Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
According to Protondb it runs via Proton 7 ootb, but there aren't a lot of reports. So all you have to do is upgrade to Linux and use a bug-for-bug compatible version of wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Antigravitas posted:

According to Protondb it runs via Proton 7 ootb, but there aren't a lot of reports. So all you have to do is upgrade to Linux and use a bug-for-bug compatible version of wine.

perfect

also, hey, Dread Delusion's out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qzA6gxomsU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ZearothK posted:

Dread Delusion's out!

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

This comes with a...doubling? of story content, if I remember right?

I disappointed myself yesterday trying to get Shadows of Doubt to run well on the steam deck and ultimately returned it, so I've got a hole to fill in my perfectly curated "15 installed games at a time" list.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
DOK>HW2>HW1>HW:C

DOK is just a fantastic game, and while there's some irony that the best Homeworld game is a "2D", planetside one, but it does a lot of clever things with depth and LOS and is, for my money, the best an RTS has ever controlled.
HW2 may lean too much into the space mysticism, but its actual campaign variety is far better than the original's, and I prefer its gameplay. The Hiigaran navy in this contains some of my absolutely favourite ship design, and the baddies look cool too,. Plus it has a huge mod scene.
HW1 is a classic for a reason, but while its minimalist story, its sense of exodus, and its overall atmosphere are incredibly memorable, the actual campaign is largely just a bunch of brief skirmish maps. There's a reason people remember the things you encounter more than what you actually do.
I dunno, I just think Cataclysm plays like crap. :shrug: I couldn't get into it whenever I tried to, so I've never played through the story. Some of the ships look cool.

I haven't played enough HW3 yet to rank it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mordja posted:

I dunno, I just think Cataclysm plays like crap. :shrug: I couldn't get into it whenever I tried to, so I've never played through the story. Some of the ships look cool.

I haven't played any Homeworld games but I do recommend looking up a playthrough of Cataclysm, it's really neat and atmospheric.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ZearothK posted:

perfect

I snagged this on a whim last week, must've discovered it via this thread. Only an hour in but it seems neat. Haven't been itching to load it back up again though :thunk:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That's a really cool looking game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

I haven't played any Homeworld games but I do recommend looking up a playthrough of Cataclysm, it's really neat and atmospheric.

Going to second this. The campaign really is worth a watch even if you detest the gameplay

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

An hour's not enough to really get hooked. Sometimes it takes a while, possibly even multiple sessions, especially if it's a more complex game.

I am now getting hooked on Yakuza Kiwami, it seems extremely similar to 0, presumably because it was remade in the same engine, but I don't mind. It's been almost five years since I played 0, give me more of those heavy drama cutscenes interspersed with silliness when you get back out into the street.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Alchenar posted:

I think RDR1 suffers most of all Rockstar's games pre- GTAV/RDR2 from the problem that as they move you around the map to get you to the different mission areas, the story just abandons characters and locations. I really enjoyed hanging about on the ranch in the first chapter of the game, and then those characters are just abandoned never to be seen again. GTAV solves this problem by having the main character be three characters and consciously expanding to use the whole map for most of the game so you revisit and get familiar with locations. RDR2 solves it by having the camp and bringing most of the cast with you for most of the game even as you abandon characters linked to particular locations. This is something I hope they lean more into in GTA6 - keep the world real, keep characters around.

RDR1 is also the absolute height of R* style "every single person you meet is a stupid rear end in a top hat or a pathetic victim who dies horribly. the end, no moral!" not just in the main story but in almost every side mission and even most random encounters. It's maybe the most cynical game they've ever made and it's kind of a miracle that RDR2 has as much heart as it does (though John is still a stupid rear end in a top hat in both games lol)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, and dang their 1.0 release is wiping saves.

At least the starting zone is all new so I won't really be "re-doing" it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hard disagree on that, RDR’s first arc at least ends by showing some genuine camaraderie among the weirdos and shitheads that made up John’s merry band. the game is cynical but it’s still miles ahead of the sneering sludge that was GTAV

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tiny Turbo's Turbo Trip, a 3D open-world silly platformer by the creator of Wuppo (think if A Short Hike was called A Short Drive for the gameplay), comes out on May 30th

Magical Delicacy, witchy life-sim platformer, comes out this summer

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Calling it now: Yakuza Kiwami speculation: Haruka actually is Kiryu's daughter, and her mother is Yumi, not Mizuki. If she's 9 years old and he was in prison for 10 years, it's possible. Only problem with this theory is it hinges on Kiryu having had sex at one point

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kiryu would never have sex. Gross.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

For all of Yakuza's machismo, Kiryu is hilariously neuter.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Kiryu has never murdered a man or gotten laid.

THIS IS CANON

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Phlegmish posted:

Calling it now: Yakuza Kiwami speculation: Haruka actually is Kiryu's daughter, and her mother is Yumi, not Mizuki. If she's 9 years old and he was in prison for 10 years, it's possible. Only problem with this theory is it hinges on Kiryu having had sex at one point

i love it when people new to yakuza think kiryu has ever had sex

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Anyone involved in slot car racing is a permanent virgin, it's one of the main plot threads of the series

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

drat horror queefs posted:

Kiryu has never murdered a man or gotten laid.

THIS IS CANON

So when I was running people through with a katana earlier, that was non-lethal? He truly is one of a kind.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Squiggle posted:

Anyone involved in slot car racing is a permanent virgin, it's one of the main plot threads of the series

that’s unfair, kiryu and pocket circuit man teach the kids good life lessons so they don’t become like them

Phlegmish posted:

So when I was running people through with my katana earlier, that was non-lethal? He truly is one of a kind.

unironically yes

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

So when I was running people through with a katana earlier, that was non-lethal? He truly is one of a kind.

Healthcare in Kamurocho is pretty dang good

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKzWB3sDFc

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

hard disagree on that, RDR’s first arc at least ends by showing some genuine camaraderie among the weirdos and shitheads that made up John’s merry band. the game is cynical but it’s still miles ahead of the sneering sludge that was GTAV

Yeah the first arc of preparing to storm the Fort and take down Bill is a genuinely good bit of classic teambuilding as you run around doing favour for people and building trust with them. And then having gotten to know these characters and gotten attached to them, the game says 'right done with you, and they're abandoned'.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

That waiter jacket was bulletproof, he's just passed out from the impact.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kiryu is aware sex exists but thinks it involves a minigame he hasn't figure out how to unlock yet so he never has it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Behavior Interactive page seems to be more stable now. If you make an account and link it to your Steam account, you can get a free copy of their Dead by Daylight spinoff, What The Fog.

https://twitter.com/Behaviour/status/1790472502902456542

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

ZearothK posted:

perfect

This owns. Such a good Deck game as well

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Defeating Majima at the batting cages is loving impossible for me right now. I just get destroyed by his bat spam or whatever he's doing. Time to load an earlier save and do some more grinding in the open world.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I like revisiting retro aesthetics and styles but I can't say I'm a fan of things like having the Z-buffer make textures warbly and wobbly. You may as well reduce the frame rate and add loading times, too, if you're going to do that.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ps1 era wobbly textures aren't because of the z-buffer they're because of non-perspective-correct interpolation in the triangle rasteriser

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

credburn posted:

I like revisiting retro aesthetics and styles but I can't say I'm a fan of things like having the Z-buffer make textures warbly and wobbly. You may as well reduce the frame rate and add loading times, too, if you're going to do that.

The game has settings to make the world breath less. I think they are literally called "Wobbly 3D" and "Wobbly Textures" but I'm away from my desk so I can't actually check

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

credburn posted:

You can turn them off, I do. It hurts my eyes

e:

Barreft fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 15, 2024

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
People say it's "harmless" to give children a PS1 rather than an N64, but as we can see it can cause long-lasting consequences even decades down the line.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Snake Maze posted:

People say it's "harmless" to give children a PS1 rather than an N64, but as we can see it can cause long-lasting consequences even decades down the line.

Look just because Sony's engineers read ahead in the textbook doesn't mean it's a bad console

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

kazil posted:

Kiryu would never have sex. Gross.

Orv
May 4, 2011

He means to McDonalds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mordja posted:

DOK is just a fantastic game, and while there's some irony that the best Homeworld game is a "2D", planetside one, but it does a lot of clever things with depth and LOS and is, for my money, the best an RTS has ever controlled.
HW2 may lean too much into the space mysticism, but its actual campaign variety is far better than the original's, and I prefer its gameplay. The Hiigaran navy in this contains some of my absolutely favourite ship design, and the baddies look cool too,. Plus it has a huge mod scene.
HW1 is a classic for a reason, but while its minimalist story, its sense of exodus, and its overall atmosphere are incredibly memorable, the actual campaign is largely just a bunch of brief skirmish maps. There's a reason people remember the things you encounter more than what you actually do.

I haven't played enough HW3 yet to rank it.

Didn't realize we where in the opposite-day thread, did you never encounter HW2's bollocks fleet scaling? Where the enemy gets something like 3 dreadnoughts if you dare build your own? Game guides at the time where suggesting you scuttle your fleet after every mission, until the remaster came out. Nevermind the poor-taste stuff like importing blizzard's UI, adding damage types and hard unit counters, etc.

The missions where better tweaked to stress multitasking, for sure, but that's almost the only thing it did right.

edit: Do we have a homeworld thread? I feel my frothing at the mouth would go better in there.