Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ron Jeremy posted:

Context is everything people.

Stick around, we're bound to discuss flexible boners again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I tried and apparently failed to make chicken piccata today. I managed to cook the breaded cutlets just fine (if a little burnt), but the sauce looks completely wrong. Piccata sauce is supposed to look creamy and milky, while mine just looks like oil. I followed the Serious Eats recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/chicken-piccata-italian-fried-cutlet-recipe.html and I made sure to keep whisking.

Any idea what I did wrong?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

JawKnee posted:

I wanted to make Kenji's best chili today, but I can't get my hands on dried chilies. I've been able to get fresh ones, but I'm not sure how I should approach cooking them vs. the dried ones he uses.

Should I just go ahead with the recipe using the fresh chilies, or should I use them some other way?

Do you have a mexican grocery nearby (I know they're not common in some areas)? Or a fancy organic store (they may have dried chiles in their bulk section). Sometimes the big groceries I go to have them in the produce section; I know Meijer often has a little stand of them somewhere in the produce area.

Unfortunately dried chiles are the most important part of chili. You may have better luck looking for a different recipe if you've got a lot of fresh chiles, for example green chile stew is common in New Mexico, and it uses fresh chiles. In green chile stew, you use roasted chiles where you've taken the skin off and chopped them.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

JawKnee posted:

I wanted to make Kenji's best chili today, but I can't get my hands on dried chilies. I've been able to get fresh ones, but I'm not sure how I should approach cooking them vs. the dried ones he uses.

Should I just go ahead with the recipe using the fresh chilies, or should I use them some other way?

Are there no mexican markets near you?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I tried and apparently failed to make chicken piccata today. I managed to cook the breaded cutlets just fine (if a little burnt), but the sauce looks completely wrong. Piccata sauce is supposed to look creamy and milky, while mine just looks like oil. I followed the Serious Eats recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/chicken-piccata-italian-fried-cutlet-recipe.html and I made sure to keep whisking.

Failure to emulsify can have several causes. My guess is you had too much fat.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Pollyanna posted:

It could be too much fat, did you follow the instructions as far as what to do if the sauce breaks?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I've never tried it on picatta sauce, but my stick blender is my go-to tool for arm-twisting a stubborn emulsion into forming or staying stable. Especially a hot one in a pan.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

JawKnee posted:

Depending on the fresh chiles you can find, you could also make chile verde instead. :iia:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

How can I properly keep a kitchen stocked and plan meals?

Right now I shop in one of two ways.

1. I find a recipe that looks good and buy what I need for it.
2. I go to the store, buy whatever looks good and throw poo poo together. It's gotten easier to make better meals as I cook more recipes and build a bigger pantry.

Is there a better way?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's an easy, basic sauce to pair with gnocchi? I've gotten pretty sick of just dumping a store-bought tomato sauce on it, so I wanted to make something easy. The first one here suggests just tossing them in butter, salt, sage and parmesan, and I like the sound of that. However, I'm also gonna be making chicken and mushrooms, and I wanna try using some of those mushrooms in the gnocchi sauce as well. Any ideas?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

2. I go to the store, buy whatever looks good and throw poo poo together. It's gotten easier to make better meals as I cook more recipes and build a bigger pantry.

Is there a better way?

I'd like an answer to this as well. My current approach has been very similar, and then look up recipes to use the leftover stuff from other recipes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Pollyanna posted:

What's an easy, basic sauce to pair with gnocchi?
Al burro (the butter and parm thing) and pesto are two absolutely classic ways of serving gnocchi and both are easy as hell and difficult to gently caress up.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Is there a better way?

The key is meals plural. If you have a plan for the week, you can shop for everything at once to have on hand when you need it.

or, the way I do it, buy poo poo when it's on sale and freeze it and just defrost what you need for tomorrows dinner.

and leftovers for lunch pretty much every day.

As for building a pantry, for me it's just buy shelf stable poo poo when it's on sale.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Speaking of burgers, someone said you can mix mayo with the patties before cooking, and after finding out that you can fry grilled cheese in mayo instead of butter my mind is open... should I try it?

I like using just a little under 1 tbls of mayo when I do grilled cheese. Usually I'll toast the interior parts of the sandwich 1st in a little butter then take that out, spread mayo, add cheese, then do the exterior parts on the grill in butter. I find the mayo kinda helps mix in with the cheese and gets it more evenly melted and all a bit more gooey in the end. The tartness is nice also if you're using a more mild cheddar or american cheese.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

That Works posted:

I like using just a little under 1 tbls of mayo when I do grilled cheese. Usually I'll toast the interior parts of the sandwich 1st in a little butter then take that out, spread mayo, add cheese, then do the exterior parts on the grill in butter. I find the mayo kinda helps mix in with the cheese and gets it more evenly melted and all a bit more gooey in the end. The tartness is nice also if you're using a more mild cheddar or american cheese.

I think they are talking about putting mayo on the outside and frying in that instead of butter, it works well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think they are talking about putting mayo on the outside and frying in that instead of butter, it works well.

Haven't tried that

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
So, I'm wondering if this distant memory I seem to recall is actually a memory, or just some nonsense I've made up in my head. I thought I read somewhere, years ago, that meat that smells a bit funky is actually usually safe to eat because the smell is from the waste produced by lactobacillus or some other innocuous bacteria, which has eaten all of the other nasty bacteria.

Alternatively I might have actually heard it somewhere and believed it because herp de derp.

I feel like maybe this is nonsense because it doesn't really account for food safety rules like not leaving raw meat at room temperature for more than a couple hours, etc.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

If its cryrovac'd it usually has a funky smell but is ok, is that what you're thinking of? It smells more "worst fart I've ever smelled" then "literally rotting meat" and usually goes away after being aired out for a bit.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Doctor posted:

So, I'm wondering if this distant memory I seem to recall is actually a memory, or just some nonsense I've made up in my head. I thought I read somewhere, years ago, that meat that smells a bit funky is actually usually safe to eat because the smell is from the waste produced by lactobacillus or some other innocuous bacteria, which has eaten all of the other nasty bacteria.

Alternatively I might have actually heard it somewhere and believed it because herp de derp.

I feel like maybe this is nonsense because it doesn't really account for food safety rules like not leaving raw meat at room temperature for more than a couple hours, etc.

What are the specifics of the situation? Do you have some meat that you've had I. The fridge for five days and you're unsure of its freshness, or was it meat you just purchased? If you just bought it and it smells slightly funky but not rotten, I'd say go for it. If you've had it for a bit and it smells funky, I'd err on the side of caution and pitch it.

What's "funky", anyway? The mere presence of a smell, or rotting flesh?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

Al burro (the butter and parm thing)

I never knew this had a name until you brought it up. I always just thought of it as "gently caress it, I'm too lazy to make a sauce".

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

fwiw there is an overwhelmingly greater number of pasta dishes that follow that "gently caress it, I'm too lazy to make a sauce" pattern than there are dedicated sauce things.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So I've tried this recipe a couple times. http://www.food.com/recipe/tony-lukes-italian-roast-pork-sandwich-the-real-deal-109581

The first time I tried it in an oven at like 275 for 3ish hours. It was the most amazing smell to ever come out of my oven, but the meat was still pretty tough. The second time I tried it I used the crockpot method from the recipe and it wound up being so tough as to be inedible. What should I do to get the roast nice and tender?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Cook it for longer? Like, until it falls apart.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

yeah, braises can be sometimes a pain in the rear end with timing. if it's tough, it's not done yet. Just make sure it doesnt dry out and keep the roast/crockpot train rollin until it's tender.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

fr0id posted:

So I've tried this recipe a couple times. http://www.food.com/recipe/tony-lukes-italian-roast-pork-sandwich-the-real-deal-109581

The first time I tried it in an oven at like 275 for 3ish hours. It was the most amazing smell to ever come out of my oven, but the meat was still pretty tough. The second time I tried it I used the crockpot method from the recipe and it wound up being so tough as to be inedible. What should I do to get the roast nice and tender?

Pork shoulder is what you use to make BBQ pulled pork, and it's often smoked at 225 for upwards of 12 hours. At home, with a small roast (if you're really going for 2.5 lbs), i would expect to do 4 hours at least at 275 or so. Also, get an oven thermometer; the oven setting is notoriously unreliable unless you have a premium appliance, and undershooting your target when it's already low is going to cause problems.

EDIT: yeah also just checking it for doneness is wise. You can always add more liquid if too much evaporates during the roasting time.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lawnie posted:

Pork shoulder is what you use to make BBQ pulled pork, and it's often smoked at 225 for upwards of 12 hours. At home, with a small roast (if you're really going for 2.5 lbs), i would expect to do 4 hours at least at 275 or so. Also, get an oven thermometer; the oven setting is notoriously unreliable unless you have a premium appliance, and undershooting your target when it's already low is going to cause problems.

EDIT: yeah also just checking it for doneness is wise. You can always add more liquid if too much evaporates during the roasting time.

You mention more liquid, the original recipe doesn't call for any. How do I know to add more? Also, any suggestions on doing this in a pressure cooker to save time? Mine suggests having liquid in the cooker but I wouldn't that cause the rub to wash off the pork?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

fr0id posted:

You mention more liquid, the original recipe doesn't call for any. How do I know to add more? Also, any suggestions on doing this in a pressure cooker to save time? Mine suggests having liquid in the cooker but I wouldn't that cause the rub to wash off the pork?

A pork shoulder usually gives off more than enough liquid on its own but you can start it off with a cup or so water or stock to get it going and make sure it doesn't stick or scorch to the bottom. If for some reason it's evaporating more liquid than it's leaking out, just add a little more.

As for the rub, if you pull it at the end all the rub will get mixed around anyhow. Don't sweat it. Pork shoulder is very forgiving.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

Pork shoulder is very forgiving.

Yup. And it's even more forgiving in the slow cooker!

Just coat the bottom of the crock with some oil (so nothing sticks), add the pre-rubbed shoulder, and then pour in some plain water (about 1/3 to halfway up). Enough fat and juices should come out that you shouldn't need to top it off.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
When making burrito fixings, should I throw the black beans (canned/soaked) into the rice maker with the rice, or cook them separately?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

When making burrito fixings, should I throw the black beans (canned/soaked) into the rice maker with the rice, or cook them separately?

They'll still take a lot longer to cook than the rice. Cook them separately. Preferably all day and with pork products.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
If they're canned they're already cooked though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

This is true. I was talking about soaked beans.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

cook (heat) em separately. I'd add a bit of cumin, salt to taste, and simmer with a bay leaf. Adding them to the rice will just discolor the rice, and will just make the burrito more homogeneous. I think burrito filling ratios should evolve over the course of burrito consumption.

edit: vvvv epazote is great, too, but I almost never have any.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 20, 2017

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I like adding epazote and salt to black beans. Will try cumin next time.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dumb question about vermicelli noodles, the kind you use for Sesame Noodles and the like. How long are these supposed to take to cook? Everything I read on the web was like just pour hot water over them and let them soak for roughly ~15 minutes, etc.

So I did that but mine were absolutely nowhere near done, it took closer to about 40 minutes before they even started getting to what I'd call al dente. Definitely not what I'd call 'mushy' or anything. Am I doing something wrong or what, this seems like it shouldn't be real complicated.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
What did the packaging instructions say?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It said absolutely nothing :v:

They tasted fine once they finally got cooked through I'm just confused about the time disparity.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Did you cover the soaking noodles or were they uncovered?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Left them uncovered.

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
is there a general rule about what tastes better:

freeze meat -> defrost meat -> cook

or

cook meat -> freeze the cooked meat/meat-based recipe -> defrost

specifically, I have a whole chicken, turkey split breasts, and turkey cutlets (boneless). I'm definitely going to cook the cutlets, and probably going to roast the chicken and freeze the bone-in breasts. is there a general rule about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

there isn't. Chili and poo poo with lots of connective tissues are aok and sometimes better leftover.

Chicken and turkey isn't chili.