap, I missed that forge world did a new squat sculpt. Was that classic to necromunda, I guess?

One can only hope it makes GW consider squats for 40k but who am I kidding

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Floppychop posted:

I'm thinking of doing a Forge World order and was going to get an Escher weapon pack to pad my order up to free shipping levels.

From memory there’s one with more Melta/Plasma/Flamer in it and fewer H. Stubber and other heavy options. I’d go for that one as I think the metagame makes heavy (eg. Unwieldy) ranged weapons quite weak.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Floppychop posted:

I've been looking through them more closely because I had the same question, and it kinda looks like the biggest difference between the three is what you want to arm your leader with. Because of her jacket, she gets a few specific weapon loadouts per kit.

Set 1: needle pistol, chainsword and flamer
Set 2: needle rifle with 2 aiming heads, a plasma gun, meltagun and heavy stubber
Set 3: stub gun, chainsword, meltagun, chem-thrower and flamer

I'm probably going to grab set 3 because I want to try out a meltagun on my leader and it comes with a bunch of plasma pistols so I can live dangerously.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I want to apologize to everyone, my roommate found out I was looking to get rid of the Necromunda stuff so he looked into the game and now he wants to set up a small group, so... look forward to posts this summer asking :shobon: questions.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Always good to have new folk interested. It’s a great time to get into Necro with now 2/3rds of the ‘base content’ for the new game having been released, some more still to come over the rest of this year and hopefully some cool expansion stuff to follow.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

Chakan posted:

I want to apologize to everyone, my roommate found out I was looking to get rid of the Necromunda stuff so he looked into the game and now he wants to set up a small group, so... look forward to posts this summer asking :shobon: questions.

A net win! Ask away.

I just spent the past few days co-running the Necroslam Spa Weekend, an impromptu mini-campaign with seven gangs. This game is a blast.

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

If I don't play Orlocks is gw2 still worth it or should I skip it and get gw3 instead ?

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Pand posted:

If I don't play Orlocks is gw2 still worth it or should I skip it and get gw3 instead ?

Definitely skip. GW3 is so, so much better by comparison.

The only thing worth looking at for non-Orlock players is the three Hangers-On and the new tiles (if you have them). All of those can be copied by hand super easily as needed.

Hell, even for Orlock players there's not much. Even their weapon list is in GW3 now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pand posted:

I would get GW3 and the combined rule book from reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/necromunda/comments/7er2y8/necromunda_underhive_rules_transcript_en/

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Merton Blask posted:

A net win! Ask away.

I just spent the past few days co-running the Necroslam Spa Weekend, an impromptu mini-campaign with seven gangs. This game is a blast.
You gonna post your photos from the weekend?

I got totally reamed over the weekend, sliding into a slow death spiral after blatantly refusing to leave any engagements no matter how strategic it would have been (I'm here to play, not run away!). In particular after SRM's Goliaths steamrolled me I rolled a 66 for my Leader's recovery (dead), then a 66 for a Champion's recovery (dead), and then two 1's for working the turf. But it was an awesome weekend with tons of memorable moments, especially in my final game with Merton Blask.

Here's the ladies:

Champion She-Racha, Leader Matriarch "The Scorpion" Scoville (died and was reincarnated as Scorpion Jr.), Champion Buff Chick (died and was reincarnated as Snuff Chick), Juve Barbie Q.

Gangers Galapeño, Taco Belle, Jerk, Stanky Spice.

New gangers for recruitment (gained the names Bonnie Scotch, Belle Pepper, and "Chip" Oakley):

Old painted Catachan, now gang recruitment fodder:

And here's the first table, ready for action.

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 8, 2018

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

Thanks.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Read through Gang War 3. Looks good. Frustrating how it’s taken them this long to release comprehensive rules for a trading post, it really makes GW2 look poo poo and a waste of money.

Also very excited for the Venator gangs in white dwarf. Seems to give amazing opportunity to make fluffy elite gangs, not just Bounty Hunters. For example I’ve wanted to make an Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor and retinue for the longest time and it’s easily possible with these rules. Or Ad-Mech, Guard Veterans..... huge scope for unusual gangs.

Also in the absence of Spyrer rules, these would do the job.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So I've skimmed Van Saar.
Nasty stats, but pretty expensive, especially if you want the signature rad cannon.
Can't see plugging in more than 8 dudes to start with if you want anything good.
I'm loathe to suggest plasma weapons or melta-combis, due to scarce and "click!".
But the laser shotgun is ungodly - all the abilities of a shotgun, but with plentiful to boot. You only get two in the box apparently though.

Box weapons:
10 lasguns
4 plasma pistols
4 laspistols
2 laser suppressors (shotguns)
2 melta-las combi weapons
I think 2-4 of the las-carbines
2 plasma guns
2 rad cannons/guns
close combat weapons (a couple shock staves and some other bits).

That's a good amount of expensive poo poo.
Starting with 8 dudes rather than full 10 seems like the only way to free up the credits.
If you start with:

Leader 130

Champion 110
Champion 110

Juve 35

Ganger 65
Ganger 65
Ganger 65
Ganger 65

That's 645.
That leaves 355 credits to play with.

Rad cannon is 130, leaving 225 for guns.
Give all gangers lasguns, that's 40 credits, so that's 185
Juve gets a laspistol and shock stave for 10 total, that's 175 between your other champion and your leader.
With only two laser shotguns in the box (and laser shotguns are nasty) I'd give one to the champ, and one to the leader, leaving 95 creds to play with.

Now, the suggestion about a shooting skill, plus plasma gun sounds fun, so maybe give the laser shotgun to a ganger instead of the champion, and give the champ the plasma gun - that's +10 for the swap of the lasgun, and -100 for the plasmagun, leaving you with 5 credits? Seems like a bad idea, but give the champ a laspistol because "click".

Or don't do this, and instead use the 95 creds and give the leader and two champions 4+ saves with mesh+bodyglove for 45 creds total. That leaves 50, which is the price of a plasma pistol on the leader. Or the energy shield which gives +2 to saves (both ranged and melee) in forward arc. Or a pair of power knives for the leader and shotgun champ (one each). Van Saar shouldn't be in combat if possible though (their best ws is 4+ so they tend to suck - combine that with a max of 2 wounds on both leader and champ, and the crappy initiative scores, and these guys aren't great for melee or much physically), so probably a bad spend on the knives - Van Saar are clearly the gunline/sniper gang of this edition (and so should be playing keep away as much as possible), while Orlocks so far feel like a great all-rounder gang that can do both melee and shooting quite comfortably, with plenty of dakka to sling downrange.

The plasma and melta stuff for Van Saar is great and all, but scarce and/or "click" tend to put paid to these guns a lot at my table (having had Orlocks until now, it's usually my escher opponent(s) suffering from this), so my experience suggests that normal and/or plentiful guns tend to be the better option in general, and still do just fine for rmurdering a dude, even when they have mesh armour as standard (orlocks are shorter than eschers, meaning they get better cover bonuses on average, so my minis are great on defence).

Maybe I'd use some points to buy a carbine or two (they're basically better laser autoguns) as rapid fire has proven to be a very good thing to have on the board. Maybe not so much the las-stub carbine though, as laser autopistols don't strike me as a good investment (I've found normal autopistols to not be so great).

The big question is "is the rad cannon worth the investment to blast dudes with rad phage?". That auto-flesh wound on a hit (not counting other damage) is sort of nice. But on the other hand, it's nice to just murder a dude to begin with. Dumping the rad cannon for a plasmagun sniper would free up 30 creds (25 after buying the obligatory backup laspistol) to spend on other poo poo.

If we assume being close up is bad, then expensive pistol/melee weapons are a waste of credits/trap choice, so laspistols only make sense as backups for plasmagun snipers, and plasma pistols and melta combis make little sense at all.

355 becomes 250 after buying plasmagun+laspistol for champ1.
becomes 190 after buying 2 lasguns and 2 carbines for the 4 gangers
becomes 180 after buying laspistol and shock stave for juve (no point having twin pistols).
becomes 100 after buying laser shotgun for leader and champ2
becomes 55 after buying mesh armour for leader and both champs.

55 could get a gunsight for the sniper champ (or sniper leader, with two shotgun champs...) with plasmagun and maybe some other bits.
Maybe backup laspistols for leader and champ2 as well.

Can gunsights be stacked?
E: no, they can't.
A monosight looks like the best purchase (causing the least arguments, overall).

Rough list looks like this:

Van Saar

Leader 130
Plasmagun 100
laspistol 5
Mesh armour 15

Champion 110
Laser Suppressor 40
Mesh armour 15

Champion 110
Laser Suppressor 40
Mesh armour 15

Juve 35
Laspistol 5
Shock Stave 5

Ganger 65
Lasgun 10

Ganger 65
lasgun 10

Ganger 65
LasCarbine 20

Ganger 65
LasCarbine 20

Mono sight 35 (on plasmagun)

4 laspistols?

Plasmagun could go on leader or on a champion, it really doesn't matter too much, they both have a 2+ BS stat.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 8, 2018

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Oooh, where can you buy this? I'm taking over our BB league and need to be on top of any changes.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Just finished a local Blood Bowl mini tournament and though I didn't win, I am bloody happy at how I did. I played the standard Orcs list (4 Black orcs, 4 Blitzers etc).

Drew my first game against Dwarves. I received the kick but spent my drive trying to batter through his line. Game ended due to tourney time limit with no scores.

My second game was against the tourney winner and his Chaos team. I somehow pushed this to a draw with no Orcs dying (his minotaur thankfully kept failing his beast rolls). Very bashy match, a lucky long bomb kept me from loosing.

The final game was against humans. I deployed totally arseways and got into a bad mosh. He consistently was able to support his tackles or support against mine, managed to steal the ball and get a touchdown. Tourney time-limit stopped me from getting the equaliser.

Overall brilliant fun and surprised how well I did in my first tournament (thought I'd be wiped out). Still struggling against faster, less bashy teams and could do with some tips.

I don't like using turn time limits, but tourneys really need them. I recommend playing friendlies with your own timer on, or fumbbl or the BB2 game to get better at speedy play.

The trick with Dwarves is to NOT get into a ruck with them. As Orcs you've got a bit more speed, and once you/they've tied up their players they only have a few who can reliably dodge out.

Surprised but glad to hear of a Chaos win! They're a great team but only once they've had some momentum behind them.

Humans are a great match-up for Orcs, but you need to make sure you keep a Blitzer or two back to act as a sweeper for any Catchers/Blitzers that get through - same with any speedy team. Humans don't have great agility though, so force them to make awkward dodges with their players. If they cage up, you should have the strength/armour advantage to stop them from progressing too far, and can hopefully pin them against the side of the pitch.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I got my copy from elementgames.co.uk.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

glitchkrieg posted:

Oooh, where can you buy this? I'm taking over our BB league and need to be on top of any changes.

My local store had them on the shelf next to the other new GW releases, doesn't seem like they're making it hard to get.

mcjomar posted:

So I've skimmed Van Saar.

Do you think Van Saar models only being able to raise Toughness by 1 over the course of a campaign is a drawback? It doesn't seem like much of one to me.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Do you think Van Saar models only being able to raise Toughness by 1 over the course of a campaign is a drawback? It doesn't seem like much of one to me.

It'll suck as enemy gangs get better weapons down the line, but no it's not even close to enough.
The WS hit (nothing better than a 4+ anywhere to start with) probably won't help much as it can be fixed down the line, and lovely init values (nothing better than 4+ here too) has the same issue, as does only having 2W on the leader (compared to Orlock's 3). In fact the leader having a 5+ init suggests that anyone playing Van Saar is better off mounting that plasmagun sniper build on a champion to deal with knockback issues when stood next to edges on 3d terrain (that +1 bonus from a barricade that you should be using anyway brings a champion's 4+ to a 3+ giving them a good chance to avoid falling off when shot).

The Van Saar bodysuit can't be stacked with an armoured undershirt, but even so, the armour buff from that combined with the mesh armour makes for a pretty good armour save (4+) - best in game, outside of people who use carapace in the late game.

These drawbacks only help during early game - if at all. Van Saar are a min-maxers/Tau player's wet dream, given the auto access to savant and shooting skills, not to mention a spread of basic guns that autoreload because of the plentiful rule.

The only way to take these fucks down is:
have poo poo tons of LoS blocking terrain (if you're not doing this anyway, why the gently caress not?)
murder them in melee (Escher will have a field day here, as will Goliath, Orlock somewhat also but to a lesser extent than the other two).
pull them out of position by choosing mission types that gently caress with their need to sit still and snipe (or just force them to come to you if they want to have any chance of playing a game, or, y'know, winning)

Basically, Van Saar suck in melee, and will hate being forced to play the offensive game, as their statlines don't really gel with that style.

Flip side is, if you're a Van Saar bastard then the best way to work this is to abuse the basic weapons - las shotguns especially - combined with the naturally superior BS. The plasmagun is still nasty on the move, and laspistols will force pinning checks at least. If this hail mary doesn't work, and the opponent got into close combat, then you're hosed anyway so just move on, and focus on the dudes you might still save. Throwing the energy shield on the champs and leader sort of makes sense in this situation, as it will give a +2 to the armour save (great against those escher power swords and plasma pistols), but if you've got someone stabbing your leader in the face then you've done something very very wrong as a Van Saar player. You dumb bastard. The best reason to bring along the Rad-Cannon is to bring your opponents toughness down to your (Van Saar) levels so that your basic guns can go to work.

Same tricks apply as in other parts of the game - shoot the dudes who haven't shot yet so they waste an action standing up, leave your already-pinned dudes down until the end so they can't be shot so easy (only works at long range though), don't waste time on activating characters who can't contribute to murdering the other guys (if they're downed or not able to move to a position where they can murder a dude, then they count as being worthless for your early activations - this isn't battletech and init sinks don't exist in the same way).

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Will playing on tiles help, do you think?

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sulecrist posted:

Will playing on tiles help, do you think?

It'll help some, I would imagine. I've played exclusively on 3d so far, so I'm just guessing here.

I will note that the other drawback, as such, is that Van Saar poo poo is expensive.
More costly gangers, more costly lasguns (compared to Escher), costly heavy weapons are still costly, and their laser versions of the bullet-based tech are also more costly (laser autogun is 20 creds to the autogun's 15, while the laser shotgun is a chunky 40, instead of the new and improved 25 for Orlocks).
If a Van Saar player goes for a full 10 man gang, then they'll be under equipped, or won't have many/any special or heavy weapons (without paying through the nose for it elsewhere), so I'm expecting most Van Saar gangs that do go for the special gear to be 8 minis in size, with some amount of plasma, and ~maybe~ a rad weapon. If your Van Saar player has melee weapons equipped, then he's easy meat, murder that sucker (although if the guy has a shield then he'll be an annoying as gently caress nut to crack without plasma/power weapons of your own).

E: a skim of the tiles rules suggests that it'll only mitigate the damage - Van Saar will still be bastardy, but the tiles should make it less easy for them to set up true firing lines, and will also cause them trouble as all heavy weapons for Van Saar are Unwieldy, so any Van Saar setting up with a Rad Cannon is screwed on tiles. But a min-maxer will just ignore the heavy weapons for Van Saar on a tiles game and just bring the basic/special weapons instead. YMMV depending on how crunchy your opponent is. TLoS/Base percentages are still a bastard for starting arguments about whether it's a -1 or a -2, whether you're on tiles or 3d terrain, and this will be more important to a shooty gang like Van Saar than, say, a hack'n'slash gang (Is Goliath more this in this edition? I've yet to fight a Goliath gang).

Template weapons and melee are still great for flushing them out, and careful use of tactics cards and the terrain features on the tiles should see you through to murdering them (such as 'hiding' around a corner then charging them so they don't get a shot, although a Van Saar player who puts themselves in that position is either dumb, or you've made them desperate for a win/objective).

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 8, 2018

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

mcjomar posted:

Same tricks apply as in other parts of the game - shoot the dudes who haven't shot yet so they waste an action standing up

Yes!

quote:

leave your already-pinned dudes down until the end so they can't be shot so easy (only works at long range though)

Yes!

quote:

don't waste time on activating characters who can't contribute to murdering the other guys (if they're downed or not able to move to a position where they can murder a dude, then they count as being worthless for your early activations - this isn't battletech and init sinks don't exist in the same way).

No. Having more fighters than your opponent, and/or doing "useless" moves first, is its own tactic. So many of my opponents have gone with an aggressive start to the turn using group activations, I activate a juve who closes in on a downed model/gets closer in cover, opponent group activates again, I move the down model closer to the juve, and then my opponent has one more activation before I get to activate the rest of my gang and my opponent can't react.

Obviously, this is situational - sometimes you want to win priority and group activate, have them all shoot and move out of LoS - but it can really sway a game when you gently caress up their entire game plan with one turn of uninterrupted activations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
So what I'm hearing is that I'd probably be viewed with the same level of enthusiasm as a Tau player in 40k if I were to pick up Van Saar as my first gang? That's a shame because I really dig the models. It's not like there's much of a community for the game here anyways, at least.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Spike! is $12.50 for 36 pages? WTF, GW?

EDIT: Ebook is $7.99, which is a bit more palatable...

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 8, 2018

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

glitchkrieg posted:

No. Having more fighters than your opponent, and/or doing "useless" moves first, is its own tactic. So many of my opponents have gone with an aggressive start to the turn using group activations, I activate a juve who closes in on a downed model/gets closer in cover, opponent group activates again, I move the down model closer to the juve, and then my opponent has one more activation before I get to activate the rest of my gang and my opponent can't react.

Obviously, this is situational - sometimes you want to win priority and group activate, have them all shoot and move out of LoS - but it can really sway a game when you gently caress up their entire game plan with one turn of uninterrupted activations.

Incredibly situational for me - I've yet to find myself in this position, even though I've got more bods on the table with Orlock as my main gang. Usually because most of my important guys are smack in the middle of a firefight, and I need to shift/use them before my opponent pins them or kills them outright.

I see your point though, but I find this to be a risky play if I want to keep some of my guys alive, not least because group activations are only a sometimes thing in my local meta, while this example you're showing suggests that you're seeing a lot more of your opponents use the group activations, and early on to boot (and it also suggests that they're missing a lot of shots with those group activations?). So I guess it's a subjective thing for our respective gaming groups - right now I'd never recommend using the init sinks with the way my local groups are playing, as I need to leverage that firepower as early as possible before my opponent takes it away from me.

If my local players change that up though, and do more group hits that leave me open to this tactic, then you can bet I'll go all battletech on their asses.

E:

Pendent posted:

So what I'm hearing is that I'd probably be viewed with the same level of enthusiasm as a Tau player in 40k if I were to pick up Van Saar as my first gang? That's a shame because I really dig the models. It's not like there's much of a community for the game here anyways, at least.

Depends how you play it.
If you're not a cover-hugging gunliner, and play a more mobile gang, then you're liable to be better off and better received - and don't avoid a gang just because I've listed all the crunchy min-maxy ways in which to break them!

Mobile shotguns/lasguns/lascarbines are a likely viable way to play this, and you can flavour it up a little with some melee (or that energy shield) to give your opponents something fun to engage with. Just don't take any heavy weapons, and you'll be able to play this way, and your opponent will find you a much more enjoyable player to have fun shooting mans in face with.
It's much less min-maxy/gunline, but both you and your opponent will have more fun (and you've still got plenty of chances to win, even without the crunch).
Also maybe don't take the crazy plasma sniper if you really want to give your opponent a chance.

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I think you'll be fine. As said earlier, the gang gets really expensive really quickly so you're likely to be outnumbered. A basic ganger is 55 points and just has a 6+. You can up that to a 4+, but then they're 70 points before weapons and even a Goliath ganger's 60 points base. You can short your mooks on armor to start, but they'll probably go down pretty quickly.

While we're talking about GW3, what would y'all say is a good starting loadout for a new Orlock leader? The new weapon/wargear list is below:

Out of the base set, I was going to go with a combat shotgun and a servoclaw, but I figured I'd wait on the weapons sets to finalize things. I definitely want a bolter to make use of his 3+ BS, but I'm torn between a servoclaw or two-handed hammer. The leader is the only Orlock to start with a 3+ WS so I thought I'd start him off with a decent melee weapon. The two-handed hammer is honestly pretty scary with S+1, AP-1, and D3, but it suffers from a -1 to hit. The servoclaw is S+2, no AP, and D2 with no modifiers to hit. I'd been hoping that the hammer in the Orlock weapons packs would turn out to be a power hammer, but that wasn't the case. I could also go with a chainsword for parry; it's the only weapon on that list with it.