Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
It's a 3070Ti (EVGA FTW3).

It does follow the text when I scroll and disappears if I highlight the text or zoom to pretty much any level.

Oh man! I was all ready to say that I tried every refresh rate with the same result but I didn't try dropping it down to 60, so now I did and it really looks like that took care of it. It didn't help me find an answer on Google, I hope it helps you narrow down the problem! I'll get in touch with Gigabyte support. I'm holding onto hope that it can be fixed 'cause I kinda need this monitor for work and can't wait for a month-long RMA and newegg's returns don't have the best reputation right now.

Edit: This is the weirdest loving thing; I said it happens with text on white backgrounds but actually it seems to only happen on SA. If I go to any other website, I bunch of which have black text over white backgrounds, everything is fine. If I take a screenshot, the screenshot looks fine. I'm seriously confused at what could be causing this...

CordlessPen fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CordlessPen posted:

Edit: This is the weirdest loving thing; I said it happens with text on white backgrounds but actually it seems to only happen on SA. If I go to any other website, I bunch of which have black text over white backgrounds, everything is fine. If I take a screenshot, the screenshot looks fine. I'm seriously confused at what could be causing this...

Holy poo poo, Lowtax’s ghost is haunting your Monitor thread!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CordlessPen posted:

It's a 3070Ti (EVGA FTW3).

It does follow the text when I scroll and disappears if I highlight the text or zoom to pretty much any level.

Oh man! I was all ready to say that I tried every refresh rate with the same result but I didn't try dropping it down to 60, so now I did and it really looks like that took care of it. It didn't help me find an answer on Google, I hope it helps you narrow down the problem! I'll get in touch with Gigabyte support. I'm holding onto hope that it can be fixed 'cause I kinda need this monitor for work and can't wait for a month-long RMA and newegg's returns don't have the best reputation right now.

I had something similar happen to me on the XB273U GX, but only at low refresh rates. At high refresh rates, there were no artifacts around text, but at low refresh rates I would see stuff like that. And it was primarily on SA--other sites tended to be fine, though I'd occasionally see issues elsewhere too. I posted about the problem here, but nobody had an answer and I never figured it out.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I had something similar happen to me on the XB273U GX, but only at low refresh rates. At high refresh rates, there were no artifacts around text, but at low refresh rates I would see stuff like that. And it was primarily on SA--other sites tended to be fine, though I'd occasionally see issues elsewhere too. I posted about the problem here, but nobody had an answer and I never figured it out.

im not sure whether its the coating or the subpixels layout but i had the same monitor before and its such a smeary mess that hurt my eyes that i sold it shortly afterwards

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Yeah, maybe I'm just not using the right terms when I Google it but it seems like it's never happened to anyone else ever. I started the returns process with Newegg (still in my 30-day return-for-any-reason window) but I'm not sure I'll go through with it since I'd have to buy something else before I send it in order to be able to work and even in the 30-day window I'm afraid they'll refuse it because I don't have the manual anymore or something and I'll be stuck with both.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

try browsing SA in dark mode, if this is only an SA text thing maybe that'll make it go away forever

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Try Firefox as well if you've only tried Chrome. I had something that I think was the same thing. It just went away one day, but it also didn't happen with Firefox so I think it was probably more related to Chrome rendering certain text as resolution.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This seems like an interesting alternative to the Samsung Odyssey G9: https://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-49wq95c-w

It's a 5120x1440 144Hz LG Nano IPS display with Freesync/Gsync compatibility. It's not advertised as a gaming monitor though, which I suspect is because of the response times. LG advertises this as "5ms GtG" which is actually pretty high considering they advertise their Ultra Gear monitors (e.g. 27GP850) as 1ms GtG. Both advertised response times are probably BS, but the takeaway is that LG is indicating that the response times are significantly worse on the 49WQ95C. That may limit its usefulness as a gaming monitor compared to the Odyssey G9, but it could be a good general purpose work-at-home/media/light gaming monitor thanks to the wider viewing angles and better colors IPS displays offer, not to mention the much less severe curve. Currently it's on sale for $1000 at Amazon, while the G9 is $1100.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 1, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Looking for a "gaming" monitor for PS5 and Xbox Series X, 24 inches at least - 120Hz is probably preferable to 4K if it comes down to a choice between the two. Budget is between £150-£200 but willing to consider options higher than that. Any ideas?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Looking for a "gaming" monitor for PS5 and Xbox Series X, 24 inches at least - 120Hz is probably preferable to 4K if it comes down to a choice between the two. Budget is between £150-£200 but willing to consider options higher than that. Any ideas?

You're definitely not getting 4K at that budget, but there's plenty of 1920x1080 144Hz-175Hz monitors, I don't think you can go particularly wrong with any IPS in that price range.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That reminds me. I'm getting a new monitor for christmas so I'm planning on giving my nephew my original ROG Swift for his XSX, as its currently outputting to a 32" 720p no name panel. The Swift only has DP in, will a DP-HDMI cable allow the Xbox to output 1440p@144hz?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ijyt posted:

You're definitely not getting 4K at that budget, but there's plenty of 1920x1080 144Hz-175Hz monitors, I don't think you can go particularly wrong with any IPS in that price range.

PS5 VRR might be a stretch too, the Xbox can use whatever Freesync monitor but the PS5 only does VRR over HDMI 2.1 which means you need a pretty recent model

https://old.reddit.com/r/PS5/comments/ucbp8d/vrr_compatible_monitortv_list_for_ps5_2022/

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Leperflesh posted:

try browsing SA in dark mode, if this is only an SA text thing maybe that'll make it go away forever

Hey, guess how I learned that SA has a dark mode!

Lockback posted:

Try Firefox as well if you've only tried Chrome. I had something that I think was the same thing. It just went away one day, but it also didn't happen with Firefox so I think it was probably more related to Chrome rendering certain text as resolution.

Unfortunately the same thing happens in Edge, Firefox and Chrome.

Dark mode definitely works for now, at the very least until I find something else that triggers the problem. I might still look into getting something else around Black Friday but I don't want to pay more than I did for a 1440 monitor and I don't quite have the hardware to really run 4k.

Although, quick napkin maths tell me that running 4k with DLSS on balanced shouldn't look worse than 1440 with DLSS on quality, right?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Sorry that this is off-topic, but is there a thread similar to this for TVs?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The TV thread is over in IYG

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Thank you! No wonder I couldn't find it.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I picked up the LG C2 42incher from Best Buy over the weekend and I'm really enjoying it!

Luckily I have a very deep desk at 31.5" so I'm able to push it all the way back and not feel overwhelmed by the screen during desktop use. During gaming it's extremely comfortable and doesn't feel much different than my 27" IPS I replaced it with, besides the much better panel response times and amazing black levels. I was really worried that 42" would be too large, I'm glad it working out.

There is a stickied post on the OLED gaming subreddit with recommended settings and tweaks for the display. Highly recommended. I really appreciate the LG Companion app that sends wake on LAN commands so the display acts identically to a monitor.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ijyt posted:

How about this? Decent for the price?

AOC Gaming 27G2U - 27 Inch FHD Monitor,144Hz,1ms, IPS, AMD FreeSync, Height adjust, Speakers, USB Hub, Low Input Lag (1920x1080 @ 144Hz 250cd/m², HDMI/DP/VGA/USB 3.0) https://amzn.eu/d/aqIOHn5

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

this is currently well outside your price range on this Amazon listing, but when I sold one used on here a couple weeks ago I found a listing for $280 new. I paid $800 for one of these in 2017 and loved every minute of it until I got a 48" OLED recently

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-2560x1440-Display/dp/B0173PEX20

let me see if I can find a lower price at present. Note that there were several versions, the non IPS is, obviously, cheaper, so watch out. you want this specific model.

edit: bang, $280 straight from Acer. Man I loved this panel, wish they made a 48" 4k ;)

https://store.acer.com/en-us/27-pre...pBoChlgQAvD_BwE

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

What’s considered a “good” DCI-P3 for a $200 gaming monitor? I’m testing NZXT’s 25”, 240hz 1080 monitor and measured it at 84%, which… is pretty low. I really like it otherwise and I don’t think you’d buy this thing to edit photos on

change my name fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 1, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

change my name posted:

What’s considered a “good” DCI-P3 for $200 gaming monitor? I’m testing NZXT’s 240hz 1080 monitor and measured it at 84%, which… is pretty low. I really like it otherwise and I don’t think you’d buy this thing to edit photos on…

That sounds about right. 1080p monitors always end up with duller panels, for whatever reason.

That said, you edit photos in the sRGB color space unless you're editing them for print, in which case you use adobe RGB.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That sounds about right. 1080p monitors always end up with duller panels, for whatever reason.

That said, you edit photos in the sRGB color space unless you're editing them for print, in which case you use adobe RGB.

It did score 99.6% on sRGB so that’s not terrible, but good to know I guess (though the Adobe RGB result was 74%). It’s honestly a pretty good first attempt from them

change my name fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 1, 2022

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I have a Mac, and I’ve given up on the 4k thing text rendering at 1440p, and I don’t have the scratch for a Studio Display. So I’m now in the market I think for a nice 1440p monitor.

I’m basically a software developer in the marketing department, so I do a lot of code work, but I also have to cut demo videos and make graphics and stuff like that, usually at 1080p so 4k isn’t necessary, nor is super-accurate color space, I’m not sending things to a printer.

The highest frame rate I’ve ever had on an external display is 60, but I think I’d like to try moving up to 120 or 144 as I really like the smoothness of the MacBook display (it has “pro motion”).

The other major requirement I have is SDR brightness because I work in a very well lit coworking space.

Budget range is probably no more than $500.

I think this is the kind of thing I’m looking for: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27GL850-B-gaming-monitor

but it’s hard to get past all the gamer marketing buzzwords to figure out if it’s what I really need. Thanks for any and all assistance!

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003
Is there a decent monitor that can do 4k and have local dimming disabled for productivity easily or per input, multiple inputs (MacBook Pro work laptop and gaming PC)? Looking for something I can put on my 25.5”.

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
Is there a reason why the M32U Arm Edition is 549 and the standard M32U is 729?

As far as I can tell they're the same monitor and if anything the ergonomic arm makes it MORE valuable than less?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

punissuer posted:

As far as I can tell they're the same monitor and if anything the ergonomic arm makes it MORE valuable than less?

The arm seems weird and awkward due to it not having an "elbow"-like point of articulation. But other than that, I believe it's the same panel. Gigabyte is just weird about pricing sometimes is my only explanation. $550 is a good price for the M32U, especially if you already have a real arm you're gonna mount that onto.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Also, we're just starting to crack monitor sale season. There's a solid month of insane deals coming up, followed by often a bit of a lul in december, and then insane deals again in early january. If you're one of the people who has somehow bought a 30 or 40 series GPU (of any sort) and you don't have at least 1440p and at least 144hz, it's time to watch this thread. I'm seeing WAY too many people post about kneecapping a $600 GPU with a $50 monitor.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

K8.0 posted:

Also, we're just starting to crack monitor sale season. There's a solid month of insane deals coming up, followed by often a bit of a lul in december, and then insane deals again in early january. If you're one of the people who has somehow bought a 30 or 40 series GPU (of any sort) and you don't have at least 1440p and at least 144hz, it's time to watch this thread. I'm seeing WAY too many people post about kneecapping a $600 GPU with a $50 monitor.

Agreed, the Gigabyte M27Q-P is only $250 on Newegg today (and they'll refund you the difference if it goes on sale for Black Friday): https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012050

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

punissuer posted:

Yeah, I did the same double-take but it is exactly the same monitor. That price discrepancy seems a bit weird though; here in Canada the AE is 840$ CAD and the regular one is 900$ (technically I think MSRP is 1150 but I've never seen it not discounted).

With that price difference I think I'd actually go for the regular edition if I were to use the stand, but if you're mounting it to a different mount anyway it's a no brainer.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do you guys find out if your oled has burn-in or not?

I've been using my monitor wrong for a month and I'm curious.

Mr. Torrance
Sep 16, 2006
Have you ever thought about MY RESPONSIBILITIES?
gently caress, should have posted this in the TV thread instead, I'm an idiot.

Mr. Torrance fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 2, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr. Torrance posted:

I recently bought my first OLED (LG C2 42 inches) to use as a computer monitor and constantly had eye problems for the last month or so.

I tried everything, from moving further away from the screen, bias lighting, etc. and nothing worked.

I slowly realized, because almost no one is talking about this since people are all 'OLED IS THE BEST NO DOWNSIDES NO BLUR', that my eyes are having huge issues with the blur caused by sample-and-hold technology. My eyes would just constantly unfocus from stuff moving due to the blurriness and apparently the only way to solve the blur from that is :

1. Higher refresh rate
2. Black frame insertion

And guess what the LG C2 does not have compared to the C1 or CX? BFI at 120HZ. So I basically bought a new model only for it to have less features, so now the OLED is sitting in its box, about to be returned for a refund. 60HZ with BFI enabled did really make the blur better but this is a 120HZ monitor and I'm on PC, limiting myself to 60HZ sucks when I could probably just get the C1 or CX for the 120HZ BFI. It really is a shame because 42 inches was kinda perfect and the OLED tech is great, beside the blur.

I can't be the only person with that issue, or am I?

Are you sure your issue stems from the panel being sample-and-hold? Because LCDs are sample-and-hold displays too, so the C2 shouldn't be any different than LCDs in that regard.

edit: This is a valid topic for the monitor thread. We talk about using OLED TVs as monitors all the time here.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Ihmemies posted:

How do you guys find out if your oled has burn-in or not?

I've been using my monitor wrong for a month and I'm curious.
it will be noticeable when the screen is all one color, try white or gray

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

change my name posted:

Agreed, the Gigabyte M27Q-P is only $250 on Newegg today (and they'll refund you the difference if it goes on sale for Black Friday): https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012050

I wouldn't likely buy a monitor from Newegg. Their return policy sucks. Amazon is the best because they DGAF and returns are easy. That aside, that's an excellent deal and a harbinger of good things to come.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Does a KVM switch introduce any lag? I guess I'm asking about my USB-based peripherals (mouse) as much as my monitors.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The PG42UQ is finally available here but before I buy it I want to make sure how to properly mount it on a stand. It has VESA 300x300 which the monitor arm I want to buy (Ergotron HX) doesn't support. On https://www.ergotron.com/en-us/products/product-details/45-475 it says:

quote:

Mounting Standards: VESA MIS-D, 75/100 (hole pattern = 100 x 100 mm & 75 x 75 mm), MIS-E (hole pattern = 200 x 100 mm), MIS-F (hole pattern = 200 x 200 mm ONLY). Optional VESA Bracket Adaptor Kit (97-759) can be ordered separately for MIS-F interface with hole pattern of 400 x 200 mm, 400 x 300 mm or 400 x 400 mm

So apparently it supports everything but 300x300mm?! Shouldn't 300x300 be easy to do if it goes up to 400x400?

How do people mount such heavy monitors? It apparently weighs 13.6 kg without the stand.

edit: even their adaptor https://www.ergotron.com/en-us/products/product-details/97-759 seemingly supports everything BUT 300x300. What am I missing?

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 3, 2022

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Doom Mathematic posted:

Does a KVM switch introduce any lag? I guess I'm asking about my USB-based peripherals (mouse) as much as my monitors.
Depends on the switch and in some cases which port you connect to.

Most KVM switches beyond the absolute cheapest intercept the keyboard and sometimes the mouse to allow for hotkey switching and to present a consistent dummy device to the upstream systems that's always there even when that system is not selected. This could potentially cause lag but is more likely to just prevent the mouse/keyboard from going beyond the USB HID base profile which would prevent high refresh rates or other advanced features from working.

If the switch has more than two USB ports it's common for two to be specific for mouse and keyboard and have this "feature" while the rest are literally just a USB hub that you're effectively switching the upstream cable. In that case you can plug a mouse/keyboard in to those ports and the switch should have no impact on performance or functionality, but you'll lose hotkey switching and your host systems will be seeing the keyboard and mouse just get unplugged when you switch away.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

lordfrikk posted:

The PG42UQ is finally available here but before I buy it I want to make sure how to properly mount it on a stand. It has VESA 300x300 which the monitor arm I want to buy (Ergotron HX) doesn't support. On https://www.ergotron.com/en-us/products/product-details/45-475 it says:

So apparently it supports everything but 300x300mm?! Shouldn't 300x300 be easy to do if it goes up to 400x400?

How do people mount such heavy monitors? It apparently weighs 13.6 kg without the stand.

edit: even their adaptor https://www.ergotron.com/en-us/products/product-details/97-759 seemingly supports everything BUT 300x300. What am I missing?

Just get this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MCMTCP3/?coliid=I2TL4AF6CCW3AF&colid=15WQ9Q344TVV1&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Thanks but this also states:

quote:

Makes it possible for 50x50mm, 75x75mm, and 100x100mm VESA mounts to fit 200x100mm, 200x200mm, 200x300mm, 200x400mm, 300x200mm, and 400x200mm VESA hole patterns.

Really, what am I missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

lordfrikk posted:

Thanks but this also states:

Really, what am I missing here?

The product isn’t square. The hole pattern is dependent on orientation.
I’d assumed that monitor would work but I guess not.
I know for a fact the C1/C2 do though.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 3, 2022