Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Alabaster White posted:

Are Automatics ever worth it? I'm doing some number-crunching and it seems like they're woefully underpowered compared to semi-autos. Is their DPS way better from the improved fire rate or something?

Automatics are indeed worth it. If only because with a decent legendary and the right perks you'll just rampage through stuff.

Failing that the capacity to just dump a clip in something that gets too close and can wreck you is priceless. By the time you get to the end game they can do some hilarious damage. Doubly so if you pick one up with explosive rounds. At that point you can just hold LMB down and enjoy gibbing every character on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

frajaq posted:

Why is there no option for commandeering the Prydwen USS Constitution after slaughtering its crew? You missed a chance there Bethesda. :colbert:

Well I mean, technically you can sieze the Constitution by killing its entire crew. You're taking over a ship that's on top of a building though. What the hell are you gonna do with it?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The cheesy way to get Curie to like you is to bring Dogmeat to her and then shoot dogmeat and stimpack him. You have to wait a few hours between doing it though.

She loves that poo poo.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Magmarashi posted:

VA pools don't tend to be super deep when you want a particular level of quality or reliability, it feels like. Either that or everybody really likes the same dozen or so VAs a whole bunch.

I generally don't notice VAs, but I do keep getting surprised by Tuvok being captain of the Prydwynn.

Alabaster White posted:

I just realized that perk bonuses factor into the listed damage on the parts menu, so automatics looked unbelievably bad compared to semi-autos cause it was like a boosted 60 vs an unboosted 14. I'll try some autos this run, I guess.

I'm tempted to put some points in automatics after swapping my laser rifle over to an auto barrel for a bit. Even at zero perks versus 4 points in Rifleman, it chewed things up pretty good. And now I recently found an Institute rifle that ignores 30% of enemy resistances, which seems to make a pretty big difference.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Brazilian-Portuguese and Italian translations have been added. With these additions, Full Dialogue Interface now supports all Western languages. The only ones remaining that I'm aware of are Russian (which I believe shadwar has covered himself), Chinese, and Japanese.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

King Vidiot posted:

I've read that she "dislikes violence", does that mean I can't kill anybody ever because that's kind of going to interfere with 90% of my gameplay.

Nah, just that she doesn't like if you instigate it. Try to use peaceful dialogue options first, even if it seems futile, she loves that.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Has anyone run into a bug where you can't die? I get down to zero health and my HUD disappears for like 2 seconds while I have semiblurred vision and then I'm back at full health.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to automatics is that they don't really seem to decrease the accuracy of your guns. Couple that with lightly touching the mouse and you can still do precision shooting with single or triple shots at range.

Edit: Some guy posted a video way back of someone literally being decapitated by a deathclaw and not dying. Complete with that area not being able to be hit by damage any more and him not being able to equip helmets and glasses. Though funnily enough it did reduce his perception to 0.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cael posted:

Has anyone run into a bug where you can't die? I get down to zero health and my HUD disappears for like 2 seconds while I have semiblurred vision and then I'm back at full health.

Heard about it, did you recently do the quest "Confidence Man"? It's a known issue that can be caused by the first part of that quest.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Broken Cog posted:

Heard about it, did you recently do the quest "Confidence Man"? It's a known issue that can be caused by the first part of that quest.

Damnit. I knew about how it caused the NPCs in that quest to not die but I didn't think that was extending to me too. Ugh ... Guess I need to wait for a patch.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So what customisations are necessary to make the pipe pistol not suck? At first glance it'd be pure damage but maybe it's better suited as an smg? Also I tried giving it reflex sights and holy hell does that modification suck in usability.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I can't figure out settlements. I've resigned myself to 80% happiness as an effective cap, but the populations make no sense.

I have 15 CHA. :shrug:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Why is there no option for commandeering the PrydwenYangtze after slaughtering its crew? You missed a chance there Bethesda. :colbert:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I tried fixing the quest by resurrecting Glory, who had died during that one mission, but I appear to be unable to resurrect her. There is also no way to reset Desdemona, so

You'd think we would have seen a patch by now but I guess Bethesda is on vacation this week.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Why can't dogmeat wear dog armor?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

khy posted:

Why can't dogmeat wear dog armor?

You have to hit t to equip things on NPCs. Give him welding goggles and a bandanna too.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Magmarashi posted:

Then the big complaint would be 'Why, in the middle of a civilized and organized city as large as Boston, do they tolerate an entire tower of Super Mutants/Factory full of raiders?'
I guess what I'm arguing is that I want Boston to feel unsafe, but not THAT unsafe. Like yes, you can totally turn down a wrong corner and found a den of drug addicted Raiders or find a Super Mutant strong hold or an infestation of fear ghouls. But the area shouldn't feel like a warzone. As it stands, it's kind of hard to imagine someone coming to and through which makes it hard to imagine why you would live in Diamond City anyway.

The stuff with the Fiends works because they feel like a nuisance. They're an issue for the NCR who struggles to get loving rid of them, but they're out of the way and don't stop life for the average person.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cael posted:

Damnit. I knew about how it caused the NPCs in that quest to not die but I didn't think that was extending to me too. Ugh ... Guess I need to wait for a patch.

Couldn't you just console command yourself to be not essential if you're on PC?

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Orange Colored Sky feels out of place in this game, It;'s more appropriate for New Vegas. Literally.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I did Nick's personal quest, but didn't get a unique perk out of it. Doesn't each companion have a perk you get for reaching their max affinity and doing their quest? Nick's quest is the first one I've done so I'm not sure how this works.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

You have to hit t to equip things on NPCs. Give him welding goggles and a bandanna too.

T does nothing? Maybe I rebound it, what action is it supposed to be?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I keep being killed because when I try to switch weapons nothing happens. Like my guy is rummaging around in his backpack frantically and can't find his sniper rifle. Is there a way to fix this? It seems to mostly only happen with my sniper rifle.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

khy posted:

T does nothing? Maybe I rebound it, what action is it supposed to be?

It should display in the dialog when you're focused on their inventory as "Equip" and whatever you've bound to it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I did Nick's personal quest, but didn't get a unique perk out of it. Doesn't each companion have a perk you get for reaching their max affinity and doing their quest? Nick's quest is the first one I've done so I'm not sure how this works.

You might have to talk with him afterwards to get it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Archonex posted:

Edit: Some guy posted a video way back of someone literally being decapitated by a deathclaw and not dying. Complete with that area not being able to be hit by damage any more and him not being able to equip helmets and glasses. Though funnily enough it did reduce his perception to 0.

And in a surprise twist, the player character is revealed to be a synth!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

It should display in the dialog when you're focused on their inventory as "Equip" and whatever you've bound to it.

You're right. I just didn't see it because I was trying to get him to equip wraparound goggles. It has to be welding goggles not wraparounds. On the plus side the wraparounds look pretty good on me.

I'm not really thrilled with the armor or outfit looks in the game thus far. Granted, I'm not far enough in yet but hopefully I come across something that appeals to me soon.

khy fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 23, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Wingnut Ninja posted:

And in a surprise twist, the player character is revealed to be a synth!

It's a pretty great bug. Though i'm not sure it's entirely a bug. More like an emergent result of a new feature. Many enemies can live without limbs now. And I think Deathclaws can even survive (very rarely) without their heads. It seems to be a percentage thing whether it kills them. So I assume there's like a .01 percent chance that a human could survive sans head.

Long story short this video sums it up. The Commonwealth is a rough place. :v: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d281zIzo2rs

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Finishing their quest doesn't necessarily mean you're at max affinity.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How do I find a provisioner to unassign them? It appears I'm maxed out and need to reassign some settlements but I have idea how to know where they are or what settlement they are from.

Edit: also I have hit a bug where the tense combat music never turns off and it SUCKS!

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Vault 81. Is there anything to do here? Katy wants me to tell stories to her kids, but the quest doesn't advance past 'Talk to Katy' and she doesn't leave her room.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Zodium posted:

I can't figure out settlements. I've resigned myself to 80% happiness as an effective cap, but the populations make no sense.

I have 15 CHA. :shrug:

Some items seem to actually bug out settlements. Try deleting all the TV's and jukeboxes. I did that in Sanctuary Hills and it fixed it. Which is notable since I had turned the house with the power armor station into a post apocalyptic disco complete with mirror ball and jukebox right after I moved in. From that point on it was always bugged and showing 0 in resources when I was away from the cell it's in.

Protons posted:

Vault 81. Is there anything to do here? Katy wants me to tell stories to her kids, but the quest doesn't advance past 'Talk to Katy' and she doesn't leave her room.

There is. There's an entire quest and dungeon related to the place.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Protons posted:

If you wanna tell stories to the kids you'll need to wait til school is in session. Go speak to Erin and pick up the quest to find her cat, things will develop from there.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Protons posted:

That happened to me and the answer is "advance time until you can interact with people". Katy has to be in class in order to do that quest, and if you spend enough time in Vault 81 or do the missing cat quest then another scripted quest will start.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Also, regarding Vault 81, on the quest you get after rescuing the cat, absolutely 100% do not let you, your companion, or any other thing get hit by the enemies, even once, or you'll be given a permanent debuff to your max HP which can only be cured by the dick move option at the end of the quest, or by console spawning in an item. Things like power armor might mitigate the risk but no guarantees. If the console is off limits to you be prepared to savescum, or live with the debuff forever.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Vargs posted:

Finishing their quest doesn't necessarily mean you're at max affinity.

Oh, ok.

Also, I looked where to to get back to where the freedom trail is since even the freedom trail quest doesn't list it, and wow. The Molecular Level is the second-to-last main quest in the game? That seems really short.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
If I wanted to boost my carry weight with the console, is it safe to set it to anything or is there a limit where poo poo gets buggy?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm not seeing Gauss or Railway rifles yet, but can they be converted into pistols now?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I just realized that you can switch the vats coloring on the loading screens with Q.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
So, I finished this. I don't know, I think it is Bethesda's best game in a while. It certainly grabbed me early on - but you can clearly see them aping things without much concern for making them good. A voiced protagonist? Check. A factional conflict ala New Vegas? Check. A story attempting to deal with complex themes to make video games art? Check. Simplifying skills? Check.

Like, holy hell, the story just piles up like a freeway car crash around the time you meet Father. And then you're thrust into this web of factions, all who seem terrible for one reason or another, but there's no ability to slap them around and establish your own order.

Curie kind of encapsulates my issues with FO4. She's a neat character, really - who then gets a typical 'real boy' plot because she thinks she needs inspiration. It's kind of ridiculous because she seems perfectly sentient and self-aware based on the terminals in her vault. There's no option to maybe keep her as a machine or otherwise explain to her that it might not be great being a human in the wasteland. You can either help her become a real girl (with an appearance based off the girl from Ex Machina) or do nothing. And then none of her dialog changes, so her quirks become kind of terrible as opposed to funny. For a game that was exploring the tired human or machine sci-fi plot, there's absolutely no discussion about the differences or issues between the two 'races' and so the tension and drama falls flat.

They also do nothing with the settlement system.

Absolutely no depth to any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002

Protons posted:

Are the kids in the classroom? I had to wait until the next morning for the kids to come back to class so I could tell them stories.

• Locked thread