Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Also related to the split tailgate Ram, while the tailgate may be dubious, the return of the Rambox side cargo bins and a new cargo management system could be pretty handy:

(Pic from gallery of https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/15/2019-ram-1500-spotted-with-split-tailgate/)

edit: poo poo, maybe that should go in Awesome stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

A work truck with an OEM hydraulic lift tailgate would be awesome, as would a dump bed.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

slidebite posted:

A work truck with an OEM hydraulic lift tailgate would be awesome, as would a dump bed.

Would make unloading groceries a breeze, tbqh

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4E0TLYKjNU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

This. I'm just not seeing the purpose to the feature.

Funny that people make fun of Fords for having the pull out step in the tailgate, which actually does come in handy. Or probably does. Never used one myself, but I've climbed in to the back of enough trucks to wish I had a step somewhere in between...:corsair:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think it's any harder to turn the engine backwards than forwards -- you're still working against the same volume of air being compressed in the same number of cylinders. Depending on valve overlap the compression might be slightly lower, in fact. The idea that backwards is harder because it's "wrong" is just a myth.

The problem with turning the engine backwards is that, while the crankshaft can probably turn fine either way, the valvegear is very much not designed to go backwards in most modern engines. The lobes on the cams may not be ramped correctly, and the timing system might be designed to only experience tension going in one direction.

Fun fact though: some diesel engines with electric fuel pumps and symmetrical valvetrains can run equally well in reverse, except that air gets sucked in the exhaust pipe and exhausted out the intake, which is spectacular to watch but real bad for everything that is not the engine itself

I used to be into high-performance 2-stroke engines for small personal watercraft (standup jetskis). I had one setup with a lot of ignition advance and a very light flywheel. It was possible to nearly stall the engine with a particular maneuver and have it come back running backwards. Indications were rough running and no appreciable jet output. But it revved just fine.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Darchangel posted:

Found while digging up the patent on the bisexual-folding tailgate:
https://blog.caranddriver.com/ram-patents-retractable-pickup-truck-bed-ramps/

That's actually a pretty cool feature, if it's ever implemented.
edit: added picture.

I'll assume that they thought of something being in the bed, on top of the ramps? Do they actually stow below the bed floor?

Sagebrush posted:

Fun fact though: some diesel engines with electric fuel pumps and symmetrical valvetrains can run equally well in reverse, except that air gets sucked in the exhaust pipe and exhausted out the intake, which is spectacular to watch but real bad for everything that is not the engine itself
Yeah, one of my work machines has a kubota diesel, and it mentions in the manual what to do if the engine starts running backwards.

I seem to recall there being a buick engine from the 50s that guys would make run backwards with custom manifolds...

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 17, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

I used to be into high-performance 2-stroke engines for small personal watercraft (standup jetskis). I had one setup with a lot of ignition advance and a very light flywheel. It was possible to nearly stall the engine with a particular maneuver and have it come back running backwards. Indications were rough running and no appreciable jet output. But it revved just fine.

Modern 2 stroke Snowmobiles achieve reverse by stopping the engine and running it backwards.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

I hate the current special version that has the giant fuckoff letters in the grille and tailgate. It's beyond tacky.

Like every truck from the 70s, 80s and 90s?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

wesleywillis posted:

My parent's 84 Caprice station wagon had the same tailgate as the "innovative" Honda ridgeline tailgate. I can see its purpose though. Drop it like a tail gate for long poo poo, tailgate parties, etc, or open it like a normal door so that we could pile in the very back seat.

But this? Or the one on the ridgeline for that matter?

Hell my 95 Caprice wagon (and all the varieties) do this as well.

The coolest one is the Chevy Kingswood Wagon circa 1970 or so. The tailgate basically slid down into the body and disappeared.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

I'll assume that they thought of something being in the bed, on top of the ramps? Do they actually stow below the bed floor?

The Home Depot rental pickup has this, they stow under the floor. Also all of the sides of the bed fold down so it can be a flatbed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

Funny that people make fun of Fords for having the pull out step in the tailgate, which actually does come in handy. Or probably does. Never used one myself, but I've climbed in to the back of enough trucks to wish I had a step somewhere in between...:corsair:

That step is handy for those of us with bad knees.

StormDrain posted:

Like every truck from the 70s, 80s and 90s?

No. Big loving chrome letters that are 8" tall are not the same as the stamped names in tailgates.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The only people buying shameful Dodge trucks anyway are those who, for some reason, chose not to buy beautiful Ford or so-so Chevrolet.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Also related to the split tailgate Ram, while the tailgate may be dubious, the return of the Rambox side cargo bins and a new cargo management system could be pretty handy:

(Pic from gallery of https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/15/2019-ram-1500-spotted-with-split-tailgate/)

edit: poo poo, maybe that should go in Awesome stuff?

Avalanche already did it. And the step in the bumper people are talking about on the ford. :colbert:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaUSFVvHvKc/?taken-by=dummiesdoingthings

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Considering it was going to hit that overpass if it hadn't hit the sign frame, the driver got off pretty lightly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have questions.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Speaking of I Have Questions:

The answer is Macau

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

iospace posted:

I have questions.

What the gently caress were the idiots in the car thinking - they could see what was going to happen yet drove right into the area the sign fell.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

MrYenko posted:

I was behind an older (late-nineties) Lexus of some flavor the other day that had managed to wire their reverse lights to the brake light switch. Good comedy.

Are you sure it was the reverse light, and not just an old brake light lens? They seem to fade to a light pink around here. Maybe they don't have sun in glorious japan :rolleye:

wesleywillis posted:

I seem to recall there being a buick engine from the 50s that guys would make run backwards with custom manifolds...

Nailhead

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
All the Lexuses (Lexii?) around here have nearly-transparent auxiliary brake lenses like in the photo. The Arizona sun is not kind.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Raluek posted:

Nailhead

Was there a performance reason for this, or just packaging?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Raluek posted:

Are you sure it was the reverse light, and not just an old brake light lens? They seem to fade to a light pink around here. Maybe they don't have sun in glorious japan :rolleye:

I thought those were supposed to be fog lamps anyway - seems dumb to make them extra brake lamps

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I would be incredibly happy if every single one of those fuckers (the ones that should be fogs in most markets) never lit up again. No idea why Toyota/Lexus set them up like that on USDM markets, and why the gently caress did they cheap out on the lenses so bad :fuckoff:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Wasabi the J posted:

I find myself wondering what happens to the person being stopped at those moments.

Does the cop let them go, and if so, is it because they had bigger problems or out of embarrassment?
Well, I'd try to earn brownie points with the cop by offering him/her a ride to the nearest station.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think it's any harder to turn the engine backwards than forwards -- you're still working against the same volume of air being compressed in the same number of cylinders. Depending on valve overlap the compression might be slightly lower, in fact. The idea that backwards is harder because it's "wrong" is just a myth.

The problem with turning the engine backwards is that, while the crankshaft can probably turn fine either way, the valvegear is very much not designed to go backwards in most modern engines. The lobes on the cams may not be ramped correctly, and the timing system might be designed to only experience tension going in one direction.

It's real bad for the engine too. The oil pump runs backwards, sucks the oil from the engine, and dumps it all back in the pan.

I've gotten a gas/LPG dual fuel motor to run backwards. Someone filled the tank with diesel, and even after we flushed it when we tried to run it on gas it would idle like poo poo for a few seconds, almost stall, then spin in reverse for a half second before dying. Did that a bunch of times until it would actually run (like poo poo) on gas, and then it sounded terrible for another 10-15 minutes. Ran great after that though. I feel bad for the sucker who wound up buying it, though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Speaking of dreadful tail light setups.

The brake light is clearly on. What the gently caress is all that mess in the middle of the tailgate for?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

EKDS5k posted:

It's real bad for the engine too. The oil pump runs backwards, sucks the oil from the engine, and dumps it all back in the pan.

I've gotten a gas/LPG dual fuel motor to run backwards. Someone filled the tank with diesel, and even after we flushed it when we tried to run it on gas it would idle like poo poo for a few seconds, almost stall, then spin in reverse for a half second before dying. Did that a bunch of times until it would actually run (like poo poo) on gas, and then it sounded terrible for another 10-15 minutes. Ran great after that though. I feel bad for the sucker who wound up buying it, though.

I agree that running it backwards is bad, btu...

A few revolutions backwards aren't going to hurt anything. Yeah, no oil pressure, but you're talking a handful of revolutions, immediately after it's been running (or at least running enough to build oil pressure). You have no oil pressure when cranking it after sitting overnight; for the first second or two your engine's lubrication is whatever was leftover from the last run. Depending on the car it MIGHT build a little bit of oil pressure before it fires, but as the engine gets more worn out, oil pressure takes longer to build. Supposedly synthetic clings a lot better after the engine sits awhile, which is why I refuse to use anything except synthetic (even on my 200k Saturn). So long as the timing chain/belt doesn't jump from that, it shouldn't be an issue.

The only thing I'd be worried about on that, assuming it only ran backwards for a couple of seconds at a time, would be the oxygen sensors and catalytic converter. And that's just because O2 sensors and cats designed for a gasser don't cope with diesel too well.

Now if I ran across a diesel that someone had filled and tried to run with gasoline... oh god, unless it was scrap price, I would run like hell unless they had receipts for the entire fuel system, from tank to injectors, and I'd still want a compression test. The injectors and high pressure fuel pump rely on the extra lubrication that diesel provides to function properly. poo poo gets hosed in a hurry. If you fill it up and realize your fuckup before you try to run it, it's more of a matter of "drain and flush tank, change fuel filters/fuel+water separator in case they cycled the ignition on, call it a day".

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Nov 18, 2017

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Until you de-prime the oil pump then make all the expensive noises almost immediately after start up.

Some cam chain tensioner designs allow the plunger to fall out when the cam chain runs the wrong way, which will almost certainly see you jump timing and save you from bottom end expensive noises; interference motors will give you a consolation prize with some top end expensive noises.

As a rule of thumb: Don't spin modern 4 strokes the wrong way*.

*: Please someone find a Maserati that spins the engine the wrong way instead of having reverse gear.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

All the Lexuses (Lexii?) around here have nearly-transparent auxiliary brake lenses like in the photo. The Arizona sun is not kind.

That's the car, but ya, those fuckers werent pink, they were WHITE. Toyota. :v:

Raluek posted:

Nailhead

Collateral Damage posted:

Was there a performance reason for this, or just packaging?

That engine probably isn't running backwards, it's just running reverse-flow. Nailheads have terrible ports, and tiny valves (that's why it's called a nailhead; The valves look like nails,) so it looks like that guy is trying to get around the awful valve setup by using a blower, and just brute-forcing the smaller intake valve. Drag racing didn't get super-scientific until the seventies or so. Before that, there was a lot of throw-poo poo-at-the-wall-to-see-what-sticks going on, which that digger is a prime example of.

IIRC, there was a reverse-flow flathead that set some class records out at Bonneville a few years ago. (Maybe a decade ago... :corsair:)

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Memento posted:

The brake light is clearly on. What the gently caress is all that mess in the middle of the tailgate for?

Oh God they're like that outside of the US, too?

I always thought for cars where the brake and turn signal was on a trunk lid or liftgate, there would be a smaller (mandatory) duplicate signal on the bumper that would only activate when the trunk or liftgate was not closed. Of all the other cars that I've seen this arrangement on the road (Audi Q3, Q5, & Q7, Lincoln MKC, Chevy Bolt), I've never seen the auxiliary lamps light up.

So when I first saw the new model Clubman on the road, I also noticed that the bumper lamps where lighting up instead of the supposedly main lamps on the rear gate. I just figured that, being a Mini, there were some electrical or controls issues that made the car think the rear gate was open and only used the bumper lamps. (Yes I know Mini is more BMW at this point.) As I saw more Clubmans on the road, though, I realized that that is how they're wired at least in the US despite how stupid it looks. They spent all that time and effort designing the "main" cluster but instead use plain and generic lamps on the bumper for actual signaling. So despite at least Audi, Lincoln, GM figuring out how to do backup auxiliary lamps, I can't figure out how Mini/BMW couldn't do it as well unless they were prevented by the electrical design being so hosed up and inflexible.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Buick Cascada taillights are still my favorite.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

Nailhead

It took me forever to see what that was, crank driven supercharger pumping through the exhaust ports. That's amazing. I would have loved to work with the guys who first came up with that, even if it was a total failure it's a creative experiment.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Memento posted:

I noticed this fairly recently but forgot to flag it up in here.

I wouldn't be surprised if the wiring is wrong in these from factory. If it's not wrong and this is intentional then lol at BMW.

It may be for when you have the side lights on only perhaps? Either way it's completely loving stupid but is a nice example of a modern Mini design decisions being utterly dumb.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was up in the hills last weekend and passed some sort of mini meetup consisting of literally hundreds of new BMW Minis of all shapes and sizes, and all I could think was "drat, all you'd have to do to be king is show up in any kind of BMC mini in any shape"

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

At least in the US, brake lights cannot be on any movable part of the body, trunk doors etc. This is also the reason the Ferrari California's rear end looks so awful.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I agree that running it backwards is bad, btu...

A few revolutions backwards aren't going to hurt anything. Yeah, no oil pressure, but you're talking a handful of revolutions, immediately after it's been running (or at least running enough to build oil pressure). You have no oil pressure when cranking it after sitting overnight; for the first second or two your engine's lubrication is whatever was leftover from the last run. Depending on the car it MIGHT build a little bit of oil pressure before it fires, but as the engine gets more worn out, oil pressure takes longer to build. Supposedly synthetic clings a lot better after the engine sits awhile, which is why I refuse to use anything except synthetic (even on my 200k Saturn). So long as the timing chain/belt doesn't jump from that, it shouldn't be an issue.

The only thing I'd be worried about on that, assuming it only ran backwards for a couple of seconds at a time, would be the oxygen sensors and catalytic converter. And that's just because O2 sensors and cats designed for a gasser don't cope with diesel too well.

Now if I ran across a diesel that someone had filled and tried to run with gasoline... oh god, unless it was scrap price, I would run like hell unless they had receipts for the entire fuel system, from tank to injectors, and I'd still want a compression test. The injectors and high pressure fuel pump rely on the extra lubrication that diesel provides to function properly. poo poo gets hosed in a hurry. If you fill it up and realize your fuckup before you try to run it, it's more of a matter of "drain and flush tank, change fuel filters/fuel+water separator in case they cycled the ignition on, call it a day".

That's probably true for the engine I had. I meant more generally, though. Having an engine run in reverse is bad for the internals, as well as exhausting out the air filter.

I've seen gas in a diesel before, and it really depends on the motor. I got called to a site because a boom lift was running like poo poo and had no power. Fired it up and it just had the worst clatter you ever heard. Like, you know the sound when you try to start a diesel using ether? Like that but constantly, and then it would die immediately under load. Sure enough, gas in the diesel tank. Drain, change the filters, try to purge the lines, and it still sounded horrible. I almost gave up on it, but 10 seconds after I got off the phone saying it had to be removed from site due to permanent injector damage, it purged the last of the gas and took off. The company I was working for was cheap af so we left it at that and it ran great for like 2 more years before they sold it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Minnesota Mixup posted:

At least in the US, brake lights cannot be on any movable part of the body, trunk doors etc. This is also the reason the Ferrari California's rear end looks so awful.

lol. I don't really pay much attention to Ferraris but I'd never noticed that before

:whitewater:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There are better ways of doing it though, I can't remember the model but I remember pictures of a car where the lights are body mounted and shine through lenses in the rear door so when you lift the door up, boom, lights are right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Or the buick cascadia that has extra tail-lights in the trunk.