Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I'd just use a USB optical drive instead of performing surgery on a '11 iMac but that's just me

You can get 'em for like 20-30 bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Pivo posted:

I'd just use a USB optical drive instead of performing surgery on a '11 iMac but that's just me

2011 iMac dvd drive can be replaced in like 10 minutes start to finish.

Though I’d opt for external too and use the DVD space for a SSD.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Bob's pointed out that I clearly have never used a '16+ MBP, I'd like to make it clear I've never taken apart any iMac. I've performed enough Mac surgery in my life (mostly 09-14 MBPs) but I don't like the idea of suction cups. If you're going to get in there, as you said, may as well put in an SSD. What even comes on optical media these days?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Pivo posted:

Bob's pointed out that I clearly have never used a '16+ MBP, I'd like to make it clear I've never taken apart any iMac. I've performed enough Mac surgery in my life (mostly 09-14 MBPs) but I don't like the idea of suction cups. If you're going to get in there, as you said, may as well put in an SSD. What even comes on optical media these days?

Pivo posted:

Don’t even need suction cup. You can do it with finger nails or a credit card. I do think the screen screws are torx. Which is the hardest part if you don’t already have the bits.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the idea of any dust getting into the screen put me instantly off ever opening my 2010. My housemate was a former Genius and wouldn’t do it either outside of the shop.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

benisntfunny posted:

I do think the screen screws are torx. Which is the hardest part if you don’t already have the bits.

You can buy electronics driver kits at any hardware store these days that even includes pentalobes of all sizes

Like this but I only paid 20 on sale

Truly are magical times

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pivo posted:

I would and I already have some USB units but I gotta open up this fucker anyway for an SSD job so I'm trying to get everything done so I open it once.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah the idea of any dust getting into the screen put me instantly off ever opening my 2010. My housemate was a former Genius and wouldn’t do it either outside of the shop.

That was the biggest mistake I ever made when I opened up my 2011 iMac. Had two distracting pieces of dust trapped when I was done.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Proteus Jones posted:

That was the biggest mistake I ever made when I opened up my 2011 iMac. Had two distracting pieces of dust trapped when I was done.

Trapped? Just open the screen and remove it. I don't understand what y'all are on about.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pivo posted:

You can buy electronics driver kits at any hardware store these days that even includes pentalobes of all sizes

Like this but I only paid 20 on sale

Truly are magical times

Everyone should have one of these.

Floureon 38-piece Precision Screwdriver Set Repair Tool Kit for iPad,iPhone,PC,Watch,Samsung and Other Smartphone Tablet Computer Electronic Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SURH7W4?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

I have one at work and home and it’s a life saver.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Proteus Jones posted:

Dust blower? Clean new lens brush? I'd think that any good camera lens cleaning techniques could be applied if blowing doesn't resolve it. Maybe not for you but low hanging for some.

Anyway on that same topic my 2011 iMac has some soft discoloration/darkening in one of the screen corners thats not on the outside obviously. I'm pretty sure the previous owner never took it apart so is that something common for this 7 year old machine? Can it be carefully wiped off the panel?

E: oh it’s a thing.....:/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/27-imac-screen-stain-discoloration.1086564/

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 7, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yep, happened to my 2010 and had to be taken in. It got quite bad after a while.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Shaocaholica posted:

Anyway on that same topic my 2011 iMac has some soft discoloration/darkening in one of the screen corners thats not on the outside obviously. I'm pretty sure the previous owner never took it apart so is that something common for this 7 year old machine? Can it be carefully wiped off the panel?

Probably not. Old LCDs with side firing backlights (CFL lamps at the edge of the display) often develop dark spots as the reflective and diffuser layers responsible for evenly distributing light across the surface age and distort their geometry a little. I’ve never heard of there being anything you can do about this.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yep, happened to my 2010 and had to be taken in. It got quite bad after a while.
Yep I made sure to get a new display the week my AppleCare was gonna expire. I think I’d already had it swapped once before too for the same issue.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

benisntfunny posted:

Don’t even need suction cup. You can do it with finger nails or a credit card. I do think the screen screws are torx. Which is the hardest part if you don’t already have the bits.

Also had this on my 2009, thought it was weird that Apple were like WELP WE'LL REPLACE IT almost immediately. Didn't realize it was a common issue until now.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Just replaced my 2013 15" mbp with a new touch bar 15" version. Expensive but this thing rules.

Things that take getting used to:
-The keyboard is harder to use (you can't easily feel the edges setting the keys apart)

-I keep accidentally making contact with the giant touchpad

-I really like the touch bar, but I wish I had the dedicated keys for brightness/volume/play/pause still available. Th extra input required to access those controls is a bit annoying, but the coolness of the touch bar and customizability are dope and outweigh the inconvenience.

Also, Applecare for macbooks is now Applecare+, so it covers accidental damage. The price is higher though and the student discount much less than it used to be.

You guys probably already know this stuff but I thought I'd chime in.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just turn the touchbar back to regular keys

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

eriddy posted:

Also, Applecare for macbooks is now Applecare+, so it covers accidental damage. The price is higher though and the student discount much less than it used to be.

Thanks for telling us. However-

Apple posted:

Every Mac comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for Mac extends your coverage to three years from the original purchase date of your Mac and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax.

Really, the only thing new *is* the two incidents of accidental damage, similar to how they handle the iPhone. If you are super clumsy and smash up your machine more than twice, you still gotta pay out the nose.

It is nice that there's a cap of $99 on the screen and $299 for anything else, like pouring water/wine/bodily fluids/etc. over your keyboard.

It's better than before where accidental coverage WAS NOT COVERED PERIOD, and you paid whatever Apple felt like charging per part. But note that you have to buy AppleCare+ to get the right to pay only $299 for 'other' incidents.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I should smash my laptop before 2020 so I can get the new keyboard.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

eriddy posted:

Just replaced my 2013 15" mbp with a new touch bar 15" version. Expensive but this thing rules.

Things that take getting used to:
-The keyboard is harder to use (you can't easily feel the edges setting the keys apart)

-I keep accidentally making contact with the giant touchpad

-I really like the touch bar, but I wish I had the dedicated keys for brightness/volume/play/pause still available. Th extra input required to access those controls is a bit annoying, but the coolness of the touch bar and customizability are dope and outweigh the inconvenience.

You guys probably already know this stuff but I thought I'd chime in.

Hold down on the function in quick access and drag to save a bit of time.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I got a 2012 mac pro from ebay - would like to add some kind of usb3 functionality to it. The card I'm looking at on amazon uk apparently doesn't work on Yosemite or above according to the description - are there any that'll work on high sierra?

Also am I correct in saying that, in the event I buy an NVidia card for the thing when they're not so loving expensive, the NVidia driver stops working with every new OS version?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Generic Monk posted:

I got a 2012 mac pro from ebay - would like to add some kind of usb3 functionality to it. The card I'm looking at on amazon uk apparently doesn't work on Yosemite or above according to the description - are there any that'll work on high sierra?

Also am I correct in saying that, in the event I buy an NVidia card for the thing when they're not so loving expensive, the NVidia driver stops working with every new OS version?

The Inateck KT4004 (or any of it's rebranded variants) work great and are dirt cheap. The downside is that each port does not have an independent chip, so you're sharing bandwidth across all ports. If you want independent port bandwidth, the HighPoint Rocket cards or a Sonnet Allegro are what you're after, but they're considerably more expensive.

Until Apple start building a native nVidia driver stack for new cards (i.e. they ship new Macs with current nVidia GPU chipsets) then every OS update or supplemental update will break the drivers if the card is not flashed for EFI. You can get a GTX 680 that will be supported natively and can be flashed very easily in Windows, but it will be a bit lacking in power. The good news is that nVidia typically have a new web driver ready to go within 24-36 hours of a MacOS update going live.

Bear in mind that whilst later nVidia cards will work in MacOS as long as they have the most up to date driver, if they are not flashed you will not be able to use your screen until the driver loads and you're into either MacOS or Windows. For this reason, a lot of us keep an old, flashed card to hand should the worst happen. GT120s are pretty cheap on eBay, for example. Given the expense and risk of flashing modern nVidia cards, a lot of people prefer the RX 580 from AMD because it has native support and is marginally cheaper. Remember that APFS 'breaks' BootCamp's ability to switch bootable partitions and older solutions like BootChamp have been gimped by SIP.

Oh, and on that unflashed note - when you do a MacOS update, you won't be able to use your screen until you update the drivers. This is pretty easy and can be done through the System Preferences pane, but you'll need to be able to remote into your Mac Pro to see what you're doing. TeamViewer and the in-built screen sharing options work fine, the latter I find is better for post-update driver updates.

Also, remember that whilst the Mac Pro has a 1kW PSU, the mini 6-pin adapters for the GPU only provide 75W each. If you go for a beefy card that tries to draw more power than that, your Mac Pro will shut off to protect itself. There are a couple of solutions, like using the 2 mini 6-pins to power a single 8-pin and then using an adapter to steal a SATA power port from one of the optical bays to power the additional 6-pin or splicing directly into the main powerline with t-taps to overcome a power deficit with 980Ti/1080Ti/Titan. You should be fine with a 1070 though and I've only managed to force a shut down once with my 980Ti and that was using a synthetic torture test.

The dedicated Mac Pro forum over on MacRumors is a gold mine with some very helpful, knowledgeable and active posters.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

benisntfunny posted:

I doubt it very much but if I can prove to Apple that I own an iMac pro will they sell me the Magic Trackpad after the fact?

B&H had the 8core 64gb ram 16gb ATI at $500 off as long as you only got mouse and keyboard. With free shipping and no tax (because I’m not in their states) that’s like a $1100 Magic Trackpad.

What would be sweet is when you register the iMac they have an accessory store where you can order a limited number of replacements every X years.

I presume no one gives any level of fucks but I contacted Apple Support and they sold me one for $150 as a "Repair Request".

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

benisntfunny posted:

I presume no one gives any level of fucks but I contacted Apple Support and they sold me one for $150 as a "Repair Request".

Good to hear!

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Theophany posted:

The Inateck KT4004 (or any of it's rebranded variants) work great and are dirt cheap. The downside is that each port does not have an independent chip, so you're sharing bandwidth across all ports. If you want independent port bandwidth, the HighPoint Rocket cards or a Sonnet Allegro are what you're after, but they're considerably more expensive.

Until Apple start building a native nVidia driver stack for new cards (i.e. they ship new Macs with current nVidia GPU chipsets) then every OS update or supplemental update will break the drivers if the card is not flashed for EFI. You can get a GTX 680 that will be supported natively and can be flashed very easily in Windows, but it will be a bit lacking in power. The good news is that nVidia typically have a new web driver ready to go within 24-36 hours of a MacOS update going live.

Bear in mind that whilst later nVidia cards will work in MacOS as long as they have the most up to date driver, if they are not flashed you will not be able to use your screen until the driver loads and you're into either MacOS or Windows. For this reason, a lot of us keep an old, flashed card to hand should the worst happen. GT120s are pretty cheap on eBay, for example. Given the expense and risk of flashing modern nVidia cards, a lot of people prefer the RX 580 from AMD because it has native support and is marginally cheaper. Remember that APFS 'breaks' BootCamp's ability to switch bootable partitions and older solutions like BootChamp have been gimped by SIP.

Oh, and on that unflashed note - when you do a MacOS update, you won't be able to use your screen until you update the drivers. This is pretty easy and can be done through the System Preferences pane, but you'll need to be able to remote into your Mac Pro to see what you're doing. TeamViewer and the in-built screen sharing options work fine, the latter I find is better for post-update driver updates.

Also, remember that whilst the Mac Pro has a 1kW PSU, the mini 6-pin adapters for the GPU only provide 75W each. If you go for a beefy card that tries to draw more power than that, your Mac Pro will shut off to protect itself. There are a couple of solutions, like using the 2 mini 6-pins to power a single 8-pin and then using an adapter to steal a SATA power port from one of the optical bays to power the additional 6-pin or splicing directly into the main powerline with t-taps to overcome a power deficit with 980Ti/1080Ti/Titan. You should be fine with a 1070 though and I've only managed to force a shut down once with my 980Ti and that was using a synthetic torture test.

The dedicated Mac Pro forum over on MacRumors is a gold mine with some very helpful, knowledgeable and active posters.

thanks for the knowledgable post - yeah I'll just pick up the cheaper one since the only thing I'm going to be plugging in that needs any kind of throughput is an external hd with a separate power brick. mainly just need more ports rather than more speed.

mostly seems like what I expected with the NVidia cards, although the video not working until the computer fully boots is a bit of a bummer. might try to pick up an rx580 since I think I've been infected by the apple vapours to the point where I'd probably prefer not having to periodically gently caress about with drivers and take the hit to my hardcore mac gaming performance (which as of this point extends to the fan-made morrowind mac port and pillars of eternity, neither of which are exactly powerhouses)

just a shame the rx580 is so expensive right now. I've had pretty good luck with ebay lately but there's probably a disturbingly high chance of getting one that's been sitting in some bitcoin neckbeard's basement melting itself for a year

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Theophany posted:

In my experience, just go with the Sonnet Allegro PRO or high end HP Rocket, I have a Sonnet Pro on my 2012 MP running Sierra and it's never given me a single hiccup (hubs, though, are another matter.) If you do a lot of data transferring between devices, it's worth it as on the higher end cards, each port has its own dedicated controller, which speeds things up greatly. Whereas on the Inateck 4004s, it's one controller driving all four ports.

I stopped getting Inatecks because I have several machines cursed to remain at El Capitan (which is the WORST macOS to use with USB, bar none) and every once in a while we'd wind up with data corruption, never had any on the Allegro Pro.

quote:

The good news is that nVidia typically have a new web driver ready to go within 24-36 hours of a MacOS update going live.

nVidia probably only keeps a handful of staff working on this in the hopes that one day Apple will triumphantly 'return' and use nVidia GPUs again. In the meantime, there's a lot of older machines with nVidia GPUs that need updated High Sierra/whateverthefuckisnext drivers.

Generic Monk posted:

might try to pick up an rx580 since I think I've been infected by the apple vapours to the point where I'd probably prefer not having to periodically gently caress about with drivers and take the hit to my hardcore mac gaming performance (which as of this point extends to the fan-made morrowind mac port and pillars of eternity, neither of which are exactly powerhouses)

There have been plenty of reports on XLR8YourMac about people using Sapphire RX 580s in their Mac Pros who didn't have to touch anything to have them work OOTB.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 8, 2018

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Binary Badger posted:

nVidia probably only keeps a handful of staff working on this in the hopes that one day Apple will triumphantly 'return' and use nVidia GPUs again. In the meantime, there's a lot of older machines with nVidia GPUs that need updated High Sierra/whateverthefuckisnext drivers.

Yeah I agree that's definitely their endgame, if it was any serious work with each new iteration of the web drivers I doubt they'd have them out so routinely quickly or would even bother supporting such an infinitesimally small user base.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Theophany posted:

Yeah I agree that's definitely their endgame, if it was any serious work with each new iteration of the web drivers I doubt they'd have them out so routinely quickly or would even bother supporting such an infinitesimally small user base.

even without this maybe they're banking on apple bringing back something with a pci slot or idk, external GPUs. not that that's not also an infinitesimally small market at this point too tbf

Binary Badger posted:

There have been plenty of reports on XLR8YourMac about people using Sapphire RX 580s in their Mac Pros who didn't have to touch anything to have them work OOTB.

was referring to the NVidia cards re driver ballaches; sorry typing at work going back and forth so prob not too clear

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 8, 2018

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
2011 27” iMac front glass. I see $50 3rd party parts and $100 genuine parts both new. Anything horrible with the 3rd party ones? Anti reflective coating difference?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Generic Monk posted:

even without this maybe they're banking on apple bringing back something with a pci slot or idk, external GPUs. not that that's not also an infinitesimally small market at this point too tbf

was referring to the NVidia cards re driver ballaches; sorry typing at work going back and forth so prob not too clear

Also remember that the RX 580 will not have boot screens as it won't have been BIOS flashed, but you won't have any of the driver headaches. It will still cause headaches with trying to do a recovery or trying to switch boot partitions at startup. Best practice is to keep whatever card your Mac came with for emergencies.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cursed images

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

They rock for DTP when you're hamstrung by a lovely 1080 horizontal, but now we have high res ultrawides they're pointless.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I had this except it was the gimped IIsi.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Theophany posted:

Also remember that the RX 580 will not have boot screens as it won't have been BIOS flashed, but you won't have any of the driver headaches. It will still cause headaches with trying to do a recovery or trying to switch boot partitions at startup. Best practice is to keep whatever card your Mac came with for emergencies.

fair. probably not worth getting the card flashed but out of interest how would one go about doing it?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Generic Monk posted:

fair. probably not worth getting the card flashed but out of interest how would one go about doing it?

For nVidia cards the only known source for decent BIOS flashes is MacVidCards. Because on newer cards the BIOS chip isn't large enough to store the modified ROM and requires soldering. However it's a side-gig for the guy and, as you might imagine for a hobbyist BIOS-hacker, his level of aspergers is off the charts. He does a good job, but flits between 'non-responsive to emails' and 'terse rear end in a top hat' like 50Hz AC. Oh, and you might get weeks of no response to emails whilst he 'gets around to' flashing your card or sourcing a card to flash for you. There are re-sellers on eBay, which is probably a better option.

I'm not aware of any EFI BIOS for AMD cards, but then I haven't really looked into it. The reason the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse works well with MacOS is because it was the card Apple bundled up in it's eGPU dev boxes; so there is hope of an OEM solution in the not-too-distant future, though.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Theophany posted:

For nVidia cards the only known source for decent BIOS flashes is MacVidCards. Because on newer cards the BIOS chip isn't large enough to store the modified ROM and requires soldering. However it's a side-gig for the guy and, as you might imagine for a hobbyist BIOS-hacker, his level of aspergers is off the charts. He does a good job, but flits between 'non-responsive to emails' and 'terse rear end in a top hat' like 50Hz AC. Oh, and you might get weeks of no response to emails whilst he 'gets around to' flashing your card or sourcing a card to flash for you. There are re-sellers on eBay, which is probably a better option.

I'm not aware of any EFI BIOS for AMD cards, but then I haven't really looked into it. The reason the Sapphire RX 580 Pulse works well with MacOS is because it was the card Apple bundled up in it's eGPU dev boxes; so there is hope of an OEM solution in the not-too-distant future, though.

I don't do long distance relationships so that's probably out then. Can't imagine an ati 5770 is worth much at this point so I'll keep it around for emergencies. I guess the main thing with an unflashed card is that it makes switching boot devices irritating if you're running bootcamp, right? Again thanks for the informative post

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
It's definitely an annoyance if your MacOS boot volume is APFS-formatted as BootCamp doesn't 'see' APFS partitions as bootable. You can still do the keystroke method on startup, but you're doing it blind and therefore it's hit-and-miss. If the 5770 doesn't need more power than the PCI bus can provide and you've got the space, you could leave it in the Mac Pro along with a more powerful card and connect it to a different channel on your monitor. That way you can just switch the monitor input to the 5770 when you need pre-boot and leave it set to your main input the rest of the time.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Theophany posted:

It's definitely an annoyance if your MacOS boot volume is APFS-formatted as BootCamp doesn't 'see' APFS partitions as bootable.

Seriously when are they gonna get their poo poo together re: this. High Sierra has been out for almost six months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Last I checked there's no warning in the BootCamp installer that APFS is invisible either. I mean I get that it's not curtains and you can do the key combination to change boot drives, but it doesn't just work.