Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

fruit on the bottom posted:

As bad as the ME3 endings were, it's amazing that the fanbase was still able to come up with something even dumber like the Indoctrination Theory.

the indoctrination theory was real bad but at least imho it connected better thematically to the rest of me3 where you spend the whole time fighting indoctrinated/reaped human husks, asari banshees, turian marauders, etc as basic enemies while more broadly fighting indoctrinated organizations like Cerberus who are unwittingly playing into the reapers' hands by staging major attacks against places like the citadel - all the while shepard has been intrusively seeing a weird ghost child in his dreams even tho he's never experienced that kind of poo poo before

the climax then ends up with shepard talking down a half-indoctrinated illusive man who doesn't realize what's happened to him and when the plot goes full :lsd: shepard confronts that weird ghost child again, now revealed to be a reaper avatar, who tells him he can fix the galaxy by becoming a reaper

like i know it's obviously a total rear end pull but it jives together more than me3''s real endings, which were all phil 101 answers to a contrived eternal cycle of organosynthetic violence in a series where your trust in an AI, Edi, was key to success in me2 and in me3 she fully integrates with the crew, and as a squad member, and later develops a romance with the bloody pilot while shepard more broadly reconciles organics and synthetics through the geth and quarians - the indoctrination theory is interesting imho but less as a proper alternative and more as a contrast to highlight some of the failures of the real endings which somehow totally missed the mark despite having an entire game to set up whatever points they were trying to make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I liked the Indoctrination theory. But honestly, the best ending of ME3 would've been as simple as possible. Defeat the Reapers with some of your best friends and/or yourself dying along the way. Just do another Suicide Mission last level and call it a day.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Word on the street is that both ME and DA are on the backburner because of codename Dylan. Say what you will about Destiny/Division style of gameplay, but those are nerd catnip and makes a ton of money, and Bioware wants a piece of that cake too.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Nichael posted:

I liked the Indoctrination theory.

the synthesis ending should have been blue so that when shepard came to after picking it he can look like this because tbh the reapers were already peddling a kind of hybrid synthesis starting back in me1 with saren

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Word on the street is that both ME and DA are on the backburner because of codename Dylan. Say what you will about Destiny/Division style of gameplay, but those are nerd catnip and makes a ton of money, and Bioware wants a piece of that cake too.

I don't think Dragon Age is on the backburner. There's been too many hints that it's in development, and they've also said they don't want to announce games until they're almost finished, like Bethesda with Fallout 4. Plus, there's also that spinoff Fire Emblem-esque game they were talking about doing for DA.

I actually don't know what Destiny plays like having never played Destiny or Division. What can we expect from Dylan?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

so are they gonna release Quarian Ark or is that out the dang window now?

And someone from EA said...
Nothing you idiots, Mass Effect's dead it's on permanent hiatus!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the quarians are dead, all of them

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

hard counter posted:

the indoctrination theory was real bad but at least imho it connected better thematically to the rest of me3 where you spend the whole time fighting indoctrinated/reaped

I'm afraid that since you called Sheperd "He" your opinion is wrong. It's a shame because I agreed until then.

DA4 is definitely coming because one of the Bioware devs posts in the Dragon Age reddit and has mentioned "Until DA4 is offically announced" a few times there.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
The indoctrination theory is weird because it's obviously nonsense, and yet

there's that fuckin' mako shape in the final chamber. It doesn't fit at all, the chamber is all hard angles and is symmetrical aside from those random circles on only one side of it. They are the same size as the mako wheels and in the same position relative to the beam as the mako is.

I honesty think an environmental artist, after the top-down shite of an ending was revealed, snuck it in deliberately to suggest that the ending is a hallucination or something.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

JawKnee posted:

finally sat down to try Witcher 3 despite my dislike of Geralt. Holy poo poo it's nice to play another RPG where quests and poo poo crop up organically without you needing to always chase down waypoints

Don't worry, you'll get to that point in The Witcher 3. It happens sometime around the 5th wraith bounty quest. Falls into the same talking heads waypoint chasing that these games degrade into. Fun game though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Vitamin P posted:

there's that fuckin' mako shape in the final chamber. It doesn't fit at all, the chamber is all hard angles and is symmetrical aside from those random circles on only one side of it. They are the same size as the mako wheels and in the same position relative to the beam as the mako is.

I honesty think an environmental artist, after the top-down shite of an ending was revealed, snuck it in deliberately to suggest that the ending is a hallucination or something.

The sequence is filled with all sorts of stuff like that. Like how before Shepard is knocked down by the beam, there are no trees around the teleporter. Then, when he gets up, there are trees -- and they're the same trees from the weird nightmare sequences.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
smdh at people not seeing Control as the more interesting setting.

Reaper Shep 4 lyfe (at least until we kill them without murdering our robot buddies)

Fake Edit: Man, I just remember how loving stupid the Geth storyline ended, removing one of their most interesting aspects (the gestalt consciousness) for some Pinocchio garbage.

ME3 hosed up so many good things, in retrospect.

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 14, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

the quarians are dead, all of them

And nothing of value was lost.

Choosing the geth was the easiest decision all trilogy.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Honestly no more Mass Effect is fine at this point, it had an alright run but I never want to hear an NPC talk about the genophage or TURIANS LIKE HIERARCHY ever again.

Hopefully some other developers will seize the gap and bash out some more space opera RPGs.

See that's why I think ME1 (and to a lesser extent the rest of the trilogy) are still head and shoulders better. Yeah you heard about the genophage or stuck up the rear end turians or the rachni, but they came across like one of a million things in a big, unexplored, storied galaxy.

By 2 and especially three it's clear you will be dealing with the Big Three Things That Happened Before Humans (and that there is nothing else to see in the galaxy)

1) Quarians and the geth
2) Rachni
3) Krogan and the genophage

Hell, the map in ME3 designates a quarter of the galaxy as human space out of nowhere. That's the size of the rest of the council races combined.

Of course in Andromeda we had another chance at a big, unexplored, storied galaxy. Instead we just get the kett fighting the angara while the remnant stock up on razer hardware.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Seeing how those familiar plotlines twist, return and resolve over the course of all three games is one of the strongest features to Mass Effect. To me the universe in the original trilogy always felt expansive, because even though the same conflicts arose time and time again, they did so at interesting locations through identifiable characters that you cared about. When Bioware started parading out "exploration" as the buzzword du jour for Andromeda I knew that they had no understanding of what made ME great, because the actual open-ended exploration aspects were some of the weakest gameplay elements across all three original games. Rather it was the idea that there was a big galaxy around you doing its own thing that you saw only in brief glimpses that made the setting so interesting. In Andromeda the Heleus Cluster apparently sits on its rear end accomplishing nothing until Ryder and his magical iPod show up so that they can make him collect water samples.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzNaQeEWWfU

I think this is the in depth analysis of the future direction of the franchise we needed.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Seeing how those familiar plotlines twist, return and resolve over the course of all three games is one of the strongest features to Mass Effect. To me the universe in the original trilogy always felt expansive, because even though the same conflicts arose time and time again, they did so at interesting locations through identifiable characters that you cared about. When Bioware started parading out "exploration" as the buzzword du jour for Andromeda I knew that they had no understanding of what made ME great, because the actual open-ended exploration aspects were some of the weakest gameplay elements across all three original games. Rather it was the idea that there was a big galaxy around you doing its own thing that you saw only in brief glimpses that made the setting so interesting. In Andromeda the Heleus Cluster apparently sits on its rear end accomplishing nothing until Ryder and his magical iPod show up so that they can make him collect water samples.

I never really cared that everyone was just waiting on babby Ryder to press triangle a bunch. What disappointed me is that aside from the combat, the game is just a bunch of holding triangle, running over there, waiting for a couple of loading screens, rinse, repeat. At no time do you feel like you're actually helping to improve things despite a giant display in your room telling you that you gained +2 points on Eos. It's like the bones of a good game were there but the story and writing murdered it in its sleep.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

DancingShade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzNaQeEWWfU

I think this is the in depth analysis of the future direction of the franchise we needed.

drat, VideoGamerTV allegedly makes 13k a year from views.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nichael posted:

I don't think Dragon Age is on the backburner. There's been too many hints that it's in development, and they've also said they don't want to announce games until they're almost finished, like Bethesda with Fallout 4. Plus, there's also that spinoff Fire Emblem-esque game they were talking about doing for DA.

I actually don't know what Destiny plays like having never played Destiny or Division. What can we expect from Dylan?

Well it's going to be a sci-fi loot treadmill, and it can potentially have both coop and pvp if it's like those games, but other than those similarities they play wildly different. Destiny is a great shooter layered on top of the loot treadmill while The Division is purestrain Ubisoft garbage. With any luck it will be a loot treadmill that takes some combat cues from MEA, because at least that part wasn't terrible.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
At least The Division had a rich world and story that they spent alot of time on.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I don't like MMOs and didn't buy either of them so I probably won't buy whatever Dylan is either I guess

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I've had more fun with The Division than with Destiny. Even at launch leveling 1-30 with the Division was more interesting than leveling in Destiny which literally put me to sleep some days.

Division's problem which they fixed fairly early on was just how goddamn stingy they were with loot for the type of game it was trying to be. Once they fixed that that game became closer to the Diablo type game it should be.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Nichael posted:

Pretty much the same as andromeda as far as gameplay goes. They even said in pre release press they were taking inspiration from Destiny for gameplay, but obviously had no idea what makes Destiny's gameplay good beyond jumping around with jetpacks. Destiny's gameplay feels as good as it does because weapon damage is balanced reasonably well, enemy movement is designed to make them easier to shoot (they spent a lot of time standing still basically) and when your crosshair moves across an enemy, it slows down a bit so it's easier to avoid overshooting them when aiming. Also their autoaim system is pretty good and tied in with gun mechanics. Bioware didn't pick up on any of that stuff, so the guns in Andromeda aren't that fun and the whole thing is an unbalanced slog and combat is only made fun by the use of powers. Their no doubt sorry attempt at aping what makes games like Destiny fun is gonna fail spectacularly for that reason. So that's what you can expect I guess, a cheap knock off of decent gameplay.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nichael posted:

I really hope Andromeda flopping doesn't impact Dragon Age.

I hope the whole world of Bioware burns to the ground for what they did to Mass Effect: Andromeda. Methane's pretty flammable.

(just kidding, MEA's Bioware was a lovely B-team (mac walters included). Them being put to pasture and farmed out to other Biowares has no bearing on Dragon Age.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vitamin P posted:

Don't forget how the Extended Cut adds a bunch of weird synthetic sound effect jump scares all through the finale, hinting at the theory just so the Star Child can discount it. Casey and Mac really just wanted to drum up controversy rather than give a concrete answer with the ending.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dexo posted:

I've had more fun with The Division than with Destiny. Even at launch leveling 1-30 with the Division was more interesting than leveling in Destiny which literally put me to sleep some days.

Division's problem which they fixed fairly early on was just how goddamn stingy they were with loot for the type of game it was trying to be. Once they fixed that that game became closer to the Diablo type game it should be.

The Division's biggest problem is that it is a game in which your primary mechanic for interacting with the world is shooting dudes, and the guns feel like absolute garbage and guys with hoodies can take multiple headshots because "it's an RPG."

Also it's story is typical retarded Clancy bullshit and a lot of stuff seems really gross politically. Not really interested in playing a hyperfascist secret police character in 2017, thank you.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Division isn't an amazing game but it's not some hyperfascist police fantasy either, and claims of that are really inaccurate for anybody who has played it. The Division isn't even interesting enough to entertain that possibility.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

I feel like I would've enjoyed Andromeda a lot more if so many of the quests weren't a huge hassle. There are dozens of quests where you need to go through about a dozen to two dozen steps, many across multiple planets (and thus cinematic space transportation, loading screens, land transportation, then fighting groups at each stop, etc). So a quest which has a neat bit of lore in ME1-3 which would be over in say 5-15 minutes you feel like your time was spent well. Andromeda drags this out to be like 30minutes to hours on end.

I feel like that lovely "movie night" quest and probably Peebee loyalty missions are the worst offenders.

Movie night you do a bunch of lovely collecting bear asses to get some awful awkward bonding moment. I swear it's written for the same weirdos that stroked off to the Citadel DLC allowing you to "hang out" with you fake video game friends.

Peebee you go through a bunch of garbage only to have Peebee decide to give up on an important piece of technology to try and save a former friend turned serious enemy that has literally stolen from you and tried to kill you multiple times. So you spend hours going to different planets doing all this bullshit only to have the game edge you towards saving the enemy, because Peebee makes a decision nobody would, you have no reason to unless you renegade out. It's just loving dumb.

But then the game has some neat parts like the Asari ark where you gotta decide if a bodyguard made the right call letting the pathfinder they protected due to save many others.

Also everyone making GBS threads on ME1 like it gives you "I'm objective" credit to crap on Andromeda is stupid. Mass Effect 1 is dated, yeah, the planetary exploration with the Mako sucked but even now it's a solid enough game. The combat is good enough that you can play it but most important the world building is superb.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

exquisite tea posted:

The Division isn't an amazing game but it's not some hyperfascist police fantasy either, and claims of that are really inaccurate for anybody who has played it. The Division isn't even interesting enough to entertain that possibility.

The PC in the Division runs around killing and looting, looters. It is so dumb, in my opinion. You can find many jokes about the looters in Tom Clancy's The Division.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

DrNutt posted:

The Division's biggest problem is that it is a game in which your primary mechanic for interacting with the world is shooting dudes, and the guns feel like absolute garbage and guys with hoodies can take multiple headshots because "it's an RPG."

This is why I couldn't get into it. Destiny it works because you're all space dudes in space armour.

Also Destiny was a mess on release but to Bungie's serious credit they have vastly improved the game's story, drops and everything basically.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The level of world detail in the Division really is an achievement, like they totally nailed the scale and scope of lower Manhattan in wintertime and that's awesome. But then they decided to overlay a rather bland third-person shooter on top of it. There's not even any biotics!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

exquisite tea posted:

Imagine if you'd turned up in Andromeda and the Heleus cluster is the front in a war between two unimaginably ancient empires. One can be Synthetic, why not. The kett serve one group and the Angara serve the other. The Kett do what they already do and the Angara are still a created race. Or modified one, whatever. They're really glad that a new power has shown up and might be able to shift the stalemate.
Both of them can talk about the rest of their empire and situation in the galaxy as a whole, or at least around them.

Then it's playing with the idea that the galaxy CAN have ancient races in, it's doing some synthetics stuff but it's still keeping the base stuff. I know I've posted this before but man it would have fitted so much better into the framework of Mass Effect. And it would have been much more interesting to explore.

There's a novelist called china mieville and he does such a good job of establishing things happening beyond what you're seeing/reading. I wish they'd taken a leaf out of his book.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

The Unnamed One posted:

smdh at people not seeing Control as the more interesting setting.

Reaper Shep 4 lyfe (at least until we kill them without murdering our robot buddies)

Why not just make Dune 2 the game and forget about it

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Because Westwood beat everyone to the punch in that case.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

The nu-Citadel is flailing pre-Ryder because they don't even have enough power to keep the lights on. Patching in the Hyperion's plant is really what gets things moving again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Power problems make no loving sense in Mass Effect considering the technology they're working with. Of course the whole Andromeda initiative is such a boondoggle that maybe it does stand to reason that an over designed under powered space station crewed by idiots would run into power issues and mass starvation. Rather than doing the smart thing and putting all but a skeleton crew into cryo pods until they sorted poo poo out.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
The Division's overarching story is literally contained in one room, everything else is dismantling the three big factions. But when you find out it's a straight up green-party PETA ecoterrorist that caused the event, you realize this is a Tom Clancy game.

As for gameplay, it was 90% point generic bullet-weapon at targets and 10% unimaginative powers. They didn't fix enemy health levels until everyone all but abandoned the game.

Seriously gently caress The Division, don't trust reviews of pre-play weekends because they only capture a small moment in a game that never expands beyond it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rather than doing the smart thing and putting all but a skeleton crew into cryo pods until they sorted poo poo out.

They tried doing that, it sparked the uprising and exiles.

So, once again, it comes down to idiots.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Maybe the mysterious Backer did something to the cryo that turned everyone into an idiot except Ryder, whose SAM implant unconsciously protected them.

We'll never know tho since lol there wont be a sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
the ryder twins are also idiots