Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I would fix it myself personally, you can YouTube how to do it and the tools and parts will cost significantly less than that estimate, especially since you take the front brakes off to do the front bearings (though this sounds more like a CV shaft or balljoint to me, I'd have to hear it on video or in person to be sure) so you just put the new brake parts on instead of the old ones when you put it back together after the bearings.

I would ignore the rear bumper unless it's causing legal issues as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

How many miles are on it? Would love to see a few pictures.

What does the rest of the underside look like? Clean? a little rusty here & there? Breakfast sausage? If it's at '03-4Runner in the rust department (i.e. totally hosed), then you may be throwing good money after bad.

Wheel bearing failure starts quiet & works up to a raspy, sliding metallic noise, worse on the outside wheel on a turn, then progresses to rumbling intermittently then constantly, followed by Fat Lady, after which it'll get super-jello-like before your wheel parts company.

Turning hard to the left & the right producing grinding or clicking noises: those are your axle bearings singing their swan song.

Brakes / pads, on application, will make a whooshing to grinding noise, then evolve to a roar. May or may not pulse the steering wheel. Toyota makes some robust-rear end brakes.

Where are you? Replacing the axles, hubs and shoes are a material cost of some $500 and with a bit of help, a newbie can do it over a longish Saturday. Then you'll need a front-end alignment.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

wesleywillis posted:

My work has some stuff with deutsch connectors that use that crimper. Also some release tools that you might want to consider for removing pins from the connector itself.
While such a crimper is good and the poo poo works very well, its also super annoying and complicated. I fuckin hate that thing.

Its probably not the best idea, but I've foregone crimping those things in the past by putting the wire in the pin and dripping some solder in the back hole.

That might be the redneck solution though, but it still works to this day. (10+ years later)

no no no no aaaaa

what dont you like about it? ive made up a bunch of deutsch stuff using the below crimper, which is pretty similar, and it was pretty nice!

ryanrs posted:

I heard the Deutsch HDT-48-00 crimper is super loving nice. But is it $343 nice?

I don't think this project has enough crimps to amortize that kind of capital investment, alas.

imo get a cheap used/surplus AF8/TH1A, which will do deutsch size 12 and 16 for the usual MIL-DTL-26482 connectors, and as a bonus they'll also do size 20 (machined pin non-high-density d-sub). more flexible than that one, and since they're a lot more popular you can actually find them used.

not sure what to recommend if you need to do size 8, though.

NinjaPablo
Nov 20, 2003

Ewww it's all sticky...
Grimey Drawer
2014 Dodge Journey, 91k on it in the rust belt. I recently moved, and had it into a new shop for some brake work I wasn't comfortable handling myself. They did the repairs for a reasonable price, and gave it a once-over. Came back with a couple recommendations.

They have 'replace both front lower control arms/balljoint assemblies, rear bushings worn out' and 'replace front struts, strut mounts, and front sway links. right front leaking, left front very rusty'

Outside of a bit rougher of a ride and some creaking noises on bumpy roads, I haven't noticed any issues. Would these fall into a 'fix it now', 'wait until your tax refund', or 'screw it, drive it into the ground' category? Only other issue I've had was a wheel bearing going out at around 60k which seems early.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

NinjaPablo posted:

2014 Dodge Journey, 91k on it in the rust belt. I recently moved, and had it into a new shop for some brake work I wasn't comfortable handling myself. They did the repairs for a reasonable price, and gave it a once-over. Came back with a couple recommendations.

They have 'replace both front lower control arms/balljoint assemblies, rear bushings worn out' and 'replace front struts, strut mounts, and front sway links. right front leaking, left front very rusty'

Outside of a bit rougher of a ride and some creaking noises on bumpy roads, I haven't noticed any issues. Would these fall into a 'fix it now', 'wait until your tax refund', or 'screw it, drive it into the ground' category? Only other issue I've had was a wheel bearing going out at around 60k which seems early.

How rusty is it generally and how long do you plan to keep it?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wait until tax refund unless it starts making noise. Especially creaking from the ball joints. Then its NOW

NinjaPablo
Nov 20, 2003

Ewww it's all sticky...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks. I'd like to get another 2 years out of it if possible. Overall it isn't that rusty for Michigan, I've had much worse.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Texas specific question.

I sold a car a few months ago and i'm now getting toll bills for it.
I'm currently on hold with the toll authority for about an hour, is there anything else I should be doing?

I DID fill out the "Vehicle transfer notification" with the state online when I sold it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hope you printed a copy. Which toll authority is it? Also, the ability of toll authorities in Texas ends at sending threatening sounding letters and putting a block on the registration (so it can't be renewed) - they can't send you to collections or anything like that. NTTA might put your name on dallascounty.org (they run a "Dallas County most wanted" website for toll offenders and DART fare evaders :rolleyes:), but it doesn't turn up on any background checks.

Next time, keep the plates, and print a temporary transit permit with their info. They can then drive it to the tax office and get a 30 day permit if they don't want to register it immediately (but why the gently caress not, aside from not having the money for the taxes right away? you need a current inspection and insurance to get the 30 day anyway).

NTTA shenanigans:

(that car was scrapped a long time ago, they finally stopped sending letters about 6 months ago - and that was originally for about $50 worth of tolls)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 5, 2022

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

STR posted:

Hope you printed a copy. Which toll authority is it? Also, the ability of toll authorities in Texas ends at sending threatening sounding letters and putting a block on the registration (so it can't be renewed) - they can't send you to collections or anything like that.

It's central Texas/Austin. I am in NTTA land.

The only thing I'm worried about is they said they were going to report it to my credit.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

NinjaPablo posted:

Thanks. I'd like to get another 2 years out of it if possible. Overall it isn't that rusty for Michigan, I've had much worse.

Might not hurt to get a good second opinion. Im sure it was a nice bill, but you do not want to put off those things too long.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nitrogen posted:

It's central Texas/Austin. I am in NTTA land.

The only thing I'm worried about is they said they were going to report it to my credit.

Sup fellow Austin goon? Austin is TxTag and CTRMA land depending on the highway; DFW is mostly NTTA (North Texas Toll Authority), with a sliver of TxTag (635 Toll and a couple of other roads I can't remember; it's been over 4 years since I left DFW). But ultimately you're going to be dealing with whatever toll authority issued the violations. If you're getting bills from NTTA, then whoever you sold the car to is driving it around DFW.

TxTag in my experience is easier to deal with than NTTA (but a lot more incompetent, if that makes sense), more because TxTag knows they hosed the pooch royally with their new :perfect: billing system that they still haven't been able to fix. I'm still getting bills from TxTag for whoever stole my plates 2 years ago, despite the plates being reported as stolen, and the car they belonged to to not even being in my name anymore. It's always a "okay, I'm trying to be polite, but I keep getting bills for plates that got stolen 2 years ago, here's the police report # again" call that wipes the charges out pretty quick.

NTTA definitely doesn't report to credit, at least under several thousand (they say they will, but they haven't put anything on my credit in over 10 years, and I gave up on paying them when they kept adding bullshit fees to bills I'd already paid). They might send it to a third party debt collector, but AFAIK they stopped putting stuff on credit in 2010 or so. Call them and tell them you sold the car, tell them you reported the sale to the state, and if you have it, give them the buyer's info.

e: ugh, speaking of, just checked CTRMA's website to see if I had a balance due (they haven't been billing my txtag), and yup, $135. :smith: I need to watch my CC statements a bit closer to make sure autopay is working, it looks like txtag cancelled it once again.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 6, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I've sold probably three dozen cars over the years. While folks have left their tags on cars that I have bought, I have never left my tags on a car. And this is in Pennsylvania & New Jersey, where there really isn't a down-side.

I also create 2-copies of a dated bill of sale that we both have to sign. Nowadays, I can make one & take photos of the completed & signed document with the phone, along with the filled-out title (usually do not date the title to give the new buyer some leeway on getting it transferred)

Now that EZ-Pass is doing the tag ID thing at the spot of the toll here, it reinforces that as good practice.

But I don't know about Texas - do the tags follow the vehicle?

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 6, 2022

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

STR posted:

Sup fellow Austin goon? Austin

I'm actually in North Texas, the buyer is in CTMA areas, but yeah, CTMA is the primary dudes i was on hold with for an hour and gave up on.
Now that I know they megafucked people with their billing system, I know why.

PainterofCrap posted:

But I don't know about Texas - do the tags follow the vehicle?

Texas gives you the choice. I had no idea how to properly do the "keep your tags and do a temp permit" thing before then, but i'll definitely do it next time. Oopsie.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

nitrogen posted:

Texas gives you the choice. I had no idea how to properly do the "keep your tags and do a temp permit" thing before then, but i'll definitely do it next time. Oopsie.

Every time I've sold a car, it's been a "keep your tags and the buyer figures out how to get it home" situation. usually just by riding dirty that's usually what I do when I buy a car private party too

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Safety Dance posted:

Every time I've sold a car, it's been a "keep your tags and the buyer figures out how to get it home" situation. usually just by riding dirty that's usually what I do when I buy a car private party too

In NYS you are legally allowed to drive the car home directly from where you bought it. Won't stop a cop from sniffing around but I've done it many times the last few years and never been even the slightest bit scrutinized.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I got stopped in god knows where rural carolinas around midnight and they let me go once I produced an out of state signed title + airport parking bill for 21 days of parking, despite having one headlight and one taillight working

:toot:

Up until that point the cop was 100% convinced I was an unshaven cracked out meth head that had just stolen farmer joes dad's car from the barn and I was definitely going to jail

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 6, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I had a cop stop me at a DUI checkpoint for having a cardboard "TAG APPLIED FOR" plate, but he told me to move along because a firetruck needed to get through.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

In NYS you are legally allowed to drive the car home directly from where you bought it. Won't stop a cop from sniffing around but I've done it many times the last few years and never been even the slightest bit scrutinized.

How does this work in terms of insurance that you haven't bought yet for that car? What happens if you hit someone? Or does insurance get tied to the person not the vehicle in the states?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

How does this work in terms of insurance that you haven't bought yet for that car? What happens if you hit someone? Or does insurance get tied to the person not the vehicle in the states?

In PA at least any vehicle you buy is automatically on your insurance and you have 48? (I think) hours to notify them. If you did not already have an auto insurance policy you would absolutely be running around without insurance.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can (in Texas at least) insure any car so long as you have the VIN; when you finance a car you're required to insure it first before they'll clear the loan

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I got a real quick one. 2005 expedition. I FINALLY after four years dove into the vacuum lines that the PO hosed up (this suffered from the 'only air through floor and defrost' problem), and now have all vent controls working. HOWEVER now that the a/c's hooked up and blasting me in the face with frosty goodness, I've got this one, tiny tiny (one of those 3/16", sort of hard plastic, not flexy rubber) vac lines that appears to be going down to a very similar path that the 4wd vacuum line takes. I saw a reference to this being a vent tube for the hub locks; does that track? I'm just worried that it needs to be hooked up somewhere, but according to this diagram the left and right hubs tee off of a single line lower down, so I do think it's the vent (probably up there to keep water out?)

e: I did go out in my gravel driveway and launched a couple times, 2wd and 4x4 High. Was definitely working on the latter attempt, so I think I am okay. Would love a confirm from an 00's ford genius though.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 6, 2022

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

In CO you can at least drive a vehicle home on the weekend without registration if you buy it on the weekend because all the offices are closed.

E: Also, yes, you generally can insure a vehicle without proof of ownership for the insurance company. You even need proof of insurance to register the vehicle.

I bought a car from someone who just moved from Ohio and the VIN inspection the cops did asked about the previous plates, not sure if that's optional since I know generally the plates aren't supposed to go with the car in Colorado. I had a roommate who apparently never bothered to change the plates after he bought a truck and when his crazy methhead ex stole it and crashed it he got a ticket for not having updated the plates.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Every time I've sold a car I've either taken the plates off, or told them they had till that evening to get it home and then I was cancelling the plates, or the plates were already expired by a year or more and I told them for their sake I strongly recommended running their own plates on it but I was going to "forget" to remove my expired plates and they could make their own choices in life.

That last one was wild. Guy bought my M54A2 and drove a deafeningly loud, camo painted, 24 foot long military truck weighing 10 tons home through two states wearing plates from 3000 miles away that expired two years earlier. I have no idea how he didn't get arrested.

So far so good on not getting any toll bills from buyers.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I forgot to take plates off a $200 '79 cutlass and a year and a half later got notification that my car was impounded pursuant to a federal drug investigation.

they actually fixed that piece of poo poo up and were using it to run crack between memphis and little rock.

Shoulda realized something was up when they showed up with a dolly being pulled by a brand new Escalade

One "oops forgot to take the plate off, here's the bill of sale, long gone" letter and it was all cleared up. for me at least

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think in Texas the plates convey with the car?

Bunch of classic cars with the original 19XX plates. Texas used to have white on black plates back in the 50s and 60s so there's a bunch of black 60s mustangs and black classic trucks running around with original grandfathered white on black plates

Now white on black is a custom plate so it's less rare but they look different

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah this is very much a state-by-state issue. CA plates stay with the car, AZ plates stay with the owner, but oddly enough I've only once bought from a private seller and had them take the plate off before I got the car. I've always taken the plate off every time before I sell it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

I got a real quick one. 2005 expedition. I FINALLY after four years dove into the vacuum lines that the PO hosed up (this suffered from the 'only air through floor and defrost' problem), and now have all vent controls working. HOWEVER now that the a/c's hooked up and blasting me in the face with frosty goodness, I've got this one, tiny tiny (one of those 3/16", sort of hard plastic, not flexy rubber) vac lines that appears to be going down to a very similar path that the 4wd vacuum line takes. I saw a reference to this being a vent tube for the hub locks; does that track? I'm just worried that it needs to be hooked up somewhere, but according to this diagram the left and right hubs tee off of a single line lower down, so I do think it's the vent (probably up there to keep water out?)

e: I did go out in my gravel driveway and launched a couple times, 2wd and 4x4 High. Was definitely working on the latter attempt, so I think I am okay. Would love a confirm from an 00's ford genius though.

It's vacuum locking hubs. They're also vented hence what you're seeing in the fiche'
Under vacuum they freewheel. no vacuum they engage.

Read more about how it works here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OK cool. I was vaguely aware of how IWEs work. i'm just nervous about that tube but i'm 99% sure it's the vent. I am good! thanks much

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Pursuant to license plate chat, I have an easy question. I recently had to swap mine after importing my car and titling / registering it in my state. The bolts for the back plate were pretty rusty and gave me a bad time. This same issue came up back when I bought the car from the previous owner. As I remember, we had to remove the old plates and surrender them at the motor vehicle office to complete the transfer paperwork, and we couldn't do it with the tools the seller had with them. We ended up using tin snips to cut the plate off and got some weird looks for turning in a mangled plate, and I drove my car to a buddy's house on the temp plate to borrow a socket wrench to get the bolt out and install my new plates.

What can I do to make it easier to remove the bolts the next time I need to change the plates? If it matters, there's no bracket for mounting the plate. The bolts screw directly into mounting holes on the trunk lid (bolt-washer-plate-rubber shim-mounting hole).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Replace the bolts, should be fine for another 20 years

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Carry the tool you need to loosen the bolts I think. An appropriately sized wrench might be easy and cheap enough. Unless Im missing something.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Also, put some oil or anti-sieze on them.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

nitsuga posted:

Carry the tool you need to loosen the bolts I think. An appropriately sized wrench might be easy and cheap enough. Unless I’m missing something.

Yeah, it sounds like you were eventually able to get the bolt out fine with a socket wrench, so next time...use one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What kind of phone holder do people use for a '21 CX-3? If this is the wrong thread then let me know but I looked through the first few pages of the forum to find a more appropriate one.

I've got one of those vent clip ones but it's not very sturdy/reliable. The whole contraption with my phone in it has flown off on a tight turn or come loose on bumpy roads.

The interior is curved everywhere with no flat sections at all so suction-type holders, well, suck. And I'm not going to hang it from the windshield. The cigarette lighter is too far down. Cup holders are too far back.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
Thanks for the advice:

Hadlock posted:

nitsuga posted:

Carry the tool you need to loosen the bolts I think. An appropriately sized wrench might be easy and cheap enough. Unless Im missing something.

Deteriorata posted:

Also, put some oil or anti-sieze on them.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, it sounds like you were eventually able to get the bolt out fine with a socket wrench, so next time...use one.
The first time! This time was tougher and I don't like the trend :) I'm like the least handy person I know so it helps to have the obvious stuff pointed out to me. I'll do all of these things and call it good.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you have honestly managed to blaze new ground in unhandiness in my mind

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Lobok posted:

What kind of phone holder do people use for a '21 CX-3? If this is the wrong thread then let me know but I looked through the first few pages of the forum to find a more appropriate one.

I've got one of those vent clip ones but it's not very sturdy/reliable. The whole contraption with my phone in it has flown off on a tight turn or come loose on bumpy roads.

The interior is curved everywhere with no flat sections at all so suction-type holders, well, suck. And I'm not going to hang it from the windshield. The cigarette lighter is too far down. Cup holders are too far back.

I don't have your car, but I use a RAM ball mount that I stuck onto the dash with 3M VHB tape. It hasn't budged in like six years.

I also ended up 3D printing my own RAM-compatible clamp for the phone instead of using the x-grip, because on my new phone the x-grip arms are perfectly spaced to push the power button. But that's kinda extra and ymmv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Lobok posted:

I dunno about your car but check Pro Clip USA. They are the thread consensus for best mounts in the business, but you'll pay for them. I am a cheap bastard so I use an unstable vent clip.

Here you go: https://www.proclipusa.com/collections/dashboard-mounts-mazda-cx-3-2021

e: To be clear I do this because my car is old and has no CarPlay for Waze. If I needed to buy another vehicle I think CarPlay would be a hard requirement and I'd never use a mount again.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 7, 2022