Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
On the plus side, Jesse Singal finally admitted he made a widdle woopsie (by purposely 'misreading' a study like every other regressive prick who tried to do harm to trans kids)

https://twitter.com/CartaMonir/status/979020962166394880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

"We regret to inform you we made a lil oopsie..."

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Mars4523 posted:

Have some surprise Lindsay. Also, why am I still awake?

"The Hobbit: A Long-Expected Autopsy (Part 1/2)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs

That ending actually made me tear up a bit.

Fantastic video, IMO.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Fantastic video, IMO.

Yea it was really good and I'm eagerly awaiting part 2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mars4523 posted:

Echoing that this was good and it's great to have context on what was made different from the book and stuff. I gleaned that the movie is just way too long for the material they had to work with, but the bit about them trying to turn The little Engine who Could into Mad Max certainly helps.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Any critical work based on idolizing the Lord of the Rings movies isn't very good. There's mind-blowing pop art like Die Nibelungen. which perfected "epic fantasy" in 1924 and preemptively surpassed Tolkien, and there's stuff like Lord of the Rings, without a sense for aesthetics or beauty, where any visual enchantment is lost through lack of contrast.

Also the video was just kind of stating obvious remarks people have made about the movies for years.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

On the plus side, Jesse Singal finally admitted he made a widdle woopsie (by purposely 'misreading' a study like every other regressive prick who tried to do harm to trans kids)

Not even a sorry. Hot garbage person.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Well I have no idea who this guy is (does he even count as an internet critic?) but from what I can gather, the following occurred:

1. Some people in Holland apparently did a study regarding gender dysphoria in children, and how often it goes away in adulthood.
2. A lot of people refuted the claims of the study, saying it hadn’t collected data properly.
3. Now this guy is posting a refutation of the refutation, saying that the data was gathered properly and that the study was mostly valid after all.

So what does any of this have to do with perpetuating violence or being a Nazi?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Leal posted:

I dunno if that tumblr was updated since I last saw it, but another lolDougWalker thing that should be mentioned is him starting the #REACT #WTFU or where is the fair use when his channel got demonetized then basically hopped off as soon as the channel got monetized again.

It seems so long ago since that happened, or at least seems like it happened years back when it really only started around the beginning of 2016, like three to four years after YouTube really started putting Content ID to work and even more in regards to it just being hard for things to always stay stable on the site.

Like pretty much everyone could see he was only making noise at that moment because Blip had shut down the year prior and YouTube was the "Best" place for him to focus on.

Also that he was dumbfounded it happened to him over a positive review of a Ghibli movie like he had been away from the YouTube game for so long he couldn't wrap his head around why a positive video would get a strike or the footage blocked. It was like he had generally assumed only negative videos ever got taken down or something up until that point.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Other reasons why Die Nibelungen is better than Lord of the Rings:

- It's progressive: the story is ultimately driven by two strong women, both simultaneously heroine and villainess, and end up defying and dominating a milieu ruled by powerful men in response to being wronged by them.

- It's morally complex: it presents a story that's not so much about good versus evil, but about people fighting for what they believe in, making them simultaneously noble and ignoble.

- It recognizes that Orcs are people: despite being weird wild men, the Huns are an entirely sympathetic party, fighting for a righteous cause.

- There's a dwarf character very obviously played by a man walking in a squat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bakeneko posted:

Well I have no idea who this guy is (does he even count as an internet critic?) but from what I can gather, the following occurred:

1. Some people in Holland apparently did a study regarding gender dysphoria in children, and how often it goes away in adulthood.
2. A lot of people refuted the claims of the study, saying it hadn’t collected data properly.
3. Now this guy is posting a refutation of the refutation, saying that the data was gathered properly and that the study was mostly valid after all.

So what does any of this have to do with perpetuating violence or being a Nazi?

he gets used a lot as an example of a Rational Science Man who isn't a BIGOT just using science to do science debate with science. He and many others used a study with a tiny sample size, loaded questions, and poor questioning in general to say 'well I'm just saying THE DATA says most kids who say they're trans are just going through a phase'. Now people are finally admitting this is not what it says, never what the study even claimed, and it's a bad study.

He would have known this if he didn't constantly block trans experts who said 'uh no this is wrong' and didn't run around saying he was actually being victimized by Big Trans.

So him presenting it as an aw shucks silly goof that doesn't even mean he was bad because ~the conversation~ was important is pretty loving rich.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

So he’s another Jordan Peterson, then? I see.

Although, judging by his Medium article, it appears that he still basically supports the study. Unless what he's saying about it is wildly different from whatever he said before, of course.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
No he does, he and others actually underestimated not overestimated that the study claims went back from considering themselves on the desist side, but he's still taking a complete bunk study and going 'aw beans I done goofed up reading it (trans kids are still just going through a phase though)' in an attempt to look like a big boy scientist.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Nyx Fears discusses a documentary (?) about a supposedly haunted house, by the guy who hosts Ghost Adventures. It sounds like...something.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Considering that they're mostly 'top X lists about video games', OutsideXbox is a suprisingly good channel, mainly because the hosts are likable and have fun chemistry with each other.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
on a happier note, I've fallen DEEP in a Disney Hole after someone linked Defunctland and Offhand Disney as good theme park/Disney history youtubers. Anyone got more?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

OldMemes posted:

Considering that they're mostly 'top X lists about video games', OutsideXbox is a suprisingly good channel, mainly because the hosts are likable and have fun chemistry with each other.

Oh man, these are among the very few actually entertaining LPers. I highly recommend their Hitman LPs.

And yeah, their other content is A+++

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Lindsay's next video on the Hobbit could be improved by splitting it into two parts.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

on a happier note, I've fallen DEEP in a Disney Hole after someone linked Defunctland and Offhand Disney as good theme park/Disney history youtubers. Anyone got more?

There's a history podcast called History Honeys hosted by goon General Ironicus (Grant) and his wife Alaina that has done a few episodes that go into the history of the different sections of Disney World, such as one episode on Magic Kingdom, one episode on EPCOT, etc.

Other episodes include big disasters, works strikes, Stan Lee, and more.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Mars4523 posted:

Have some surprise Lindsay. Also, why am I still awake?

That ending actually made me tear up a bit.

Great video, aside from treating Go Set A Watchman as a sequel and not a first draft of To Kill A Mockingbird that got pushed out to make a quick buck while the author was not of sound mind to object.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Lindsay's next video on the Hobbit could be improved by splitting it into two parts.

Then split the second of those videos into two parts, the second of those into two parts, and on and on so Achilles can never truly finish his argument

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

sexpig by night posted:

'well I'm just saying THE DATA says most kids who say they're trans are just going through a phase'.

I've got a bag of THE DATA here (holds up a cloth sack with $ crossed out and THE DATA written in sharpie)

It says hetrosexuality is "just a phase" that some kids go through. And don't try to tell me about how you feel and who you love, it's quite obvious that SCIENCE allows one to determine someone elses' sexuality and sexual preferences.

So since that's irrefutable, drop those Big Science Boy trousers and get ready to take a hot load of HARD SCIENCE up yer butty-butt.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

There's a history podcast called History Honeys hosted by goon General Ironicus (Grant) and his wife Alaina that has done a few episodes that go into the history of the different sections of Disney World, such as one episode on Magic Kingdom, one episode on EPCOT, etc.

Other episodes include big disasters, works strikes, Stan Lee, and more.

I'm way out of date, but I loved the episode about the guy who loved explosives so much he found a way to explode himself while in prison.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lornekates posted:

I've got a bag of THE DATA here (holds up a cloth sack with $ crossed out and THE DATA written in sharpie)

It says hetrosexuality is "just a phase" that some kids go through. And don't try to tell me about how you feel and who you love, it's quite obvious that SCIENCE allows one to determine someone elses' sexuality and sexual preferences.

So since that's irrefutable, drop those Big Science Boy trousers and get ready to take a hot load of HARD SCIENCE up yer butty-butt.

welp, can't argue with data

*willfully ignores the countless ages of human history where data has been manipulated and used for regressive causes*

data is numbers and that's science, what are you anti-science?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

It'd be kind of interesting to see her do another take on them, though. A post-hobbit reflection following these videos I guess

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The last one should just be her entire final point stretched to fill a full video-length.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm way out of date, but I loved the episode about the guy who loved explosives so much he found a way to explode himself while in prison.

The Haymarket Affair is in my top 2 episodes specifically because of that man.

"No I didn't set a bomb off at a rally, I was at home making bombs!"

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Brad went to see RP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mnwp2ZNfs4

One of the shortest, shallowest Midnight Screenings for a long time! They've basically got nothing to say about it other than "yeah, we had fun watching this." :D

Also, Brad - I appreciate your Silent Bob cosplay. :)

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Other reasons why Die Nibelungen is better than Lord of the Rings:

- It's progressive: the story is ultimately driven by two strong women, both simultaneously heroine and villainess, and end up defying and dominating a milieu ruled by powerful men in response to being wronged by them.

- It's morally complex: it presents a story that's not so much about good versus evil, but about people fighting for what they believe in, making them simultaneously noble and ignoble.

- It recognizes that Orcs are people: despite being weird wild men, the Huns are an entirely sympathetic party, fighting for a righteous cause.

- There's a dwarf character very obviously played by a man walking in a squat.

Orcs are orcs not people, if they were people they'd be called that

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I was reading the 14 year old Onion article, "Why No One Want Make Hulk 2?" and think I found the inspiration behind Film Crit's Hulk entire horrible gimmick.

https://entertainment.theonion.com/why-no-one-want-make-hulk-2-1819584105

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Conal Cochran posted:

I was reading the 14 year old Onion article, "Why No One Want Make Hulk 2?" and think I found the inspiration behind Film Crit's Hulk entire horrible gimmick.

https://entertainment.theonion.com/why-no-one-want-make-hulk-2-1819584105

Even that article was smart enough to realize that all caps is loving unreadable.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have never felt any desire to see a Hobbit movie and now feel validated in that total absence of desire. Still, a good autopsy is always worthwhile, and this one seems in the tradition of the Red Letter Media ones, just sharper and smarter.

I wonder how much goodwill for the Lord of the Rings movies was dampened or killed by those Hobbit movies. It doesn’t seem Matrix-sequel bad, but I never much hear about marathons of the movies or new editions of them, whereas before the Hobbit series it seems like there was more fan activity and dedicated marketing.

It will always make me a little sad that Stephen Colbert’s last guest on the Colbert Report was Smaug, although he loved it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
To this day I have not seen The Hobbit 3, and I'm pretty happy with that decision. Movie 2 is already one of the most bloated, bullshit movies I've ever seen; I dread to think of how the conclusion turned out.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
My friend and I saw Desolation of Smaug together and it was pretty funny. Dwarves surfing on lava, people turning into light bulbs, infinitely recursive shots. The ticket stub we got said The Desolat so we pretended we saw some art film called Le Desolat and went on about how deep it was.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

There's a 30 minute action sequence in which the dwarves forge a giant statue of gold to kill Smaug with and it doesn't work. He just flies away. And as a viewer you know the entire thing is a waste of your time, but it just keeps loving going and it looks like poo poo and it's awful

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Basically Peter Jackson is the new George Lucas- a formerly talented man driven to laziness and over-reliance on digital effects.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And as with George Lucas, the original product is horrendously over-hyped.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

And as with George Lucas, the original product is horrendously over-hyped.

Yeah, I never understood why people liked Howard the Duck so much.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

To this day I have not seen The Hobbit 3, and I'm pretty happy with that decision. Movie 2 is already one of the most bloated, bullshit movies I've ever seen; I dread to think of how the conclusion turned out.

I had a similar trajectory to that of Lindsay’s experience with it. I saw the first film within the first week of it opening, came out of it thinking “oh god, this really should have just been two movies,” saw the second one reluctantly and was just worn out by it completely, and then skipped the third one in theatres. I watched it a while later on video but I barely paid attention to it and by the end of it I was just depressed.

There is a fan edit out there of the film that’s easily findable that cuts the trilogy down into a single 4 hour film by hacking away everything that wasn’t in the Hobbit book itself (that includes both the stuff Jackson created wholecloth and the material curbed by Tolkien’s other writings like the White Council and Dol Guldur), and then tightening even that up further by reining in a lot of the stuff Jackson just went too far on.

I’ve been meaning to watch it at some point, though I don’t imagine I’ll get even halfway through it before I give up because I’m not sure that The Hobbit is one of those films that can be saved in the edit, and watching it the first time around already killed my affection for Middle Earth.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Mar 29, 2018

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
To be honest about something the Hobbit gave me one of my most treasured movie memories, but not in a way that flatters the movie. A couple of Christmases ago the entire family was over at our parents house and I was looking for movies to watch with my 12 year old niece, who I always enjoy hanging with. The Hobbit happened to be on TV, I hadn't seen them in a while and I knew she liked fantasy stuff so we started watching that. The thing is she started to notice all the off putting qualities about the movie and kept on pointing out things like the lovely special effects, bizarre pacing and catastrophic tonal issues, we ended up watching the three movies over three days just ripping on it all the way through and having a laugh, I was astonished that I hadn't noticed how bad they could get the first time I watched and it was pretty funny to see my niece turn into a miniature Mr Plinkett for this series, usually she's not particularly discriminating but even a child could see something was wrong with those movies.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

It's a joyless grotesque murder carnival that has to be endured to believed. But for those who don't want to, here's the abridged version

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 29, 2018

• Locked thread