Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011

3peat posted:

My nexus 5 is falling apart so I looked up what's the best under $200 phone right now and ordered a xiaomi RN4X; can't wait not having to recharge during the day, that xiaomi supposedly does 14hr screen on time
Also after 10+ yrs of black phones I wanted something else, and got this model
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORvFVkDqFKI
...thankfully only the box seems to be "artistic"

I've been looking at the Redmi Note 4 for a while. It is a killer in the budget segment, but what's holding me back is that over time Xiaomi changed it's suppliers for ever cheaper components. If you bought this Phone at release you had to pay 30 bucks more and got a Sony sensor (same as in LG G6), a solid display and an all around good experience.

After a few month when the reviews were done they changed the sensor for a worse Samsung one, and now you get an even worse Omnivision sensor.
And if you are unlucky they give you a display with motion blur nowadays. link
I would pay more for the better components, but it's too much of a lottery for me.

btw: I miss your posts about Romania in D&D

edit: Check this out, it has been reported to work on RN4 as well with the right sensor.

Welsh Rarebitch fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3peat
May 6, 2010

Welsh Rarebitch posted:

I've been looking at the Redmi Note 4 for a while. It is a killer in the budget segment, but what's holding me back is that over time Xiaomi changed it's suppliers for ever cheaper components. If you bought this Phone at release you had to pay 30 bucks more and got a Sony sensor (same as in LG G6), a solid display and an all around good experience.

After a few month when the reviews were done they changed the sensor for a worse Samsung one, and now you get an even worse Omnivision sensor.
And if you are unlucky they give you a display with motion blur nowadays. link
I would pay more for the better components, but it's too much of a lottery for me.

btw: I miss your posts about Romania in D&D

I don't care about the camera since I only use my phone for internet and phonecalls, but the display stuff seems concerning. Otoh people on local forums who have the note 4x seem extremely happy with it, so I hope the models we're getting in the shops here are the good kind. Otherwise I can always return it, tho there's nothing else at this price worth buying (the likes of moto g5+ or lenovo p2 are over 50% more expensive here)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pixel 2 (non-xl) hit the FCC today. Squeezable sides confirmed in screenshots as is 64gb storage.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/08/15/google-pixel-2-hit-fcc-today-reveals-ton-phone/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Squeezable sides confirmed

:ssj:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Just think. When you clench your fist in anger, you can also snap a selfie!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Welsh Rarebitch posted:

I've been looking at the Redmi Note 4 for a while.

I think the only thing more confusing than a totally different company having a "Note 4" is that Samsung apparently already has a tablet called the "Note 8.0"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, Samsung should use this opportunity to pivot on the name to the successor to the Note 7 and call it the Galaxy Notate. Then they can start counting upwards again and leave the tainted branding behind.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, Samsung should use this opportunity to pivot on the name to the successor to the Note 7 and call it the Galaxy Notate. Then they can start counting upwards again and leave the tainted branding behind.

Just needs an extra letter; the Samsung Galaxy SL8 :rimshot:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Is xiaomi the company that doesn't even ship their phones with the Play Store installed?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

looks that way from googling. It's easy to install tho

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

bull3964 posted:

Pixel 2 (non-xl) hit the FCC today. Squeezable sides confirmed in screenshots as is 64gb storage.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/08/15/google-pixel-2-hit-fcc-today-reveals-ton-phone/

This pretty much confirmed the Pixel 2 is basically a u11 with a slight chassis change.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

nerdrum posted:

This pretty much confirmed the Pixel 2 is basically a u11 with a slight chassis change.

At least the U11 is a pretty dang good phone. Pixelation should make it even better.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
I wonder what we'll learn about the XL when that drops, like, tomorrow.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Mental Hospitality posted:

At least the U11 is a pretty dang good phone. Pixelation should make it even better.

I've been using one for two weeks and after installing the pixel camera, I honestly can't say I have a single issue with it and I use the dumb loving squeeze thing at least 2,000,000% more than I was expecting to.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

nerdrum posted:

I've been using one for two weeks and after installing the pixel camera, I honestly can't say I have a single issue with it and I use the dumb loving squeeze thing at least 2,000,000% more than I was expecting to.

How do you install outside .apks to a phone? I saw that on AndroidPolice, but I've uh, never not used the Play Store for apps. :shobon:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

How do you install outside .apks to a phone? I saw that on AndroidPolice, but I've uh, never not used the Play Store for apps. :shobon:

Download them, run them. Easy as that.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Is xiaomi the company that doesn't even ship their phones with the Play Store installed?

A whole bunch of Chinese companies do this as Google services are illegal in China.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Download them, run them. Easy as that.

Well, there's my problem; I never use Chrome for anything but unknown foods at the local asian mart.

Doesn't support the G6's wide angle lens. Taking a pic in darkness with the flash took a good two, maybe three seconds to complete.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 16, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nerdrum posted:

'Slight'?

The screen is a full half inch smaller and the camera module, fingerprint sensor, and speakers are in different places. That pretty much means a completely different mainboard arrangement inside.

So.. i guess they share the same SoC at least.

3peat
May 6, 2010

I think that's the case in China, here in Europe they come with play store, Google apps and local languages like any other phone

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Provided they iron out the structural problems of the U11.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Emails for the Essential phone went out promising shipping within a week. Reviewers also apparently got their own already. I'm thinking that other than in design, it's not going to blow anybody's mind

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

logikv9 posted:

Emails for the Essential phone went out promising shipping within a week. Reviewers also apparently got their own already. I'm thinking that other than in design, it's not going to blow anybody's mind

Only the black phones are shipping within the week. The white phone are still a "couple weeks" out, and since it's essential, who knows.

Still gonna get one instead of the Pixel, I think. At least if it reviews well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Nokia 8 event is today in London but every site seems to already know all the information about it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Oh, man, I totally forgot this thread exists!

I've had my Nexus 5 for almost 2 1/2 years, and now that I'm off my contract (Virgin Mobile in Canada), I've started to notice that 13GB isn't enough for music and podcasts, the battery isn't holding its charge as well as it used to, and it has a tendency to slow down (I play Pokemon Go on it, but it can't be that bad).

I'm looking at getting a new one with (maybe) a new plan from Virgin Mobile. The ones I'm stuck between are either Samsung Galaxy series or any decent LG. Most of them now seem to offer MicroSD slots (so memory issues aren't a factor), so I'm really just worried about battery and performance. I don't need the latest ones, but I don't mind paying a few hundred bucks with a new plan.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey guys, I’ve got a problem as the family Tech Guy who knows nothing about current Android phones, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Any suggestions for a sub-$100 smartphone to be used on US Cellular? They just want to make phone calls, send texts, and use the camera (currently using a 2010-era point and shoot camera, so quality isn’t a huge issue I don’t think). Maaaybe stream Pandora while on WiFi and a few other basic things, but probably not. Being restricted to 3G speeds if necessary would be ok.

Moto E? Moto X? I seem to remember people saying to stay away from LG, but ... well I’m completely out of the Android loop.

Edit: crap I forgot about the recommend me a phone thread, sorry.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

I've had my Nexus 5 for almost 2 1/2 years, and now that I'm off my contract (Virgin Mobile in Canada), I've started to notice that 13GB isn't enough for music and podcasts, the battery isn't holding its charge as well as it used to, and it has a tendency to slow down (I play Pokemon Go on it, but it can't be that bad).

I'm looking at getting a new one with (maybe) a new plan from Virgin Mobile. The ones I'm stuck between are either Samsung Galaxy series or any decent LG. Most of them now seem to offer MicroSD slots (so memory issues aren't a factor), so I'm really just worried about battery and performance. I don't need the latest ones, but I don't mind paying a few hundred bucks with a new plan.

Use Google music and put your stuff in the cloud (sd cards are bad), enjoy never running out of space again.

And get a pixel.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Hey guys, I’ve got a problem as the family Tech Guy who knows nothing about current Android phones, and would appreciate any suggestions.

Any suggestions for a sub-$100 smartphone to be used on US Cellular? They just want to make phone calls, send texts, and use the camera (currently using a 2010-era point and shoot camera, so quality isn’t a huge issue I don’t think). Maaaybe stream Pandora while on WiFi and a few other basic things, but probably not. Being restricted to 3G speeds if necessary would be ok.

Moto E? Moto X? I seem to remember people saying to stay away from LG, but ... well I’m completely out of the Android loop.

Edit: crap I forgot about the recommend me a phone thread, sorry.

A 2010 point and shoot camera is going to take better pictures than a 2017 budge phone.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
First look of the essential until the 25th? They're asking you to have a lot of faith on a phone that apparently doesn't have as good specs as the one plus

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

While I would agree that they should get review units or before people plunk down money, I would sooner choose a box that has a 40% chance of having a dead skunk in it than purchase a OnePlus.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

So I decided I couldn't deal with my 6p dying at 60% battery anymore and decided to grab a $200-off Pixel XL and sell the RMA replacement 6p. There's really nothing to say about the Pixel that hasn't been said here countless times, (it really is shockingly fast holy poo poo) but I felt I needed to point out one very important thing:

The buttons are clicky as fuuuuuuuck. Like I would never ever have believed that a phone could have such satisfyingly clicky buttons. Suck it, that one dude. :smugdog:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Mogomra posted:

I just need a cable that I can put in my carry-on bag that I can use to charge and transfer files when I need it. Perhaps 3.1 isn't even going to make a difference? I don't know.

I spent a bunch of time on this last weekend looking through spreadsheets and Benson reviews. USB 3 cables seem to cap out at 1m long. Maybe that's just the physical limit for that signal over this medium. All the 2m cables I found from reputable brands were USB 2.

I ended up getting a 1m USB 3 cable for transferring files to my Pixel. I compared it against a 2m USB 2 and the file transfer speed is actually much faster. So it does make a difference if you're transferring large files often.

For charging, I believe the USB spec matters less or maybe not at all. Just grab the 2m Anker with a billion reviews on Amazon.

I can link the specific cables I bought when I get home, if you like.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mojo1701a posted:

The answer is either the G5+ with 4GB of RAM (I think that's available in Canada, it's $240 here in the US with ads from Amazon) or the Pixel which is currently being clearanced and surely cheap where you are. I went from a Nexus 5 to a Pixel XL personally and I'll tell you now the Pixel will blow your dick out through your eyeballs with how good it is.

I can't speak to Canadian plans unfortunately.

Theris posted:

So I decided I couldn't deal with my 6p dying at 60% battery anymore and decided to grab a $200-off Pixel XL and sell the RMA replacement 6p. There's really nothing to say about the Pixel that hasn't been said here countless times, (it really is shockingly fast holy poo poo) but I felt I needed to point out one very important thing:

The buttons are clicky as fuuuuuuuck. Like I would never ever have believed that a phone could have such satisfyingly clicky buttons. Suck it, that one dude. :smugdog:

It's been nine months for me and I'm still amazed with how good the Pixel is. I know there are cheaper options that are good but after having a Pixel there's no way I'd try anything else.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RZA Encryption posted:

A 2010 point and shoot camera is going to take better pictures than a 2017 budge phone.
Noted, thanks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ColdPie posted:

I spent a bunch of time on this last weekend looking through spreadsheets and Benson reviews. USB 3 cables seem to cap out at 1m long. Maybe that's just the physical limit for that signal over this medium. All the 2m cables I found from reputable brands were USB 2.

I'm pretty sure that with those fast speeds, anything over 1m is going to need thicker wires, which means thicker cables and probably different connectors. That may even lead to new tooling. Your costs start adding up quickly.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Calaveron posted:

First look of the essential until the 25th? They're asking you to have a lot of faith on a phone that apparently doesn't have as good specs as the one plus

As One Plus has proved, specs don't mean a whole lot above a certain point.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

LastInLine posted:

The answer is either the G5+ with 4GB of RAM (I think that's available in Canada, it's $240 here in the US with ads from Amazon) or the Pixel which is currently being clearanced and surely cheap where you are. I went from a Nexus 5 to a Pixel XL personally and I'll tell you now the Pixel will blow your dick out through your eyeballs with how good it is.

I can't speak to Canadian plans unfortunately.

It's been nine months for me and I'm still amazed with how good the Pixel is. I know there are cheaper options that are good but after having a Pixel there's no way I'd try anything else.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to have the Pixel, but the LG G6 is only $100 for a gold plan ($5 more/mo for two years compared to $620 at silver) looks good to me. I'll see if I can get it online. My last phone and plan was done at Best Buy, and I don't think they have the complete selection there.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, the Pixel discount on the Google store is over, I tried it the other day and was rudely surprised my order was the full $870. Now they're just offering the free Daydream which :lol:. So, if you want a Pixel, I'd say wait, watch like a hawk, and jump on the deal the moment it pops up, cause drat that was quick.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The answer is either the G5+ with 4GB of RAM (I think that's available in Canada, it's $240 here in the US with ads from Amazon)

G5+ isn't available here :( What I'd recommend the person does is order it in the US and ship to an address there. There's a ton of cross border parcel services that we use regularly for this kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Yeah, the Pixel discount on the Google store is over, I tried it the other day and was rudely surprised my order was the full $870. Now they're just offering the free Daydream which :lol:. So, if you want a Pixel, I'd say wait, watch like a hawk, and jump on the deal the moment it pops up, cause drat that was quick.
Phoneposting or I'd check but take a look at the Project Fi site; I ordered my XL from the Google Store last week but I remember looking at them too and I think they were offering the $200 off but not the free Daydream and it said the deal would run into September with the same caveat they had on the cheap 5Xs and 6Ps that you try Fi for a month or whatever but it's not like an onerous contract.