Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
A lot of pediatricians aren't stocking it as well because there's no demand. It's very hard to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Ours was supposed to be getting it but there were supply issues, then the baby got RSV at five months so I guess it's moot now.

On books, seconding that the main Pern books have some weird sex poo poo, but the masterharper series iirc is more kid friendly. Tamora Pierce is great, but the Tortall books (at least the Song of the Lioness and Wild Magic quartets) have some sex stuff. Not weird other than questionable age gaps, iirc (and I just reread them last year), but maybe more middle school appropriate. The magic circle books I think are great for that age though.

Also want to recommend Patricia C Wrede (the Enchanted Forest books especially) and Mercedes Lackey (but her stuff is probs also better to wait a few years for).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Anyone elses kids demanding that you turn your house into a blanket fort and getting indignant when you say no?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Alterian posted:

Anyone elses kids demanding that you turn your house into a blanket fort and getting indignant when you say no?

My bed

Usually when I'm trying to get in.

It's our tornado shelter

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Our kids kept disassembling the couches to build a fort so we got these big foam blocks.

They love them, but everything else is still ending up part of the fort anyways.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

dismas posted:

I have been re-listening to The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper, which I think I read around the age I was also into Redwall. It was a newberry honor winner.

I read this about the same age and loved it. Hell I have the entire series waiting for our daughter to hopefully pick up one day. I also loved John Bellairs and the Encyclopedia Brown books at that age.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The new Bluey had an episode about building forts.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

"Where the Red Fern Grows" was another favorite of mine around that age. It's just regular fiction but I remember it being pretty gripping and read the whole thing cover to cover in a day or two. It's about a boy in the Ozarks and his dog.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Our kids are really enjoying this jungle gym we got and it converts to a fort really easy with a blanket.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My three year old keeps taking all the pillows and trucks and chairs and toys and foam blocks and building elaborate barricades to control the movement of our two dogs.

But because he’s three and the dogs are both smaller and more coordinated than he is - they can inevitably escape and then he is in fact trapped by the barricades.

Then he starts smashing the poo poo out of the barricades and yelling “I’m the bad guy!” And runs around throwing poo poo and I have to tell him to go do that outside.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Renegret posted:

Yeah I feel like the hard part of that age is that you're in the transition period between children's books and young adult, and YA may not always be super appropriate. I was in middle school when I read His Dark Materials and Amber Spyglass hosed me up real good. I loved it but I spent a good amount of time just staring at the ceiling trying to sort out these newfangled feelings I hadn't learned to cope with yet.

I mean, yeah, there's stuff in Amber Spyglass which is just-barely-toned-down Nazi medical experiments. This is portrayed with an appropriate level of horror, but is probably more better for a slightly older kid.

Maybe not mentioned yet is The Hobbit. It's basically the YA Tolkien novel. I'm pretty sure I read it when I was 10, and would have been ready for it at 9.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

"Where the Red Fern Grows" was another favorite of mine around that age. It's just regular fiction but I remember it being pretty gripping and read the whole thing cover to cover in a day or two. It's about a boy in the Ozarks and his dog.

I read this book once when I was young and it still stays with me . First time a book really got me.

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

Hadlock posted:

It has a sad as hell ending!!!!!

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Throwing in some books with female protagonists. In addition to Gary Paulsen and Three Investigators I also loved books by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (The Witch Saga, Hartford’s vs Malloys), Five Children and It, and The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. Also Eva by Peter Dickinson though that may be a bit mature for him; I think I read it when I was 10 or 11.

He might be too old for the Little House on the Prairie books but I loved them. I feel like I read them before Redwall etc but I could be wrong.

There’s also Boxcar Children and Goosebumps for longer series.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

in_cahoots posted:

Throwing in some books with female protagonists. In addition to Gary Paulsen and Three Investigators I also loved books by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor (The Witch Saga, Hartford’s vs Malloys), Five Children and It, and The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle by Avi. Also Eva by Peter Dickinson though that may be a bit mature for him; I think I read it when I was 10 or 11.

He might be too old for the Little House on the Prairie books but I loved them. I feel like I read them before Redwall etc but I could be wrong.

There’s also Boxcar Children and Goosebumps for longer series.

No Zombies! Although most goosebumps did not have zombies.

I loved Little House on the Prairie too, Hatchet by Paulsen.

I also remember the Soup series of books by Robert Peck, they were a lot of fun. Judy Blume also had a female protagonist in most books, but the puberty books are more aimed at 6th graders.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

The Obernewtyn series by Isobelle Carmody was fantastic, I remember getting into them around the same time as Redwall. It's set in a post-apocalyptic world where a girl discovers she has mind powers (forbidden of course) and ends up at an orphanage full of other Misfits where they proceed to team up to save the world. I adored these.

Wings of Fire is also great for that age. My 7-year-old has read all the graphic novels and has just discovered that the chapter books exist, which has been a great transition.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Ohhh I know, read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory so they can get an early start in saying "uhhhhhhhhhh well actually the book was better"

Alterian posted:

The new Bluey had an episode about building forts.

For as much as I love Bluey, it's set an exhausting standard for play. I mean sure we have episodes where mom & dad are wiped out but for the most part it's my kid wanted to recreate crazy pillow or tickle crabs. And I hate tickle crabs.

Please, we have an infant, I only got 4 hours of sleep, then I pulled 10 hours at work. Please just let me lay down. Please. Isn't there a game where I can just lay down and ahhhh poo poo

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Having grown up on Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka, then reading the book, imagine my delight as a kid when I discovered there was a sequel to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

In it, they lose control of the glass elevator immediately proceeding the events of the first book and it takes them to loving space, where they encounter god drat man eating aliens I am not making this up it will give your kids whiplash

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Renegret posted:

Having grown up on Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka, then reading the book, imagine my delight as a kid when I discovered there was a sequel to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

In it, they lose control of the glass elevator immediately proceeding the events of the first book and it takes them to loving space, where they encounter god drat man eating aliens I am not making this up it will give your kids whiplash

We read that somewhat recently and it's fun but be prepared to try and tone down the racism in real time if you're reading aloud.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Renegret posted:

For as much as I love Bluey, it's set an exhausting standard for play. I mean sure we have episodes where mom & dad are wiped out but for the most part it's my kid wanted to recreate crazy pillow or tickle crabs. And I hate tickle crabs.

Please, we have an infant, I only got 4 hours of sleep, then I pulled 10 hours at work. Please just let me lay down. Please. Isn't there a game where I can just lay down and ahhhh poo poo

I haven’t watched that much Bluey and, while I think it’s pretty high quality, I really wish there was more criticism about the expectations it sets for parenting. They work infrequently enough in the show that I have no clue what, if anything, they do; they are seemingly always part of the game with very few limits to how engaged they can be; and they are too permissive even when things could be unsafe (e.g. Bingo throws a tennis ball that ricochets and knocks the dad’s beer can out of his hands and doesn’t even get the suggestion that it isn’t safe to throw things while people are cooking or in a group of people not paying attention).

Yes, sometimes the episode indicates the parents are tired or that they are making sacrifices (good) but acknowledging that there are often real, everyday limits is an important lesson.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jan 16, 2024

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I still maintain that Bluey and Peppa Pig beat up on the Dad too much for my liking.

Instead we just watch Disney shows because Disney just doesn't have parents!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Day 2 of locking the three year old in his room at night to prevent him from waking me up 1-3 times every night and making me sleep on his floor.

Day 1 he got up at 5:45 and hung out for an hour and a half until Wake Up Time.

Day 2 - woke up at 3:45 and just paced his room for 3 and a half hours. Wasn’t tired or upset when we got him.

He’s in for a rough day. (And by extension - us)

I keep asking him “what should you do if you wake up early?”
“Go back to sleep”

But he doesn’t want to do it yet. I’ve even been running drills like “ok let’s practice, you start by crying at the door, it’s locked, now what do you do? Walk over to the bed, climb in, head on pillow. Ok repeat”

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ugh aggressive school closures in southern states ughhhhhhh

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I love the difference in snow between the north and south.

8 inches of snow where I live:

1 hour delayed opening for schools. I’m still expected to be to work on time

Half an inch of snow in the south:

Declare a state of emergency and shut down all travel for 2 days

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Another round of Frozen, another time for me to think about how badly the parents handled the situation and wound up dead for it. Just get a therapist!

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

RCarr posted:

I love the difference in snow between the north and south.

8 inches of snow where I live:

1 hour delayed opening for schools. I’m still expected to be to work on time

Half an inch of snow in the south:

Declare a state of emergency and shut down all travel for 2 days

I'm a northerner who lived in the south long enough to see snow, and this is just a question of infrastructure.

If you are in place that gets a lot of snow you have a lot of snow plows and sand trucks and other equipment for dealing with it, plus the county employs people to use it. This is a worthwhile expense when you can expect to get snow for many months of the year.

If you are in the south that equipment just doesn't exist because it's not worth having the trucks and the piles of sand in DOT warehouses if you only ever see more than a pre-dawn dusting once every few years, and only see a serious snow once a decade or so. And even a half inch of snow can be treacherous as can be if the roads weren't prepared, and doubly so if the weather is hovering right around 30-35 degrees so that half inch is more like a quarter inch sitting on top of ice.

People also just don't know how to drive in it. I've watched people in rural Minnesota drive pretty safely on hard packed snow and I've watched people in North Carolina spin out into a ditch because they think they can take that same 35mph turn at normal speeds despite it being covered in ice and slush.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea it’s mostly the people not knowing how to drive in snow. I drove 40 miles to work today in 2-3 inches of unplowed snow and was fine. If there’s an inch of snow on the ground in the south you’ll see 20 car wrecks and people driving 10 miles an hour completely terrified.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm ok with closing public schools but not private daycares. Like if I don't pay taxes for infrastructure to handle this then fine I shouldn't get my public service either. Sometimes I feel like ours just jumps at every opportunity to announce they are closed.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
As a southerner now living in the Midwest it's 100% a combo of infrastructure and know-how. I'm very glad our daycare is still open even though it's around 3F for a high today though.

What boggles my mind is my boss, who lives in the Philadelphia area, saying he's going to be mostly unavailable today because they got an inch and a half of snow so his kids' school is closed and he'll be wrangling them. I thought Philly had winters, even if (per my boss) this is the first measurable snowfall they've had in almost two years.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I read an article criticizing Bluey for setting high expectations for parenting but I seriously thought it was some kind of joke or troll. But here we are and goons think they need to live up to the standards of cartoon dogs.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

School was cancelled 3 days last week because of snow and extreme wind chill. They had yesterday off because of the holiday, and now they have today off because of the extreme cold.

If school gets cancelled any more this week I'm going to lose my mind.

We live in a place that regularly gets snow in the winter. The amount of snow isn't the issue right now, it's that wind chill is -37 F. We can't even go outside and play for long at that temp.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

King Hong Kong posted:

... They work infrequently enough in the show that I have no clue what, if anything, they do...
Bandit is an archeologist - he digs up bones. Chili is airport security - *sniff sniff*.

Rufio posted:

I read an article criticizing Bluey for setting high expectations for parenting but I seriously thought it was some kind of joke or troll. But here we are and goons think they need to live up to the standards of cartoon dogs.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
the most relatable parenting moment on bluey for me was when the dad sat down and engaged with one of the kids, patiently walked them through a situation and how it might make other people feel, then when the kid didn't get it he went "Oh well, you'll figure it out" and walked away.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Emily Spinach posted:

What boggles my mind is my boss, who lives in the Philadelphia area, saying he's going to be mostly unavailable today because they got an inch and a half of snow so his kids' school is closed and he'll be wrangling them. I thought Philly had winters, even if (per my boss) this is the first measurable snowfall they've had in almost two years.

I live in Philly, and moved here from Wisconsin. We sort of get snow, but it’s nothing like the northern Midwest. The first year I moved here we had a snow storm that as a Wisconsite seemed normal to me, but it shut the city down for almost two weeks. Not going to work that long because of snow was crazy to me.

We also haven’t had an inch of snow here for over 2 years.

The city has some infrastructure to handle it but just barely. They plow the arterial roads but don’t do any of the side streets, so it’s a crap shoot getting out from your home if you depend on a car. The busses and other public transit are generally taken care of but if you rely on a car you’re pretty much screwed.

Also, the public schools are open today, they aren’t even delayed. Yet my daycare decide to close for some mystery reason. I don’t get it.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Rufio posted:

It’s more that there are some problems with it that even a lot of supposedly critical articles brush aside. I don’t think it’s bad to think critically about children’s programming as opposed to resigning myself to “well, it’s cartoon dogs.” Like any children’s programming there are things being modeled to the audience that are positive and things being modeled that are perhaps not so positive and it’s fine to discuss things that are unfortunate about the representation.

Do I care if I am like the dad dog? Not so much because our style of parenting is inevitably different. Do I care if the dad dog doesn’t care if the kid does unsafe things? Yeah.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Everyone talks about unreasonable expectations from Bluey but I want to gripe about Elinor Wonders Why.

95% of the time it's a great show with really thoughtful messaging about being curious about the world, using observation skills, loving learning, etc. And the adults are good role models for kind, patient, supportive communication. But every once in a while there's an episode like the snowball one where the kids learn why some snow is fun to build with and why some snow is too cold and powdery to pack into balls. Great science lesson...but then they learn they can make a massive fun snowman by hauling dozens of bucketloads of snow inside one by one to warm them slightly. As soon as my kid wants to try this I'm suing PBS.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

TV chat-

We just found this show on Apple TV called Stillwater.

A CGI panda does tai chi and gives life advice to young children. Super calm and slow paced show with lots of birds chirping and water flowing. Very relaxing, would recommend.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rufio posted:

Lol it's not the parents' expectations that matter. It's the expectations of the kids watching the show.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

King Hong Kong posted:

I haven’t watched that much Bluey and, while I think it’s pretty high quality, I really wish there was more criticism about the expectations it sets for parenting.
It's a kid show.

At least they show involved parents. Bandit especially, which goes against the stereotype of paternal non-involvement.

For a seven minute show they can't belabor the parents' day jobs, although they do show them. There's at least a couple of episodes where Chili leaves for work, or Bandit tries to work from home and is usually foiled.

Yeah the kids are a bit rambunctious. Bluey's school seems particularly lacking in structure. Although, illustrating more boundaries here wouldn't necessarily make for entertaining television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

I'm a northerner who lived in the south long enough to see snow, and this is just a question of infrastructure.
Also, who south of the Appalacians actually owns winter tires?