Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

How's Diablo 4 nowadays? It's on gamepass and it has a new season coming out... tomorrow iirc; worth it to go through campaign at least until next PoE League? :v:

I tried it on Gamepass and found the gameplay fairly boring. May be the fault of my build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Abiotic Factor announced 250k sales since release

and Tokyo Psychodemic releases May 30th

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 14, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

Pretty much. The game had a complete story arc ending in a solid resolution, there really isn't any point in flogging that narritive dead horse. The best thing is just to take the name IP name and make something totally different/new, but that type of creative freedom isn't what corporate wants.

Homeworld's aesthetic and space-mechanics are still hugely influential in other titles, just... not the namesake.

They did that and the worst kind of nerds hated it because it wasn't in space.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The 7th Guest posted:

Abiotic Factor announced 250k sales since release

It's been a real good year or so for runaway indie hits, pretty cool to see.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

When you hint at playing a Yakuza game incorrectly on the Something Awful forums:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

When you hint at playing a Yakuza game incorrectly on the Something Awful forums:

And just like what would happen in game, I would kick their asses!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Orv posted:

IIRC it was the opposite - Deserts of Kharak started as a non-homeworld game that got the IP later on?

Honestly the best parts of DoK where the bits that went off to do its own thing - the rock/paper/scissors of the basic units, how terrain and LOS is crucial, air strikes, overheating, etc. And all of that goes went down the drain when you build big tanky battlecruisers and the godforsaken artillery, sigh. In a perfect world the game would have gotten funding to flesh out its own cool stuff instead of touching the cursed IP.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

While Cataclysm (now called Emergence) is mostly the same kind of game as the first it differs in pretty important ways so it was also done 24 years ago and no one (no one in charge) remembers. “S’Jet” is mentioned in Cataclysm like twice and one of those times is to illustrate just how lowly the protagonists are at the start.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Serephina posted:

IIRC it was the opposite - Deserts of Kharak started as a non-homeworld game that got the IP later on?

Honestly the best parts of DoK where the bits that went off to do its own thing - the rock/paper/scissors of the basic units, how terrain and LOS is crucial, air strikes, overheating, etc. And all of that goes went down the drain when you build big tanky battlecruisers and the godforsaken artillery, sigh. In a perfect world the game would have gotten funding to flesh out its own cool stuff instead of touching the cursed IP.

Yeah they were making a live service RTS thing - also called Shipbreakers, interestingly enough - and then Gearbox rocked up and said "Hey wanna make that a Homeworld game?"

And yeah, the best parts of DoK are where it's a Homeworld game doing cool new stuff. And yet that's also why people got mad about it. There is no winning.

Kibayasu posted:

While Cataclysm (now called Emergence) is mostly the same kind of game as the first it differs in pretty important ways so it was also done 24 years ago and no one (no one in charge) remembers. “S’Jet” is mentioned in Cataclysm like twice and one of those times is to illustrate just how lowly the protagonists are at the start.

Cataclysm though is ultimately just a Homeworld 1 mod when it comes to gameplay, great as everything is about it.

Orv fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 14, 2024

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Phlegmish posted:

That time Kiryu really did murder people.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been playing Abiotic Factor solo. I usually hate survival crafting games so I wish someone told me sooner that this is not actually a survival crafting game. It's an immsim/metroidvania mashup of Prey, HL1, and SCP mythos that includes crafting mainly as a progression gate (e.g. get into this area to collect the items you need to craft this tool which will allow you to open doors around the lab). It's cool as hell and entirely playable solo.

Just did my first Portal World and I'm hooked.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 14, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

metroidvania? you have my attention

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Reading reviews of it now and I'm kind of surprised how many people are talking about the survival/crafting side of things and how important it is to have base-centric characters in your co-op group or whatever. I don't know if things drastically change in co-op vs solo but I've played for 5 hours and made quite a bit of progress and almost none of that time was in my base or in crafting menus. I've never touched farming or cooking and I've been eating junk food and soda out of vending machines instead, I've been surviving with just medical supplies found in medkits on the wall, etc. Your base is just a place you go to sleep through the night and store items, which you only very occasionally need to craft. I guess needing multiple beds + more food for co-op would necessitate it more but solo it's almost entirely unneeded. Also you don't even need to 'build' a base, you just need a room closed off with doors that has a couch in it, which are plentiful on their own and you start the game right next to an excellent one that's inside the main hub area.

Ciaphas posted:

metroidvania? you have my attention

The metroidvania side of things is fairly light, comparable in shape to exploring the station in Prey (occasionally you get a new tool that allows you to unlock those doors you've passed a few dozen times) but not necessarily in scope. There's a central hub-like area that you keep venturing out of to get the items or tools you need to open a new area of the hub with a new area to venture out into, and you regularly open up new shortcuts back to the hub. So you're constantly traversing the same areas but occasionally with new tools or various things that let you interact with more of it. That stuff exists but isn't the primary focus the way it is in a real full-on Metroidvania game.

I'd say it's very comparable to Prey so far, though. The environments aren't as complex as Prey but the general flow of the game and exploration is the same.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 14, 2024

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Homeworld: Cataclysm was fantastic.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Homeworld Cataclysm is also interesting in that it's the only horror RTS I can think of, and it does that really well too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Homeworld Cataclysm is also interesting in that it's the only horror RTS I can think of, and it does that really well too.

The PS2/Xbox Aliens Vs Predator RTS tried some of that, at least. Cataclysm nails it infinitely better but that AvP game is a fascinating artifact for a bunch of reasons.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising, sort of

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Homeworld belongs in the category of games that is a cult classic entirely because of its atmosphere, where if you forensically pull apart the actual gameplay mechanics you find they just aren't actually very good. The big USP was the 3d space environment, but it never actually does anything interesting with that so brass tacks it's an RTS where most maps are completely empty.

Destroyers kinda break the game - before they arrive there's an interesting rock paper scissors between strike craft, corvettes and frigates going on, with carriers needed to provide fuel. You have all the elements needed to do Pacific Carrier Battles in Space, aka the Wing Commander conceit. But then more capital ships appear that can just ignore strike craft and there's no reason not to brute force every fight.

E: so you are left with atmosphere and story, which is why everyone remembers 1 and seeing Kharaak burn, and everyone remembers Cataclysm and strapping a BFG to your ship to try to fight the space zombies, and nobody can remember 2 or deserts at all.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 14, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As a teenager it was terrifying to me whenever the AI would send units to attack my base in any RTS game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Orv posted:

Cataclysm though is ultimately just a Homeworld 1 mod when it comes to gameplay, great as everything is about it.

I guess what I’m saying is I don’t think we’re at the point where we need a (exaggerating for effect) Homeworld FPS or whatever. Radically changing the context behind the gameplay can lead to amazing things as well. The Forgotten Coty is more than just a Skyrim mod. Maybe I’m just speaking for myself but reusing Homeworld 2’s context over again is my current issue.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
https://store.steampowered.com/app/499180/Braid_Anniversary_Edition/

The anniversary edition of Braid is out, and the original version is delisted from Steam

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Flair posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/499180/Braid_Anniversary_Edition/

The anniversary edition of Braid is out, and the original version is delisted from Steam

Someone alert Soulja Boy

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

I guess what I’m saying is I don’t think we’re at the point where we need a (exaggerating for effect) Homeworld FPS or whatever. Radically changing the context behind the gameplay can lead to amazing things as well. The Forgotten Coty is more than just a Skyrim mod. Maybe I’m just speaking for myself but reusing Homeworld 2’s context over again is my current issue.

But Fire Warrior worked so well!

No yeah I get you, believe me. I've been watching Homeworld 3 cutscenes and the problem appears to be that they're garbage. They look bad, they sound bad, the characters are all morons, it's not great. Leaning into the Special S'jet Space Juice was a big mistake, for my money.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Alchenar posted:

nobody can remember 2 or deserts at all.
Wrong, bitch.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hwurmp posted:

MY NAME IS RANDOM

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

sebmojo posted:

MY NAME IS RANDOM

All hail the King of Amber.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FishMcCool posted:

All hail the King of Amber.

Oh, lol it's Ransom, I've been misremembering that for years

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Alchenar posted:

nobody can remember 2 or deserts at all.

:wrong:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay fine I can remember I'm still waiting for the bit in 2 where any of the plot makes sense

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

2 had amazing music, so its very memorable for that

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Looking at the Homeworld 3 reviews, it looks like the devs have really committed to 90s RTS nostalgia by failing to fix the completely broken pathing that was there in demo.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Deserts of Kharak is a really cool game that nails the Homeworld vibe. It's also really interesting that the primary antagonists are right.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Serephina posted:

Homeworld 3 just released.

Well, I think? I went to bed last night and woke up just now to people having 19+ hours in the game and leaving a shitton of negative reviews. Maybe there was a private beta before the release? Dunno.

The reviews lambasting it for being a soulless schlockfest is disappointing, yet unsurprising.

deserts of kharak was so good, so this is disappointing to hear

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

it's perfectly fine, with a lot of little annoying issues that im confident they'll patch out. the campaign is no worse than homeworld 2's, the music is a step down, but the game will be very moddable. i have confidence in the long run for homeworld 3

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

the campaign is no worse than homeworld 2's

This is a very low bar.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I imagine the roguelike co-op mode is a thing that for a few people will absolutely make this their game, and wide modding support for a few intensely dedicated people can give games legs. Watch out for the Freespace 2/Wing Commander/Star Wars mods.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
"Well it's not worse than a game released 21 years ago" isn't exactly a selling point either

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Falcorum posted:

"Well it's not worse than a game released 21 years ago" isn't exactly a selling point either

Something something Freelancer something something Star Citizen...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

it's perfectly fine, with a lot of little annoying issues that im confident they'll patch out. the campaign is no worse than homeworld 2's, the music is a step down, but the game will be very moddable. i have confidence in the long run for homeworld 3
Is the story less stupid than Homeworld 2 though?

SAJUUK IS A SPACESHIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deserts of Kharak was pretty fun, I think I got through a bit over a half of its campaign before being distracted by a cool bird or something and never coming back, but I enjoyed it.

Hwurmp posted:

Speaking of, anyone knows how to run this game on a modern machine?