Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Real hurthling! posted:

The demo timers are too short for newbies thats why.

Yeah, and if you're new to MonHun then you are going to start the game by picking up a bunch of useless herbs and ivy, killing every small creature you run across, strip them of meat and bones, probably spend some time trying to move with your weapon drawn, then eventually finding the target with 8 minutes left on the demo's clock. I feel like most of those issues would be self-correcting by the second attempt, but not everyone is going to give it another shot. Their loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

LawfulWaffle posted:

Yeah, and if you're new to MonHun then you are going to start the game by picking up a bunch of useless herbs and ivy, killing every small creature you run across, strip them of meat and bones, probably spend some time trying to move with your weapon drawn, then eventually finding the target with 8 minutes left on the demo's clock. I feel like most of those issues would be self-correcting by the second attempt, but not everyone is going to give it another shot. Their loss.

But why wouldn't they just let you run around exploring? It makes no sense if you're doing single player.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Seedge posted:

The PlayStation app can be a second screen for the chat messages.

Really? It takes YouTube chat and puts it in the Ps app? Hey, if it works I’ll try it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder if the people complaining about the timer just want every game to adopt western open world mechanics for some reason.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Renoistic posted:

But why wouldn't they just let you run around exploring? It makes no sense if you're doing single player.

There are missions that are just "explore this area and harvest/hunt as much as you'd like" as well as missions that specifically ask you to gather certain ingredients, usually as ways to ease the player into a new location. Once you take on a hunt for a particular monster, the idea is that you focus on that monster. Maybe you stop and mine a bit or gather some honey, but finding and killing or capturing the target is the priority. The time limit is there to make the player engage with the game's systems; I don't know how to give you a more satisfactory answer. It's there so you learn to use paintballs on the target so you can track them when they move to a new zone, instead of having to comb the map again. It's there so you feel the pressure to upgrade your weapons and armor so you can deal enough damage to be finished in a reasonable time frame. It's there to make you effectively prepare an item set so you don't spend thirty minutes scrounging for herbs and mushrooms to make potions because you ran out. It's there to prevent you from taking out-of-range potshots that deal one damage for 3 hours.

I promise you, it will only affect your experience in the most edge of cases, and there's usually something to be learned from why your time ran out that will make you a better hunter in the long run.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Renoistic posted:

Its canon that the hunter has to get back to finish his shift at denny's

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

As someone mentioned in here I'm sure the timers are low for the beta as it's the same build they used at expos and they wouldn't want people gathering herbs for 50 mins while there's a queue of people waiting to play.

If timers bother you so much just stick some tape over that part of your TV and 99.9% of people will never know it's a thing

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'd like the timer better if it got dark and you got swarmed by stronger monsters after it expires, or something to that effect.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bad Parenting posted:

As someone mentioned in here I'm sure the timers are low for the beta as it's the same build they used at expos and they wouldn't want people gathering herbs for 50 mins while there's a queue of people waiting to play.

If timers bother you so much just stick some tape over that part of your TV and 99.9% of people will never know it's a thing

Its an invisible timer with center screen warning popups

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

King of Solomon posted:

Can you just not abandon quests in multiplayer sessions or something? A timer seems like a really hacky, inelegant solution to the problem of bad party members wasting your time.

Everything surrounding the actual hunting seems hacky and inelegant tbh.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 20, 2017

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Real hurthling! posted:

Its an invisible timer with center screen warning popups

the clock is top left of your screen next to your health/stamina bars, but yeah fair one about the warning prompts. but again, you'll probably never see those unless it's saying something like "30 mins to go" in the full game.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

People who have played Monster Hunter: "The timer's almost never an issue."
People who have never played Monster Hunter: "The timer ruins the experience."

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I wonder if the people complaining about the timer just want every game to adopt western open world mechanics for some reason.

God no, that would be the worst. There are too many games that have been ruined by open world mechanics as it is.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah it would be a shame if the good name of Monster Hunter was ruined by excessive crafting, collectibles and impenetrably dense submenus.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m going to buy Monster Hunter AND complain about how bad I am in it.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This is why monster hunter should just stick to the 3ds where no casuals can play it and complain about timers or the lack of open world mechanics

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

nachos posted:

This is why monster hunter should just stick to the 3ds where no casuals can play it and complain about timers or the lack of open world mechanics

I know you're joking, but that statement can go to hell. We finally got a MH game that doesn't look like rear end and has proper controls.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hammerwatch is coming to PS4!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyEgZ5GPBsM

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nice, hammerwatch is a drat fun game.

TaurusOxford posted:

I know you're joking, but that statement can go to hell. We finally got a MH game that doesn't look like rear end and has proper controls.

Also :laffo: at implying that the 3ds is a hardcore platform.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Millions of Japanese elementary schoolers are hardcore enough to monhun on handhelds but 30 year old console players in the west just can't wrap their heads around it

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

lets hang out posted:

Millions of Japanese elementary schoolers are hardcore enough to monhun on handhelds but 30 year old console players in the west just can't wrap their heads around it

There's a timer though you see.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The time limit is archaic nonsense. Like lives in Super Mario games. Nintendo got rid of those, though.

Anyway, like I said earlier, a natural 'time limit' like nightfall in Dragon's Dogma would give players a natural reason to hurry up. Rushing home before you got torn to shreds in DD was awesome to boot.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Can't wait for World to release so we can play while we argue about mission timers and how much the 3DS sucks with a whole new generation of players.

:getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lets hang out posted:

I put up with a lot of bullshit as a child too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lets hang out posted:

I think it's more that they can't wrap their fingers around it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The best timer in video games is Bully’s 2AM sleep timer

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If you stay up too late in Deadly Premonition the sky turns red, it starts raining, and giant demon dogs chase you

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol that hosed me up the first time it happened

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

ElwoodCuse posted:

If you stay up too late in Deadly Premonition the sky turns red, it starts raining, and giant demon dogs chase you

It's good to get enough sleep, right Zach?

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
Maybe this is the wrong thread for this but here goes:

I just bought a Thrustmaster T-GT racing wheel. After I got it set up, I realized that it isn't compatible with any of the racing games I currently own (Need for Speed Rivals, GTAV, and a few other obscure ones). Is this typical for a racing wheel addon? If I had known this, I would have gotten another wheel. Is it likely that future firmware updates will render my wheel compatible with all racing games on the PS4?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Possibly? The game has to be specifically programmed to use a certain wheel. It’s not like on pc where the wheel is basically a fancy joystick.

The T-GT was specially designed for GT Sport, a game that released a month ago. It wont have wide support for a while yet, and may never have support for games older than GT Sport unless the devs go back and patch it in.

The T300RS is the wheel that launched with Driveclub, the first driving game on PS4, and is therefore supported by most stuff.

Rest assured you bought a very good wheel, but a very new wheel, so it’s not yet well supported.

If you absolutely need your fix, GT Sport is the best online console racing game out there, and is the best online racing game, second maybe to iracing on the PC.

If you like competitive multiplayer and driving you will love GT Sport. If you loved “Pokémon but with cars” of the old GT game, the first big update (coming sometime in December) adds a healthy single player campaign, more tracks and more cars.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

As someone who's played a 20-minute demo, let me tell you about how archaic the monster hunter series is,

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Possibly? The game has to be specifically programmed to use a certain wheel. It’s not like on pc where the wheel is basically a fancy joystick.

The T-GT was specially designed for GT Sport, a game that released a month ago. It wont have wide support for a while yet, and may never have support for games older than GT Sport unless the devs go back and patch it in.

The T300RS is the wheel that launched with Driveclub, the first driving game on PS4, and is therefore supported by most stuff.

Rest assured you bought a very good wheel, but a very new wheel, so it’s not yet well supported.

If you absolutely need your fix, GT Sport is the best online console racing game out there, and is the best online racing game, second maybe to iracing on the PC.

If you like competitive multiplayer and driving you will love GT Sport. If you loved “Pokémon but with cars” of the old GT game, the first big update (coming sometime in December) adds a healthy single player campaign, more tracks and more cars.

Is it adding any VR poo poo?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don’t have the time for time limits.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

veni veni veni posted:

The hatred of timers is hard wired into their brains, after having to wait for so many of them to end before they can eat their hot pockets.

I always wondered why when a timer ran out in a videogame I would start salivating and experiencing sense memories of icy hot pepperoni.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
My PS4 just stopped making sound through the TV. Not even at the beginning of a session; I brought it back from sleep mode while I was doing other things and heard it make the usual sounds to show its turned on and for notifications, but when I went to play a game, no sound. I tried resetting it and changed which HDMI port of my TV it was plugged into to no avail. My Switch works through the TV as normal though. Also my wireless headset works. What's the deal here?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Samurai Sanders posted:

My PS4 just stopped making sound through the TV. Not even at the beginning of a session; I brought it back from sleep mode while I was doing other things and heard it make the usual sounds to show its turned on and for notifications, but when I went to play a game, no sound. I tried resetting it and changed which HDMI port of my TV it was plugged into to no avail. My Switch works through the TV as normal though. Also my wireless headset works. What's the deal here?

Reverse your HDMI cable or swap it out with another one (you can still use it, just change it around).

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TIMERS

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Aren't all games on a time limit? Can't play forever you gotta die irl sometime

Also FF15 pretty fun so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

im actually a machine designed to play video games but the rest of you yes you gotta die