Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Walked
Apr 14, 2003

caiman posted:

So I just had the Harmless Offering + Demonic Pact played against me twice flawlessly. There is absolutely NOTHING my RDW deck can do against it other than go full steam and get lucky.

Buddy and I have been working on a comedy build around this combo. It's seriously fun to play, but I think it's too fragile of a combo to be a major competitive deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Hellsau posted:

If you RDW deck can't win before turn 7 I suspect you shouldn't expect to beat most decks.

the gaining 4 life and drawing 2 cards, as well as I assume a general removal/defensive creature set up is probably not making it easier RB got way more instant speed removal with emn, so any standard rdw deck is likely going to have trouble.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Dromoka's Command is the biggest problem with the strategy.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dromoka's Command is the biggest problem with the strategy. playing anything not GW

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I want to run harmless/pact in modern so badly, even though I know it's just straight worse than regular grixis control.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the U/W spirit deck seems pretty aight, but then again I feel like eventually it will become Spirits with CoCo as a splash rather then anything slightly unique

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

caiman posted:

So I just had the Harmless Offering + Demonic Pact played against me twice flawlessly. There is absolutely NOTHING my RDW deck can do against it other than go full steam and get lucky.

Not to belabor the point, but if they're spending their whole fourth turn to cast an enchantment that doesn't affect the board until their next upkeep things should be pretty well in your favor. Kill a creature + gain 4 is kind of a beating, but every other mode is probably marginal at best in an aggro match since they should be nearly dead by the time they're casting it.

Gensuki posted:

the gaining 4 life and drawing 2 cards, as well as I assume a general removal/defensive creature set up is probably not making it easier RB got way more instant speed removal with emn, so any standard rdw deck is likely going to have trouble.

It's definitely slow enough to get beaten down by an aggro deck. The issue is probably more that the best RDW deck in the format uses plains.

mandatory lesbian posted:

the U/W spirit deck seems pretty aight, but then again I feel like eventually it will become Spirits with CoCo as a splash rather then anything slightly unique

I want to try a non-tribal UW Tempo deck. T3 Reflector Mage into T4 use the Reflector Mage to emerge Elder Deep-Fiend on your upkeep sounds absolutely brutal, and resolving any generic 2/1 flying spirit on T2 probably means you're going to have been getting in a fair bit of headway into their life total while untapping with 5 mana and a 5/6 vs probably an empty board.

This is going to be a bad, bad standard for playing things on your own main phase.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 25, 2016

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Voyager I posted:

This is going to be a bad, bad standard for playing things on your own main phase.

Wotc somehow took the worst of old spell based decks and lovingly combined it with modern uber-pushed creature strategies to create a format everyone can hate! :allears:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Voyager I posted:

Not to belabor the point, but if they're spending their whole fourth turn to cast an enchantment that doesn't affect the board until their next upkeep things should be pretty well in your favor. Kill a creature + gain 4 is kind of a beating, but every other mode is probably marginal at best in an aggro match since they should be nearly dead by the time they're casting it.

It's definitely slow enough to get beaten down by an aggro deck. The issue is probably more that the best RDW deck in the format uses plains.

I want to try a non-tribal UW Tempo deck. T3 Reflector Mage into T4 use the Reflector Mage to emerge Elder Deep-Fiend on your upkeep sounds absolutely brutal, and resolving any generic 2/1 flying spirit on T2 probably means you're going to have been getting in a fair bit of headway into their life total while untapping with 5 mana and a 5/6 vs probably an empty board.

The demise of cards like Gideon, Nissa and Sylvan Advocate has been greatly overstated. Playing stuff like those cards or Ishkanah is always going to be good in any standard format.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Dromoka's Command is the biggest problem with the strategy.
I've been giving this a consideration myself within a Red/Black control shell, and I assume Oath of Chandras will do well enough to protect your combo pieces from a Dromoka's Command or two.

Right now Standard has access to two different 2-card kill combos (Offerings/Pact, Trisdek/Tree), and Dark Petition, along with disruption, a four mana sweeper and some generally cheap removal. I'm surprised I haven't heard rumblings of a B/R Control Combo deck popping up over the past couple weeks - unless I've not been looking hard enough. Feels like the list kinda builds itself, aside from what you can shave in order to accommodate your Petitions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

an_mutt posted:

I've been giving this a consideration myself within a Red/Black control shell, and I assume Oath of Chandras will do well enough to protect your combo pieces from a Dromoka's Command or two.

Right now Standard has access to two different 2-card kill combos (Offerings/Pact, Trisdek/Tree), and Dark Petition, along with disruption, a four mana sweeper and some generally cheap removal. I'm surprised I haven't heard rumblings of a B/R Control Combo deck popping up over the past couple weeks - unless I've not been looking hard enough. Feels like the list kinda builds itself, aside from what you can shave in order to accommodate your Petitions.

Michael Majors played around with a rough outline of such a deck.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/33294_Ross-VS-Majors-.html

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Voyager I posted:

your claim that a swarm, anthem-heavy aggro deck is anything like any build of monored that has ever existed is really weird and a ridiculous oversimplification of aggro

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Demonic Pact saw some play when it had a much lower upside in Origins superstandard, I can imagine it being a deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Walked posted:

Buddy and I have been working on a comedy build around this combo. It's seriously fun to play, but I think it's too fragile of a combo to be a major competitive deck

I bet you're praying the RWUB Legendary Creature in Commander 2016 is going to literally be Zedruu but also black.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

your claim that a swarm, anthem-heavy aggro deck is anything like any build of monored that has ever existed is really weird and a ridiculous oversimplification of aggro

...that's literally what Atarka Red was though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

That's how I play it and its very good. It plays basically identically without any of the reactive non-creature spells that aren't really necessary since your opponent never wants to cast anything into Spell Queller mana to begin with.

I don't know that I'd commit to saying its better than straight UW though. If you play Elder Deep-Fried the UW deck does a pretty good approximation of Faeries complete with fake-Mistbind.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

...that's literally what Atarka Red was though.

Atarka Red wasn't anthem-heavy and also isn't really rdw imo. Zoo, for example, is, if I'm going to be spergy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

That's how I play it and its very good. It plays basically identically without any of the reactive non-creature spells that aren't really necessary since your opponent never wants to cast anything into Spell Queller mana to begin with.

I don't know that I'd commit to saying its better than straight UW though. If you play Elder Deep-Fried the UW deck does a pretty good approximation of Faeries complete with fake-Mistbind.

Before the end of this standard someone is going to on camera Spell Queller into an Elder Deep-Fried and it is going to be exactly as ridiculous as it sounds

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

elder fiend seems so good but you don't really wanna sac queller to it :p

i think it has a place somewhere, turn 4 or 5 upkeep tap all your opponent's land is really good

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
one thing i'm pretty sure of is that deep fiend gets better once coco isn't around to flip reflectir mage on it in response to the trigger

just like a lot of things get better without coco around

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

one thing i'm pretty sure of is that deep fiend gets better once coco isn't around to flip reflectir mage on it in response to the trigger

just like a lot of things get better without coco around

Deep Fiend has a cast trigger.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Deep Fiend has a cast trigger.

i'm on my phone , forgive me for thinking people are smart enough to figure out i mean to float the mana and then wait for it to resolve so i wouldn 't have to type allthat but i guess that's too much to ask so here we are

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

elder fiend seems so good but you don't really wanna sac queller to it :p

i think it has a place somewhere, turn 4 or 5 upkeep tap all your opponent's land is really good

No, he's talking about saccing Queller for Deep-Fried's cast while Queller's ETB effect is still on the stack. Queller has the old O-ring wording and not the new Banishing Light templating.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
When the control deck has 7 mana I expect it to do mean things.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

AlternateNu posted:

No, he's talking about saccing Queller for Deep-Fried's cast while Queller's ETB effect is still on the stack. Queller has the old O-ring wording and not the new Banishing Light templating.

In case anyone is confused: you can stack the leaves the battlefield "recast the exiled spell immediately" trigger on top of the "exile target spell" trigger, so they get the chance to recast a spell that isn't in exile, lose that chance, and then the spell gets exiled with no more corresponding recast trigger ever appearing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

i'm on my phone , forgive me for thinking people are smart enough to figure out i mean to float the mana and then wait for it to resolve so i wouldn 't have to type allthat but i guess that's too much to ask so here we are

Definitely don't respond to the trigger.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Haha, is SCG comment Nazi's on any of their free articles? I see people talking about Ali Antrazi being a deliberate cheater or not and twice I tried to post that link from in here where there was 4 or 5 different incidents but it keeps disappearing after a few minutes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: Beaten on my own point goddamn

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

80s James Hetfield posted:

Haha, is SCG comment Nazi's on any of their free articles? I see people talking about Ali Antrazi being a deliberate cheater or not and twice I tried to post that link from in here where there was 4 or 5 different incidents but it keeps disappearing after a few minutes.
I lost to him on camera once, how does he cheat?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What's this? I'd love to show it to a friend who adores the guy for some reason.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Go back like, two pages

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

I saw some guy posting on every article about it so they might be treating it like spam. There was a Reddit thread that was removed too apparently highlighting incidents that was automodded or something. Watching the videos that were posted earlier it does seem rather pattern-like to me, especially when watching the specific incidents out of context

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You know, I think it would be interesting to do a statistical analysis of how "lucky" different players are. Do something like take all their on-camera games, and figure out how often they e.g. get the perfect topdeck immediately after shuffling as compared to how often you'd expect that to happen by random chance.

There probably isn't enough of a sample size to get anything especially meaningful, but you never know.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jabor posted:

You know, I think it would be interesting to do a statistical analysis of how "lucky" different players are. Do something like take all their on-camera games, and figure out how often they e.g. get the perfect topdeck immediately after shuffling as compared to how often you'd expect that to happen by random chance.

There probably isn't enough of a sample size to get anything especially meaningful, but you never know.

Call it the "Heart of the Cards" stat and make a new round of pro player profile cards.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'd like to see how unlucky Tom Martell actually is. He's a great player, but whenever I see him on cam he either has a horrible match-up or poo poo draws. Like he manages to get paired with the most random brews with a deck that is tuned for the pro meta.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I'd like to see how unlucky Tom Martell actually is. He's a great player, but whenever I see him on cam he either has a horrible match-up or poo poo draws. Like he manages to get paired with the most random brews with a deck that is tuned for the pro meta.

Martell did crush it on camera during he WMCQ with amulet bloom a year and change ago. He lost 1 game the whole weekend and turn 2'd like half of his matches or something crazy like that. He must have used all his good luck up for that run

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Dehtraen posted:

Martell did crush it on camera during he WMCQ with amulet bloom a year and change ago. He lost 1 game the whole weekend and turn 2'd like half of his matches or something crazy like that. He must have used all his good luck up for that run

His PT Gatecrash run was pretty outstanding too.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Angry Grimace posted:

CoCo decks usually get like 2x of something that isn't a Company target in addition to their DroCos. Mistbind Squid is probably a solid candidate for that slot (Reflector Mage and Bounding Krasis are both good Emerge fodder), especially for people who don't own Avacyn.

Post-rotation, I'm definitely going to try some non-tribal UW Temp deck built around Reflector Mage, Spell Queller, and Deep-Fiend.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/scg-modern-classic-columbus-2016-07-24#online

16 archetypes in the top 16 is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

And missing a couple of more recognizable/popular archetypes as of late- no Infect, no Tron, no Dredge, no Suicide Zoo, no Delver (of any variety).

All y'all complaining about how Standard only has two viable decks need to get the gently caress in with Modern. In the last two Modern events I've played locally I've only played against the same archetype on one occasion, and that was the same guy in both events. It's super diverse right now, it's a lot of fun.

Wanna try that Esper Control list.

• Locked thread