Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Actually, she's done that with other villains three times, if you count Fray as a villain (which I do, murder is bad), one for every big-deal-well-regarded part of the game she's written. You could count Yotsuyu twice, too, if you really wanted. I think she's written other storylines around the place, but I don't remember the list enough to count them. I know she created Ysayle, but didn't write her in HW, so that doesn't count.

SirSamVimes posted:

Human sympathetic villains isn't a "trope".

Trend? Recurring concept? Natsuko seems to really like putting big, dramatic sympathy plays for her villains right near their end (sometimes more than once, Yotsuyu got two), whatever you want to call them. I'm just pointing this out in relation to the one guy it's not gonna work for.

In terms of comparisons to other Final Fantasy villains, Emet is very Kuja in terms of making you sympathize with strong emotions about concepts too grand to fully grasp, and that works for them. Yotsuyu is one without a clear comparison but she's clearly keying off a very realistically bad past into her form of grand vengeance, which isn't a world away from a few minor villains, and I'm not fond of the final form it takes but it worked really well during 4.0. And I guess Fray was that one scene in FFIV that people apparently like, I dunno, I wasn't big on IV.

But Fandaniel is Exdeath by way of Kefka. Just an unmitigated awful person, a total shitbag, with nothing getting in the way of just wanting to murder him even harder. You don't need that sort of character to have sympathy plays, and in fact it can hurt them, introduces hesitation when the best part of them is their failure and eventual death being pure catharsis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Natsuko also wrote Asahi, who was an rear end in a top hat to the end

And wouldn't ya know it

Guess whose body Danny is driving around

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well yeah, I just think it's a weird leap to go from all that and go "Clearly they're going to make him a tragic figure again" because they did that with another villian....once.

They were also very aggressively trying to do the same thing with Elidibus.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh poo poo twice out of all the villains.

No seriously it's not happening. Relax.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kyrosiris posted:

Oh poo poo, you're right, I forgot about him. Four times! Technically five if you count 4.0 and 4.3 Yotsuyu separately!

Meanwhile the villains she hasn't done that with at all have been... Asahi, yeah, and Vauthry? If someone has the list of questlines under her belt it'd be appreciated.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Cleretic this isn't a coin flip/percentage roll based on which villains have and haven't had sad backstories you're meant to feel something about, it's writing a character and nothing so far has indicated it's going that way at all and in fact it's being written way differently than the previous two ascian main bad guys. In the other thread pretty recently you straight up admit you don't pay attention if you don't already like the character speaking, so maybe just relax and wait for the plot to actually happen instead of trying to do....whatever this strange divination is.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Oh poo poo twice out of all the villains.

No seriously it's not happening. Relax.

I don't necessarily inherently agree with the angle Cleretic is posing, I'm just saying that they tried real hard to do to Elidibus what they fairly successfully pulled with Emet.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

That's the thing about character motivations, especially villains: Either they're evil because of past trauma, or evil because they want to attack and dethrone God, or because they think they're doing the right thing/greater good. Very rarely, you get some who are just sociopaths, but as Zenos chat has shown us, that doesn't make for a very interesting antagonist when they have all of the motivation of a Saturday morning cartoon villain.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Cleretic this isn't a coin flip/percentage roll based on which villains have and haven't had sad backstories you're meant to feel something about, it's writing a character and nothing so far has indicated it's going that way at all and in fact it's being written way differently than the previous two ascian main bad guys. In the other thread pretty recently you straight up admit you don't pay attention if you don't already like the character speaking, so maybe just relax and wait for the plot to actually happen instead of trying to do....whatever this strange divination is.

At this point I'm just trying to get a bead on the main writer and the things she seems to lean towards writing, which I find a useful and interesting way of understanding an ongoing story and at times an effective way to make predictions.

Like, we're not going to get 'Hydaelyn is evil' under her not just because that's stupid and they haven't pointed towards that at all, but because she doesn't seem in any way interested in 'turns out the good guy is evil'. She clearly prefers the opposite, to go 'turns out the bad guy has noble goals (or at least a sympathetic reason)'. I'm just trying to find more tendencies like that.

I know she seems to like various forms of 'ghosts of the past', too, stuff like that has come up a lot with her (just off the top of my head 70 DRK, Tsukuyomi's transition phase, pretty much the entirety of Amaurot) and yet basically nowhere else. She likes that one, so it's a fair guess that's gonna come in somehow in Endwalker.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
We can presume that Zenos is a product of his upbringing, but she also isn't shy, as a writer, about going 'Yeah, we can see how they got there. They still gotta die, though.'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Waffleman_ posted:

Natsuko also wrote Asahi, who was an rear end in a top hat to the end

And wouldn't ya know it

Guess whose body Danny is driving around

yea I really just doubt they're going to do some 'actually drat Daniel was a good boy all along, cry for him' thing for him, it's just probably gonna be more 'this is what broke this guy so bad, it's sad that someone with potential like an Ascian fell so far, oh well go kill him now because he's sure as poo poo not that guy anymore'.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

Actually, she's done that with other villains three times, if you count Fray as a villain (which I do, murder is bad), one for every big-deal-well-regarded part of the game she's written. You could count Yotsuyu twice, too, if you really wanted. I think she's written other storylines around the place, but I don't remember the list enough to count them. I know she created Ysayle, but didn't write her in HW, so that doesn't count.

Trend? Recurring concept? Natsuko seems to really like putting big, dramatic sympathy plays for her villains right near their end (sometimes more than once, Yotsuyu got two), whatever you want to call them. I'm just pointing this out in relation to the one guy it's not gonna work for.

In terms of comparisons to other Final Fantasy villains, Emet is very Kuja in terms of making you sympathize with strong emotions about concepts too grand to fully grasp, and that works for them. Yotsuyu is one without a clear comparison but she's clearly keying off a very realistically bad past into her form of grand vengeance, which isn't a world away from a few minor villains, and I'm not fond of the final form it takes but it worked really well during 4.0. And I guess Fray was that one scene in FFIV that people apparently like, I dunno, I wasn't big on IV.

But Fandaniel is Exdeath by way of Kefka. Just an unmitigated awful person, a total shitbag, with nothing getting in the way of just wanting to murder him even harder. You don't need that sort of character to have sympathy plays, and in fact it can hurt them, introduces hesitation when the best part of them is their failure and eventual death being pure catharsis.

Alright, now that Cleretic has firmly stated their take, we can close the thread, as we all know that exactly the opposite of everything they said will happen

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Waffleman_ posted:

*Cinemasins voice* Characters with depth trope *ding*

Now lets not be that mean, She doesn't say her posts are parody or something... when called out on them like CS used to. She just digs in harder.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

The Ran'jiit would work too. Ice him in a solo duty (with white auracite and the weapon of light bit as a duty action after he bites it and his soul pops out or w/e), leave his ruined body face down on the cold hard ground to go deal with the real threat.

How about : ice him in a solo duty... as Krile.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

OddObserver posted:

How about : ice him in a solo duty... as Krile.

Actually, when you don't allow Zenos to declare himself the center of the narrative, Krile is the most appropriate person to kill Zenos, except for maybe Fordola.

To the WoL he's just some fucker that beat them twice, only for the tables to turn as the WoL beats him three times; there's neither dramatic tension or buildup to that one, at this point he's like a rival in a later Pokemon game, turning up occasionally to get steamrolled progressively more easily as the disparity grows stronger.

But to Krile? He's not just the one guy that beat her rear end, he's the guy that beat her rear end and then stole her Echo (granted, stole in the same way that music pirates steal music, she's still allowed to be pissed). She comes at him not just for vengeance, but as the person with an exact match in power but more experience.

Plus, I always felt like the most ironically satisfying way for Zenos to die is to deny him his own satisfaction. He's already been allowed to fight the WoL plenty of times, doing it again won't make for a better story. But getting his rear end kicked by someone he might not even remember, getting denied the perpetual wish he set himself up for? That's way better than 'the WoL beats Zenos again'.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Can Krile actually fight? Like she has some healing capabilities, but she's not once shown an aptitude for any level of combat, unless she does something in Eureka.

A Zenos vs. Krile fight would be a murder.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Can Krile actually fight? Like she has some healing capabilities, but she's not once shown an aptitude for any level of combat, unless she does something in Eureka.

A Zenos vs. Krile fight would be a murder.
Special Duty Status: mad because small

derra
Dec 29, 2012
HW: She fights along side you in at least one solo duty, where you’re stopping Regula in Aethereochemical during the Warring Triad chain. I didn’t look too closely what she was casting but she was an active participant as you went deeper.

Found a vid:

https://youtu.be/8wFAfNyq55I

derra fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 4, 2021

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
we could just take out zenos' knees and then like, lend her a gun

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Farg posted:

we could just take out zenos' knees and then like, lend her a gun

Yeah, but then we'd have to help her grind MCH so that she didn't just keep missing.

Spruchy
May 12, 2013

I am not a machine. I feel and believe. I have opinions. Some of them are interesting. I could, if you would let me, talk and talk. Let us talk about anything.
Nearing the last stretch of SB I think, I liked the level 66 zone.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Gearhead posted:

We can presume that Zenos is a product of his upbringing, but she also isn't shy, as a writer, about going 'Yeah, we can see how they got there. They still gotta die, though.'

I think under the standard being talked about itt this would count as making them sympathetic and therefore Bad

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Badger of Basra posted:

I think under the standard being talked about itt this would count as making them sympathetic and therefore Bad
I think with Zenos we kind of have already seen his deal, and he's aggressively disdained everything other than his deal. Like, this is the choice the character has willfully made. He has even, on screen, considered other routes of action, and rejected them. So barring some kind of situation like "we have a solo duty where he panicks and runs from the WoL, while we chase him and shout his own catchphrases back at him in a sarcastic tone of voice, leading to him having some kind of moral awakening," I don't think we will get Zenos be somehow redeemed or shined up. We may find out more detail about him but it will probably be along the line of "he killed his own pet when he was six years old... his pet DOUBLE CERBERUS!"

I similarly doubt we will get anything redemptive out of Fandaniel but we may see some of his perspective or pre-Asahi incarnations etc.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

My guess is he ends up getting jobbed to whatever the Real Big Bad of Endwalker is, whether it's Zodiark or Lunar Hydaelyn or whoever.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nessus posted:

So barring some kind of situation like "we have a solo duty where he panicks and runs from the WoL, while we chase him and shout his own catchphrases back at him in a sarcastic tone of voice, leading to him having some kind of moral awakening," I don't think we will get Zenos be somehow redeemed or shined up.

If nothing else all I want now is to have dialogue choices with Zenos that are just his in battle lines.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

If nothing else all I want now is to have dialogue choices with Zenos that are just his in battle lines.
"Have you the strength?"
"Have you the strength? (said in a sarcastic tone of voice)"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

the_steve posted:

My guess is he ends up getting jobbed to whatever the Real Big Bad of Endwalker is, whether it's Zodiark or Lunar Hydaelyn or whoever.

'Zenos' turns into 'Zeromus' so easily and we are going to the moon...

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

multijoe posted:

'Zenos' turns into 'Zeromus' so easily and we are going to the moon...

They're not gonna push the FF4 angle that hard, as far as story goes they don't really use old FFs for anything other than broad themes and allusion.

"Dark Knight becomes Paladin, goes to the moon" and a bunch of visual and nominal references is probably the full extent of it. Even "Dark Knight becomes Paladin" is pretty contextually different in FF14, since for Cecil becoming a Paladin was about following his personal code and not binding himself to duty and blindly following authority, whereas for the WoL, that's what becoming a Dark Knight meant.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

They're not gonna push the FF4 angle that hard, as far as story goes they don't really use old FFs for anything other than broad themes and allusion.

"Dark Knight becomes Paladin, goes to the moon" and a bunch of visual and nominal references is probably the full extent of it. Even "Dark Knight becomes Paladin" is pretty contextually different in FF14, since for Cecil becoming a Paladin was about following his personal code and not binding himself to duty and blindly following authority, whereas for the WoL, that's what becoming a Dark Knight meant.

???

Every single final boss to date has been a direct reference to a a previous game, whatever the final boss is it's going to be pushing something hard

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
What was Hades a reference to

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

erenoyo posted:

The Final Fantasy IX boss 'Hades'

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

erenoyo posted:

Boss in 9.

But Zenos won't turn into Zeromus.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

multijoe posted:

The Final Fantasy IX boss 'Hades'

notably found in a secret underwater zone no one really knew existed

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

They're visual references but story-wise none of them are similar to their previous incarnations in the series at all. They will almost certainly use Zeromus (and Neo-Exdeath, and Bizzaro Sephiroth, and all the other hosed up body horror designs) as visual references for whatever the 6.0 last boss is but beyond that and maybe a name it's not going to be like anything else in FF.

erenoyo
Jun 30, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Neo-Exdeath is already the boss in O4S

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Boss in 9.

But Zenos won't turn into Zeromus.

He’ll turn into Zemus.

Who will turn into Zeromus.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

yeah, it'll be named Zenomus

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

erenoyo posted:

Neo-Exdeath is already the boss in O4S

I know. That doesn't prevent them from using the weirdo hosed up fleshmass design that FF last bosses tend have, be it the "lump of screaming demons" design like the tower leading up to Kefka or the more stylized but still horrific Ultimecia and Necron designs.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zenormous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chillgamesh posted:

They're visual references but story-wise none of them are similar to their previous incarnations in the series at all. They will almost certainly use Zeromus (and Neo-Exdeath, and Bizzaro Sephiroth, and all the other hosed up body horror designs) as visual references for whatever the 6.0 last boss is but beyond that and maybe a name it's not going to be like anything else in FF.

Well yeah, I'm not saying he's going to literally turn into the character straight from FFIV, but that will be the thematic and visual base for the final boss like Knights of the Round was for Thordan and Hades was for, uh, Hades