Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

anyone that's been around SV (or even just know people who were/are) already knew this

i mean, i'm glad she's speaking out about it — most people don't know about this kind of poo poo going on — but it has been for literal decades, and definitely didn't start with openai. hell, they weren't even the first to have hundreds of billions of dollars sloshing around in a gross drugged out nerd orgy. in that sense, their integration with microsoft is a good fit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

quote:

There are so many brilliant, kind, amazing people at OpenAI, and there are so many brilliant, kind, and amazing people in Anthropic/EA/Google/[insert whatever group]

hahahhahahhahahahha

ok whatever makes you feel better but they’re bad, dumb, and hurtful people.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

SV devs are gross as gently caress

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rotor posted:

i dont do my taxes

same, we figured that out in the 1960s

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Eeyo posted:

hahahhahahhahahahha

ok whatever makes you feel better but they’re bad, dumb, and hurtful people.

ADINSX posted:

SV devs are gross as gently caress

maybe the next batch of altruist atheist stanford vc psycho nerds will be better :shepface:

*shakes magic gpt-ball for the name of their new facade*

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 18, 2024

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
i lived in sf/sv for 4 years and i have no idea what the gently caress "the community house scene in SF" even means

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

is it supposed to be the shared hacker house like in silicon valley, the tv show?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dc3k posted:

i lived in sf/sv for 4 years and i have no idea what the gently caress "the community house scene in SF" even means

i thought it was just a fancy way of saying you shared an apartment with your coworkers

or maybe its like the one that burnt down in oakland, that type of scene?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

i thought it was just a fancy way of saying you shared an apartment with your coworkers

or maybe its like the one that burnt down in oakland, that type of scene?

this poo poo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
most people who live here have no idea about this poo poo, it's just a small scene but they're very loud and ~influential~ in certain tech dork circles

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

gross

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

au contraire, pre dot-com boom geeks are fine because they're just gentle nerds who just want to do drugs on the santa cruz boardwalk and additionally touch a computer, none of this modern-day MBA-wannabe javascript bootcamp bro poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Dijkstracula posted:

au contraire, pre dot-com boom geeks are fine because they're just gentle nerds who just want to do drugs on the santa cruz boardwalk and additionally touch a computer, none of this modern-day MBA-wannabe javascript bootcamp bro poo poo

fair cop. if anybody in the polycule has strong opinions on gopher, i can sail with their wind

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

midjack's link has got me reading geek dot org's UCSC shared computing archive and man I'm even more regretful that I did not go to UCSC

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Dijkstracula posted:

yeah it was mostly just a house with parties where there were no bros and dedicated internet and a bunch of servers which was a big deal before cable and dsl

a lot of the time they were owned by someone who was an early employee somewhere like sun or hp. knock-down bungalows in the valley or santa cruz didn’t cost $2 million 30 years ago and there weren’t a lot of decent apartments. it was less of a thing in the city because you could actually get your own place

e: lots of rpg/board games/lan parties too, basically by 3am people were either playing doom or in a weird fat grope pile in the basement

qirex fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 18, 2024

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

qirex posted:

yeah it was mostly just a house with parties where there were no bros and dedicated internet and a bunch of servers which was a big deal before cable and dsl

a lot of the time they were owned by someone who was an early employee somewhere like sun or hp. knock-down bungalows in the valley or santa cruz didn’t cost $2 million 30 years ago and there weren’t a lot of decent apartments. it was less of a thing in the city because you could actually get your own place

e: lots of rpg/board games/lan parties too, basically by 3am people were either playing doom or in a weird fat grope pile in the basement

good for them i would hate it

singleplayer ftw

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
It doesnt count as groping if u do it to yourself

koolkal fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 20, 2024

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Beeftweeter posted:

anyone that's been around SV (or even just know people who were/are) already knew this

i mean, i'm glad she's speaking out about it — most people don't know about this kind of poo poo going on — but it has been for literal decades, and definitely didn't start with openai. hell, they weren't even the first to have hundreds of billions of dollars sloshing around in a gross drugged out nerd orgy. in that sense, their integration with microsoft is a good fit
a lot of the reporting we used to get on this was from places like valleywag. now it's just gauche to report on i guess

the memory of eric schmidt's soundproofed penthouse apartment is still fresh in my memory

and then there's the matter of poo poo like andy rubin's time at google

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

i'm sorry are the parties cnc-themed? that particular hosed-up detail is new to me

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

kliras posted:

a lot of the reporting we used to get on this was from places like valleywag. now it's just gauche to report on i guess

yeah valleywag outing peter thiel and getting their parent company destroyed by a vindictive billionaire kinda put a damper on it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

raminasi posted:

i'm sorry are the parties cnc-themed? that particular hosed-up detail is new to me

exhaustive dick rotations

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

these people are loving nuts. not the fun kind of nuts that got us el topo and the holy mountain. the other kind of nuts that got us jonestown

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 18, 2024

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

raminasi posted:

do they chase people around like pepe le pew or something? I'it cant just be the thinnest veneer of legality while they sexually assault every woman at the party

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it can't?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

shoulda read the small text on the party invite if you didnt want to be sexually assaulted smh

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the genius stemlords who brought us the current state of technology in 2024 couldn't be doing something disgusting, morally reprehensible, and blatantly illegal on the premise that no one will stop them?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

DELETE CASCADE posted:

most people who live here have no idea about this poo poo, it's just a small scene but they're very loud and ~influential~ in certain tech dork circles

every generation convinces themselves that they’re the ones that invented sex and drugs. i’m now old enough that i’ve seen this exact story out of sv multiple times now

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

raminasi posted:

The terms and conditions for the rape party caused everyone to assume that they would be the one doing all the raping, but alas

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

PIZZA.BAT posted:

every generation convinces themselves that they’re the ones that invented sex and drugs. i’m now old enough that i’ve seen this exact story out of sv multiple times now

lol yeah, pretty much this, and i'm still in my mid 30s. hell most of the stories i've heard from people personally come from people that are, at most, probably 55

i'm sure like 120 years ago j.d. rockefeller or whichever "top of their game" industrialist you wanna pick probably also had some sick poo poo going on around opium dens, maybe rotor has some anecdotes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this sounds exactly like epstein or diddy poo poo. wonder what kind of cameras are in that house.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

these people are loving nuts. not the fun kind of nuts that got us el topo and the holy mountain. the other kind of nuts that got us jonestown

yeah, even disregarding all of the "rape party" poo poo sonia is still like "i want to devote my entire brain to ai research", which, considering her experiences with ai research, makes it sound incredibly culty

post hole digger posted:

this sounds exactly like epstein or diddy poo poo. wonder what kind of cameras are in that house.

probably a ton and likely all connected to some horrifically insecure cloud thing lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raminasi posted:

well, the amount of hosed up that is depends on how seriously the first c is taken

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

well, the amount of hosed up that is depends on how seriously the first c is taken

im going to guess as seriously as SV tech lords treat it with their customers

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

im going to guess as seriously as SV tech lords treat it with their customers

yep. couldn't have put it better myself, lol

i mean, probably, anyway. i can't say i've ever been to one of those "parties" but we know that crowd's general mindset pretty well

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

For whatever reason no tweets load for me so I can’t see the tweet, but based on the discussion around it I’m not mad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Wayne Knight posted:

For whatever reason no tweets load for me so I can’t see the tweet, but based on the discussion around it I’m not mad.

Tl;Dr the openAI stemlords have been running LSD fueled "consensual-nonconsensual" (rape) sex parties in the valley, in the latest iteration of something rich men who think they're gods have been doing for ten thousand years

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nice avatar

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Wayne Knight posted:

For whatever reason no tweets load for me so

elon had them kill off the twitter.com domain, so it's likely that has something to do with it

embeds still work for me, and someone in the musk thread noted that "platform.x.com" (which ostensibly serves embeds) actually resolves to "platform.twitter.com" before redirecting back to x.com lol

their server configs are obviously pretty hosed up, even more so than before. i wouldn't be surprised in the least if that were why, and i don't have a lot of confidence in the everything site staff being able to unfuck it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

i am a lot more insulted by the implication that i'm an engineer than the implication that i'm a swiftie.