Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lamquin posted:

Thanks for the quick responses, I think I'll have a look for a cheatengine table. :shobon:

You don't need a table you can search for an amount and change the value directly. It might take you 5 minutes but it's still way faster than grinding. The shops are randomized but you can leave the area and come back to reset them. The shop you want is the general store on the citadel to the right of the train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

RBA Starblade posted:

What happened to.........Pathfinder?

they have all kinds of weird fuckin' things like this that are so easy to fix

like "you're the pathfinder, so pathfind" is dumb as gently caress, but "you're the pathfinder, so find a path" is like 10x better

and "PeeBee" is a massive own goal that would have been endearing if they called her "Pelly"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If only the game developer had been competent instead of incompetent and made good choices instead of bad ones this game would be perfect.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If only the game developer had been competent instead of incompetent and made good choices instead of bad ones this game would be perfect.

drat, agreed

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yeah, I think so.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished the game the other day, and it's not terrible. It's. It's not great either, but it's not that bad.

The answer, it seems is somewhere in the middle.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

What it is, is disappointing. Someone put it best a while back, what was it? oh yeah, something like "Game of the year, 2011!"

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

SgtSteel91 posted:

This video goes over the 1.06 patch changes to the opening bits and yikes, comparing the recent patch to release is very noticeable

https://youtu.be/OzVAClWI4UU
Like I said, they seemed to universally reduce the level of facial expression which was mostly an improvement since the expression was bad and actively broke immersion, but there are a few parts (Ryder gritting their teeth while waking up) that I thought were basically fine and didn't need to be removed.

Also all of this continuing iteration of the animations is still happening within the portion of the game that was subject to all the early-access ridicule. Odds are the later parts won't receive this kind of third pass or even a second pass, which will just make the game look even more rushed in retrospect.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 12, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How does the Research/Development screen work? I research blueprints and build them with the development? Theres a lot of poo poo on this.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

How does the Research/Development screen work? I research blueprints and build them with the development? Theres a lot of poo poo on this.

You spend science points to unlock a blueprint. You then have to hope the random resources gods have given you enough to build your gun or armor.

There's no firing range to test guns so you have to hope you didn't put in mods that make the gun bad or develop a bad gun. You can get around this by using the science station on a planet to r&d the gun, drive off to shoot some enemies and then reload a save before you research the gun if you hate it (this is important because for some research point categories you can't get a steady supply and thus have a limited amount)

It's a Bad System

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Zikan posted:

You spend science points to unlock a blueprint. You then have to hope the random resources gods have given you enough to build your gun or armor.

There's no firing range to test guns so you have to hope you didn't put in mods that make the gun bad or develop a bad gun. You can get around this by using the science station on a planet to r&d the gun, drive off to shoot some enemies and then reload a save before you research the gun if you hate it (this is important because for some research point categories you can't get a steady supply and thus have a limited amount)

It's a Bad System

You get almost everything you put into a weapon or armor back (including mods and augments) when you deconstruct it. You used to get 100% of the resources back too but I dunno maybe they changed that.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

You don't get the resources back 100% and some of the rare resources like element zero drop in small quantities unless you grind them and are used in a surprising number of blueprints.

I distinctly remember having to grind e-zero since the armor and half the weapons I was using needed it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Zikan posted:

You don't get the resources back 100% and some of the rare resources like element zero drop in small quantities unless you grind them and are used in a surprising number of blueprints.

I distinctly remember having to grind e-zero since the armor and half the weapons I was using needed it.

At the end of the game I had so many materials (even platinum, my personal roadblock) that it didn't matter, just like most RPGs.

Crafting is crafting is crafting in this game and every other game with crafting: useless until you figure out something you really like and only go for those things.

For me, it was the Heleus Icon armor set, the Crusader shotgun (gently caress pellet spread shotguns forever,) the Raptor sniper rifle, the Hurricane SMG, and the Hyperguardian armor set.

I hear the PAW is good, maybe I will gently caress around with that on another play through.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I was thinking about dead space and how the first two games are really good and the 3rd game sucks real hard. And while thinking I realized in the 3rd they switch to a lame universal ammo system, which was planned by EA to sell silver bullets to people for cash. Just how much it parallels what happened after ME2 and it going back to universal ammo. I think there's some crazy guy over at EA that through his years of making football games now wants to put universal ammo in all other video games. What series will be next?

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

?????

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Tenzarin posted:

I was thinking about dead space and how the first two games are really good and the 3rd game sucks real hard. And while thinking I realized in the 3rd they switch to a lame universal ammo system, which was planned by EA to sell silver bullets to people for cash. Just how much it parallels what happened after ME2 and it going back to universal ammo. I think there's some crazy guy over at EA that through his years of making football games now wants to put universal ammo in all other video games. What series will be next?

the ammo in ME has always been universal what the hell are you talking about

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I am terribly disappointed that the vintage heat sinks don't make the beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep noise from ME1

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

JawKnee posted:

the ammo in ME has always been universal what the hell are you talking about

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't the guns in ME2 all draw from a universal ammo pool so that if you ran out of bullets for one gun, you were out of bullets for all of them?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think the best way to put it is, if this game was just titled Andromeda and had been a different studio's project, it would have been viewed as a promising start to a new franchise, despite a few quirks.

But this is Mass Effect, and BioWare, and the standards set for those two things was not close to met.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sky Shadowing posted:

I think the best way to put it is, if this game was just titled Andromeda and had been a different studio's project, it would have been viewed as a promising start to a new franchise, despite a few quirks.

But this is Mass Effect, and BioWare, and the standards set for those two things was not close to met.

"Unknown studio produces bland buggy forgettable open worlder with dialogue that sounds like someone's crossover story on fanfiction.net"

"How did this ever get Steam greenlit?"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't the guns in ME2 all draw from a universal ammo pool so that if you ran out of bullets for one gun, you were out of bullets for all of them?

Not really.

ME's system was more like ammo boxes. Any ammo you find refills all your guns at once, but they all used their reserves separately. It was a pretty good system.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Not really.

ME's system was more like ammo boxes. Any ammo you find refills all your guns at once, but they all used their reserves separately. It was a pretty good system.

Ok yeah, that system is fine.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I just finished the game the other day, and it's not terrible. It's. It's not great either, but it's not that bad.

The answer, it seems is somewhere in the middle.

The answer, is up my rear end

because the game is poo poo

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

I think I remember the ammo you ran over only filling up the gun you had equipped at the time - my point was more that you never had to juggle separate ammo types, ever, in the series. So I don't get the point of bringing up needing universal ammo when all the ammo (with the notable exception of heavy weapons in ME2) is already able to work with every other weapon

There's even justification in universe for this as the 'ammo' isn't, well, ammo - it's a heat sink. The ammo is just bits of metal being shaved off a block that each gun already has in it and that effectively can't run out.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

exquisite tea posted:

but the brave haters

playa haters ball but it's about mass effect

[addressing Scott Ryder] "I hate you. I hate you. I don't even know you, and I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and nobody else but you."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Milky Moor posted:

playa haters ball but it's about mass effect

[addressing Scott Ryder] "I hate you. I hate you. I don't even know you, and I hate your guts. I hope all the bad things in life happen to you and nobody else but you."

"And now it's time to go home and put some water in Mac Walters' mama's dish."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

Wait a loving minute. DAI definitely had a mini-map. The first patch even tried to fix their stupid "Witcher sense" by putting icons on the the thing.

It has a circle in the bottom left with nothing drawn on it whatsoever. If you press the "search" key stuff lights up.
It's a step above what ME:A has but it's not a mini map. It's more like a radar.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Look you can't expect a hard sci-fi universe like Mass Effect to just up and invent some magic technology that lets you see things at long range in all directions

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Elotana posted:

Look you can't expect a hard sci-fi universe like Mass Effect to just up and invent some magic technology that lets you see things at long range in all directions

Like a quantum telescope?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzVAClWI4UU

Game bad etc etc, but this is pretty interesting to watch. They should've delayed the game by another few months.

I'm the children's toys and maybe anime in the background, and also the guys mustache lmao

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

I'm the children's toys and maybe anime in the background, and also the guys mustache lmao

Excuuuuuse me those are highly valuable limited edition collector's items! :byodood:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Can someone confirm if Peebee still holds her gun backwards in the new patch?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

video posted earlier shows no

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

hard counter posted:

as often as we've seen crass, drunken berserker dwarf.

I love how this particular stereotype was flipped on its head with what's his face Varric in DA2 and DAI

ashpanash posted:

I really can't recommend Horizon Zero Dawn enough.

Incidentally, I purchased Nier: Automata. Haven't played it yet, but based on other's recommendations, they have my money now.

Details of the setting aside, HZD plays and looks like I wanted MEA to play and look

DancingShade posted:

But DA2 is a masterpiece unfairly maligned by haters.

Just like ME:A is the space video game to end all space video games. It would be literally impossible to ever top the artistic vision of this incredibly coherent narrative.

It's the space opera Star Citizen wishes it was

JawKnee posted:

:lol:

'my face is tired' is still such a derpy poorly written line. How do you even write that and think "YEP, THAT'S HOW PEOPLE TALK"

I feel like there was some self-awareness in that line

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzVAClWI4UU

Game bad etc etc, but this is pretty interesting to watch. They should've delayed the game by another few months.

I played the game through as Scott Ryder with 1.05 so most of that Sara tomfoolery was new to me. (even though he had his shares of stupid expressions)

I mean just :lol: with her happy, dopey grin when discussing her father's death, or the fact that Kandros can't shake hands, or, or, or

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Never let things go, Goons.

Never let things go.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Never let things go, Goons.

Never let things go.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of the past...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JawKnee posted:

I think I remember the ammo you ran over only filling up the gun you had equipped at the time - my point was more that you never had to juggle separate ammo types, ever, in the series. So I don't get the point of bringing up needing universal ammo when all the ammo (with the notable exception of heavy weapons in ME2) is already able to work with every other weapon

There's even justification in universe for this as the 'ammo' isn't, well, ammo - it's a heat sink. The ammo is just bits of metal being shaved off a block that each gun already has in it and that effectively can't run out.

Didn't the early ME2 previews talk about still having an ME1 style heat system, with the ammo pickups being sinks so you could eject the overheated one and reload without having to wait to cool down?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn't the early ME2 previews talk about still having an ME1 style heat system, with the ammo pickups being sinks so you could eject the overheated one and reload without having to wait to cool down?

Yes.

From what I remember, it was cut because it 'confused' testers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
It's still left in the game, you just have to enable it in a .ini file.

It works, but it breaks gun balance something fierce.