Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

evobatman posted:

You're supposed to wear them without socks inside.

Maybe that's the idea where you're from, but not here (Finland) you're not, you put these on outside your regular socks when winter comes for additional warmth. Frankly the idea that people go around in these only is an alien concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
So… you got socks for your socks?

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
So I love Darn Tough socks, but I find them almost too warm sometimes.
Is there a lighter weight version?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

LowOnCyan posted:

So I love Darn Tough socks, but I find them almost too warm sometimes.
Is there a lighter weight version?

Yes they have lightweight ones for warmer weather. That’s what I mostly wear in Florida and they’re great in 100+ heat.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Darn Toughs have a lifetime guarantee. You can literally ship them back to the company (or take them to REI or wherever you bought them) if they ever develop holes and have the replaced.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Android Apocalypse posted:

So… you got socks for your socks?

The layering principle applies to feet too. It's so drat nice and warm during winter.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

REI 20% off Darn Tough Socks (and pretty much everything else) this weekend btw with GEARUP2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Darn tough and SmartWool are top tier picks.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

spookygonk posted:

£1340.00 for an invasive angiogram to try and find out what's up with my ticker.

Pounds? I thought you guys had free healthcare?

I guess that's still better than sitting in an ER waiting room for seven hours, deciding to leave and just bleed out in the comfort of your own home, and then getting a 700$ bill in the mail for sitting in the waiting room.

travisray2004 posted:

I'm in the same boat rn. Thinking of getting the Shun 6pc set or possibly just buying separately. How do you like the knives?

Quite a lot! They've held an edge for a stupidly long time and cutting is pretty effortless with stuff like tomatoes and peppers. I recently sharpened our victorinox knives with waterblock stones, and even then the pressure to cut waxy skins with those is noticeably more than with the Shun knives, and the edge doesn't last very long. 10/10

I especially like the smaller paring knife, it's super handy. There's not enough things like this where it will be the last one I ever buy.

We also bought a magnetic wooden knife block and it's been fantastic for storing them

ReidRansom posted:

I bought a bunch of socks lately. My new goto brand is Darn Tough. All wool, made in Vermont, good stuff.

Darn Toughs are hands down the best socks. Merino wool anything is just the best fabric. Breathable, odor resistant, tough, and regulates body temp well. I just recently got some all birds and who'd have thought, wool even makes good shoes!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Bottom Liner posted:

REI 20% off Darn Tough Socks (and pretty much everything else) this weekend btw with GEARUP2021

Oh poo poo, thanks for this. I've been eyeing some things and I'd rather buy here than at Jeff's Emporium of Crap.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Darn Toughs are hands down the best socks. Merino wool anything is just the best fabric. Breathable, odor resistant, tough, and regulates body temp well. I just recently got some all birds and who'd have thought, wool even makes good shoes!

100% merino is actually pretty fragile compared to even cotton, but a ~30% blend with nylon like Darn Tough makes it nearly perfect. I have a few full merino pieces of clothing and the thinner stuff is great but far from durable for every day wear.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Are Darn Tough socks better than Smartwool socks?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

owl_pellet posted:

Are Darn Tough socks better than Smartwool socks?

I think so. Smartwools are still pretty good but they don't last as long and don't come in as many varieties.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Bottom Liner posted:

I think so. Smartwools are still pretty good but they don't last as long and don't come in as many varieties.

Agreed. Also, I feel like darn tough’s socks are more comfortable to wear for long periods than my comparable smart wool socks. Still, I like a lot of smartwool’s products, particularly their 150/250 weight base layers; highly recommend if you are searching for something to use a 20% coupon on

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

On sock chat - if you're looking for something synthetic/vegan/not wool that also lasts forever and performs really well check out Balega.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I guess that's still better than sitting in an ER waiting room for seven hours, deciding to leave and just bleed out in the comfort of your own home, and then getting a 700$ bill in the mail for sitting in the waiting room.

The NHS is practically privatised at this point for most major procedures, dentistry especially is subsidised but it still costs money to go to the dentist here and has for a while now.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

handheld retro emulator that can handle anything up to PSP, including PS1 and N64. it was designed with assistance from the folks at 8bitdo and it's working, honestly, far better than i expected. struggles a little with particle effects on PSP stuff, but that's the only hiccup i have met with it so far. super satisfied, would buy again.

https://retromimi.com/collections/handhelds/products/pocketgo-s30?aff=110

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

OSU_Matthew posted:

NHS waiting lists are even longer due to pretty much all procedures and surgeries being postponed due to covid (and also brexit), so I opted for the private route. Have medical insurance that paid for all consultations and diagnostics, but the angiogram is classed as an operation and that's not covered. Does mean tests are run in a couple of weeks rather than 6 months.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Trabant posted:

Wash your dang feet son, come on.

But that's the thing about Glerups: they're so durable that they're no longer a disposable good. Eventually they'll wear out, of course, but you're probably looking at two years or more of continuous use before they do. And for many people, they're just excellent slippers throughout that time.

(I may be biased because I feel responsible for having given some goons the Glerups suggestion in the first place, but there are others in the $50-75 range which are apparently good.)

It's really a "buy once, cry once" thing, kind of how it works for shoes and boots in general.

Thanks for suggesting Glerups. I’m a fan of Haflinger slippers as well.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I'm glad to see so many other strong recommendations for Darn Tough.

amenenema posted:

On sock chat - if you're looking for something synthetic/vegan/not wool that also lasts forever and performs really well check out Balega.

Is wool not considered acceptable for vegans? Like, if you get your wool from good places, it's basically as harmless as you can get with animal industry. And sheep kinda basically need to be shorn regularly for their health. I get that's humanity's fault for breeding super wooly sheep that constantly need shearing, but it's the case and they exist so they must be shorn. And most places they raise them they have pretty much free reign to go where they want and do what they please save for an occasional roundup for shearing and marking new babbies.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Yeah, it's animal abuse to NOT sheer them. Coats can get too thick as to be actively harmful to the sheep. Similarly, honey is also very benign, they bees choose to live in a place where they get protection and food, and can leave whenever they want, and no bees are harmed in the process.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Some vegans believe that animal husbandry in any way shape or form is wrong. Some also don't think you should own pets.

I also just bought my first Darn Tough socks (mostly used smart wool before) and they are pretty nice. I need to find lower weigth ones though because those I bought are a bit too thick for everyday indoor use.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Picked up a Cotopaxi Teca Calido Hooded Jacket.
It packs down really well and keeps me at the right level of warmth. It's also reversable.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

OniPanda posted:

Yeah, it's animal abuse to NOT sheer them. Coats can get too thick as to be actively harmful to the sheep. Similarly, honey is also very benign, they bees choose to live in a place where they get protection and food, and can leave whenever they want, and no bees are harmed in the process.

Same with cows, if you don't milk dairy cattle it causes udder injuries and eventually could result in death. A lot of dairy operations have automated milking machines, and the cows just line up on their own to get milked because it's enjoyable for them. Like I get that it's problematic we bred cattle to be this way, but it's a symbiotic relationship without which they wouldn't exist :(

Personally I'm just really excited for petri dish lab grown clean meat. Get that perfect wagyu marbling without the ethical conundrum or environmental impact

mystes
May 31, 2006

OSU_Matthew posted:

Same with cows, if you don't milk dairy cattle it causes udder injuries and eventually could result in death. A lot of dairy operations have automated milking machines, and the cows just line up on their own to get milked because it's enjoyable for them. Like I get that it's problematic we bred cattle to be this way, but it's a symbiotic relationship without which they wouldn't exist :(
Don't dairy farmers have to do stuff to ensure that the cows continue to produce milk all the time which wouldn't normally be the case?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

OniPanda posted:

honey is also very benign, they bees choose to live in a place where they get protection and food, and can leave whenever they want

lmao imagine if bees were just like "no thanks" one day, and bailed

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Mister Speaker posted:

so long and thanks for all the flowers

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mister Speaker posted:

They can and do, it's called swarming. Sometimes it's because the hive is overpopulated so they literally split and one half just takes off and finds another place. Other times there's something they don't like (available food, humans poking in, parasites, etc) so they peace out.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Flying to Atlanta in 2 weeks to see my best friend as well as 2 nights of these guys.

Both ATL shows were incredible, seeing them again in March! been on a Goose merch binge since the shows.

show poster:

Goose xmas ornament

Yeti jacket

yeti sticker

goose shirt

goose beanie

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I see you like chickens

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

you should write scripts for hollywood

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Tunicate posted:

you should write scripts for hollywood

That's the life. Just doing lines of coke off a manuscript labeled "Plan Bee" or some poo poo in the Pixar front offices.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

mystes posted:

Don't dairy farmers have to do stuff to ensure that the cows continue to produce milk all the time which wouldn't normally be the case?

No, they all have a two month dry period at the end of each pregnancy. Cows naturally peak in milk production about 2-4 months into a lactation, then gradually drop as they get further along in pregnancy. Depending on the individual cow, they can actually continue to produce at a pretty high rate for a long time if they aren't pregnant; they basically redirect energy to feeding the fetus instead of making milk as required.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

An isolation transformer of decent size, for testing devices with an oscilloscope primarily:

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

I finally did it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

PleasusChrist posted:

I finally did it.

Noice.

We love ours so far.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

PleasusChrist posted:

I finally did it.

What is this, a fancy drip maker? Is it really worth it vs my $40 Hamilton beach? Asking sincerely, as I am always pro-better coffee as long as I don’t have to clean out my French press every morning.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Forza Horizon 5 ultimate edition because racing is fun and cars are cool and good.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

What is this, a fancy drip maker? Is it really worth it vs my $40 Hamilton beach? Asking sincerely, as I am always pro-better coffee as long as I don’t have to clean out my French press every morning.

I am struggling with the fact that I want a fancy moccamaster sort of thing but it doesn't have timer-on like my $40 Hamilton Beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Yes, its worth it if you can swing it - but you should also be getting a burr grinder (iirc the cheapest one worth getting is the Baratza Encore at ~$110) to go with it so you're actually brewing fresh coffee and not preground stale beans.