Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

you can airplay to them so I still have a working setup via roon [minus alarms] but the apps are necessary to configure them, or in this case to forget how to access a shared folder without informing users in advance that they stopped caring about local libraries entirely

the ceo’s attitude of “we’re doing great stuff, sorry you’re too dumb to appreciate it” smacks of him getting personally involved in a lot of these important product decisions and people inside the company have probably been telling him this would happen for at least a year so he was already sick of hearing it before the public got involved

configure how, though? like, "play x in y room" or, like, "matrix this stereo track into multichannel"?

the whole thing is kind of baffling to me, lol. i mean, every kinda-smart speaker i have at least allows you to directly connect to it via bluetooth. i don't have anything made within the past ~5 years, so airplay has to be via some connection to another device (tv via spdif or hdmi, usually), but even that means you can use a plethora of options as your source (synced music, VLC, yt-dlp, even more if you're talking macos and not just ios, etc.)

but yeah that definitely stinks of the CEO getting their dirty, gross fingers in the pie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

while i completely agree with this, those technologies were basically pre web browser though, or at least existed alongside them

by "post web browser" i thought you meant the proliferation of apps essentially replacing websites, even though those apps are generally just websites anyway. but at first smartphones weren't powerful enough to do even that, so apps were, well, apps, and that was fine. but then things started trending in the "just package up the website with native controls/different css" direction, which is where i'd say things started turning "sour"

now we're basically just packaging up websites in a wrapper and calling it an app (while actual websites get neglected or degraded), so what we've got now is worse, imo. you could say it's gone from sour to rancid

thanks for reading my typoed incomplete response

on a timeline it was whenever netscape navigator came to wide adoption that the internet became extremely useful. i remember when my library’s macs got it and a newsgroup reader and then spending alllllll daaaay on it, like 93 or 94

what we have now (in terms of the mobile app walled garden ecosystem) is worse and soured, but otoh it granted the usefulness (what lingers) to even more people

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 16, 2024

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

well *i* think things were actually only good and cool before whatever period beeftweeter is describing. that johnny-come-lately fool!

nah. 2007 was a good year. late 90s is easier to idolize as there was a plausible illusion of things strictly improving (the fukuyama poo poo seeming an actual take then), but prior to the financial crisis the internet and the world seemed quite promising still. notably that is then before social media had any real significance

i remain (somewhat apologetically) thrilled that llm's is poisoning a lot of the most recent era of the internet. like google search and facebook will have to change. for the worse possibly, but, whatever, i am quite done with whatever this is.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 16, 2024

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

configure how, though? like, "play x in y room" or, like, "matrix this stereo track into multichannel"?

the whole thing is kind of baffling to me, lol. i mean, every kinda-smart speaker i have at least allows you to directly connect to it via bluetooth. i don't have anything made within the past ~5 years, so airplay has to be via some connection to another device (tv via spdif or hdmi, usually), but even that means you can use a plethora of options as your source (synced music, VLC, yt-dlp, even more if you're talking macos and not just ios, etc.)

but yeah that definitely stinks of the CEO getting their dirty, gross fingers in the pie
they have soundbars and bluetooth speakers now but their core product has always been network-only speakers for music. it was always a walled garden but until recently a good one, you could get music out of one of their speakers in 10 minutes and they work with every single streaming service which is rare in our stupid smart device era. They even developed a single voice assistant interface that worked with alexa, google and siri and then were yelled at by apple, google and amazon at the same time. I've probably convinced a dozen people to get their products because they're so much more simple and reliable than the alternatives, especially compared to big tech co's shizophrenic approaches to home audio products. plus their base model is surprisingly good in stereo for a bedroom system. even the $99 ikea speakers are decent

they had a habit of stepping on their dicks occasionally [the whole thing where they were offering to brick old devices in exchange for an upgrade discount was surprisingly bad but they backtracked]. I get the feeling that they're somehow dissatisfied with being the most successful independent home audio company of the last 20 years and they think they should be worth a trillion or something. people liked them because they were boring, they are also deep in the home installer market which is why folks with 20 zones in their giant mansions got a little huffy when the company they'd bought thousands of dollars of products from told them they'd have to segregate their network by the ages of the devices, exclusively for the benefit of sonos the company. it just seems like every few years they try to write off their tech debt not understanding that the piles of cash people have given them over the last two decades is the only reason they still exist

I don't think they intentionally crippled local music playback but they obviously made a bunch of changes to their whole stack with a priority on streaming and suporting these new headphones and didn't give users any warning they were doing this and didn't test it properly. I thought it might have been for the recent munich high end audio show but they didn't show anything there so I suspect they have an entirely internal drop dead date which, if poo poo isn't ready, is exactly the kind of thing an idiot ceo will insist on. one of the main reasons I dropped the cash for a roon license was to break my dependence on that ecosystem because I'd been waiting 10+ years for them to do non-stupid stuff and they refused to [I think normal level grognards would be fine with plexamp or some open source solution]. I used to just recommend it to people, now I'd say get some wiim stuff and separate speakers instead

and I guarantee you this whole fiasco is ensuring that most existing customers won't even look at their headphones

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well *i* think things were actually only good and cool before whatever period beeftweeter is describing. that johnny-come-lately fool!

nah. 2007 was a good year. late 90s is easier to idolize as there was a plausible illusion of things strictly improving (the fukuyama poo poo seeming an actual take then), but prior to the financial crisis the internet and the world seemed quite promising still. notably that is then before social media had any real significance

i remain (somewhat apologetically) thrilled that llm's is poisoning a lot of the most recent era of the internet. like google search and facebook will have to change. for the worse possibly, but, whatever, i am quite done with whatever this is.

lol things were mostly good and cool before then, technology-wise, anyway. most of the things we take for granted today were developed in the late 70s to early 90s-ish

but, yeah, i'd say that peak was around ehh, ~2003-7. social media was there but it was mostly used by teenagers looking to get laid or drunk (or both). it wasn't something people spent all day doing, and it certainly wasn't a career path, unless you were a developer or extremely popular blogger. smartphones were dumb and slow enough that even having an always-on connection meant you didn't have instantaneous access to whatever, push alerts didn't exist, and apps had to be extremely aware of resource constraints. cell service was spotty enough that nobody was reachable 24/7, even if they had a pager. real work was performed on a "real" computer. video calls were lovely and next to nonexistent as a result. advertisements in paid software were practically unheard of and thought to be poison to consumers, as was SaaS. i could keep going but i think you get the point

i'd also say the late 90s were pretty idyllic if you're talking about following what a lot of people then believed was the intent of the internet, i.e. a global information and communications system that would finally allow the "little guy" a seat at the table. unfortunately the internet being a largely american invention meant that corporate interests realized they could exploit all of this for megabux, so once the technology for that was in place (and it did take a couple decades), it all started going to poo poo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

they had a habit of stepping on their dicks occasionally [the whole thing where they were offering to brick old devices in exchange for an upgrade discount was surprisingly bad but they backtracked]. I get the feeling that they're somehow dissatisfied with being the most successful independent home audio company of the last 20 years and they think they should be worth a trillion or something. people liked them because they were boring, they are also deep in the home installer market which is why folks with 20 zones in their giant mansions got a little huffy when the company they'd bought thousands of dollars of products from told them they'd have to segregate their network by the ages of the devices, exclusively for the benefit of sonos the company. it just seems like every few years they try to write off their tech debt not understanding that the piles of cash people have given them over the last two decades is the only reason they still exist

I don't think they intentionally crippled local music playback but they obviously made a bunch of changes to their whole stack with a priority on streaming and suporting these new headphones and didn't give users any warning they were doing this and didn't test it properly. I thought it might have been for the recent munich high end audio show but they didn't show anything there so I suspect they have an entirely internal drop dead date which, if poo poo isn't ready, is exactly the kind of thing an idiot ceo will insist on.

i don't really have much to comment about sonos' audio equipment because, as i said, i don't have any, but lol that whole (v. good, don't get me wrong) diatribe reminds me of my own experience with apple: i used to recommend their products as a matter of course, and even worked for the company. but it seems basically the same forces are at work: making their products shittier to use, more expensive, crippled in various ways, etc. and prioritizing other things i literally couldn't care less about at the expense of what made me enjoy using their products to begin with

but i think you hit the nail on the head here:

qirex posted:

I get the feeling that they're somehow dissatisfied with being the most successful independent home audio company of the last 20 years and they think they should be worth a trillion or something.

which is in essence what i think happened with apple too. from a business perspective, where do you go from the top? the answer is either down (unacceptable) or further up, in which case you need to branch out in directions you're not used to going in, and if those products are not as good as your older ones, then, well, you're heading down anyway. lateral moves, apparently, can never happen

but apple and (afaict) sonos both have a form of vendor lock-in that insulates them somewhat from the decline in product quality. if you're already invested in an ecosystem, you're not likely to leave it until you're absolutely fed up with it (which is why i still use ios devices, lol)

when apple gets there is anyone's guess, but it sounds like sonos is approaching that point. and they'll care, eventually, but probably not until it's too late

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

atomicthumbs showed the world the real sonos and nobody listened

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

atomicthumbs showed the world the real sonos and nobody listened

Actually this is what made me stop using the Sonos base station previous homeowner had left behind for Airplay.

Instead I got some other AirPlay device that some surely non lovely company made.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i've been nursing a pet theory for some time that a huge part of the psychotic llm boom comes down to cloud vendors responding to customers starting to wise up to the cloud being an expensive, unreliable, and insecure scam, and the trend i have observed of companies trying to move their conventional workloads back in-house over the past few years

every huge company that has invested in the physical infrastructure and business of cloud hosting- google, amazon, microsoft- needs to find something, anything for that hardware to be doing. executing and training llms sits in a wonderful sweet spot of consuming lots of compute, ram, and storage, and having the same inherent tolerance for failure, spiky workloads, and embarrassing parallelism the clouds were built for in the first place. like all SaaS products llms allow the operators to keep the (largely stolen) secret sauce of their models locked away from competitors, and the only crucial strategic challenge is securing streams of usable training data for new models, which is becoming harder as the open web falls apart

azure/aws/gcloud have made their respective investments in llm and gann purveyors not necessarily because they believe any of those ideas will pan out in their own right, but because they provide a stream of tasks to keep all the server farms warm. microsoft can run openai stuff without charging themselves a premium to use their own infrastructure, while all the smaller fish who buy into the trend pay through the nose. meanwhile, the fact that huge important players like microsoft appear to have gone all-in on this technology provides a veneer of legitimacy to the trend.

facebook- the biggest player in this area which doesn't sell cloud services- has laser-targeted small llms that can be self-hosted, which seems like primarily an attempt to undermine cloud vendors, shortening the amount of time they have to enjoy something resembling exclusivity

google's stadia might even fit into this narrative, as an abortive alternative strategy for filling idle cloud servers before llm and gann workloads became more popular

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

i've been nursing a pet theory for some time that a huge part of the psychotic llm boom comes down to cloud vendors responding to customers starting to wise up to the cloud being an expensive, unreliable, and insecure scam, and the trend i have observed of companies trying to move their conventional workloads back in-house over the past few years

every huge company that has invested in the physical infrastructure and business of cloud hosting- google, amazon, microsoft- needs to find something, anything for that hardware to be doing. executing and training llms sits in a wonderful sweet spot of consuming lots of compute, ram, and storage, and having the same inherent tolerance for failure, spiky workloads, and embarrassing parallelism the clouds were built for in the first place. like all SaaS products llms allow the operators to keep the (largely stolen) secret sauce of their models locked away from competitors, and the only crucial strategic challenge is securing streams of usable training data for new models, which is becoming harder as the open web falls apart

azure/aws/gcloud have made their respective investments in llm and gann purveyors not necessarily because they believe any of those ideas will pan out in their own right, but because they provide a stream of tasks to keep all the server farms warm. microsoft can run openai stuff without charging themselves a premium to use their own infrastructure, while all the smaller fish who buy into the trend pay through the nose. meanwhile, the fact that huge important players like microsoft appear to have gone all-in on this technology provides a veneer of legitimacy to the trend.

facebook- the biggest player in this area which doesn't sell cloud services- has laser-targeted small llms that can be self-hosted, which seems like primarily an attempt to undermine cloud vendors, shortening the amount of time they have to enjoy something resembling exclusivity

google's stadia might even fit into this narrative, as an abortive alternative strategy for filling idle cloud servers before llm and gann workloads became more popular
The overlap between "major cloud computing providers" and "companies pouring lot of resources into creating llms" is basically just google and microsoft so what you're saying can only be true if 1) google and microsoft are the primary companies driving the "psychotic llm boom" and 2) they are doing so because they have spare computing power.

However, I think openai and other companies using its api have done far more to create the current llm boom, and google and microsoft seem to be trying to catch up because they see themselves behind on something big, which is extremely typical behavior for them, so I'm not convinced that the llm boom is being driven by a desire to make use of spare cloud computing power

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

and it's not just spare cloud capacity, microsoft's capex is way up

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i'm not saying they're using it just to fill empty space, they're using it as a justification to continue expanding capacity while more conventional workloads taper off; they didn't initiate the hype wave, but they're using their clout to amplify it and help manufacture demand for very profitable cloud compute

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

so you're an aiccelerationist?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Internet Janitor posted:

idk, this certainly makes sense on some level, but on another it falls apart: all of those companies actually are all-in on generative ai. ms has shoehorned it into literally every single product they could conceivably come up with some use for it in (and even those that don't have any legitimate use); google just announced yesterday that they're essentially replacing their premier product, their search engine, with LLM garbage; amazon has been using it for product reviews and god knows what else; even facebook has been experimenting with having it respond to posts that don't get any comments, so that their users get "engagement"

so even if that's what the ai craze began as, all of those companies have completely bought into their own hype. hell, even apple — usually the most cautious tech major and among the last to jump on a hype train — apparently plans to use on-device LLMs for something in some upcoming iphone refresh. if this is all related to their cloud servers being underutilized, then yeah, they certainly "solved" that "problem"

but again, if true, they forgot to not buy their own bullshit

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

i'm not saying they're using it just to fill empty space, they're using it as a justification to continue expanding capacity while more conventional workloads taper off; they didn't initiate the hype wave, but they're using their clout to amplify it and help manufacture demand for very profitable cloud compute
It's two companies and there is just no reason to think that their primary motivation has anything to do with the amount of cloud computing capacity at all rather than being them being like "oh poo poo we need to get in on this ai poo poo because that's what investors want and if it turns out to be important we might be hosed otherwise". They're also trying to make money by actually selling AI services, so what you're saying is like saying that supermarkets are trying to hype grapes so they can use excess floor space or have an excuse to build up additional floor space

That's in contrast to a company like Nvidia which legitimately has motivation to want to create hype to generate an ai bubble for its own sake to get other people to use AI stuff even if it's not profitable or useful because it will make them buy more gpus

Just think of all the other dumb trends microsoft and google have hopped on

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 17, 2024

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i think llm stuff is popular because it is a tool that allows owners to replace workers with robots op

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

mystes posted:

The overlap between "major cloud computing providers" and "companies pouring lot of resources into creating llms" is basically just google and microsoft so what you're saying can only be true if 1) google and microsoft are the primary companies driving the "psychotic llm boom" and 2) they are doing so because they have spare computing power.

However, I think openai and other companies using its api have done far more to create the current llm boom, and google and microsoft seem to be trying to catch up because they see themselves behind on something big, which is extremely typical behavior for them, so I'm not convinced that the llm boom is being driven by a desire to make use of spare cloud computing power

for all intents and purposes openai is microsoft and a huge driver in their absolutely massive expansion of the azure infrastructure. its why googles attempts to catch up seem more and more desperate and microsoft has been able to actually roll out copilot so quickly without a bunch of embarrassing announcements both of which are incredibly unlike microsoft. satya has found a way to absolutely juice microsofts growth while shifting all the people who would normally be yelling about it to yelling at openai instead

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Expo70 posted:

insipid Expo70 commentary:

50 years from now people will shift around uncomfortably when you bring this up because half of the people present will have some variation of this and that there's a mental health crisis specifically created by this, with swarths of people dealing with cPTSD created by TOS updates and cloudflare outages

100 years from now this will be viewed as one of the prior steps that bridged the weird social patterning of fursonas, vtubers and alternate models of society where we begin moving towards post-body, or we start giving non-anthropomorphic entities like forests and fungus ways of socially communicating with us, using the monstergirl phenomenon to pick up the slack and normalize other ways of being where xenofiction failed.

150 years from now it'll be discussed as the beginning of using self-elective eugenics on the emotionally vulnerable and socially isolated, to punish anybody who couldn't make enough money to breakeven and have a social life before the collapse of capitalism

200 years from now everybody will finally catch up with yospos and agree that this was cringe all along and apologize to the forests and funguses for attempting to waifu them because society has finally found another way to try and get everybody to like ohio despite the fact everybody wants to leave ohio, and the psyop of using robots shaped like children's cartoon drawings which gleefully shout "ohio" didn't cut it.

are you ready for the future, yospos?

gently caress off winnie the pooh is NOT xenofiction

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

goblin week posted:

gently caress off winnie the pooh is NOT xenofiction

are you saying winnie the pooh used to be a normal human dude that got turned into a pooh

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
no wonder he was so dead-set on hunting down that woozle

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Shame Boy posted:

are you saying winnie the pooh used to be a normal human dude that got turned into a pooh

well yeah thats usually what happens when you get eaten by a bear

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Shame Boy posted:

are you saying he's not

the soviets cast their stereotypical working class alcoholic bloke actor as winnie the pooh for a reason

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Internet Janitor posted:

they're using it as a justification to continue expanding capacity while more conventional workloads taper off

i get that you have some personal anecdotes about companies moving workloads off public cloud infrastructure, but i'd be extremely surprised if it's so pervasive as to be a "tapering off" scenario. less growth, maybe, but everybody isn't suddenly running down to the local datacenter again

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

are you saying he's not

the soviets cast their stereotypical working class alcoholic bloke actor as winnie the pooh for a reason

that reminds me, i remember my ukranian boss at my first job being genuinely amazed and baffled that I (or any american, for that matter) had seen soviet winnie the pooh :3:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
ars discovers: the state of home automation and iot security

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

quote:

Being a home automation nerd, and thereby a Home Assistant enthusiast,

this is like that finance blogger or whatever getting scammed

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

koolkal posted:

this is like that finance blogger or whatever getting scammed

the funniest thing about that scam for me was amazon transferring her to the CIA, and also when they deleted mr__piss's comment from the article

shackleford fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 17, 2024

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

hyperscalers are always gonna hyperscale. meta having a locally runnable model doesn’t mean they’re not looking at self hosting 30k-> gpu clusters for llm workloads. everyone who can’t afford that has to rent it.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 17, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Shame Boy posted:

that reminds me, i remember my ukranian boss at my first job being genuinely amazed and baffled that I (or any american, for that matter) had seen soviet winnie the pooh :3:

the soviet/north america and western europe cultural divide that grew out of the cold war is fukken wild. the soviet union was a cultural powerhouse but (for arguably understandable reasons) only marketed their poo poo in the second and third world, so it's all but entirely unknown in the former first world

there was that one time they kinda tried and got a bunch of hollywood people drunk af to convince them to give an oscar to Moscow Does Not Believe In Tears but outside that, gently caress all

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

:discourse:

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
"tell me you don't do your taxes without telling me you don't do your taxes" is so wonderfully perfectly petty

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
i dont do my taxes

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

i dont do my taxes

pm me your tax person because I am at my limit of complexity as a civilian

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

qirex posted:

pm me your tax person because I am at my limit of complexity as a civilian

pm sent

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i thought most americans didn't do their own taxes

i do my own but gently caress giving hr block et al money to fix a problem they bribed congress to create in the first place

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

i do my own but gently caress giving hr block et al money to fix a problem they bribed congress to create in the first place

just take the food right out of my childs mouth then

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://x.com/soniajoseph_/status/1791604177581310234

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

There should really be a class in high school, or at least a chapter in a broader class about home finance, about scams and financial crimes.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I remember those kinds of geek house parties before there were millions of dollars involved, I can imagine they’re extra gross now. the secret was to leave before the “ick pit” formed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

the secret was to leave before the “ick pit” formed

nnnnnnnnnnope