Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Too bad there's no 10GigE on the non-Pro iMacs, you could get a Storinator: http://45drives.blogspot.ca/2016/05/how-to-tune-nas-for-direct-from-server.html

because that would be a lot more fun than a typical consumer NAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

With all this talk of a new entry level $799-$899 MacBook with a Retina display, I really wonder how Apple is going to be able to justify a $1299 price tag for the 13" MacBook Pro.

I know quite a few friends over the past couple years who went with a MacBook Pro because of the retina display alone.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Macbook Pro will have a much better processor and cooling solution, of course. Probably better ports, some OLED poo poo.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

OLED is gonna drive the price up even further.

Doubt we'll see it on any MacBooks / Pros until economies of scale make its production as affordable as current LED based tech.

Still eyeing the CalDigit TS3 Plus, looks like a good deal for only $249, $269 if I want a long enough TS3 cable.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 13, 2018

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

How many clients for the media dump station, what's the budget? Promise Pegasus, Mac Mini as server, 10gig switch. LaCie rack mounted TB2 storage has failed on us a few times, but the Promise Pegasus was rock solid & we could edit off of it with 3 Mac Pros on 10gig.
Really wish there was a TB3 Mac without a screen. Many NUCs have it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
MBP also doesn't have a dumb out of style knife edge form factor.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

MBP also doesn't have a dumb out of style knife edge form factor.

But... how will you cut cake in an emergency?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kuskus posted:

How many clients for the media dump station, what's the budget?

< $1,000 I would imagine

2 27" iMacs

Currently on gigabit

The idea is they'll edit on their machines but keep the clips there instead of on the file server

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Proteus Jones posted:

Literally anything.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Proteus Jones posted:

iPhone?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I forgot to include that each Mac has a Sanlink 10gb to TB2 adapter as well; not the cheapest.
Separately I also discovered that you can actually daisy chain machines through Thunderbolt, there's a network protocol for it, but that seems iffy and would require all the machines to be on all the time. Plus expensive long Thunderbolt cables.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Finally pulled the trigger on the 2016 MBP with 512GB SSD and 16GB RAM.

I can’t wait to NOT wait 10 minutes for my iMac to boot up and then another 5 for Photoshop, and another 5 for Illustrator and...

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Can anyone help me with a dumb audio problem?

I'm trying to send audio out from the headphone jack on a Macbook Pro into an iPhone via a cable. I know this needs to be a TRRS cable in order to have the signal detected as a microphone- can anyone recommend a cable that will work for this? Thank you

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1048151-REG/rode_sc4_trs_to_trrs_adaptor.html

It's just a TRS to TRRS with the pins rearranged to put the TRS on the Mic/Ground loop instead of the L/Ground R/Ground loop

You can make one yourself at home if you have the pieces and a soldering iron

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I tried one of those but I think its mic level and not line level. However I'll give it a spin again. Thank you.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

The adapter doesn't care, it's dumb, just wires on one plug connected to wires on the other. If you need to modulate the signal you need something more than a passive adapter. I can't really help you there, that's out of my wheelhouse.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Although if your intent is to get some audio from the MBP onto the iPhone, might I recommend some way to transfer the file digitally?

Like why are you doing this

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I ask myself that all the time..

I was asked by a client to playback video/audio from a Mac and shoot the screen with an iPhone for a faux-Instagram live piece.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

God help your soul.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Pivo posted:

God help your soul.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Might just be easier to have the Mac record any audio playback, then remux the audio an video later on?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Might just be easier to have the Mac record any audio playback, then remux the audio an video later on?

He's trying to fake a live stream, no post allowed! Gotta do it all in-camera! *cough*

I don't really know what the iPhone would do with line-level on the Mic input. It might be OK if you turn the volume alllllll the way down on the source. I dunno I've literally never heard anyone doing that. Might be easier to emulate iOS (Xcode etc) and use "mic" input from the host system.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Considering its 4K Alexa footage I am feeling extra dirty about doing these

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

magiccarpet posted:

Considering its 4K Alexa footage I am feeling extra dirty about doing these

What the gently caress

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You rigging it on its side?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

There are just so many questions

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Its all insane but this is the way the world is going.

Instagram Stories verticals are 1080x1920 so you need to shoot bigger than standard HD to fill the frame or else you're scaling up. Or, yes, shooting on its side - which I've seen done.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

I ask myself that all the time..

I was asked by a client to playback video/audio from a Mac and shoot the screen with an iPhone for a faux-Instagram live piece.

:(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What an absolute waste of money, god drat

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is it for Justice League 2?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

lmao

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Shaocaholica posted:

:golfclap:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Is the Insignia 90 watt USB C charger a good option for a spare MBP charger I can leave at my desk at work?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I would never gently caress with third party macbook chargers, especially new USB-C ones. The official Apple charger is only $30 more, do it etc

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pzy posted:

I would never gently caress with third party macbook chargers, especially new USB-C ones. The official Apple charger is only $30 more, do it etc

Has anyone made a list of good USB-C chargers, like that guy did for USB-C cables?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

https://bensonapproved.com/usb-type-c-wall-chargers/

These are the ones Benson liked, but none of them are high-wattage. Based on what I read online, the Apple USB-C laptop chargers are considered the gold standard, with people buying them for non-Apple laptops too, but the Insignia one is well-reviewed ...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I was going off Wirecutter's USB-C laptop charger guide.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-c-macbook-and-laptop-chargers/

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

pzy posted:

I use the Anker 4 port + usb-c brick to charge my MBP/Switch + other things and it's great

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pivo posted:

https://bensonapproved.com/usb-type-c-wall-chargers/

These are the ones Benson liked, but none of them are high-wattage. Based on what I read online, the Apple USB-C laptop chargers are considered the gold standard, with people buying them for non-Apple laptops too, but the Insignia one is well-reviewed ...

Apple's USB-C chargers are the gold standard for Apple equipment. Not other equipment.

Nathan K did some research and found that Apple plays fast and loose with the USB-C standard, pretty much overhauling the USB-C protocol with their own proprietary protocol. And this protocol tends to only handshake/communicate well with Apple devices that have been programmed precisely to follow this internal protocol.

For this reason among others, if you plug an Apple USB-C 61W into a Nintendo Switch, the Switch will tell you to use the OEM Nintendo adapter. The 29W USB-C adapter works just fine though.

Also, as the Milkman says, I agree that Anker is a good brand, they pay attention to detail when it comes to power protocols, I've used and recommended their MacBook series replacement batteries and their USB hubs with no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

For this reason among others, if you plug an Apple USB-C 61W into a Nintendo Switch, the Switch will tell you to use the OEM Nintendo adapter

Is this a new firmware thing on the Switch? I've read a lot of people successfully using the Apple 61W to charge the Switch, it's on a few recommended lists specifically for the Switch in undocked mode. I can't seem to find any people describing this issue. Not saying it's not real, just saying that I've heard the opposite. Personally I charge my Switch from a 2A Anker.