Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

You are. Don't you remember? Your memory must be going.

The only gas here is from the Filé Oskar I had at Restaurang London here in Stockholm last night. Asparagus farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gaslighting is when the celadon cytoserocin cloud is being harvested by too many Moas and Ventures, proccing rapid thermal explosions that wipe out everyone who wasn't buffer fit

I've always wondered -- do wormhole gas clouds explode, or are they strictly guarded by sleepers?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Today's goosefleet rules fiasco was someone thinking that a rule that was written as "don't shoot eve-scout rescue caches" also meant don't cause trouble around them.

Bigbillthaboss
Feb 25, 2013

TRASH ASS EDGELORD,
PUT ME ON IGNORE

andromache posted:

So we recently acquired this corp, War Eagle Fleet, and other stuff...

Not only is this the dumbest name but also should have immediately threw up red flags along with triggering an immediate veto.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

whats are the odds at that this makes it out of beta

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Hazdoc posted:

If it makes it into beta....

I'm hopeful. They had the right idea with legion in adding PvE and an overworld, and just migrating everyone’s characters a la a runescape -> Runescape 2 migration to get rid of the technical debt. It seems like this will at least also be on PC if not be a PC only game.

As a Dust player I’ve been hopeful that something will be playable since they emailed and asked everyone to reserve their old character names and for veteran rewards.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

corgski posted:

Today's goosefleet rules fiasco was someone thinking that a rule that was written as "don't shoot eve-scout rescue caches" also meant don't cause trouble around them.

It's really a very clear rule. Don't shoot the cans.

We deliberately do not say anything about ships near the cans.

We pointed this out - gently, calmly! - to the silly gosling and they came to the correct conclusion. I doubt that calling them names would have achieved the same and desired result.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Hazdoc posted:

Out of beta, and exclusively on Playstation 5.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

dragonshardz posted:

It's really a very clear rule. Don't shoot the cans.

We deliberately do not say anything about ships near the cans.

We pointed this out - gently, calmly! - to the silly gosling and they came to the correct conclusion. I doubt that calling them names would have achieved the same and desired result.

don't forget, rule five is 'no sov' and it applies to everyone equally. :honked:

psilocybin laden
Jul 29, 2022

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

the worst about that are sib squad and those IGC dipshits. that kind of pubbie "every capsuleer for themself" mentality has festered in gsf for a long time and i suspect will get worse without anyone to call them out or awox them for it

they did it to me in querious constantly, i'd be on the gate and bringing my runner over and theyd warp to it and take the gate

shooting blues should be allowed and encouraged

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

When I tell my skip to orbit something, the orbit projection is wildly off where my ship is orbiting.

What on earth does the orbital projection map to?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

homercles posted:

When I tell my skip to orbit something, the orbit projection is wildly off where my ship is orbiting.

What on earth does the orbital projection map to?

How is it off? The radius is incorrect?

What's your speed and align time, and what orbit are you trying to achieve?

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

the suggested orbit seems merely a translated suggestion, my ship has its own ideas

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Yes I realise you would have to be a fool to try make ISK through ratting. I have abandoned all future PvE SP plans and in the future intend to pathetically beg for ISK.

Is the thread slow mode still necessary? May we please turn it off and see what happens? actually don't listen to me

homercles fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 25, 2022

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

homercles posted:

Yes I realise you would have to be a fool to try make ISK through ratting. I have abandoned all future PvE SP plans and in the future intend to pathetically beg for ISK.

i've made billions off of these fools through the SRP, just by being terrible at the game. currently the mainsource of losses for the goosefleet :mmmhmm:

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

I rewatched a video of a well known goon spending 3.5T ISK on a golden spaceship he'll never undock.

Never spend a single second farming, gently caress this game

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

homercles posted:

the suggested orbit seems merely a translated suggestion, my ship has its own ideas

Ship agility is a factor here too. There's a give and take between your speed when orbiting and the ship inertia*modifier

Someone at CCP Atlanta explained this ages and ages and ages ago, if I recall correctly the ship tries to orbit at your designated orbit + internal radius property of what you're orbiting, but it also steps on the gas to 100% speed by default. The result is that the ship skids on its rear end a little farther out than intended, less if it's very agile and more if you're, say, using an oversize prop mod with a huge mass modifier and greater speed.

Imagine two cars doing doughnuts, the one has a stock engine well the other has a V12 from a monster truck bolted to the front. the greater inertia and speed are going to make the second one's rear end drag out farther

The ship navigation code does apparently align inward a little bit when orbiting--notice that orbits aren't ever-growing spirals--but it's apparently not designed to proactively calculate how much deflection would be needed to counteract the effect of mass, inertia modifier, and ship speed. I don't remember if the deflection angle is just some static coefficient of the orbit radius that they settled on that works well enough.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 24, 2022

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
it's more the compensation from the other ship's movement, there is a very strong need for the orbiter to stay at the designated range and a fast ship can regularly break default orbits

if red moved sharpy in that direction, a ship orbiting and the blue and green position would have a very non-orbit like pattern for quite a white.

if red continued at high velocity for a longer time, it'd cease to be an orbit, keeping at range is far more important than orbit. think of orbitting as keeping at range, but with the engine forced to full output

1001 Arabian dicks fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 24, 2022

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Orbit behavior is cool and good and something you should try to abuse to dunk on nerds who think they’re just gonna orbit you at 28km or whatever

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
orbital dynamics requires brain damage

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

lollontee posted:

orbital dynamics causes brain damage

ftfy

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

causticBeet posted:

Orbit behavior is cool and good and something you should try to abuse to dunk on nerds who think they’re just gonna orbit you at 28km or whatever

yeah, it's why manual piloting it's so drat important to learn

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Complete and utter outsider here. I’m reading the other thread in the Comedy Gold Mine right now and all I can say is what the gently caress. How. Just…how.

I’ve heard of GSF, of Imperium, of the stories that goons were a part of/started. I’ve been watching from the sidelines and I started to believe the myth that the goons, in whatever form they took, were the only constant in EVE. I bought into that hype.

I had no idea that poo poo would go down. None! Holy gently caress, you folks. What is going on? Is THE most storied alliance in the history of gaming starting to crash and burn? Or has it always been like that?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
every now and then the tree of srp must be watered with the blood of tyrants

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

HereticMIND posted:

I had no idea that poo poo would go down. None! Holy gently caress, you folks. What is going on? Is THE most storied alliance in the history of gaming starting to crash and burn? Or has it always been like that?

i think you overstate what happened

a couple of guys were removed for being bad eggs, the leader being one of them

that's p much it

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

yeah, it's why manual piloting it's so drat important to learn

why would i do anything besides slam mwd and approach with autocannons grouped on F1

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

HereticMIND posted:

Complete and utter outsider here. I’m reading the other thread in the Comedy Gold Mine right now and all I can say is what the gently caress. How. Just…how.

I’ve heard of GSF, of Imperium, of the stories that goons were a part of/started. I’ve been watching from the sidelines and I started to believe the myth that the goons, in whatever form they took, were the only constant in EVE. I bought into that hype.

This has happened before with ArcheAge and way too many pubbie guilds to count. One of the main issues with a large organization of any kind is that it inherently wants to preserve its power by any means necessary, even if the "power" is something useless like flags in pixel space; you have to actively design the org to avoid this, otherwise horrible poo poo inevitably happens that gets covered up until it breaks the group

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

HereticMIND posted:

They're not going anywhere but a buncha people who were tired of the poo poo going on left, and a creepy pedo got banned after his protector could no longer protect him

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Good Dumplings posted:

This has happened before with ArcheAge and way too many pubbie guilds to count. One of the main issues with a large organization of any kind is that it inherently wants to preserve its power by any means necessary

haha yeah remember when this happened and the space leader gave up his position within a week?

hahaha it's a conspiracy, everyone just wants to maintain power in video games!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Good Dumplings posted:

This has happened before with ArcheAge and way too many pubbie guilds to count. One of the main issues with a large organization of any kind is that it inherently wants to preserve its power by any means necessary, even if the "power" is something useless like flags in pixel space; you have to actively design the org to avoid this, otherwise horrible poo poo inevitably happens that gets covered up until it breaks the group

Heck it doesn't even need to be a large organization, though the larger and more hierarchical the organization the easier it is to sweep poo poo under the rug, but any sort of community can have the same dysfunctional patterns creep in. What makes all the difference is having people in positions of authority/influence who are able to recognize and willing to admit when a mistake has been made and act quickly to fix it rather than endlessly doubling down on how infallible they are and how anyone who has a problem is the problem.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Hell, look at the trainwreck GoonFleet was in Echoes to see how a maniac or series of maniacs can gently caress things up.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

haha yeah remember when this happened and the space leader gave up his position within a week?

hahaha it's a conspiracy, everyone just wants to maintain power in video games!

Oh, it only took a week. Wow, so cool.

How long were the original events covered up, by the way?

Apologies for quoting whats-his-face

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

PhilippAchtel posted:

Oh, it only took a week. Wow, so cool.

How long were the original events covered up, by the way?

Apologies for quoting whats-his-face

Not a long time. Just a decade.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

HereticMIND posted:

How? Social inertia and a personal cult that people bought into from the highest to lowest levels of the organization.

A literal decade of "I'm not that person in the Wizard Hat anymore" and acting like it - in public.

The Imperium isn't crashing and burning, but it's not the Official SA Coalition of EVE anymore. The Mittani is gone, Xenuria is gone, but the new leadership cares more about restoring the status quo of doing pixel spaceship flag games than making things right.

Goons who rose up and spoke out were banned from the Imperium and will likely remain banned unless we go and individually beg for clemency. Which, lol, we were right, get hosed.

Goosefleet is the new hotness and we live in a Nest made for us.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

If you want some action join Goosefeet the corp that's killed 160m in the last week. Settling into the wormhole any second now.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

Goons who rose up and spoke out were banned from the Imperium and will likely remain banned unless we go and individually beg for clemency. Which, lol, we were right, get hosed.

That is not what has been said, you continually exaggerate things.

Asher has said if you want back you just have to ask to rejoin, but on a case by case basis. Given the variety of ban reasons, they've said, not unreasonably, that they're not unbanning everyone banned between dates X and Y. If for no other reason then I doubt most of the banned players would *want* back in GSF.

I mean seriously, do *you* want unbanned? If not, why do you *care*?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

That is not what has been said, you continually exaggerate things.

Asher has said if you want back you just have to ask to rejoin, but on a case by case basis. Given the variety of ban reasons, they've said, not unreasonably, that they're not unbanning everyone banned between dates X and Y. If for no other reason then I doubt most of the banned players would *want* back in GSF.

I mean seriously, do *you* want unbanned? If not, why do you *care*?

This has been explained to you countless times. Go read.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

lovely tuna snatch posted:

If you want some action join Goosefeet the corp that's killed 160m in the last week. Settling into the wormhole any second now.

guess we need to start killing the same ibis over and over again in curse, really pump our numbers up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

This has been explained to you countless times. Go read.

And the "no blanket unbans" is also explained repeatedly with ample reasoning, yet here we are.