Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

dd209 posted:

Whew. FINALLY 100%'ed it on PC after playing almost every day straight since release. The 100% settlement happiness one was a pain in the arse and extremely buggy, however. I wouldn't recommend doing it before a patch. I have about 80% of all the skill/unlockable magazines in the game world and max relations with most of the companions, so there's still stuff to do if I feel like it, but at level 77 and after 125hrs of playing I'd say I've seen and experienced pretty much all the content worth noting in the game. I was a little let down that there were no hidden unique bosses of note, like the Legendary creatures in New Vegas.

Yeah, I've no idea how to get settlements up to 100 percent, even after fixing the weird tv issue. Beyond that, the only thing I have left to do is try and find some sidequests I haven't gotten to yet, possibly gathering the last two bobbleheads I've missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

isndl posted:

Generally speaking you want Instigating (double damage on uninjured targets) or Double Shot (fires a free bullet for more damage) on a sniper. You should also upgrade to a Combat Rifle as the chassis for your sniper, it does almost as much damage as a fully modded bolt-action (maybe more with .308 receiver, I haven't checked), with super plentiful ammo and the ability to fire semi-auto to clean up lots of dudes at once or follow up on anyone who survives your initial shot.

Combat rifle, that's different from the combat shotgun?

I know my sniper rifle and axe are my mainstays plus my wounding Flamer/Big Boy on Dogmeat for especially big targets like behemoths, what else should complement that?

I've converted my Righteous Authority to an automatic laser weapon, but I'm not sure if that's optimal. I feel like I should have an optimal automatic non-heavy weapon (ie not the minigun) to burn through all the ammo I've been collecting as a primarily melee character. I figure an automatic weapon would be good for hairy situation if I'm being overwhelmed by a bunch of enemies and need to spray a crowd and retreat.

So far, my strategy has been:

Outdoors:
Sneak snipe stragglers at a distance to thin the crowd, then go in close with melee VATS

Indoors:
Sneak then melee for first strike, then lead around and dance with Jet as I chop down foes.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 22, 2015

WE DOIN IT NOW
Jun 18, 2005

Never compromise, not even in the face of Armageddon.

frajaq posted:

Ok that must be a 100% chance vertibird spawn place because that exact loving thing happened to me

That's beautiful. Part of me looked it up to check if it was a scripted event because it was so perfect.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

WE DOIN IT NOW posted:

That's beautiful. Part of me looked it up to check if it was a scripted event because it was so perfect.

fwiw going there during one of the cabot quests didn't trigger a vertibird crash :shrug:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Titus Vespasian posted:

Only occasionally it seems and after much manuvering.

No, not like a command, actually talk to them like you want to have a chat, it's a dialogue option. Select "Talk" and it's in there.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Terra-da-loo! posted:

A lot of those songs are from the 40's or earlier, actually, but you're absolutely right. Butcher Pete has a serious loving problem. Literally.

e: I saw that it's advised to wear power armor when dealing with the infestation in 81. I know the thread moves at the speed of :spergin:, but if anyone sees this, does the power armor negate the mole rate bites, or what?

i actually didn't even think about it. i went through without armor and never got infected.

dd209
Sep 21, 2015

evilmiera posted:

Yeah, I've no idea how to get settlements up to 100 percent, even after fixing the weird tv issue. Beyond that, the only thing I have left to do is try and find some sidequests I haven't gotten to yet, possibly gathering the last two bobbleheads I've missed.

The most commonly reported bug is that leaving the settlement seems to randomly cause a massive drop. Though it's been speculated that this is a deliberate choice (to represent the player's importance) there are pretty consistent accounts (including my experience) of the bug deriving from beds not being detected properly, with the settlers complaining about there being nowhere to sleep. I tested staying away from the settlement between 94 and 99 happiness and saw it continually increase as I did radiant quests and travelled around a bit. I went back to make sure it was rising from 99 to 100, then went off again, and when I emerged from a building in Lexington it had dropped to 83. Reloaded the save, stayed there for a few minutes and it hit 100. Other players insist you have to stay there for like half an hour. It's a real mess.

Anyway my approach was basically the same as everyone else - dump all your companions to another settlement (they count as part of it and fill up slots despite contributing nothing), 21 settlers, level 3 clinics everywhere (though I had a clothing store for that seamstress and a random bar), TVs everywhere, something like 150 paintings all over the walls. Water and food don't seem to make any difference so long as they're equal or greater than the number of settlers. I had 200+ defence but people seem to get by with much lower.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

MisterBibs posted:

Is there anything related to the shack SW of Sanctuary, right off the little pond big enough to actually show up as a small water dot on your map? I'd normally chalk it up to just random scenery/loot, but a) everything is set to Owned and b) there's a random cat there.

When I've gone there, there's an NPC wandering around just named 'Trader' who sells some generic stuff. I assume it's her shack.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
does anyone know if silencers actually help? they don't seem to do anything. everyone is automatically caution'd regardless of whether i use one or not.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Combat rifle, that's different from the combat shotgun?

I know my sniper rifle and axe are my mainstays plus my wounding Flamer/Big Boy on Dogmeat for especially big targets like behemoths, what else should complement that?

I've converted my Righteous Authority to an automatic laser weapon, but I'm not sure if that's optimal. I feel like I should have an optimal automatic non-heavy weapon (ie not the minigun) to burn through all the ammo I've been collecting as a primarily melee character. I figure an automatic weapon would be good for hairy situation if I'm being overwhelmed by a bunch of enemies and need to spray a crowd and retreat.

So far, my strategy has been:

Outdoors:
Sneak snipe stragglers at a distance to thin the crowd, then go in close with melee VATS

Indoors:
Sneak then melee for first strike, then lead around and dance with Jet as I chop down foes.

Combat Rifle is different from the Combat Shotgun, yeah. It shoots .45 rounds and is commonly found on Gunners.

For a backup weapon I have a Wounding automatic pipe rifle, just in case I run into something with ridiculous damage resistance. I used to have a laser shotgun but left it in storage once I realized I no longer needed it thanks to the better performance of the combat rifle.

dd209
Sep 21, 2015

Geomancing posted:

When I've gone there, there's an NPC wandering around just named 'Trader' who sells some generic stuff. I assume it's her shack.

There's a Trader shack just south of Walden Pond, with cats EVERYWHERE and a cat picture on the wall. The trader doesn't say anything special and her stuff doesn't seem to count as owned items.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

poptart_fairy posted:

Listening to the Radio pretty often and man, the 50s were a filthy, filthy time. :catstare:

It's weird because generally when we think of the 50s we think of the stereotypical innocent Leave it to Beaver image. The truth can come as a shock to the system.

:ssh: Remember the 50s were when Swinging really started to become a Thing. :eng101:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
this rear end in a top hat i really dont like wants me to talk about the plot holes in fallout 4

can someone explain in detail some major ones, i know they exist, i've read them, but they're not on the top of my head

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

davecrazy posted:

So how old is Kellogg exactly?

Very. Some log somewhere says that he is augmented to live longer, or something.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

It's weird because generally when we think of the 50s we think of the stereotypical innocent Leave it to Beaver image. The truth can come as a shock to the system.

:ssh: Remember the 50s were when Swinging really started to become a Thing. :eng101:

The 4 songs from the 50s and the three from the 60s have really oepened my eyes to what live was really like in 50s america

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tabletops posted:

does anyone know if silencers actually help? they don't seem to do anything. everyone is automatically caution'd regardless of whether i use one or not.

It seems to keep them from zeroing in on your direction immediately, but silenced or not someone is going to notice when their buddy's head explodes suddenly

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

The mods are finally starting to roll in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy-DQcI7byY

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tabletops posted:

You can pick off a straggler without any alerts if they're far enough from the pack, seems to be some combination of distance and line of sight. Enemies also do not know your general location off the initial alert if it's a one-shot kill, and the alerts fade more quickly as a result. Finally, you can get perks for damage multipliers with silencers which is the only way to get more damage off the muzzle mod slot, and this combines very nicely with the high base damage of snipers and sneak attack bonuses.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Very. Some log somewhere says that he is augmented to live longer, or something.

I believe he's about 150 years old according to stuff in-game.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Post story stuff:

I sorta hosed up and didn't play dumb after the Bunker Hill fight, which shoehorned me into working for the Minutemen. I want to do the Railroad quest where you gently caress over the Brotherhood, but they're not giving me any new missions beyond the radiant quest stuff. Am I boned?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

Post story stuff:

I sorta hosed up and didn't play dumb after the Bunker Hill fight, which shoehorned me into working for the Minutemen. I want to do the Railroad quest where you gently caress over the Brotherhood, but they're not giving me any new missions beyond the radiant quest stuff. Am I boned?

Railroad stuff seems like it's broken. I've looked around and no one can finish the undercover mission.

dd209
Sep 21, 2015

Capn Beeb posted:

Post story stuff:

I believe that Rocket's Red Flare (which is the Railroad's takedown of the Prydwyn) only becomes available after progressing far enough in the Institute questline (right when they give you the quest to kill Desdemona, in my experience)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Magmarashi posted:

It seems to keep them from zeroing in on your direction immediately, but silenced or not someone is going to notice when their buddy's head explodes suddenly

sure, but 99% of the time if i kill a dude that no one can see(like hes in a room by himself) everyone is alerted regardless. it's dumb.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I asked earlier, but once again, is choosing which faction to build the teleporter with a point of no return? The Minutemen are a bunch of wieners, and I hate everything related to them, but the alternative is replaying like 3 hours of the game.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Are Automatics ever worth it? I'm doing some number-crunching and it seems like they're woefully underpowered compared to semi-autos. Is their DPS way better from the improved fire rate or something?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I'm a fan of this one personally:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TkY0_3zo6qI

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Oh, and it seems like Grognak's Axe is a straight upgrade from the Shishkebab. It even lops off limbs/arms mid-VATS so ghouls et al end up looking like the Black Knight from Monty Python's Holy Grail after a few swings.

Its even better if you have Blitz unlocked as a perk. You become a teleporting melee death machine.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

dd209 posted:

I believe that Rocket's Red Flare (which is the Railroad's takedown of the Prydwyn) only becomes available after progressing far enough in the Institute questline (right when they give you the quest to kill Desdemona, in my experience)

poo poo. :(

dd209
Sep 21, 2015

sector_corrector posted:

I asked earlier, but once again, is choosing which faction to build the teleporter with a point of no return? The Minutemen are a bunch of wieners, and I hate everything related to them, but the alternative is replaying like 3 hours of the game.

The Minutemen I don't know about, but following the Railroad questline, I built the thingamabob and used their tape in the Institute. Afterwards, I visited the Prydwyn (had already done a bunch of quests for them beforehand) and Marty Stu chewed me out for not using their tape. Then he sent me back in to retrieve Doctor Li and continued giving me quests right up until the Institute asked me to assault the Mass Fusion building. At this point you can warn the Brotherhood and get a notification that stepping into the Vertibird with Ingram will make The Institute hostile (by extension failing the Railroad quests but not yet making them openly hostile iirc) whilst stepping into the Institute teleporter will make The Brotherhood hostile.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

dd209 posted:

The Minutemen I don't know about, but following the Railroad questline, I built the thingamabob and used their tape in the Institute. Afterwards, I visited the Prydwyn (had already done a bunch of quests for them beforehand) and Marty Stu chewed me out for not using their tape. Then he sent me back in to retrieve Doctor Li and continued giving me quests right up until the Institute asked me to assault the Mass Fusion building. At this point you can warn the Brotherhood and get a notification that stepping into the Vertibird with Ingram will make The Institute hostile (by extension failing the Railroad quests but not yet making them openly hostile iirc) whilst stepping into the Institute teleporter will make The Brotherhood hostile.

Ok, it looks like I have time then. The endgame is incredibly sloppy and lovely, even in comparison to the rest of the terrible quest writing.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Are Automatics ever worth it? I'm doing some number-crunching and it seems like they're woefully underpowered compared to semi-autos. Is their DPS way better from the improved fire rate or something?

When you get a legendary modifier like Wounding or Staggering, an automatic can be amazing. As far as raw damage goes though, they don't offer a whole lot more for the amount of ammo they consume.

dd209
Sep 21, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

Railroad stuff seems like it's broken. I've looked around and no one can finish the undercover mission.

How so? Railroad missions continue right up to the very end of The Institute questline, as triggering the Synth revolt is the final attack on the Institute, after destroying the Prydwyn and getting the order to eliminate The Railroad.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

I completed the game siding with the railroad. Didn't have any problems with that mission. You said you can't warn Des? I fast traveled to Railroad HQ and she responded just fine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I'm just gonna post this here because I thought it was funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQrSwTz6dc

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Not being able to warn Des is a common bug for Underground Undercover, from what I understand it's still not clear what causes it, Des just shows as being permanently busy. I had a different, apparently much rarer bug with Underground Undercover, where the quest never progressed past "continue working with Father", well after it should have changed and given me the warning to pass along. I ended up progressing the quest through trial and error on the console to the "warn desdemona" phase so I could turn it in.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

dd209 posted:

How so? Railroad missions continue right up to the very end of The Institute questline, as triggering the Synth revolt is the final attack on the Institute, after destroying the Prydwyn and getting the order to eliminate The Railroad.
oh that reminds me for the final stretch of that faction's quests:
don't give those guys your weapons it does nothing and you have to give them a ton for the optional quest market to trigger
you don't even get to see them using the weapons it literally is just some dumb bonus xp for dumping in a fuckton of weapons into a box

i ended up losing out on some of the quest uniques because i just figured 'hey it's bethesda they dont give a gently caress about consequence and there'll probably be a box with the weapons again later'
at least i was right on half of that i guess

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Can Deathclaws get mangled in fence geometry? I was building some low rent housing in Starlight Drive-in and heard a gunfight erupt. As I turned around to help out I saw the characteristic Deathclaw shape flailing around. Then the shooting stopped, and I saw gibs everywhere which I had assumed were my mauled up settlers with leather armor and all the modded pipe guns I never use anymore.

Nope, just a Deathclaw body with every limb, hand and head blown off around the fence with 5 settlers and 2 hmg turrets looking at it. Are settlers really that competent? I did watch one of my provisioners walk through college square and gun down all the ghouls, so maybe they're fine?

Animax
Nov 7, 2015

NESguerilla posted:

I'm just gonna post this here because I thought it was funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsQrSwTz6dc

Good ol' bethesda conversations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Can Deathclaws get mangled in fence geometry? I was building some low rent housing in Starlight Drive-in and heard a gunfight erupt. As I turned around to help out I saw the characteristic Deathclaw shape flailing around. Then the shooting stopped, and I saw gibs everywhere which I had assumed were my mauled up settlers with leather armor and all the modded pipe guns I never use anymore.

Nope, just a Deathclaw body with every limb, hand and head blown off around the fence with 5 settlers and 2 hmg turrets looking at it. Are settlers really that competent? I did watch one of my provisioners walk through college square and gun down all the ghouls, so maybe they're fine?

It's more those turrets are REALLY powerful, but yeah, settlers are about as competent as your followers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

Alabaster White posted:

I just finished the game a second time. The first time, I went semi-auto sniper, the second time using solely automatic weapons. I never felt underpowered with either.

• Locked thread