Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

GrAviTy84 posted:

Out of curiosity what material is your peel? I have a wood for building and transferring and an aluminum for removal. I recommend building the pizza as fast as you can once the dough hits the peel. And after each step give the peel a wiggle to make sure the pie is still loose

I assume the peel is the big wooden spoon pizza chefs use to slide the pizza into the oven, yeah? in that case, the only peel I had that was large enough to hold the pizza as I built it was a smooth plastic one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Loopoo posted:

I feel so bad right now. I wasted a tonne of ingredients on an absolute brick of a pizza that I can barely put a dent into. I also think the amount of dough I made was for two large pizzas... I turned it into one mega pizza which gave me a crust thicker than my arm.

Pizza looks easy but it's tough to get it right. But loving it up a few times teaches you what not to do, and that's invaluable. Kid at work had a bunch of poo poo come in from Amazon. Probably $90 worth of fancy pepperoni, cheese, san marzano tomatoes... I asked what he was doing, said he was making a pizza. I asked if he made them often and he said it was his first time. I told him to just use Hunt's tomato sauce and Hormel pepperonis until he gets the confidence to do one the right way so he doesn't waste his fancy ingredients. He came to work next monday with a bunch of pictures of jacked up pizzas but he started to get the hang of it after a few tries.

vermin posted:

Don't beat yourself up too bad! We've all been there! I got so angry at a cheesecake I drowned once it took months before I tried it again.

Last time I hosed up a cheesecake I angrily went back to Kroger, bought all new stuff, and stayed up till 11:00pm making it.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Gotta bake two pies for this weekend (pumpkin and strawberry rhubarb since today is strawberry rhubarb day). Wondering if anyone has little tips and tricks for making pies that recipes don't usually cover. They're for a birthday and I really want to impress.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

You should make your own pizza sauce, it's incredibly easy and you can freeze it.

I make mine with carrots, onions, celery, garlic, tinned tomatoes, oregano. Fry the first four, add the tomatoes and oregano, cook for bit, blitz, reduce, freeze by the ladleful.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

Gotta bake two pies for this weekend (pumpkin and strawberry rhubarb since today is strawberry rhubarb day). Wondering if anyone has little tips and tricks for making pies that recipes don't usually cover. They're for a birthday and I really want to impress.

Are you making your own crust? That's the hardest part of pie really.

I think having the ingredients (and everything else) cold helps, because then the fat doesn't melt and lets the crust stay flaky. There's lots of different takes on it (shortening/butter/lard, food processors, vodka instead of water), but just look for one that attempts to use cold ingredients, and minimally works the dough so it stays flaky.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scientastic posted:

You should make your own pizza sauce, it's incredibly easy and you can freeze it.

I make mine with carrots, onions, celery, garlic, tinned tomatoes, oregano. Fry the first four, add the tomatoes and oregano, cook for bit, blitz, reduce, freeze by the ladleful.

I like mine simpler and kind of chunky. Whole plum canned tomatoes. Drain off the liquid. Crush with hands. Add minced garlic, salt, and pepper.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Mine is a good way of getting secret vegetables in for the kids

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I make that onion & butter reduced tomato (pasta) sauce and add oregano.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
blend up and add sun-dried tomatoes - delicious (and pastey)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I start with a can of crushed tomatoes in a fine strainer and stir over a bowl until a lot of liquid has drained off and it is the consistency I want. Add oregano, garlic, S&P, red pepper flake and microwave for a couple minutes just to infuse the flavors a bit.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Sorry for the incoming Instant Pot shilling I'm about to force you all to witness: the IP is actually really nifty, and it's definitely one of the few kitchen gadgets that I regularly use to make my life easier. Meals get cooked in no time and turn out real delish, big blocks of frozen stuff I cooked previously gets defrosted and heated up perfectly in no time. Before the IP, I was whacking the frozen food in the oven to defrost and cook it, but it'd either dry it out, or heat up the outside and leave the inside cold, whilst also taking close to an hour or more to fully heat. Had a batch of spicy chicken curry I made 2 weeks ago and whacking it in the IP had it coming out like it was fresh in only 20 mins. I know I could be smart and just leave it in the fridge overnight to thaw, but some days I don't plan on having an emergency meal, and only decide on it at the last second. Just gotta represent how nice a gadget this is.

I also think I'm gonna channel all the enthusiasm and advice I received in this thread and tackle the pizza problem today, I gotta overcome that fear. I'm going to make the recipe using half ingredients, cause last time I had far too much dough.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

My favorite pizza sauce is the garlic dip from Papa John's.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ranch dressing and pineapple.

kidding.

Though I hold almost no shame in pizza topping territory. I personally like to make a sauce using canned fire roasted tomatoes, drained, some crushed, minced garlic, and a little red wine and reduce. Top with fresh mozz and whatever vegetables are around, I like shrooms and peppers. You do you.

I hate when goons steer things into what is/isn't pizza territory. It's a vehicle to use flat bread to use old things that would go off otherwise into going into your mouth. If that's clams and cabbage and pineapple and ranch dressing, whatever. Do it. Don't be that guy.

In regards to pies; please try using chilled lard for the crusts if you're making them from scratch. Recipes abound on Google so I won't bore you with them here, but a food processor, cold water, and cold lard, and flour and you can hammer out a pie crust easier than you're lead to believe. Good enough that people will notice and easy enough that you'll say "weren't nothing" while thumbing your overalls like a proud old farmer.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Learn from my mistake: don't add a ladle of water to a roaring pan to steam veggies, when said veggies have been generously doused in chilli flakes and cayenne pepper. It'll just about knock you on your rear end and leave you sneezing and coughing for ten mins. Entire kitchen starts making my eyes water and nose tingle when I walk into it cause all that spicy goodness is floating about.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Loopoo posted:

Learn from my mistake: don't add a ladle of water to a roaring pan to steam veggies, when said veggies have been generously doused in chilli flakes and cayenne pepper. It'll just about knock you on your rear end and leave you sneezing and coughing for ten mins. Entire kitchen starts making my eyes water and nose tingle when I walk into it cause all that spicy goodness is floating about.

Ah yes. Everyone has an aresolized capcacium story like that.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I thought to myself "I can pan fry things in my homemade scotch bonnet oil"

My wife accused me of making home brew pepper spray when I did that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Preparing horseradish in a vitamix is similarly fun.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Preparing horseradish in a vitamix is similarly fun.

Give me ways I can use my Vitamix more often. I feel like I shelled out a lot of money for a fantastic blender, but I'm not utilizing it enough to make me think "That was money well spent". Aye, smoothies are great and all, and the Vitamix makes some drat good ones (literally zero bits in it, smoothest drink ever), but I wanna know what other uses I can put it to, to feel like I didn't just throw a bunch of money away for something I rarely use.

When I was regularly weightlifting, it was a godsend, as I'd be able to throw milk, bananas, and oats into it and blitz up a perfectly smooth protein drink. But other than that, I've never really used it.

- Iced coffees
- Smoothies
- Soup

That's pretty much all I've ever used it for. I once tried wet-chopping poo poo but it turned out pretty badly.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Loopoo posted:

Give me ways I can use my Vitamix more often. I feel like I shelled out a lot of money for a fantastic blender, but I'm not utilizing it enough to make me think "That was money well spent". Aye, smoothies are great and all, and the Vitamix makes some drat good ones (literally zero bits in it, smoothest drink ever), but I wanna know what other uses I can put it to, to feel like I didn't just throw a bunch of money away for something I rarely use.

When I was regularly weightlifting, it was a godsend, as I'd be able to throw milk, bananas, and oats into it and blitz up a perfectly smooth protein drink. But other than that, I've never really used it.

- Iced coffees
- Smoothies
- Soup

That's pretty much all I've ever used it for. I once tried wet-chopping poo poo but it turned out pretty badly.

Oil + fresh herbs to get herb emulsions. Eggs + oil and optionally garlic, lemon juice, fresh herbs or spices to get home made mayo/aioli, poo poo tons of garlic + olive oil to get a true aioli. Also lots of salad dressings are emulsions where a powerful blender is useful.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

What are some relatively light but tasty salad dressings I can whip up in the Vitamix? I love salad, but I tend to eat it plain, cause I ain't ever gonna be the type of person who goes out and buys the really unhealthy store salad dressings that you can just drizzle on (I remember when I first saw one, I figured I'd buy it cause hey, easy salad dressing, but then I looked at the information on the back and one serving had an insane amount of your RDAs, from fat to salt to calories). I know dressing will always be high in that stuff, but I'd feel better knowing exactly what I put into it.

I'm not a fan of thick and creamy dressings like caesar dressing.

The herb emulsion seems like a great idea to drizzle over some salmon before I poach it.

PS: I'm sorry for posting so heavily in this thread with a heap of inane stuff, it's just you lot really got me into cooking and I've kinda become obsessed with it and it's great having near-instant feedback and tips. I'm totally taking you all for granted.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ah yes. Everyone has an aresolized capcacium story like that.

Yes, yes we do :negative:

I got very excited about blending up my own chili powder and blitzed and food processor'd up a bunch of mild chilis with a few dried hot ones and some cumin seeds until it was an ultrafine dust. My habit of taking a big sniff of whatever I am cooking/ blending etc after opening a lid did not serve me well.

I was on the floor in the fetal position crying for >10 minutes.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mine is I was candying habeneros and dumped a pot of near boiling sugar syrup onto them. The steam cloud that came out hit me in the face and left me coughing and sputtering for a good while.
For the ready of the process I had a bandana around my face like a bandito.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Loopoo posted:

What are some relatively light but tasty salad dressings I can whip up in the Vitamix? I love salad, but I tend to eat it plain

Oh god please don't just eat plain leaves gently caress

Vinaigrette:
2/3 olive oil
1/3 white wine vinegar
Add other things as they appeal

Shake in an old jam jar
Pour over salad
Toss
Toss the salad

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Loopoo posted:

What are some relatively light but tasty salad dressings [...]

I'm not a fan of thick and creamy dressings like caesar dressing.

Someone has led you astray, my friend.

Real Caeser salad dressing, while rich, shouldn't be thick and creamy like the bottled stuff.
Heavy garlic, lemon juice, Worchestershire sauce, minced anchovy fillets, raw egg yolks, olive oil. That's it.

e:

quote:

Oh god please don't just eat plain leaves gently caress
Also 'pssh please' to this. Thats fine. Stand over your plate and make direct eye contact with the nearest wall while chewing slowly and pretend to be the finest dairy cow on god's slightly now-less-green earth.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 10, 2017

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I learned the difference between parchment paper and wax paper the hard way when making candy.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I find this works best if you have a pair of strong hands massages your tests while you chew

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What can I make that's cheap and easy with bone in drumsticks? I've got like seven pounds of those things in the freezer.

I'm terrible at deboning chicken.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I keep trying to bake angel food cakes and they keep falling while baking. This last one was rising really nicely but ended up being the worst fall so far. What can I do differently?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What can I make that's cheap and easy with bone in drumsticks? I've got like seven pounds of those things in the freezer.

I'm terrible at deboning chicken.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-enchiladas-food-lab-recipe.html

This is pretty good.

Or you could do Doro Wat.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

What is it about maple syrup that makes it thicken nut butters? The first time I added some to a homemade nutella it seized up the entire batch and I couldn't process it smooth again. The next time I added just a little and it thickened it tremendously, but not to the point of being ruined.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I keep trying to bake angel food cakes and they keep falling while baking. This last one was rising really nicely but ended up being the worst fall so far. What can I do differently?

Are you sure the whites aren't over/under whipped? That's where I'd start.

Also make sure there's no oil near it when you make it, oils can lower the stability of the egg whites (and even prevent proper whipping in the first place). Recipes call for ungreased pans.

Also, you're using the special angel food cake pans right?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Eeyo posted:

Are you sure the whites aren't over/under whipped? That's where I'd start.

Also make sure there's no oil near it when you make it, oils can lower the stability of the egg whites (and even prevent proper whipping in the first place). Recipes call for ungreased pans.

Also, you're using the special angel food cake pans right?

The recipe called for hard peaks, which I had. The internet is advising soft peaks, I might try that next time. There wasn't oil anywhere near that thing and I did use a proper angel food cake pan. The problem seems to happen partway through baking.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/can-t-f-it-up-fried-chicken

Or, absent sous vide:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/07/the-food-lab-southern-fried-chicken-recipe.html

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Does anybody use plain yogurt for marinades? I've thinned some out with nice olive oil with good results on beef and chicken...just wondering if there are some good recipes/methods.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Peetown Manning posted:

Does anybody use plain yogurt for marinades? I've thinned some out with nice olive oil with good results on beef and chicken...just wondering if there are some good recipes/methods.

Tandoori recipes use yogurt as the base for the marinades.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tandoori_chicken/

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
My propane grill took 20 minutes to heat up to 200F.

Is that a low propane issue or a clean your grill you gently caress issue?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Dogwood Fleet posted:

The recipe called for hard peaks, which I had. The internet is advising soft peaks, I might try that next time. There wasn't oil anywhere near that thing and I did use a proper angel food cake pan. The problem seems to happen partway through baking.

Are you opening the oven while the cake is baking? Sudden temperature changes can cause cakes to fall if they happen at the wrong time.

I've also heard loud noises during baking can cause some more delicate cakes to fall, though I think that's probably a myth.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Dogwood Fleet posted:

What's your recipe?
Cream of tartar added to the egg whites can help stabilize them.
The loud noises thing is mostly a myth impact is more likely to knock the air out of something like an angel food cake or a souffle.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Peetown Manning posted:

The first recipe I saw yogurt marinated chicken is this, it comes out pretty tasty: http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/05/spicy-tarragon-yogurt-grilled-chicken.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

vermin posted:

My propane grill took 20 minutes to heat up to 200F.

Is that a low propane issue or a clean your grill you gently caress issue?

Pick up the tank? Get charcoal